ImageImageImage

If it wasn't clear before, it's clear as day now

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

If it wasn't clear before, it's clear as day now 

Post#1 » by LongLiveHinkie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:56 am

If you want an upset in the first round you want the Miami Heat. This game has all the evidence you could ever need.

It was a back and forth blow for blow match all game, but the Sixers were keeping up(and winning most of the game) with Iguodala clearly not himself, Brand's jumper pretty cold, and the Sixers in foul trouble almost all game. The Heat are too inconsistent, and when you have a sharper Sixers team, they will not go on those 5 minute stretches where they can't score.

No one on their team can guard Lou. No one on their team can guard Brand, and no one on their team can really guard Jrue. They will be able to get penetration and kicks all series for Meeks because they have no perimeter defenders. The key is Iguodala's health. Assuming he gets a few games off at the end to rest up, he will be able to slow down Wade next time. Right now he's clearly not himself. Also you can just see the apprehension in Bosh going up against a physical Brand.

This is a perfect matchup. The Sixers outplayed them for most of the game, and when they cut down on those "lack of focus" turnovers, we won't let up the lead next time. If it wasn't clear that Miami is the team we need for the upset, it is perfectly clear now.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,109

Re: If it wasn't clear before, it's clear as day now 

Post#2 » by Kobblehead » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:00 am

The only thing that seemed clear to me is that Miami is going to get to the rim at will against us and that the refs will take away any chance at us playing aggressive defense to stop it.
svnty6rs3
Veteran
And1: 3

Post#3 » by svnty6rs3 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:01 am

who on our team is going to guard wade and james? iguodala is going to be hobbling into the playoffs with his knee and you want him to guard the best player in the league? i want orlando.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#4 » by LongLiveHinkie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:02 am

I was going to add, that is the only problem. The ref factor. But I don't think it will be that big of a deal, because it will be a national spotlight and the refs will have it all over them. The world will be rooting for the Sixers because everyone hates the Heat, so the refs will have pressure to call it fairly. If not, they will get killed. Also, if you actually believe in The Stern Factor, he hates how the Heat built the team and wants to put a stop to that kinda BS. But I don't believe in that anyway. Some do though.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#5 » by LongLiveHinkie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:04 am

svnty6rs3 wrote:who on our team is going to guard wade and james? iguodala is going to be hobbling into the playoffs with his knee and you want him to guard the best player in the league? i want orlando.

Dude, at least Iguodala can guard Lebron or Wade when healthy. We have NO ONE to guard Howard. It doesn't matter if we are injured, healthy, on steroids, HGH or that chemical from Batman Arkham Asylum that turns you into superhumans. We simply don't have anyone to body up Howard and he will kill us. If Iguodala is healthy he will slow down Lebron or Wade. That I guarantee you.

You really want Hawes against Howard? Ouch.
svnty6rs3
Veteran
And1: 3

Post#6 » by svnty6rs3 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:06 am

Westbrook36 wrote:
svnty6rs3 wrote:who on our team is going to guard wade and james? iguodala is going to be hobbling into the playoffs with his knee and you want him to guard the best player in the league? i want orlando.

Dude, at least Iguodala can guard Lebron or Wade when healthy. We have NO ONE to guard Howard. It doesn't matter if we are injured, healthy, on steroids, HGH or that chemical from Batman Arkham Asylum that turns you into superhumans. We simply don't have anyone to body up Howard and he will kill us. If Iguodala is healthy he will slow down Lebron or Wade. That I guarantee you.

but iguodala isnt healthy. He wont be until next year. Ill take my chances against orlando who have one guy that needs to be focused on. Let howard get his and stick to the shooters to make sure they dont go off. I like the sixers chances alot more then against the heat. this team wont get any calls in a playoff series which involved wade and lebron on the other team.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#7 » by LongLiveHinkie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:09 am

svnty6rs3 wrote:
Westbrook36 wrote:

but iguodala isnt healthy. He wont be until next year. Ill take my chances against orlando who have one guy that needs to be focused on. Let howard get his and stick to the shooters to make sure they dont go off. I like the sixers chances alot more then against the heat. this team wont get any calls in a playoff series which involved wade and lebron on the other team.

The Magic are a better team than Miami though. Miami is not very good and ultimately I'll take my chance against the inferior team. I don't know how you can say Iguodala won't be healthy all season when he looked great on the road trip. He's just a little sore. With some rest he'll be fine for the playoffs.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#8 » by freshie2 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:22 am

Not sure what everyone else is watching, but in the NBA, I want the team with fewer stars than more stars...woudl take Howard and the Magic as an opponent instead of James/Wade/Bosh and the Heat any day of the week. The Sixers would give either a run, and could steal either series, but I'd like their chances against just Howard better than against the trio in Miami or the quartet in Boston.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#9 » by LongLiveHinkie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:25 am

It's all about matchups. If "stars" are so important, then how come Miami has the worst record in the NBA against the top 5 teams in each conference?

If it is about stars why do the Spurs have the best record in the NBA? It's about playing defense(which the Heat don't do), playing consistent basketball(which the Heat don't do) and have great coaching(which the Heat don't have).
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#10 » by freshie2 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:28 am

Hmmm...maybe in the regular season, but the last time I checked, it was teams like LA (stars) and Boston (stars) and the Spurs (when Duncan/Parker/Ginobili were all stars) that win recent championships. Love your enthusiasm and optimism (novel from a Philadelphia fan), but I just don't share that view. If I had to pick, I'd take Orlando and then Boston as first round matchups, but don't think the Sixers have what it takes at this point to beat the Heat...that being said, I'd love to see DC coach a series against a team like this.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#11 » by LongLiveHinkie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:34 am

Well I think there is a big difference between the Heat and those two teams. The Lakers had the best center ever who could dominate everyone in Shaq and one of the 5 best players ever who is a killer in clutch moments like Kobe. If you are talking about now, they still have the best player in Kobe, a very good 4 in Gasol, but they have a team. But what do the Spurs and Lakers have most in common? HOF coaches. Phil Jackson and Popovich are two of the best in NBA history. They know how to motivate, adjust and get their teams to play defense. Both teams also have benches, and Miami has no bench.

You don't just throw a bunch of stars on a team and hope to win. It never happens like ever. I can't name one team that has ever done it. You can win with stars, but you need the chemistry, you need the role players, and you need the bench. Miami has none of those 3 let alone just one. Their coach is a joke too.
Stills12
Lead Assistant
And1: 380

Post#12 » by Stills12 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:39 am

Westbrook36 wrote:
This is a perfect matchup. The Sixers outplayed them for most of the game, and when they cut down on those "lack of focus" turnovers, we won't let up the lead next time. If it wasn't clear that Miami is the team we need for the upset, it is perfectly clear now.

Yeah we outplayed them for most of the game, had fewer turnovers then them, had our bench scoring as usual and even had something like 16 point lead and they still came back and beat us.

And saying we won't let up the lead is weird when this team has constantly blown away leads. Then you factor in playoff game, very young roster and facing the big 3 and refs giving benefit of the doubt to Miami and we'd be lucky to keep the lead for 1 game.

Miami: Do Not Want.
tkells34
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#13 » by tkells34 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:03 am

Westbrook36 wrote:It's all about matchups. If "stars" are so important, then how come Miami has the worst record in the NBA against the top 5 teams in each conference?

If it is about stars why do the Spurs have the best record in the NBA? It's about playing defense(which the Heat don't do), playing consistent basketball(which the Heat don't do) and have great coaching(which the Heat don't have).

Try chemistry that team(The Heat) will be ravaging through the NBA for the next decade.I just hope we can get a star and possible steal a chip soon, because when they get it together it's over. I don't know you but you seem like a shortsighted hater they will be great for years lets worry about the Sixers. You don't wanna play them you're just arguing because you started a post too soon.lol
I wouldn't Say it if I thought I was wrong!
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#14 » by LongLiveHinkie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:07 am

tkells34 wrote:
Westbrook36 wrote:It's all about matchups. If "stars" are so important, then how come Miami has the worst record in the NBA against the top 5 teams in each conference?

Try chemistry that team(The Heat) will be ravaging through the NBA for the next decade.I just hope we can get a star and possible steal a chip soon, because when they get it together it's over. I don't know you but you seem like a shortsighted hater they will be great for years lets worry about the Sixers. You don't wanna play them you're just arguing because you started a post too soon.lol

I do want to play them. I posted this after the game was over. They won't ever "get it together" teams like that have never won titles. It just doesn't happen.
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,549

Post#15 » by kingofthecourt67 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:18 am

It appears that I am the only one who wants Boston. We played them competitively before the trade and even beat them afterwards. So it appears we match up well with them. Shaq is coming off an injury and with his advanced age, he probably cannot go for too many minutes which throws out that big banging center who may potentially pose a problem for us.

Boston as a team has been struggling since they made the trade, and Ray Allen is prone to disappear for periods of time as demonstrated by last year. Sure they have the playoff experience, but I think they offer us the best chance, but I think they are vulnerable right now.
Lapinski
Lead Assistant
And1: 94

Post#16 » by Lapinski » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:40 am

Westbrook36 wrote:I was going to add, that is the only problem. The ref factor. But I don't think it will be that big of a deal, because it will be a national spotlight and the refs will have it all over them. The world will be rooting for the Sixers because everyone hates the Heat, so the refs will have pressure to call it fairly. If not, they will get killed. Also, if you actually believe in The Stern Factor, he hates how the Heat built the team and wants to put a stop to that kinda BS. But I don't believe in that anyway. Some do though.

Actually he got Bosh and LeBron more money. They announced they were signing with the Heat and it wasn't until there was a board of govenor's meeting that the contracts were signed. What became two free agent signings turned into sign and trades with the Raptors and the Cavs. Stern brokered that.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#17 » by LongLiveHinkie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:46 am

But remember, Stern specifically said this season and this is not a direct quote, but this is close:

"We have a lot of work to do with the CBA so we can prevent what happened with Miami this past offseason from happening again."

So if he said that, it seems he was not happy with the whole buddy-buddy system where people just team up and go to teams. He will be adding rules to stop it.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,939

Post#18 » by Foshan » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:43 pm

while stern may have gotten them more money, he also got clv/tor SOMETHING for their super stars who were walking away. TPE + pick while not much, is significantly better than absolutely nothing. A savy FO (lol not that tor/clv are) could maybe turn that into either talent/future assets.

So he got the players more money, and he got the old teams more than 'nothing'... while i know Stern takes a lot of crap for other stuff, I can't see how that wasn't a reasonable outcome for both parties.
Lapinski
Lead Assistant
And1: 94

Post#19 » by Lapinski » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:01 pm

By brokering those deals that eliminated the Cavs and Raptors from filing tampering charges. It would have been easy to prove tampering on the Heat. And Riley even has a history with Juwaan Howard of tampering.

Wade talked to Riley about the three of them hooking up. He also talked to Bosh and LeBron making sure they knew Riley was clearing up space so that they could go to Miami. Basically Riley was telling those guys they were clearing up room for them and Wade was a just a intermediary.
Sixerlover
Starter
And1: 0

Post#20 » by Sixerlover » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:59 pm

Yeah... No

Miami went on runs in this game that made my head spin. When they got hot we have ZERO answer for them on the wings or in the paint when they're driving to the cup.

Give me Orlando 100 times out of 100. Against Miami there will be no time in the entire series when we have the best player on the court. Against Orlando however when Howard goes out (rest or foul trouble) we could have the best 2 players on the court. Matchups are much better vs Orlando as well.

Nelson, Richardson, Turkoglu, Bass.... Are you KIDDING me?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers