ImageImageImage

Official College Basketball / 2011 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,105

Re: Official College Basketball / 2011 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#521 » by Kobblehead » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:09 pm

I don't get the Szczerbiak comparison at all. What characteristics do they share?
Iverson323
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#522 » by Iverson323 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:08 pm

I think Bismack Biyambo is the best player the Sixers can get in this draft. It doesn't matter how raw his offensive game is, they need somebody to come in and block shots. He is a little short for the center position but has a ridiculous 7'7 wingspan. I also think he would be a great compliment to Hawes if they decide to keep him. I never actually saw him play but from what I read, he seems comparable to Derrick Favors.
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant
And1: 483

Post#523 » by ZarcMumoff » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:54 pm

Kobblehead wrote:We would be leaving multiple players with higher percentages of making an impact on the board. No way it would be a good move to take this kid. The only teams that should take a chance on this kid with a first round pick are the secure contenders at the end of the round.

Who cares about right now? Take a chance. Try hit a HR instead of moving the runner. It's all about taking chances.

I've seen nothing on BB, but I wouldn't be opposed to taking him. His upside is much more than the Morris Twins.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#524 » by Kobblehead » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:39 pm

Being how our coach is all about win-now, what makes you think he'll sign off on an 18 year old from the Congo with 1 year of basketball experience in the Spanish league? LOL
Point-God
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#525 » by Point-God » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:58 pm

Who looks at non lottery draft picks with a "win-now" perspective? Picture Portland saying in their draft room "we are going to select Elliot Williams because we believe he will come in and help us win now." Teams are so fixated upon the future and potential in general with draft picks that DeJuan Blair was a 2nd round pick. He obviously could help a team "win-now" but his knees were a long term concern. Free agency and trades are more about winning now than non lottery picks. Expect to see Collins have his "win-now" say in the area of free agency with bringing in vets like Battie and Daniels over youth and potential.
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant
And1: 483

Post#526 » by ZarcMumoff » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:34 am

Kobblehead wrote:Being how our coach is all about win-now, what makes you think he'll sign off on an 18 year old from the Congo with 1 year of basketball experience in the Spanish league? LOL

That Thorn is making the decisions...

Pretty sure Collins has come out and said we aren't winning any titles this year and that this is a building process to make the 76ers relevant again. Collins actually gets it. Look at him after the Knicks lost. Certainly didn't look like a guy who was in win-now mode. Guy was relaxed and seemingly has things in perspective.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#527 » by Kobblehead » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:14 am

Point-God wrote:Who looks at non lottery draft picks with a "win-now" perspective? Picture Portland saying in their draft room "we are going to select Elliot Williams because we believe he will come in and help us win now." Teams are so fixated upon the future and potential in general with draft picks that DeJuan Blair was a 2nd round pick. He obviously could help a team "win-now" but his knees were a long term concern. Free agency and trades are more about winning now than non lottery picks. Expect to see Collins have his "win-now" say in the area of free agency with bringing in vets like Battie and Daniels over youth and potential.

Doug Collins is going to be pushing for a guy who has a chance to make an impact. Not some teenager that has one year experience in the Spanish league who has no shot at seeing minutes for the foreseeable future. C'mon son.
Point-God
Banned User

Post#528 » by Point-God » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:44 am

Kobblehead wrote:
Point-God wrote:Who looks at non lottery draft picks with a "win-now" perspective? Picture Portland saying in their draft room "we are going to select Elliot Williams because we believe he will come in and help us win now." Teams are so fixated upon the future and potential in general with draft picks that DeJuan Blair was a 2nd round pick. He obviously could help a team "win-now" but his knees were a long term concern. Free agency and trades are more about winning now than non lottery picks. Expect to see Collins have his "win-now" say in the area of free agency with bringing in vets like Battie and Daniels over youth and potential.

Doug Collins is going to be pushing for a guy who has a chance to make an impact.

Are you Doug Collins?
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#529 » by Kobblehead » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:46 am

Nah, but I give alot of hugs too.

PG, can you elaborate on your Szczerbiak comparison for Derrick Williams?
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#530 » by sixerswillrule » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:49 am

He just named all 240+ pound small forwards.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#531 » by Kobblehead » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:03 am

Yeah I don't see a comparison to anyone on his list. At all.

Some of the names I would mention are:
- More aggressive Beasley.
- More coordinated Thad Young.
- More talented version of Earl Clark
- James Johnson with a purpose.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#532 » by PhilasFinest » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:20 pm

well scouts n gm's fell in love with this Biombo kid after this weekend...

on Draft Express he went from somewhere around #20 in there mock all the way up to 8.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#533 » by dbodner » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:54 pm

He's skyrocketing up draft boards. Going to be watching a lot of him in the next week or two. It's a shame, looks like he's out of our range though.

We just did a feature on him:
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Bis ... rney--3672

The nice thing about Biyombo is he's playing quality minutes on a very good euro team, so he's not as completely unknown as some 18 year old's are.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#534 » by Kobblehead » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:59 pm

Wasn't that guy Sene that Seattle drafted back in the day coming into the draft with the same hype?
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#535 » by dbodner » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:04 pm

Sene couldn't get off the bench on a terrible euro league team. Similar hype, but not similar production.

I haven't watched much of Biyombo yet, but I have loads of tape in front of me. I'll have some thoughts by the end of the week.

Biyombo has a much better body (not even comparable), and reportedly much better drive. From what I have seen, I find it hard to believe he won't be at least a plus defender, both team and man.
Point-God
Banned User

Post#536 » by Point-God » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Biyombo is very interesting to watch. Defensively he's more Theo Ratliff than Ben Wallace. There's a lack of balance and strength in his lower half that will preclude him from getting things done like Big Ben and Rodman. I seen this guy Mohamed Kone knock him to the floor while boxing out for a free throw. If Biyombo really is 18, then it will not be a major concern, but if he's more like 21 or older then he's Ratliff all over again when it comes to being neutralized upon contact by the better players. He's a right handed player that already has a post move which involves dribbling and finishing with his left hand. There's much to get excited about with this guy. He clearly has that toughness and passion that you want to see from a big, think Nene or Mutombo. I see him as a center only, with the potential to be the best help defender in the game. But if someone tries to play him at PF, guys like Thad and Blake Griffin will take him out on the perimeter and undress him in front of millions.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#537 » by Kobblehead » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Has Nolan Smith's value dropped now that scouts saw how lost he was once Irving came back and moved him off the ball?
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#538 » by dbodner » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:44 pm

It's not like that's the first time Smith's played off the ball. Scouts new what he was and wasn't before Irving came back.

Agreed about Biyombo's lower body strength being a concern, but I have to see him in person before giving an official red flag. He's very developed in the upper body.

Wallace wasn't exactly a beast in lower body strength either, actually. He always struggled (comparatively) with legit post scorers.

I just watched 2 games of his, and man, he come come out over nowhere to block a shot. Like I said, he is going against quality competition as well.
Typeical
Lead Assistant
And1: 36

Post#539 » by Typeical » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:23 pm

I wouldnt mind taking a chance on Biyombi. We have 3 big men on the bench who have provided us with nothing all year(Songalia, Speights, Brackins). A guy that can come in for a couple minutes and blk a shot or two could be a difference maker.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,480

Post#540 » by GoSixersBro » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:42 pm

Typeical wrote:I wouldnt mind taking a chance on Biyombi. We have 3 big men on the bench who have provided us with nothing all year(Songalia, Speights, Brackins). A guy that can come in for a couple minutes and blk a shot or two could be a difference maker.

This.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016

Return to Philadelphia 76ers