ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Re: General 76ers Thread 

Post#641 » by ckchen » Fri Oct 3, 2014 2:39 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:
ckchen wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Johnson has an under 1m unguaranteed option for next year, so that cheap 2m option is more expensive (and needs to be picked up by October 31st, while Johnson's can run until next season. Contract wise, Johnson is clearly better.

However, the amounts are small enough you take the better player/prospect.

Agreed. That said, roster depth/breakdown, projected playing time, and the financial commitment will always come into play. I've said it over and over, but these are finance guys who own the team now. They're not going to throw away $1.5M unless someone really separates themselves. If all things are equal (or close to equal) - they will go with player with a guaranteed deal. We're talking about a team that sold a pick in the draft (admittedly, #60) for cash. If you're thinking about pure basketball, you take the pick and draft a potential player, since this is a team that needs all of the players they can get. If you examine a lot of moves the team has made since the new ownership group have come in, there are often financial bases behind them as well.

Wait. Throw away 1.5m? Moultrie gets his 1.5m either way, so that isn;t the cost. If you want, Johnson's 915k would be the cost. However, with the floor, it probably isn't and there is zero cost to switch the players on the team. I would be more inclined to see Moultire's extra 1m over Johnson next year as a real cost.

Okay, if you want to put it that way I guess, the ultimate cost would be the extra 915k. It's still money they wouldn't have to spend. I've seen this salary floor argument before, but frankly, money is money. We have no idea how or if the Sixers will find a way to reach the floor before the end of the season, through trade deadline deals or whatever. In the larger scheme of things, even though it's not relatively a ton of money, my point was simply to say that contracts and finances are a factor.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Post#642 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Oct 3, 2014 2:49 am

ckchen wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
ckchen wrote:
Agreed. That said, roster depth/breakdown, projected playing time, and the financial commitment will always come into play. I've said it over and over, but these are finance guys who own the team now. They're not going to throw away $1.5M unless someone really separates themselves. If all things are equal (or close to equal) - they will go with player with a guaranteed deal. We're talking about a team that sold a pick in the draft (admittedly, #60) for cash. If you're thinking about pure basketball, you take the pick and draft a potential player, since this is a team that needs all of the players they can get. If you examine a lot of moves the team has made since the new ownership group have come in, there are often financial bases behind them as well.

Wait. Throw away 1.5m? Moultrie gets his 1.5m either way, so that isn;t the cost. If you want, Johnson's 915k would be the cost. However, with the floor, it probably isn't and there is zero cost to switch the players on the team. I would be more inclined to see Moultire's extra 1m over Johnson next year as a real cost.

Okay, if you want to put it that way I guess, the ultimate cost would be the extra 915k. It's still money they wouldn't have to spend. I've seen this salary floor argument before, but frankly, money is money. We have no idea how or if the Sixers will find a way to reach the floor before the end of the season, through trade deadline deals or whatever. In the larger scheme of things, even though it's not relatively a ton of money, my point was simply to say that contracts and finances are a factor.

Oh, I totally agree with that point in general. I'm just saying, here it might work the other way:

Keep Moultrie: little over 1m more in year 2 (might be 0 with floor)
Keep Johnson: 915k more in year 1 (might be 0 with floor).
ckchen
Veteran

Post#643 » by ckchen » Fri Oct 3, 2014 4:21 am

I'll be honest, I know very little about Chris Johnson's game, but looking at it just statistically, I have no idea why everyone thinks so highly of him. His numbers are fairly mediocre, at best. His shooting percentage is pretty dismal, including from 3. His numbers in Summer League for the C's do nothing to indicate otherwise.

I see a guy who apparently the Celtics didn't think was worth holding onto, despite the fact that their team isn't significantly better or deeper than ours, even compared to a handful of straight up camp invites.

Outside of a single (and somewhat randomly) positive article on libertyballers.com on the guy and a lot of anti-Moultrie sentiment, I fail to see what about this guy should make me believe he'll even make it out of camp. Seems like someone who hustles but needs significant help refining his shooting. Nothing from his game history indicates he's necessarily a very effective rebounder or defender either.

If someone has some actual insight, I'd like to hear it.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,525

Post#644 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Oct 3, 2014 4:25 am

ckchen wrote:If someone has some actual insight, I'd like to hear it.

None. I assume he gets cut. {However the same it might be worth keeping Roberts can get applied, etc, to most ung guys.}
ckchen
Veteran

Post#645 » by ckchen » Fri Oct 3, 2014 5:00 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:
ckchen wrote:If someone has some actual insight, I'd like to hear it.

None. I assume he gets cut. {However the same it might be worth keeping Roberts can get applied, etc, to most ung guys.}

Okay, so I'm glad I'm not alone here. Admittedly biased because I actually watched Sixers summer league games, but I'd much rather keep Roberts. All sorts of hustle + athleticism. If I'm choosing between a bunch of fringe roster guys for the 14/15 player on the team (of which I include Johnson), I choose Roberts over any of them any day.
cammac
General Manager
And1: 6,216

Post#646 » by cammac » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:26 am

Raptor fan in peace with just a question for you. We got Lou Williams basically for nothing in a trade with Atlanta for Salmons plus got there 2013 1st. Lou was at best average in Atlanta due to recovering from injuries but seems to have his quickness back that he had in Philly.

What were his best aspects and worst from his years with 76ers.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#647 » by CoreyGallagher » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:58 am

cammac wrote:Raptor fan in peace with just a question for you. We got Lou Williams basically for nothing in a trade with Atlanta for Salmons plus got there 2013 1st. Lou was at best average in Atlanta due to recovering from injuries but seems to have his quickness back that he had in Philly.

He was a spark off of the bench, he just knew how to score and he was rather efficient due to his ability to get to the charity stripe, he sold fouls exceptionally well (PER the last 3 seasons for the Sixers ascended sequentially from 18.2 to 20.2). He wasn't a particularly good defender during that span however, negative RAPM each of those seasons, he also didn't really look to facilitate, he was strictly a scorer. Those are the reasons I believe he had to come off of the bench and also thrived off of the bench. All things considered, he's an awesome player and an awesome person, hope he revitalizes his career in Toronto, he was among my favorite dudes while he was here.

Here's a cool story, a gunman approached Lou Will in an attempt to rob him, however after talking him down Lou bought the mugger McDonalds out of kindness.

He also hit this shot, which made me the happiest I had been being a Sixers' fan in a long time. (I miss Lou)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWrfMY81Bbg[/youtube]
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
WorldBeFree
Starter
And1: 406

Post#648 » by WorldBeFree » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:13 pm

Lou was just great you will love him, he is also pretty clutch. "They are not saying boooo they are saying louuuu"

Sent from my D2303 using RealGM Forums mobile app
76ersfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 205

Post#649 » by 76ersfan » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:24 pm

cammac wrote:Raptor fan in peace with just a question for you. We got Lou Williams basically for nothing in a trade with Atlanta for Salmons plus got there 2013 1st. Lou was at best average in Atlanta due to recovering from injuries but seems to have his quickness back that he had in Philly.

Lou can get you buckets off the bench and comes up big in the clutch. Seems like a classy and cool dude. He is small but can get his shot off pretty well. Happy to see Lou still in the league.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Long Live Sam Hinkie :D
MountainDrew
Veteran
And1: 885

Post#650 » by MountainDrew » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:31 pm

Trust the Process
76ersfan
Pro Prospect

Post#651 » by 76ersfan » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:45 pm

Nice find Montain Drew. Magic Fans are such homers. I stopped reading at Gordon>Embiid because that is ridiculous.

BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#652 » by BullyKing » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:09 pm

If you kept reading, it gets better. Someone else thinks they have Payton at 4 over Embiid.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
76ersfan
Pro Prospect

Post#653 » by 76ersfan » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:32 pm

BullyKing wrote:If you kept reading, it gets better. Someone else thinks they have Payton at 4 over Embiid.

I went back and just read that. Crazy.

WorldBeFree
Starter

Re: AW: General 76ers Thread 

Post#654 » by WorldBeFree » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:49 pm

76ersfan wrote:
BullyKing wrote:If you kept reading, it gets better. Someone else thinks they have Payton at 4 over Embiid.

I went back and just read that. Crazy.

But could be possible if the team doesnt believe in embiid recovery and are super high on payton! They would draft for what they need, they already have bigs with potential. For me more funny is they think AG is better then embiid...

Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,856

Post#655 » by Phila Tough » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:53 pm

Lol I always lurk the Magic board for a good laugh. I lurk the Bucks for some insighta and entertainment. They're not nearly as delusional.
76ersfan
Pro Prospect

Post#656 » by 76ersfan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:09 pm

Lurk Nowitzki wrote:Lol I always lurk the Magic board for a good laugh. I lurk the Bucks for some insighta and entertainment. They're not nearly as delusional.

Bucks fans are very good and realistic. Magic board is just unrealistic.

witnessraps
RealGM
And1: 4,656

Post#657 » by witnessraps » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:33 am

hey quick question, any chance Embiid plays this year? I have my keeper league draft tomorrow and am thinking of scooping him up late
WorldBeFree
Starter

Re: AW: General 76ers Thread 

Post#658 » by WorldBeFree » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:39 am

witnessraps wrote:hey quick question, any chance Embiid plays this year? I have my keeper league draft tomorrow and am thinking of scooping him up late

I dont think so, but who knows, there is a little chance. He is for sure out most of the season!

snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#659 » by snoopdogg88 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:19 pm

witnessraps wrote:hey quick question, any chance Embiid plays this year? I have my keeper league draft tomorrow and am thinking of scooping him up late

Small chance he could play around March, but I wouldn't count on it
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,451

Post#660 » by Snotbubbles » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:06 am

snoopdogg88 wrote:

Small chance he could play around March, but I wouldn't count on it

Doctors say the recovery is 5-8 months. 8 months would be February. This type of injury once healed becomes a matter of the correct orthotic devices to prevent re-injury. It's not like an ACL where you need to strengthen the surrounding muscles.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers