ImageImageImageImage

Gortat's Interview (on SVG panicking, on contract issues)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Jiwol
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,295

Re: Gortat's Interview (on SVG panicking, on contract issues) 

Post#41 » by Jiwol » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:07 pm

J_Magic wrote:Perhaps there is some Polish Magic supporters that can give an accurate translation instead then.

OMG, and who do you think I am?

Read first words of the first post here:
Jiwol wrote:Here's my translation of short but interesting interview with The Polish Hammer.
TheRevTy
Starter
And1: 0

Post#42 » by TheRevTy » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:08 pm

Jiwol, in your opinion, is this something we should be worried about?
Jiwol
Assistant Coach

Post#43 » by Jiwol » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:15 pm

TheRevTy wrote:Jiwol, in your opinion, is this something we should be worried about?

I don't know about his comments on SVG, I was stunned too when I read that. If Magic brass read that, I'm sure thay're gonna be pissed at Marcin and he's gonna have a lot of trouble. I hope Gortat won't find me and kill me here in Poland for translating his words.

But as for Gortat's departure it seems very probable. Gortat says he's not gonna stay in the same role as he had this season. Now, if we trade away Tony and promise his minutes to Gortat, than I think he'd like to stay.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,362

Post#44 » by Bensational » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:40 pm

i'm gonna throw this out there, and maybe Jiwol could give me his opinion on whether i'm correct in my thinking or if i'm just propogating stereotypes.... but i've often found European people to be very direct in their meanings. maybe some of it is lost in translation, but the ones i have worked with have never beat around the bush. and i don't think it's a matter of airing dirty laundry, but maybe just saying it how it is?

either way, it still sounds as though Gortat already has his heart set on leaving. "offense will come on another team". "one of us will be starting on another team next year".
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#45 » by rcklsscognition » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:47 am

I translated the article myself and it read a bit nicer than what was posted earlier. When gortat was talking about SVG, it seemed he was talking about SVG's emotion when things go bad, and we all know he does panic when people make mistakes. He throws fits, for good reason, when players mess up. He throws his hands around and gestures, that's what Gortat was talking about. I don't think he was saying anything bad about him. He says it makes the guys nervous.

And for the offense stuff, he was saying the same thing Dwight says at the beginning of every season, that coach says i need to focus on defense and rebounding, then the offense will come. Gortat admits he doesn't have a developed offensive game yet and that the only reason he scores is because he puts effort and energy into the offensive boards. He didn't seem to say anything bad about not getting plays called for him.

At the end he says it's either Turk or him next season and that one of them will be playing somewhere else.
Mallpha
Ballboy

Post#46 » by Mallpha » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:02 am

J_Magic wrote:Perhaps there is some Polish Magic supporters that can give an accurate translation instead then.

It is very accurate and that newspaper wont twist or write any thing if its not 100% truth. As for what Gortat said you have to realise two things his polish and we have some sort of special dificulties of saing that things are allrigth if there aint, even if its not a big deal. Generaly I would pay really too much attention to that its wasnt much of "oh ah he panics" was more like he lets player feels he aint 100% confident about what his doing in moments of preasure. He was asked a question he gave honest anwser. About him indicating he or Hedo will leave Its not obvious but it seams like he realises Magic will rather keep Hedo so its pretty obvious he will be the one to go.

Personaly i belive his flustrated that SVG still doesnt trust him a bit and cant blame him. His never on the court when games on the line. Im not saing he should take Dwight place becouse it would be ridiculous but maybe Batties at time, if your coach doesnt trust in your abilities after you have proven your self worthy how can you?

About him sounding like his leaving well before this season started he actualy was considering commign back to Europe it wasnt for money but he wanted to play as much as posible and indicated he will go where that can be done his first priorty was to stay in NBA if he could get stable plaing time.

No idea if its any importat but as long as Gortat never really indicated in press he will leave Orlando most peoples i know here connected in some way with basketball world belive that Gortat in a way got very low value for Orlando. What more Magic cant really offert him plaing time he would expect for obvius reasons. On the other hand he is belived to be cheap defensive oriented decent big that so many teams could use (suprising for me Spurs are mostly mentioned here).

As Magic fan im not 100% sure about Gortat and to be honest i would rather see McDyess on bench even if Marcin will become a startign material in the future i belive every team to be a true contender needs a coold blooded veteran that can help young team like Magic in those crucial moments.

As Gortat fan I would rather see him in a team like Thunder where he could get some tuches on the offensive end and actualy get some starter plaing time.

All in all I belive Magic can do better with out Gortat even if he will become a starter and Gortat can develop faster if he leave Magic. I realise itsa shame to let a player walk especialy before we really know his true value but i dont think he could co exist with Dwight long term and at this point keeping Hedo seams a less gambler choice.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,624

Post#47 » by Howard Mass » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:13 am

I feel it is a foregone conclusion that Gortat is gone after this season.

My hope is he heads overseas so The Magic retain rights to him as a restricted free agent. This could set up a sign and trade deal in the future.

They simply cannot afford to pay two backup bigs (battie $6.2. million) and Gortat at least $4 million.

Could Gortat develop into something more?

Sure.

However, the Magic could use some cheaper options who could prehaps light a fire under this team and provide some toughness.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
JazzItUp13
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#48 » by JazzItUp13 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:29 am

if gortat isn't on the magic so be it...but i bet it will crush the guy in 117 (i think that's the section) who is like his biggest fan...LOL
I got a question why they hating on me....
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#49 » by lovehoops01 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:49 am

About Stan...perhaps something is lost in the translation between panic and losing his temper?

But I can't say I would be surprised to see Gortat look to leave. I said it even before Jiwol posted this very mini-interview. However, Gortat spoke very differently when he was on the radio here in the past couple weeks. It would be dismaying if he is talking out of both sides of his mouth.

But he backs up Dwight, who plays all but about 8-10 minutes most games. Gortat clearly wants to start and will look to go to a team that will promise him a shot at starting, even if they don't mean it (Yes, some teams lie to players to get them to sign with them. Though Gortat does show promise so that isn't out of the question.)
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#50 » by FFBlitzace » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:51 am

I love that quality in Stan. I don't think it's panic. I think it's just Stan realizing, unlike any player on our roster, that the game isn't over until its over. If only some of the players shared that quality.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#51 » by lovehoops01 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:27 am

FFBlitzace wrote:I love that quality in Stan. I don't think it's panic. I think it's just Stan realizing, unlike any player on our roster, that the game isn't over until its over. If only some of the players shared that quality.

For the same reason that a lot of fans like Stan, there are probably a lot of players (see Shaq, for instance) who would not enjoy playing for him. They don't like coaches yelling at them, even when the things the coach says only are designed to wake them up and make them play better. Even when that coach gives them a lot of freedom (which gives them responsibility, too).
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#52 » by paperboymafia » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:27 pm

respectable daily paper or not, i still dont fully buy this, and it only circulates 150k - in the whole of poland that isnt much.

gortat has been a class act thus far, and to suddenly say all this, at playoff time, seems extremely out of line
Versubio
Veteran
And1: 209

Post#53 » by Versubio » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:40 pm

Well, if Gortat doesn't want to re-sign, the Magic can always sign and trade him. He's a restricted FA after all.
Jiwol
Assistant Coach

Post#54 » by Jiwol » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:00 pm

paperboymafia wrote:respectable daily paper or not, i still dont fully buy this, and it only circulates 150k - in the whole of poland that isnt much.

gortat has been a class act thus far, and to suddenly say all this, at playoff time, seems extremely out of line

Well. What can you say while you live in a country where tabloids sell millions of copies. You are suspicious of press because everything British people read is The Sun, Daily Mirror and other worthless pieces of crap, caring more about Big Brother participants rather then providing any inormation. Polish press doesn't have a history of making up stuff like British press do.

And if you read my previous translation of huge Gortat's article you'd know that he talks a lot on different topics while speaking in his own language. It's much easier for him to express exactly what he wants to say. For example he admitted that he likes to drive his car faster than 150 mph. Would you consider that good conduct and good PR move?
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#55 » by TheRevTy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:12 pm

Denton wrote an article about it. Not good for Polish Hammer.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,862

Post#56 » by Last Guardian » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:20 pm

I really like Gortats game. Hopefully he goes to NYC where I could watch him regularly.

Boy did that Lewis contract hurt us quicker than expected.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,468

Post#57 » by DiplomaticMagic » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:23 pm

Bye-Bye Gortat :(
Stop playing Fultz
Play AB and Goga
NBlue
Rookie
And1: 714

Post#58 » by NBlue » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:27 pm

Denton calls out Marcin and quotes the Polish paper:
http://www.floridatoday.com/article/200 ... 063/SPORTS

If we advance to the second round my guess is this is going to be a national story, not a local one. Dumb, dumb, dumb statements by Marcin. Does he not understand how translations work???
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#59 » by lovehoops01 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:52 pm

TheChaser wrote:Well I've also heard from Hoopsworld (mabye you like it, probably not), that he wants his agent to do whatever it takes to keep him here. It was brought up in one of Steve Kylers little chats.

If anything, that would make me believe that he is gone for sure.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,362

Post#60 » by Bensational » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:25 pm

Solid Snake wrote:I really like Gortats game. Hopefully he goes to NYC where I could watch him regularly.

Boy did that Lewis contract hurt us quicker than expected.

mmm.... with all the regular season success i've been able to look past that recently. i'm not lookin forward to an offseason of bitching if that is the case. i might have to call an RGM holiday.

Return to Orlando Magic