ImageImageImage

Stefanski And The Cap

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 17,696
And1: 5
Joined: Aug 26, 2002
Location: Zoo Jersey
 

Stefanski And The Cap 

Post#1 » by The Guilty Party » Tue May 25, 2010 5:24 pm

I'll try to keep this short and concise...

Ed Stefanski has been on the radio a handful of times since the end of the season. In two specific times (once three weeks ago and again yesterday with Mike Miss) he has mentioned that if the 76ers stand pat and just make a draft pick this year without any other trades, the team will have money for one MAX type free agent in the summer of 2011. Twice he has made this statement.

If the Sixers do select Turner or whoever at #2, the team will have $45 MIL committed in salaries next year. That number is based on the Sixers releasing the rights to Thaddeus Young and Jason Smith next summer hence making both UNRESTRICTED free agents. If they want to keep Thaddeus Young or at the very least, keep him as a RESTRICTED free agent, he has a cap hold of $7.5MIL which means that the Sixers will have $52.5MIL on the books.

If we play Ed's game of "if we don't make any other moves" there are two scenarios for our cap situation...

Scenario 1: We waive our rights to Young and Smith which leaves us with $45MIL in salary. We do have a first round draft next year and if we assume that we make the playoffs in the 7th seed range, then that pick will add another $1.5MIL to our cap giving us $46.5MIL in salary. If the cap increases as it used to (big IF), then the cap number for next year might be around $58MIL which would mean that we would have EIGHT players under contract and $11.5MIL in cap space.

Scenario 2: We keep the rights to Thaddeus Young so that he doesn't just walk away for nothing, make the playoffs as the #7 seed, and the cap increases like it used to. In this case, we have $54 MIL in salary, nine players under contract, and all of $4MIL in cap space.

My point is that I think it's false advertising for Stefanski (the President and GM of this team) to go on the air and state not once but TWICE that we will have cap room for one max level free agent if we stand pat. We simply will not.

Obviously this is ALL subject to change because there most likely will be a trade or two. I just don't think Stefanski should be going around talking about "max" free agents especially when you have guys like Mike Miss who follow that up by telling his listeners that Carmelo Anthony will be a free agent next summer. My guess is that he's trying to make himself look good by saying, "See, I didn't screw our financial future by signing Brand to that deal".

If he's still here after this season, do you believe the Sixers will simply release the rights to Thaddeus Young?
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
Posts: 12,914
And1: 0
Joined: Sep 30, 2006

Re: Stefanski And The Cap 

Post#2 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Tue May 25, 2010 5:28 pm

If he releases the rights to Thaddeus Young, he should be fired. Infact, his lack of knowledge with the cap, his hiring Eddie Jordan just because he's his buddy(I would've liked to see what kind of "3 hour draw chalk" talk they had. Because as we've seen, it couldn't have been much.

Stefanski has made devastating mistakes. Just letting a 22 year old walk, would be the biggest one.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 8,701
And1: 91
Joined: Jul 21, 2006

Re: Stefanski And The Cap 

Post#3 » by tk76 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:37 pm

TGP, I brought this up before as a criticism of ES.

Either he is intentionally misleading the fans or does not know his own team's cap situation.

...neither of these possibilities are complementary. But there are much bigger reasons why he should be fired given his biggest success has been failing so miserably that the team won the #2 pick. Its like keeping a principle on because his school just received a grant because it is a failing school.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,208
And1: 302
Joined: Feb 18, 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Stefanski And The Cap 

Post#4 » by dbodner » Tue May 25, 2010 6:07 pm

...neither of these possibilities are complementary.


They're not complimentary, either.

;)
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: 97.3 ESPN Sixers Insider :: LibertyBallers.com :: DraftExpress.com
Kobblehead
RealGM
Posts: 11,115
And1: 2,517
Joined: Apr 15, 2010
 

Re: Stefanski And The Cap 

Post#5 » by Kobblehead » Tue May 25, 2010 6:13 pm

Maybe it's just me being silly, but I wouldn't mind letting Thad walk if it meant we didn't have to give him a contract based on what we "think" he can eventually become.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,779
And1: 0
Joined: Jul 07, 2005

Re: Stefanski And The Cap 

Post#6 » by sixerfan1976 » Tue May 25, 2010 6:19 pm

teams let players walk all the time.

Look at all the free agents who are better than Thad Young that probably change addresses this offseason.

that being said..i dont think he will be here this year:)
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 17,696
And1: 5
Joined: Aug 26, 2002
Location: Zoo Jersey
 

Re: Stefanski And The Cap 

Post#7 » by The Guilty Party » Tue May 25, 2010 6:23 pm

sixerfan1976 wrote:teams let players walk all the time.

Look at all the free agents who are better than Thad Young that probably change addresses this offseason.

that being said..i dont think he will be here this year


The difference though is that the players who change teams this season are UNrestricted free agents and it won't be because their teams don't want them. I can't think of too many 22 year old players who have a double-digit career average for PPG whose team then renounced his rights. That actually is fairly uncommon.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,779
And1: 0
Joined: Jul 07, 2005

Re: Stefanski And The Cap 

Post#8 » by sixerfan1976 » Tue May 25, 2010 6:24 pm

true but i dont think it comes to that......he will be finding a new home in a month or two via trade. Either him or Speights I think.
User avatar
sixerswillrule
RealGM
Posts: 11,768
And1: 699
Joined: Jul 24, 2003
Location: DC Area

Re: Stefanski And The Cap 

Post#9 » by sixerswillrule » Tue May 25, 2010 7:14 pm

dbodner wrote:
...neither of these possibilities are complementary.


They're not complimentary, either.

;)


Reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cey36NRK0vQ
"Trust the process" - Joel Embiid
User avatar
sixerswillrule
RealGM
Posts: 11,768
And1: 699
Joined: Jul 24, 2003
Location: DC Area

Re: Stefanski And The Cap 

Post#10 » by sixerswillrule » Tue May 25, 2010 7:15 pm

I would trade Lou for an expiring and a future pick to help the cap situation.
"Trust the process" - Joel Embiid
ankle420breaker
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,911
And1: 216
Joined: Sep 21, 2005
Location: South Jersey

Re: Stefanski And The Cap 

Post#11 » by ankle420breaker » Tue May 25, 2010 7:58 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:I would trade Lou for an expiring and a future pick to help the cap situation.


Same here. I'd definitely look to unload Lou before Thad.
User avatar
ITK9
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,552
And1: 12
Joined: Feb 06, 2007
     

Re: Stefanski And The Cap 

Post#12 » by ITK9 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:08 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:If he releases the rights to Thaddeus Young, he should be fired.


If this means cap to sign Carmelo 1.0, Carmelo 2.0 can go wherever he wants.
corwin
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,086
And1: 0
Joined: Jul 19, 2006

Re: Stefanski And The Cap 

Post#13 » by corwin » Tue May 25, 2010 8:19 pm

tk76 wrote:TGP, I brought this up before as a criticism of ES.

Either he is intentionally misleading the fans or does not know his own team's cap situation.

...neither of these possibilities are complementary. But there are much bigger reasons why he should be fired given his biggest success has been failing so miserably that the team won the #2 pick. Its like keeping a principle on because his school just received a grant because it is a failing school.


LOL. The Wharton graduate not being able to add & subtract.
User avatar
PK5
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,152
And1: 361
Joined: May 19, 2010
Location: Pennsylvania State University
       

Re: Stefanski And The Cap 

Post#14 » by PK5 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:33 pm

I heard him say 16 million if he didn't do anything, but that was with the 6th pick.
tk76 wrote:Put it this way, if Nerlens Noel was a deadly infectious virus then this graph points towards the imminent destruction of the world as we know it.
User avatar
PK5
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,152
And1: 361
Joined: May 19, 2010
Location: Pennsylvania State University
       

Re: Stefanski And The Cap 

Post#15 » by PK5 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:56 pm

sixerfan1976 wrote:true but i dont think it comes to that......he will be finding a new home in a month or two via trade. Either him or Speights I think.

If they can't get Aldrich, which I don't think will happen because I think Aldrich doesn't go past #7.

Who else do they go after?
tk76 wrote:Put it this way, if Nerlens Noel was a deadly infectious virus then this graph points towards the imminent destruction of the world as we know it.
User avatar
76ersxMVP
Senior
Posts: 588
And1: 83
Joined: Jul 28, 2008

Re: Stefanski And The Cap 

Post#16 » by 76ersxMVP » Tue May 25, 2010 8:56 pm

I would gladly let Thad and Smith walk if Melo can be here with Turner and Jrue. ^_^

PG: Jrue
SG: Turner
SF: Melo
PF: ??? or Speights
C: ???

Than we will be only missing one or two pieces to our contention future team that can be acquired through trading Iggy and 1st round draft pick next year etc.
Mario Hezonja. Sixers4lyfe. The 2015 Draft is critical for our future..
Image
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 17,696
And1: 5
Joined: Aug 26, 2002
Location: Zoo Jersey
 

Re: Stefanski And The Cap 

Post#17 » by The Guilty Party » Tue May 25, 2010 9:06 pm

rikux777 wrote:I would gladly let Thad and Smith walk if Melo can be here with Turner and Jrue. ^_^

PG: Jrue
SG: Turner
SF: Melo
PF: ??? or Speights
C: ???

Than we will be only missing one or two pieces to our contention future team that can be acquired through trading Iggy and 1st round draft pick next year etc.


The point of this thread is to show that you can NOT sign Carmelo Anthony next summer as things stand hence our GM should keep his lips shut because all he is doing is misleading his fan base into believing a superstar could be on his way here next summer.
SJSF
Banned User
Posts: 4,124
And1: 310
Joined: Feb 10, 2009
       

Re: Stefanski And The Cap 

Post#18 » by SJSF » Tue May 25, 2010 9:12 pm

Keep Thad and unload Iggy for cap help and then sign anyone you want that year. Iggy should had gone to Houston.
Triumph36
Starter
Posts: 2,061
And1: 0
Joined: Jun 26, 2009

Re: Stefanski And The Cap 

Post#19 » by Triumph36 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:21 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:
rikux777 wrote:I would gladly let Thad and Smith walk if Melo can be here with Turner and Jrue. ^_^

PG: Jrue
SG: Turner
SF: Melo
PF: ??? or Speights
C: ???

Than we will be only missing one or two pieces to our contention future team that can be acquired through trading Iggy and 1st round draft pick next year etc.


The point of this thread is to show that you can NOT sign Carmelo Anthony next summer as things stand hence our GM should keep his lips shut because all he is doing is misleading his fan base into believing a superstar could be on his way here next summer.
FYI...

I posted a thread in the trade forum that probably could get you guys enough space for Melo. In fact, you would have enough space if you were able to move Jamison for an expiring at the deadline. That shouldn't be too hard (IMO) though. Plus you wouldn't have to let any of your young core walk.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1014125&p=23530685#p23530685
User avatar
76ersxMVP
Senior
Posts: 588
And1: 83
Joined: Jul 28, 2008

Re: Stefanski And The Cap 

Post#20 » by 76ersxMVP » Tue May 25, 2010 9:29 pm

Image
Mario Hezonja. Sixers4lyfe. The 2015 Draft is critical for our future..
Image

Return to Philadelphia 76ers