ImageImageImage

Official College Basketball / 2011 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

blackberrywhite
Sophomore
And1: 0

Official College Basketball / 2011 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by blackberrywhite » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:57 pm

Although it's still very early in the season, from the looks of it, barring a dramatic turnaround, it looks like this team is headed for another year in the lottery. (hopefully) With that being said and since college basketball is about to start once again, I have decided to create a thread for college teams, players and who we could possibly target in next year's draft.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Re: Official College Basketball Thread 

Post#2 » by Kobblehead » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:02 pm

Sullinger looked amazing in the first game.

Barnes and Perry Jones looked just alright.
ZzAzZ
Analyst
And1: 8

Post#3 » by ZzAzZ » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:12 pm

Good I need this thread. I have trouble following college basketball on my own for some reason.
HartfordWhalers wrote:9/17/10, today for what is wrong with Iggy I will go with he rarely gets fouled while making a 3 pointer, thus leaving the Sixers with a serious deficiency in 4 point plays.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#4 » by Kobblehead » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:14 pm

Now that Kanter is ineligible, the only bigman to follow is Sullinger. Sadly he's only about 6'9" and only a PF.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#5 » by dbodner » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:20 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Now that Kanter is ineligible, the only bigman to follow is Sullinger. Sadly he's only about 6'9" and only a PF.

Kanter still has the possibility of playing in the D-League, once he's no longer enrolled. Not as prominent to the American viewing populace as college, but moreso than Euroleague (his other possibility, which I think is more likely).
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#6 » by Kobblehead » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:22 pm

Dbod, do you think his draft stock will suffer greatly?
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by dbodner » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:25 pm

Kyrie Irving looked very good yesterday, but then again it was vs Princeton. John Henson, who was disappointing last year, looked very good as well. Keep in mind the talent gap at this time of year is often very wide.

Like Mason Plumlee's passing. Not sure he's an NBA defender, though.
Sixerlover
Starter

Post#8 » by Sixerlover » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:53 pm

The twins play tonight. I'm going to go on a limb and say Marcus Morris will be a projected top 10 pick by the end of the regular season. Top 3 big man taken
roma258
Analyst
And1: 901

Post#9 » by roma258 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:54 pm

I'm a Terps grad and we've got a guy averagin 21 and 14 so far this year. He's not a prototype NBA prospect, so I hope he'll stick around for at least another year, but Jordan Williams will be a beast in the ACC this year. Get used to hearing that name. Btw, he almost beat out Derrick Favors for ACC ROY last year.
Liberté, égalité, lotteré
fierceCRT
Junior

Post#10 » by fierceCRT » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:52 pm

Only players i want for us are Barnes, Sullinger, and Jones in that order. The nba needs to get this bargaining agreement done with so players actually enter the draft. Knowing our luck we will get the 1st pick and nobody will declare.

With the 1st pick the 76ers select Kyle Singler:)
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,804

Post#11 » by Negrodamus » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:30 am

dbodner wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Now that Kanter is ineligible, the only bigman to follow is Sullinger. Sadly he's only about 6'9" and only a PF.

Kanter still has the possibility of playing in the D-League, once he's no longer enrolled. Not as prominent to the American viewing populace as college, but moreso than Euroleague (his other possibility, which I think is more likely).

Basically what has been said about Kanter is that UK is appealing the decision and we will wait on that. He has no intentions on going back to Europe and playing this season is what I've read.

Luckily, the appeal process is a group that is separate from the NCAA. The NCAA takes a very literal approach to the rules and ruled him ineligible because he had some 30,000+ more dollars than he was suppose to make. That said, $20,000 of that money was suppose to go to education. That would have been fine if it went directly to UK. Unfortunately it went to the Kanter's for them to hold onto and then use on education which is considered extra benefits. The rest of the money is sitting in a bank account. The Kanter's have stated that they would pay it back if he can be eligible but the NCAA wouldn't have it.

Honestly though, if Renardo Sidney and Bost can win their appeal (especially Sidney), Kanter should have a decent change.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by dbodner » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:56 am

Kobblehead wrote:Dbod, do you think his draft stock will suffer greatly?

Honestly, I don't know. Latavius Williams paved the way for the D-League route, so that's open. Kanter has significantly more skill and is much higher profile than Williams. I still think he ends up going back to Europe, both because it's slightly higher exposure and because it offers better protection should the collective bargaining agreement talks stall. I'd be surprised if he's not a lottery pick if he declares next year, but this is a big blow for him, especially since he put all his eggs in the UK basket and played against slot prep competition last year when he could have been playing against grown men.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Post#13 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:29 am

Negrodamus wrote:
dbodner wrote:

Basically what has been said about Kanter is that UK is appealing the decision and we will wait on that. He has no intentions on going back to Europe and playing this season is what I've read.

Luckily, the appeal process is a group that is separate from the NCAA. The NCAA takes a very literal approach to the rules and ruled him ineligible because he had some 30,000+ more dollars than he was suppose to make. That said, $20,000 of that money was suppose to go to education. That would have been fine if it went directly to UK. Unfortunately it went to the Kanter's for them to hold onto and then use on education which is considered extra benefits. The rest of the money is sitting in a bank account. The Kanter's have stated that they would pay it back if he can be eligible but the NCAA wouldn't have it.

Honestly though, if Renardo Sidney and Bost can win their appeal (especially Sidney), Kanter should have a decent change.

Didn't Sidney lose his appeal? He will be eligible after sitting a few games, but wasn't that always the condition?
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#14 » by Kobblehead » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:58 am

Keep an eye on true freshman Joshua Smith from UCLA. He's about 6'10" and 300 pounds. He is basically fatter than Cousins, but he seems like a hard nosed rebounder with nice athleticism. He was the #2 center coming out of highschool last year.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#15 » by Negrodamus » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:41 pm

I actually don't know. I assumed Renardo won his appeal and the suspension was the condition he was given.

Honestly, it's pretty clear that his family received exorbitant amounts of money judging by the house he owns compared to the jobs his mother and father have.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,538

Post#16 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:31 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I actually don't know. I assumed Renardo won his appeal and the suspension was the condition he was given.

Honestly, it's pretty clear that his family received exorbitant amounts of money judging by the house he owns compared to the jobs his mother and father have.

Yea, my understanding is that his suspension and not full blown ineligibility was the original ruling. I don't have an experts basis for this comment, but I don't think NCAA appeals often have successes.
shova983
Ballboy

Post#17 » by shova983 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:23 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Keep an eye on true freshman Joshua Smith from UCLA. He's about 6'10" and 300 pounds. He is basically fatter than Cousins, but he seems like a hard nosed rebounder with nice athleticism. He was the #2 center coming out of highschool last year.

Cool - thanks for the info - kinda guy you can get late in the first or even early in the second (like a Big baby Davis guy) if we get some extra picks in trades....
ZzAzZ
Analyst
And1: 8

Post#18 » by ZzAzZ » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:28 pm

Perry Jones - 12pts (6-14fg 0-2ft) 11reb 4blks 1stl 1ast 1to 3pf in 35 minutes.
HartfordWhalers wrote:9/17/10, today for what is wrong with Iggy I will go with he rarely gets fouled while making a 3 pointer, thus leaving the Sixers with a serious deficiency in 4 point plays.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#19 » by Negrodamus » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:39 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I actually don't know. I assumed Renardo won his appeal and the suspension was the condition he was given.

Yea, my understanding is that his suspension and not full blown ineligibility was the original ruling. I don't have an experts basis for this comment, but I don't think NCAA appeals often have successes.

Well as of late they havent been too bad

Miss State's Bost, UL's Dieng, Memphis's Will Barton are a few names as of late that have had appeals overturned. It's not impossible but given the circumstances with no mal-intent involved, I could see an appeal happening if the Kanter's are willing to pay back the money. It's a long shot, but I think we actually have a case over here.
Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Post#20 » by Cru Thik » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:24 pm

shova983 wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Keep an eye on true freshman Joshua Smith from UCLA. He's about 6'10" and 300 pounds. He is basically fatter than Cousins, but he seems like a hard nosed rebounder with nice athleticism. He was the #2 center coming out of highschool last year.

Cool - thanks for the info - kinda guy you can get late in the first or even early in the second (like a Big baby Davis guy) if we get some extra picks in trades....

Watching the Miami game the other night Reggie Johnson showed some decent ability. Johnson is 6'10 295 lbs Sophomore C for the Canes. I didn't really like how much the guards ignored him.

K State plays tonight at 8:00PM
Pitt against Maryland at 7:00 PM
UNC 5:00 PM
Baylor at 8:00 PM
Illinois against Texas 9:00 PM
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ

Return to Philadelphia 76ers