ImageImageImage

General 76ers Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Cokeleaf
Senior
And1: 131

Re: General 76ers Thread 

Post#881 » by Cokeleaf » Sat May 2, 2015 11:13 pm

After trading MCW and KJ, this feels like it is going to be a long, long rebuild.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

General 76ers Thread 

Post#882 » by Ericb5 » Sun May 3, 2015 5:17 am

Cokeleaf wrote:After trading MCW and KJ, this feels like it is going to be a long, long rebuild.

Given all that has transpired since the trade deadline, this post is pretty funny.

Kj has done NOTHING since the trade, and MCW has been himself. The Lakers pick is looking pretty good these days.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
SMH
Junior
And1: 96

Post#883 » by SMH » Sun May 3, 2015 6:38 am

Cokeleaf wrote:After trading MCW and KJ, this feels like it is going to be a long, long rebuild.

Doesnt feel like it extended our rebuild time by trading them.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#884 » by 76ciology » Mon May 4, 2015 4:50 pm

Long rebuild but shorter to being a contender.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#885 » by dbodner » Mon May 4, 2015 6:24 pm

I spent some time talking about how the new national TV deal impacts the Sixers strategy.

http://nba.derekbodner.com/2015/05/04/t ... omment-416
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,732

Post#886 » by Mik317 » Mon May 4, 2015 6:45 pm

Depends on what happens this offseason and next year really.

If we can draft our PG of the future this draft (along with our wing of the future with some luck or movement), we technically could have a finished starting 5 to build off of. Plus if Embiid is legit good and we make progress, we could attract FAs in 2016. Meaning we are right on track really.

However, MCW and KJ, with all their flaws, would have made finalizing that starting lineup a lot easier...along with strengthening our bench. Especially since Hinkie is just due for a bad pick here (no one is perfect)...I wonder.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#887 » by Sixerscan » Mon May 4, 2015 7:48 pm

Mik317 wrote:

Depends on what happens this offseason and next year really.

If we can draft our PG of the future this draft (along with our wing of the future with some luck or movement), we technically could have a finished starting 5 to build off of. Plus if Embiid is legit good and we make progress, we could attract FAs in 2016. Meaning we are right on track really.

However, MCW and KJ, with all their flaws, would have made finalizing that starting lineup a lot easier...along with strengthening our bench. Especially since Hinkie is just due for a bad pick here (no one is perfect)...I wonder.

I think you're overestimating how difficult it will be to find players of both of their talents, either via trade, free agency, or the draft (Maybe even the picks we traded them for?). Almost every team in the league has a point guard as good as MCW, and multiple wings as good as KJ. And players of their level change teams all the time.

The idea that KJ McDaniels would have a huge impact on our record next year is fairly questionable. We're gonna have someone about as good as him playing whatever minutes he would have played. How much worse is a team playing Jakarr 20 minutes a game versus KJ?
Mik317
RealGM

Post#888 » by Mik317 » Mon May 4, 2015 8:19 pm

I'm going off the basis of if both guys were still here, that would mean they would have a place in our future. Basically the IDEA of MCW and KJ, not so much the reality. It would be two less spots to fill (starting PG and solid bench wing) in that case and thus we'd be able to fill other holes instead. It shouldn't be too hard to replace but we also could have been filling the other starting wing spot and maybe a bench big instead is all.

Not a big deal at the end of the day but still a potential "setback" of sort. I am also working with the reality of getting shut out in FA again, so the draft is the main source. That could be wrong too so theres that.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#889 » by LloydFree » Mon May 4, 2015 9:10 pm

KJ McDaniels wasn't/isn't good enough to be a legitimate NBA starter. Him being traded away doesn't increase or decrease the amount of time of the rebuild.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#890 » by CoreyGallagher » Tue May 5, 2015 12:10 am

KJ could be a lock down perimeter defender imo, he was terrific for us in that regard and his opponent shooting splits attest to that. Although on offense he's a major liability, he cannot dribble worth a damn and his shot really fell off as the season progressed.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Mik317
RealGM

Post#891 » by Mik317 » Tue May 5, 2015 12:50 am

again the IDEA of MCW and KJ...not the probable reality. More than likely if they were still on the team, they would have risen above the reality of their play at the time.

Like I am sure Hinkie thought both would be here longterm, until the reality set in (and for KJ, Grant and Cov pretty much outplaying him hard). Still in that fantasy world, we would have our starting PG (and potentially starting backcourt) and would only have to fill 1-2 positions instead of 3-4. Like I said, not that big of a deal overall as who knows we could actually sign dudes or hit it big in the draft and fill that easy... it is just a small setback
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#892 » by Sixerscan » Tue May 5, 2015 3:25 am

Mik317 wrote:I'm going off the basis of if both guys were still here, that would mean they would have a place in our future. Basically the IDEA of MCW and KJ, not so much the reality. It would be two less spots to fill (starting PG and solid bench wing) in that case and thus we'd be able to fill other holes instead. It shouldn't be too hard to replace but we also could have been filling the other starting wing spot and maybe a bench big instead is all.

Not a big deal at the end of the day but still a potential "setback" of sort. I am also working with the reality of getting shut out in FA again, so the draft is the main source. That could be wrong too so theres that.

But we have more assets now because we traded both of them. In terms of draft picks and cap space. HInkie could trade the Lakers pick for some starting point guard tomorrow if he really wanted to. Bench wings get traded for future 2nd round picks and cap space all the time. (See Corey Brewer playing right now) Neither of those roles are all that unique.

They aren't "pushing back the rebuild" because guys like MCW and KJ aren't the reason you win 50+ games and be a contender.When Embiid and/or our 2016 pick and/or Noel and/or someone else becomes an elite player(s), that's when we'll be a top flight team, not before, MCW or no MCW. We'll be able to find role players to fill around them, as long as we're responsible with our assets (Which includes not committing to paying role players like MCW and McDaniels long term)
Mik317
RealGM

Post#893 » by Mik317 » Tue May 5, 2015 4:46 am

True. In the Ideal world tho, MCW and KJ would be actual keepers, allowing us to use our picks for other things but yeah I forgot that technically those extra picks virtually took their spot in a sense so that mentality doesn't work.

I am just ready to be "good" again is all...so mentally I think I am rushing it lol
#NeverGonnaBeGood
76ciology
RealGM

Post#894 » by 76ciology » Tue May 5, 2015 9:52 am

dbodner wrote:I spent some time talking about how the new national TV deal impacts the Sixers strategy.

http://nba.derekbodner.com/2015/05/04/t ... omment-416

Short term, flexibility to sign guys like Butler and Leonard due to cap situation in the next 2 years. Long term, either attract a max FA or two with our young core or 2015 FA signing. Not bad.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#895 » by 76ciology » Tue May 5, 2015 9:54 am

You need to quick to cut your losses. And that's what we did with MCW and KJ.

MCW probably has the best chance out of the entire player pool in the NBA to improve and show what he got. If he has star potential, he would have improved and shined. But guys like Jerami Grant & JaKarr has went pass him in terms of progress while all the usage he has on this team never turned into efficiency and consistency. Say what you say about him playing in a bad team, but even Ish has done a better job running the point while Noel or even Roco has shown the ability to outshine even amongst the crappy talent in this team.

On KJ, he needs to be dealt. He's just not worth the risk. What happens when every 2nd rounder followed his path with signing a 1 year deal hoping to get a long term overpaid contract KJ will be getting if we hold unto him? And it's not like he's likely going to be the next Kawhi or Jimmy Butler.

Both guys entered the league relatively old to the usual age of rookies. So IMO, it's good bet that there's not much upside with both guys specially with the flaws in their game.
PSUEagle
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#896 » by PSUEagle » Tue May 5, 2015 2:10 pm

Reading Zach Lowe's column today (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/first-round-epitaph-how-the-nbas-playoff-casualties-will-spend-for-the-future/) a thought struck me that I'm sure others here have already articulated:

Hinkie will end up buying at least one (and maybe more) 1st rounders this draft, assuming neither the Miami or LA pick convey. I could see the 76ers taking on salary from a team like Dallas or San Antonio if one plans on clearing space for free agency purposes. Or Golden State if they decide they want to lessen their luxury tax burden that they'll incur once they sign Draymond Green.

There's several candidates out there. Only question IMO is how much money ownership would want to take on while they're still in the rebuilding phase. I suspect that's why the Lin deal fell through in the summer and the Sixers didn't take on salary for picks until the deadline (when they would only have to pay out 1/3 of the acquired player's actual salary).
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#897 » by Kobblehead » Sat May 9, 2015 3:23 pm

It would be pretty awesome if they unveiled the new uniforms before the fall.
Katunga
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#898 » by Katunga » Sat May 9, 2015 7:00 pm

Scott O'Neil mentioned on twitter that the new jerseys will be reveiled between the lottery and draft.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

General 76ers Thread 

Post#899 » by Ericb5 » Sat May 9, 2015 11:14 pm

Katunga wrote:Scott O'Neil mentioned on twitter that the new jerseys will be reveiled between the lottery and draft.

Cool. I really hope that they go classic and retro with them. I know that their hints that they gave are in that direction, but until I see them I will be worried that they screw them up.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#900 » by Kobblehead » Sun May 10, 2015 12:00 am

Classic with a modernized twist is hard to pull off, without becoming bland. Like our current jerseys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers