ImageImageImage

Official College Basketball / 2011 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Re: Official College Basketball / 2011 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#561 » by LongLiveHinkie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:30 pm

The Sixers so badly need to get a top 3 pick in a stacked draft. I don't see it happening though any time soon unless we get injuries. This team isn't the greatest, but it is good enough to make the playoffs or just barely miss over the next few years.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#562 » by PhilasFinest » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:46 pm

yea i dont see a top 3 pick in our future...unless a catastrophic injury goes down, or we move Iguodala and Brand.

Were young enough to continue to have guys improve, which can make us better every year...
but unless Turner makes a giant stride next year, we dont have anyone who is likely to improve ENOUGH to give us that STAR to take us to the next level.

we had our chance in the draft, lucking out and landing the #2 pick...so IMO, alot of our future is on ET's shoulders.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant
And1: 483

Post#563 » by ZarcMumoff » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:48 pm

PhilasFinest wrote:
Sixerlover wrote:I smell a new bandwagon for Philly fans

with all the attention this kids getting....added with his impressive physical tools,athletic ability, etc that would have likely shot him up draft boards as well during workouts.... its a pretty useless bangwagon to jump aboard for us, considering well be picking in the 17-20 range.

Believe we are locked for the 16th pick.

I'm really enamored with BB, but like most are saying...he'll probably be going really high.

Yeah, next years class is absolutely stacked. About time a stacked class came along.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#564 » by tk76 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:50 pm

PhilasFinest wrote:we had our chance in the draft, lucking out and landing the #2 pick...so IMO, alot of our future is on ET's shoulders.

That might be true, but it is very depressing. I'm hoping Turner develops into an above average starter. I've seen nothing in his rookie season to suggest that he will be some sort of franchise savior. Are those kind of players ever late bloomers at the guard position?
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#565 » by LongLiveHinkie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:55 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Turner was shopped in the offseason.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#566 » by dbodner » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:10 pm

tk76 wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:we had our chance in the draft, lucking out and landing the #2 pick...so IMO, alot of our future is on ET's shoulders.

That might be true, but it is very depressing. I'm hoping Turner develops into an above average starter. I've seen nothing in his rookie season to suggest that he will be some sort of franchise savior. Are those kind of players ever late bloomers at the guard position?

depends what you consider guys like Chauncey Billups and Joe Johnson.

some guys took a few years (Kobe, McGrady, etc), but they usually came in as 18 year olds.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#567 » by tk76 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:33 pm

Good examples. JJ was younger (20) but had 2 years of college experience. He also put up terrible percentages in lots of minutes his rookie year.

Joe Johnson rookie:
25 min
7.5/3/2
eFG% 46%
TS%: 48%

ET:
23 min
7/4/2
eFG% 43%
TS%: 48%
Point-God
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#568 » by Point-God » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:09 am

tk76 wrote: I've seen nothing in his rookie season to suggest that he will be some sort of franchise savior. Are those kind of players ever late bloomers at the guard position?

Franchise savior is strong terminology, but Jalen Rose had a few really good seasons later in his career after being a 22 year old rookie lottery pick. Michael Redd, Latrell Sprewell, and John Starks weren't lottery picks, but they all turned into All Stars after not making it there as rookies. Unlike Turner, Sprewell happened to look like he was on the road to being an All Star in his rookie season. Josh Howard, Kevin Johnson, and Terrell Brandon are other All Star examples.
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant

Post#569 » by ZarcMumoff » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:02 am

Just found out Perry Jones is coming back...I really respect him. Shows he does want to improve and is willing to put the work in.

That only echoes the earlier comments...massive draft next year.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#570 » by Kobblehead » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:09 am

tk76 wrote:I've seen nothing in his rookie season to suggest that he will be some sort of franchise savior.

That's because he's not being asked to be. He's actually being asked to be the exact opposite of that. Which, in my opinion, is a mistake because I feel he is perfectly capable of carrying the team if they would just hand the keys over to him.
OSUfan
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#571 » by OSUfan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:03 am

I wouldn't be so sure the draft will be a lot better next year. There's a lot of smoke about a 2-year rule (i.e., must be 2-years removed from HS to enter NBA draft) being part of the new CBA. If that happens, the 2012 draft will be just as bad as it is this year because there won't be any of the 2011 HS guys (Davis, Rivers, Gilchrist, etc.) in it - it will be exclusively guys who were eligible to be in what was already seen as a weak 2011 draft even before many of them decided to return to college.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#572 » by Kobblehead » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:38 am

OSUfan wrote:I wouldn't be so sure the draft will be a lot better next year. There's a lot of smoke about a 2-year rule (i.e., must be 2-years removed from HS to enter NBA draft) being part of the new CBA. If that happens, the 2012 draft will be just as bad as it is this year because there won't be any of the 2011 HS guys (Davis, Rivers, Gilchrist, etc.) in it - it will be exclusively guys who were eligible to be in what was already seen as a weak 2011 draft even before many of them decided to return to college.

Harrison Barnes and Perry Jones with another year of polish might be the best 1-2 in the decade. Not to mention one of the most productive freshmen in Big 10 history Jared Sullinger. Next year's draft is going to be better than the last 5.
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant

Post#573 » by ZarcMumoff » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:18 am

OSUfan wrote:I wouldn't be so sure the draft will be a lot better next year. There's a lot of smoke about a 2-year rule (i.e., must be 2-years removed from HS to enter NBA draft) being part of the new CBA. If that happens, the 2012 draft will be just as bad as it is this year because there won't be any of the 2011 HS guys (Davis, Rivers, Gilchrist, etc.) in it - it will be exclusively guys who were eligible to be in what was already seen as a weak 2011 draft even before many of them decided to return to college.

I really wish they would do what MLB does. If you want to leave after high school, go right ahead. But if you go to college, you go for three years.

I'll be surprised if they make a 2-year rule, but you never know.

Can't wait to see some of the early Top " " for 2011. My Top 10...

1. Harrison Barnes SF
2. Anthony Davis PF
3. Jared Sullinger PF
4. Perry Jones SF/PF
5. Mike Gilchrist SF
6. James McAddo SF/PF
7. Quincy Miller SF
8. Austin Rivers SG
9. John Henson PF/C
10. Tristan Thompson PF

Still a ton of talent after that...a ton. Robinson, Young, Kabongo, Thomas, Nash, Plumlee, Beal, etc...has a chance to be a great draft.
Point-God
Banned User

Post#574 » by Point-God » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:57 am

The talk is that the NBA will allow high school players, but if one attends college it has to be for 2 years.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#575 » by Kobblehead » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:24 am

Point-God wrote:The talk is that the NBA will allow high school players, but if one attends college it has to be for 2 years.

WOW I literally LOL'd at that notion.

The two year rule is supposed to prevent the 1 and done's who aren't ready from entering the draft prematurely.

Now all this is doing is making those same players enter the draft two years too early instead of just one year too early.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#576 » by PhilasFinest » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:36 am

i kno its been said 1,000,000 X before...
but in a country where u can go to war and give ur life after you graduate high school...
i dont think its right to decline someone to play basketball and make a living off of it if they can do so.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#577 » by freshie2 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:39 am

There are bigger issues than an age/time requirement for entering the NBA, but I think we lose track of this being a game and certain rules must exist (whether you feel it is arbitrary or not). The AAU and NCAA system for these kids is so shady that I don't think there is anything wrong with them entering directly from high school, but maybe they need to be 18?? The Sixers could have drafted Lebron @ 12 years old, or Shaq out of the womb otherwise. You have to have some rules, and sometimes in life there has to be an acceptance of 'that is the way the system (league in this case) works'. The NFL is completely different b/c you really need to be a man to make an impact, and there are a handful of players in a decade that actually could make that jump to just compete physically...the NBA, especially as it is played today, allows for more success for a younger kid.

That all being said...who cares??? Regardless of what opportunities lie in front of these kids, they have to make the right decisions and put in the hard work (academically or athletically) to succeed.
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 725

Post#578 » by Lou_23 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:11 pm

Johnatan Givony

Breaking News: Bismack Biyombo has unilaterally terminated his contract with Fuenlabrada, following several breaches, his agent tells us.

Biyombo's team served a notice of termination for multiple contract breaches, including failure to pay his salary or social security taxes.

Biyombo will be free to sign w/any team in Europe once he receives his letter of clearance from Spanish federation. Could happen in 3 days.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#579 » by dbodner » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:11 pm

Biyombo's contract has been terminated. He previously had a $1 million euro buyout, but now that's not the case.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
Point-God
Banned User

Post#580 » by Point-God » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:17 pm

Wow, sounds like they were screwing him over.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers