Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Re: General 76ers Thread 

Post#661 » by snoopdogg88 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:17 am

Snotbubbles wrote:
snoopdogg88 wrote:
witnessraps wrote:hey quick question, any chance Embiid plays this year? I have my keeper league draft tomorrow and am thinking of scooping him up late

Small chance he could play around March, but I wouldn't count on it

Doctors say the recovery is 5-8 months. 8 months would be February. This type of injury once healed becomes a matter of the correct orthotic devices to prevent re-injury. It's not like an ACL where you need to strengthen the surrounding muscles.

i'm not disagreeing with you. I think he should play, I just don't think Hinkie necessarily feels that way
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#662 » by CoreyGallagher » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:27 am

CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#663 » by Skates » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:04 pm

One of the things that struck me, and it seems like others too, is that looking at this year's team it seems so unbalanced between offense and defense, almost like we refuse to acquire offensively talented players yet. I know that part of this is the way the team values athleticism and defense and hence don't generally pick up one dimensional offensive players. But then I look at who we drafted this year and realized that it wasn't nearly as unbalanced as I imagined.

Saric and Embiid both have very strong offensive upside, they just aren't playing (here) yet. Likewise, McRae is a long armed defender, but also has some pretty good scoring instincts he is honing down in Australia. Pierre Jackson was clearly a guy known primarily for his offensive game and I think he will be back next year despite being waived after the team essentially gave him nearly half a million bucks as a goodwill gesture. Millesic (sp?) also has some offensive potential, though I can't claim to know his game beyond a blurb or two I have read.

So, as offensively inept as this team looks, especially without MCW, there is already offensive talent on the books and under team control, though most of it won't play for us this year unless McRae gets recalled and/or Embiid plays late in the year. Still need some pure shooters, but we have some versatile offensive talent waiting in the wings.
Lapinski
Lead Assistant
And1: 94

Post#664 » by Lapinski » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:50 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153349249972516&set=vb.52974817515&type=2&theater&notif_t=like

Projection system looks awesome!

Bells and whistles....not impressed. What impresses me is basketball talent on the team and good play.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#665 » by CoreyGallagher » Mon Nov 3, 2014 2:45 pm

Been watching a ton of Olajuwon videos just sort of wishing and this video is my favorite.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH-uHgdzpXQ[/youtube]
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
WorldBeFree
Starter
And1: 406

Post#666 » by WorldBeFree » Mon Nov 3, 2014 6:08 pm

Where do you guys rank iverson all time? Over on the player comparison thread they dont even rank him in the top 46. Guys like Nash, Durant, Ray Allen, Pierce, Howard, Miller are all in. For me he should be at least in the top 30 all time.

Sent from my D2303 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,806

Post#667 » by Negrodamus » Mon Nov 3, 2014 11:39 pm

So.. why don't we pick up Quincy Miller?

He's a very long, athletic, young SF. He has obviously not lived up to his high school hype and has a pretty ugly shot, but he does have talent. With the lack of talent on our team right now, I feel like he would be an excellent candidate to give a shot.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#668 » by Foshan » Mon Nov 3, 2014 11:57 pm

Negrodamus wrote:So.. why don't we pick up Quincy Miller?

He's a very long, athletic, young SF. He has obviously not lived up to his high school hype and has a pretty ugly shot, but he does have talent. With the lack of talent on our team right now, I feel like he would be an excellent candidate to give a shot.

I totally agree. Been rinign the QMiller bell since i saw Den was going to cut him. He probably doesn't want a 4yr unguarenteed deal, which is probably all we are offering. Especially if the wire tap that said Lakers and a couple other teams were interested, they would probably give a solid one year deal, then he'd look to get paid more going forward. /shrug
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,806

Post#669 » by Negrodamus » Tue Nov 4, 2014 12:03 am

Foshan wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:So.. why don't we pick up Quincy Miller?

I totally agree. Been rinign the QMiller bell since i saw Den was going to cut him. He probably doesn't want a 4yr unguarenteed deal, which is probably all we are offering. Especially if the wire tap that said Lakers and a couple other teams were interested, they would probably give a solid one year deal, then he'd look to get paid more going forward. /shrug

I guess there's the possibility that he's simply not that good, but if I were him, I'd want to go to a situation where I guess every opportunity possible to make a name for myself. Wroten had that opportunity and has flourished. If he goes to the Lakers, he will definitely get opportunities, but he's still losing shots to Kobe among others. Everything is fluid about our situation right now, so he could easily become "the guy" if he came in and killed it.

Then again, I don't know what's being said behind closed doors and what Quincy's interests are. He might want that guaranteed contract like you said.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,443

Post#670 » by Eyeamok » Tue Nov 4, 2014 11:55 pm

AND SO IT BEGINS:

Today as I was driving home listening to the NBA radio. One of the announcers started in on the 76ers. But to my surprise he said it will be a rough year, but at least they have a plan. WHAT!!!??? This same guy bashed the 76ers a few months ago. And now he is touting their rebuilding plan. Wow.

This team may not have won a game yet, and the announcer went on to say that if they don't beat Orlando they could go 0-10. But anyone who has watched this team play can see a team that is playing some good basketball in stretches. Noel is active with his hands and is blocking shots at a good rate. This rag tag of a team, without MCW, is actually playing basketball. They are young, at times exciting and inexperienced but chances are they will only get better.

Anyone in the "know" with an eye of basketball should be able to see this. I will not be surprised if a lot of the negative talk about this team dies down very soon and people start to come over to the Hinkie way of seeing things. And when Embid actually gets on the court, be it this year or next. A whole different tune will be sung.

It's starting!!
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,969

Post#671 » by DayofMourning » Wed Nov 5, 2014 6:47 pm

WorldBeFree wrote:Where do you guys rank iverson all time? Over on the player comparison thread they dont even rank him in the top 46. Guys like Nash, Durant, Ray Allen, Pierce, Howard, Miller are all in. For me he should be at least in the top 30 all time.

I don't want to come in here and ruffle your feathers, but AI is not a top 50 player. He's kind of like a cult film. It doesn't perform well at the box office (poor efficiency), but it develops a fan following that lasts forever.

He was very entertaining at his peak, no doubt. However, the places reserved for GREATEST PLAYERS OF ALL TIME are super exclusive. He was essentially a street baller who created a lasting image, a brand, that didn't equate to winning ball at the highest level.

Don't try to rank him, just enjoy him for what he was.
WVU
Rookie
And1: 759

Post#672 » by WVU » Wed Nov 5, 2014 6:54 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
WorldBeFree wrote:Where do you guys rank iverson all time? Over on the player comparison thread they dont even rank him in the top 46. Guys like Nash, Durant, Ray Allen, Pierce, Howard, Miller are all in. For me he should be at least in the top 30 all time.

I don't want to come in here and ruffle your feathers, but AI is not a top 50 player. He's kind of like a cult film. It doesn't perform well at the box office (poor efficiency), but it develops a fan following that lasts forever.

He was very entertaining at his peak, no doubt. However, the places reserved for GREATEST PLAYERS OF ALL TIME are super exclusive. He was essentially a street baller who created a lasting image, a brand, that didn't equate to winning ball at the highest level.

:lol: you're an idiot
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#673 » by DayofMourning » Wed Nov 5, 2014 7:22 pm

WVU wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

I agree. For coming into a Sixers forum and placing a grade on their hero. Name the top 50 players of all time. Unfortunately, you're not going to be qualified to do so. You can't do it, you have no perspective. Only those who've seen decades of basketball can do so.

Sorry for degrading your idol. Seriously.
WVU
Rookie

Post#674 » by WVU » Wed Nov 5, 2014 7:43 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
WVU wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

I agree. For coming into a Sixers forum and placing a grade on their hero. Name the top 50 players of all time. Unfortunately, you're not going to be qualified to do so. You can't do it, you have no perspective. Only those who've seen decades of basketball can do so.

A player who reshaped the way the game was played. One of the fastest guards to ever play the game. And carry his team to a finals. Name me 50 players better. Go ahead, I will wait.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#675 » by DayofMourning » Wed Nov 5, 2014 7:45 pm

WVU wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
WVU wrote:

A player who reshaped the way the game was played. One of the fastest guards to ever play the game. And carry his team to a finals. Name me 50 players better. Go ahead, I will wait.

I mean no offense, but if I ask you to name the top 50 players of all time and you don't do it, then what has been accomplished? If you are adamant that Iverson is top 50, then you know the other 49 correct?
WVU
Rookie

Post#676 » by WVU » Wed Nov 5, 2014 7:55 pm

DayofMourning wrote:I mean no offense, but if I ask you to name the top 50 players of all time and you don't do it, then what has been accomplished? If you are adamant that Iverson is top 50, then you know the other 49 correct?

Meh, your logic bores me. I'm not going to take the time to make an objective 50 player list - nor will you.

^^ It's this that your going to catch the flack for. A cult film? Dude, every analyst out there admits that Iverson was one of the best to play the game. In his prime he couldn't be guarded and like I said before RE-SHAPED the game. Only the greats can do that. :crazy:
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#677 » by DayofMourning » Wed Nov 5, 2014 8:14 pm

WVU wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:I mean no offense, but if I ask you to name the top 50 players of all time and you don't do it, then what has been accomplished? If you are adamant that Iverson is top 50, then you know the other 49 correct?

Meh, your logic bores me. I'm not going to take the time to make an objective 50 player list - nor will you.

^^ It's this that your going to catch the flack for. A cult film? Dude, every analyst out there admits that Iverson was one of the best to play the game. In his prime he couldn't be guarded and like I said before RE-SHAPED the game. Only the greats can do that. :crazy:

My logic is that you haven't seen enough basketball to be an expert on this topic. Its boring, because it takes effort to make a list of the top 50 of all time. Your spontaneous reaction was to take offense, because you're a Sixers fan and Iverson is a hero of yours. I'm sure your intentions were noble enough, but that isn't going to win any arguments.

Top 50ish:

Wilt Chamberlain
Bill Russell
George Mikan
Bob Cousy
Elgin Baylor
Jerry West
Billy Cunningham
Nate Thurmond
Oscar Robertson
Bob Cousy
John Havlicek
Dave Cowens
Larry Bird
Kevin McHale
Lew Alcindor
John Lucas
Lenny Wilkens
Pete Maravich
Elvin Hayes
Artis Gilmore
Alex English
Hal Greer
Dominique Wilkins
Dikembe Mutombo
George McGinnis
Bob Petit
Paul Arizin
Dolph Schayes
Isiah Thomas
Jerry West
Alonzo Mourning
Chris Webber
Tracy McGrady
Scottie Pippen
Dennis Rodman
James Worthy
Dennis Johnson
Yao Ming
Shaquille O'Neal
Dwyane Wade
Lebron James
Kobe Bryant
Dirk Nowitizki
Tim Duncan
David Robinson
Hakeem Olajuwon
Chris Paul
Kevin Durant
Karl Malone
John Stockton
Charles Barkley
Steve Nash
Patrick Ewing
Ray Allen
George Gervin
Moses Malone
Rick Barry
Clyde Drexler
Michael Jordan

I'll stop there. All of those players have accomplished as much or more than Iverson. Remember that playoff performances matter, not just regular season scoring titles on 25 shots a night.

Once again. I'm sorry for dragging your idol through the mud. I'm just trying to be diplomatic on who deserves a spot in the top 50.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,859

Post#678 » by Phila Tough » Wed Nov 5, 2014 8:19 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
WVU wrote:

My logic is that you haven't seen enough basketball to be an expert on this topic. Its boring, because it takes effort to make a list of the top 50 of all time. Your spontaneous reaction was to take offense, because you're a Sixers fan and Iverson is a hero of yours. I'm sure your intentions were noble enough, but that isn't going to win any arguments.

Top 50ish:

Wilt Chamberlain
Bill Russell
George Mikan
Bob Cousy
Elgin Baylor
Jerry West
Billy Cunningham
Nate Thurmond
Oscar Robertson
Bob Cousy
John Havlicek
Dave Cowens
Larry Bird
Kevin McHale
Lew Alcindor
John Lucas
Lenny Wilkens
Pete Maravich
Elvin Hayes
Artis Gilmore
Alex English
Hal Greer
Dominique Wilkins
Dikembe Mutombo
George McGinnis
Bob Petit
Paul Arizin
Dolph Schayes
Isiah Thomas
Jerry West
Alonzo Mourning
Chris Webber
Tracy McGrady
Scottie Pippen
Dennis Rodman
James Worthy
Dennis Johnson
Yao Ming
Shaquille O'Neal
Dwyane Wade
Lebron James
Kobe Bryant
Dirk Nowitizki
Tim Duncan
David Robinson
Hakeem Olajuwon
Chris Paul
Kevin Durant
Karl Malone
John Stockton
Charles Barkley
Steve Nash
Patrick Ewing
Ray Allen
George Gervin
Moses Malone
Rick Barry
Clyde Drexler
Michael Jordan

I'll stop there. All of those players have accomplished as much or more than Iverson. Remember that playoff performances matter, not just regular season scoring titles on 25 shots a night.

Once again. I'm sorry for dragging your idol through the mud. I'm just trying to be diplomatic on who deserves a spot in the top 50.

These are not better basketball players than Allen Iverson. Accomplishments are purely situational imo. You are entitled to your opinion but like you said, don't expect it to be a popular one around these parts. Especially listing some of those players. Ray Allen? Really?
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#679 » by CoreyGallagher » Wed Nov 5, 2014 8:21 pm

Well, that got buried quickly...
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#680 » by DayofMourning » Wed Nov 5, 2014 8:23 pm

Lurk Nowitzki wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
WVU wrote:

Top 50ish:

Wilt Chamberlain
Bill Russell
George Mikan
Bob Cousy
Elgin Baylor
Jerry West
Billy Cunningham
Nate Thurmond
Oscar Robertson
Bob Cousy
John Havlicek
Dave Cowens
Larry Bird
Kevin McHale
Lew Alcindor
John Lucas
Lenny Wilkens
Pete Maravich
Elvin Hayes
Artis Gilmore
Alex English
Hal Greer
Dominique Wilkins
Dikembe Mutombo
George McGinnis
Bob Petit
Paul Arizin
Dolph Schayes
Isiah Thomas
Jerry West
Alonzo Mourning
Chris Webber
Tracy McGrady
Scottie Pippen
Dennis Rodman
James Worthy
Dennis Johnson
Yao Ming
Shaquille O'Neal
Dwyane Wade
Lebron James
Kobe Bryant
Dirk Nowitizki
Tim Duncan
David Robinson
Hakeem Olajuwon
Chris Paul
Kevin Durant
Karl Malone
John Stockton
Charles Barkley
Steve Nash
Patrick Ewing
Ray Allen
George Gervin
Moses Malone
Rick Barry
Clyde Drexler
Michael Jordan

These are not better basketball players than Allen Iverson. Accomplishments are purely situational imo. You are entitled to your opinion but like you said, don't expect it to be a popular one around these parts. Especially listing some of those players. Ray Allen? Really?

You are right, and I apologize. I know what AI means to the Sixers. He was an icon for a decade for your team.

I'll post this link here:

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1328924

It's a pretty good determinant of popular opinion on who is worth what.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers