General 76ers Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,532

Re: General 76ers Thread 

Post#361 » by HornetJail » Wed Apr 2, 2014 4:49 am

A bit random:
I guess this is the place to put this, mods feel free to move it as you see fit.

I played the GM-A-Team game over on the trades board with the 76ers (as an extra challenge :P ). I always post on that team's forum after the game ends to see how their fans like it. Wheeling and dealing with the post-trade deadline 2014 roster, I turned MCW, Noel, crazy cap space, and picks into this glorious thing (biggest deals were trading Wiggins, Exum, Zach Lavine, cap space, lots of picks, etc for CP3 and Blake, then CP3 for Klay and Curry):

2015-16 76ers:
Tyson Chandler (24mpg) / Larry Sanders (24) / Andrew Bynum (reserve)
Blake Griffin (30mpg) / Gorgui Dieng (18 + reserve center minutes)
Nicolas Batum (30mpg) / Klay Thompson (30) / Shane Battier (reserve) / Omri Casspi (reserve)
Stephen Curry (30mpg) / Monta Ellis (30) / Anthony Morrow (reserve)
Tony Parker (24mpg) / Jordan Farmar (reserve) / #26 pick (D-League)

Upside- you likely get to the finals (though Lebron, Dwight, Bosh, and CP3 are on the Lakers :roll: )
Downside- old, VERY expensive ($99M payroll), only a couple picks till 2020.

So... how did I do?

btw, good luck to you guys going forward. You made the right move by bottoming out in the perfect draft to do it in. I hope for your sake that the draft lottery doesn't screw you guys like it's done to us so many times.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
sixers23
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#362 » by sixers23 » Wed Apr 2, 2014 5:19 am

I wouldn't want that team
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#363 » by CoreyGallagher » Wed Apr 2, 2014 6:30 am

Well, I would. Well done.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#364 » by Agnostifarian » Wed Apr 2, 2014 4:54 pm

Biz Gilwalker wrote:A bit random:
I guess this is the place to put this, mods feel free to move it as you see fit.

I played the GM-A-Team game over on the trades board with the 76ers (as an extra challenge :P ). I always post on that team's forum after the game ends to see how their fans like it. Wheeling and dealing with the post-trade deadline 2014 roster, I turned MCW, Noel, crazy cap space, and picks into this glorious thing (biggest deals were trading Wiggins, Exum, Zach Lavine, cap space, lots of picks, etc for CP3 and Blake, then CP3 for Klay and Curry):

2015-16 76ers:
Nicolas Batum (30mpg) / Klay Thompson (30) / Shane Battier (reserve) / Omri Casspi (reserve)

Upside- you likely get to the finals (though Lebron, Dwight, Bosh, and CP3 are on the Lakers :roll: )

So... how did I do?

Hey Biz, thanks for the mental gymnastics. It's good to see attention turning toward the Sixers. However, you need to drink the Cool Aid. After 30 championship-LESS years, we're going for true dynasty here. The plan is a long, athletic, young core playing tenacious defense that creates easy buckets off turnovers and a half court motion offense that is efficient by statistical measures and exposes lazy old NBA vets that don't like playing defense.

It's going to be freakin' beautiful when this group wins it's first championship as the youngest team in the league with seven or eight core guys signed for two or three more years. We don't want to read headlines three weeks before the playoffs that our "BIG THREE" are going to have a meeting to decide if they will be "opting out".

NO MORE QUICK FIXES!

btw, good luck to you guys going forward. You made the right move by bottoming out in the perfect draft to do it in. I hope for your sake that the draft lottery doesn't screw you guys like it's done to us so many times.
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,856

Post#365 » by Phila Tough » Fri Apr 4, 2014 9:46 pm

Does being so close to NYC help our market and luring free agents? One of the best things about Philadelphia is it being accessible to NYC and at a much cheaper price.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,057

Post#366 » by sixers hoops » Sun Apr 6, 2014 2:15 pm

Ramen Noodles wrote:Does being so close to NYC help our market and luring free agents? One of the best things about Philadelphia is it being accessible to NYC and at a much cheaper price.

Prob an increase in endorsement money. The only impactful aspects are money and a chance to win. We now have money. If we were on the verge of becoming a contender, I imagine guys like Love would consider coming here.

With our current roster, it is too risky for a star to risk his prime hoping a bunch of prospects develop so he has a shot at a title.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#367 » by PhilasFinest » Sun Apr 6, 2014 3:19 pm

Winning trumps all factors.

Every OTHER franchise in this city seems to have no problems getting big players to come here.

The bottom line is,If your team has a legit shot at contending for a title, Players will come.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
sixers23
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#368 » by sixers23 » Mon Apr 7, 2014 4:25 pm

we signed Adonis Thomas to a 10 day contract
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#369 » by agiaco » Mon Apr 7, 2014 8:45 pm

Agnostifarian
Veteran

Post#370 » by Agnostifarian » Tue Apr 8, 2014 12:31 am

MCW sounds like he's weathered the storm of losses. He's got to be even more excited than we are to see who his new teammates will be come June and July.
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#371 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Wed Apr 9, 2014 3:23 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... magination

Who is this Lance Pearson guy? Anyone know when he was hired?
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#372 » by PhilasFinest » Wed Apr 9, 2014 3:32 am

20MexicanosIn1Van wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/232845/Brett-Brown-Has-Had-Analytics-Capture-Imagination

Who is this Lance Pearson guy? Anyone know when he was hired?

Not sure, I know he created some type of Pearson Perfomance software among other things,he's supposedly some type of analytic genius....
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#373 » by PhilasFinest » Wed Apr 9, 2014 3:46 am

So, supposedly Noel has increased his vertical by 3".
Agnostifarian
Veteran

Post#374 » by Agnostifarian » Wed Apr 9, 2014 1:40 pm

Any idea what Noel's vertical jump was before the knee injury?
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Post#375 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:34 am

Curious to see if Philly claims Greg Smith.
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#376 » by PhilasFinest » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:18 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Curious to see if Philly claims Greg Smith.

haha I thought the same exact thing.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,773

Post#377 » by Skates » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:40 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Curious to see if Philly claims Greg Smith.

I was wondering the same thing. How bad were/are his injuries? And does Henry Sims now make him less of a need?
Agnostifarian
Veteran

Post#378 » by Agnostifarian » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:08 am

Byron Mullins is really a good athlete. I'm serious. He is a terrible defensive player but coaching should be able to fix that. His ceiling is much higher than Brandon Davies. I'm chuckling.
OleSchool
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,344

Post#379 » by OleSchool » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Biz Gilwalker wrote:A bit random:

2015-16 76ers:

So... how did I do?

IF we were win now then I think we did an EXCELLENT job, except for the fact that CP3 went to the Lakers :lol:
NYSixersFan wrote:quite simply, If I were GM, We would have a good young playoff team right now; with cap flexibility going forward

NYSixersFan wrote:I'D BE more then happy to debate you or anyone else on specifics

NYSixersFan wrote:How can I give you specifics? I'm not talking to other GM's
Agnostifarian
Veteran

Post#380 » by Agnostifarian » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:12 pm

Occasionally, I watch the opponent's broadcast of the Sixers games to hear the "insider views" from other cities. Last night, Danny Ainge sat through the entire Sixers/Celtics game providing commentary on all kinds of things... I am going to pass along a few things he said that are relevant to the Sixers.

Brett Brown has done a great job teaching and motivating the team. Ainge points to the Sixer's pace and scoring in the paint a evidence of a style that can consistently win in the NBA. Ainge said he'd like the Celtics to play with the same style. Tom Heinson said the same thing on the halftime show.

The pace accentuates the strengths of MCW and Wroten who are difficult to defend 40+ feet from the basket.
Ainge says you don't have a chance to stop them unless you get back and pack your defense inside of 25 feet and force them to shoot jump shots.

Ainge was ogling over MCW's overall game especially that he grabbed about every defensive rebound and turned it into a break opportunity by the dribble or outlet pass.

Similarly, Ainge raved about Wroten's aggressiveness at attacking the basket "and creating opportunities" for other players.

Ainge said that he has closely followed Noel's play in high school and at Kentucky and that he is a dominant force citing rebounding, steals and blocks... and that Noel would certainly have been the first pick last year if not for the ACL. Said that Noel was the perfect center to fit the style BB has implemented.

Ainge said that despite the benefits of Sixer pace, ultimately to succeed in the playoffs, the team will have to learn to execute in the half court and hit foul shots in the 4th quarter.

When asked by the Celtics color guy what the Celtics team needs to gain from the draft, Ainge said, "A rim protector."

In case you missed the game, the Sixers scored 46 pts in the paint, had a 15+ point lead and the bench scored 22 pts (roughly) IN THE FIRST HALF so that was the backdrop for his comments.

Finally, he said almost every player on Philly's roster has to play like he's on a ten day contract. Jobs are not to be taken for granted and all the young guys play that way (no entitlement).

My takeaways:

Ainge thinks the Sixers are on the right track.

Embiid is probably pretty high on the Celtics Board. Possibly more so now that Cauley Stein has announced that he's returning to Kentucky.

I think the Celtics have 10 first round picks over the next five years. They also have Rondo as a trade chip. Hinkie needs to make this draft count because the Celtics future should also be bright.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers