ImageImageImage

Dario Saric: The Prince That Was Promised (thread renamed 7/14/16)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

BobThornton
Pro Prospect
And1: 239

Re: Falling for Dario Naharis.. I mean, Dario Saric. 

Post#661 » by BobThornton » Tue Jan 6, 2015 3:07 pm

Unbreakable99 wrote:
Gordon wrote:Saric is worst shooter in all of Europe. He has converted only 24% of his jumpshots this season and ranks dead last among the players with atleast 100 jumpshot attempts among 500+ of them in the database. It`s up to the point where teams are not even guarding him at the 3-point line anymore.

For example among the NBA players, only guy who shoots regularly (100+ attempts so far this season) and hits less is MCW (22.7%). For those wondering even Josh Smith is draining 31.9% of his jumpers.

Without consistent shot i think Saric will be limited to being energy guy off the bench. He needs to start working on his shooting form and consistency as soon as possible.

So you're saying he should fit right I with the rest of the bricklayers then.

Maybe Nerlens can help him with his shooting form?
TigerInYourTank
Senior
And1: 198

Post#662 » by TigerInYourTank » Tue Jan 6, 2015 4:32 pm

Gordon wrote:Saric is worst shooter in all of Europe. He has converted only 24% of his jumpshots this season and ranks dead last among the players with atleast 100 jumpshot attempts among 500+ of them in the database. It`s up to the point where teams are not even guarding him at the 3-point line anymore.

For example among the NBA players, only guy who shoots regularly (100+ attempts so far this season) and hits less is MCW (22.7%). For those wondering even Josh Smith is draining 31.9% of his jumpers.

Without consistent shot i think Saric will be limited to being energy guy off the bench. He needs to start working on his shooting form and consistency as soon as possible.

Thanks for the info. I just found a scouting report on Dec 22 that claims he is actually hurting the team in terms of point differential:

http://upsidemotor.com/2014/12/22/phila ... mber-2014/

Not the greatest news ever, but he is so young and won a nice Euroleague award in Nov. Maybe he's just in a prolonged slump.
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#663 » by James40 » Tue Jan 6, 2015 11:20 pm

TigerInYourTank wrote:

Thanks for the info. I just found a scouting report on Dec 22 that claims he is actually hurting the team in terms of point differential:

http://upsidemotor.com/2014/12/22/phila ... mber-2014/

Not the greatest news ever, but he is so young and won a nice Euroleague award in Nov. Maybe he's just in a prolonged slump.

His FG% is 43 but looking at his stats including yesterday's game, his December was awful, so hopefully it is just a long slump, and to make some feel better, he isn't shooting 15-16 times a game, most are just around 8-9 a game. He's just not making a lot of those either.
MCtripDub
Pro Prospect
And1: 254
Location: Manila, Philippines: Home of Team Gilas Pilipinas #Puso

Post#664 » by MCtripDub » Wed Jan 7, 2015 1:36 am

I'm not too worried about it, not like we drafted him to be our primary scorer or anything. I really see him as our utility man ala Boris Diaw for the Spurs. Rebound, pass, defend, occasionally score, etc.
Help a fellow Sixer fan out! Please drop by http://nbadraftaddict.tumblr.com/ :D

Thanks! #TogetherWeBuild

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,785

Post#665 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jan 7, 2015 10:12 am

TigerInYourTank wrote:

To be fair, that Euroleague player of the month thing was a reach. He had a good month don't get me wrong, but not MVP month. I am not sure why Saric got it. I guess Euroleague really cares about Team's success when giving these awards, and since Efes had a good month of November, even beat Real Madird, they gave the MVP to their most productive player who happened to be Saric.
I would have given MVP to Boban Marjanovic who was killing it.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#666 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jan 7, 2015 12:15 pm

Nearly 46% of Euroleague GMs think Dario will win Euroleague's Rising star award (first place)
Also, nearly 21% of GMs think Dario ios the best PF in the Euroleague (1/2 place, tied with Nemanja Bjelica)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_nSsvp-tYE[/youtube]
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#667 » by Ericb5 » Wed Jan 7, 2015 2:18 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
TigerInYourTank wrote:

To be fair, that Euroleague player of the month thing was a reach. He had a good month don't get me wrong, but not MVP month. I am not sure why Saric got it. I guess Euroleague really cares about Team's success when giving these awards, and since Efes had a good month of November, even beat Real Madird, they gave the MVP to their most productive player who happened to be Saric.
I would have given MVP to Boban Marjanovic who was killing it.

I thought that the award was more along the lines of "young mvp of the month", or something like that. I don't know anything about the league, but I assumed it was more like the NBA's rookie of the month award.

On his shooting, I don't understand why people get so wrapped up in short term statistical trends with young players. Just like with the rawness of Noel, we knew that Saric wasn't a great shooter. Plus his primary purpose for being on the team that he is currently on is to work on his game and not to just make the current team better. He has already been drafted and knows that he has an NBA future so why not work on his skills?

Granted, I haven't seen any of his games and don't know any more about his performances other than seeing the stats. I am just saying in general that stats are especially misleading for young players, and a month or two is a very short period of time to evaluate him.

I think it was Dbodner that was saying a few weeks back that the Sixers were working on tightening up Hollis Thompson's shooting stroke. Obviously, if they are doing something like that with Hollis then his drop in percentage makes more sense as it has a context. Not saying that something similar is necessarily happening with Dario, but the possibility exists.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#668 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jan 7, 2015 2:31 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
I thought that the award was more along the lines of "young mvp of the month", or something like that. I don't know anything about the league, but I assumed it was more like the NBA's rookie of the month award.

No, it was simply MVP of the month. MVP of October for example was Euroleague star Vassilis Spanoulis, who is 32 years old.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#669 » by Ericb5 » Wed Jan 7, 2015 3:58 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:

No, it was simply MVP of the month. MVP of October for example was Euroleague star Vassilis Spanoulis, who is 32 years old.

Ok, then it is pretty strange that a player that plays so few minutes would actually win an MVP. Why doesn't he play over 30 minutes a game if he is playing at a league mvp level?
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#670 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jan 7, 2015 4:09 pm

Ericb5 wrote:Ok, then it is pretty strange that a player that plays so few minutes would actually win an MVP. Why doesn't he play over 30 minutes a game if he is playing at a league mvp level?

Well, as I said, that MVP award was a reach. Anyway, he is averaging 24 minutes per game, he could average a few more, but Euroleague basketball is like that. You will rarely see player play over 30 minutes per game in the Euroleague. Even real MVP candidates like Milos Teodosic and Boban Marjanovic average under 30 minutes.
To begin with, the game is 40 minutes long, not 48. And Euroleague teams tend to be somewhat deep, the talent difference between starters and the bench is not as significant as it is in the NBA.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#671 » by Sixerscan » Wed Jan 7, 2015 5:01 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:Ok, then it is pretty strange that a player that plays so few minutes would actually win an MVP. Why doesn't he play over 30 minutes a game if he is playing at a league mvp level?

Well, as I said, that MVP award was a reach. Anyway, he is averaging 24 minutes per game, he could average a few more, but Euroleague basketball is like that. You will rarely see player play over 30 minutes per game in the Euroleague. Even real MVP candidates like Milos Teodosic and Boban Marjanovic average under 30 minutes.
To begin with, the game is 40 minutes long, not 48. And Euroleague teams tend to be somewhat deep, the talent difference between starters and the bench is not as significant as it is in the NBA.

Saying that means they are "deep" is one way to put it :D

Sort of like saying the Sixers play a lot of guys because they are deep.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#672 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jan 7, 2015 5:05 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Saying that means they are "deep" is one way to put it :D

Sort of like saying the Sixers play a lot of guys because they are deep.

Balanced is probably the word I was looking for,
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#673 » by Ericb5 » Wed Jan 7, 2015 5:16 pm

UcanUwill wrote:

Ah, makes sense. Didn't realize that the games were only 40 minutes.
Banned User
And1: 36

Post#674 » by 20110913 » Fri Jan 9, 2015 6:39 pm

saric is better than what I expected. he is something like Giannis, but a little bit mature.
He will be a Starter PF or SF @76er. maybe he will have a leader role
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#675 » by UcanUwill » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:38 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPZ3MUwlG_A[/youtube]
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#676 » by Agnostifarian » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:03 pm

LEGEND!!
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
KramerDSP
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#677 » by KramerDSP » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:04 pm

Does Saric have a Cleft Lip/Palate or is that just a scar above his lips? Just curious.

Edit - yep, he was born with a cleft lip.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/whos- ... rio-saric/
"I don’t wanna be Jordan, I don’t wanna be Magic, I don’t wanna be Bird or Isiah. I don’t wanna be any of those guys. When my career’s over, I''m gonna look in the mirror and say I did it my way.”- Allen Iverson
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#678 » by wickedwrister » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:38 am

Translated Dario interview where he talks about his experience in Turkey and the Sixers:
http://www.libertyballers.com/2015/1/13/7536829/interview-with-dario-saric

One of the highlights:
Was it a mistake to go to Efes, should you have joined the 'big boys' immediately?

' It is hard to say, we will be smarter when my episode here is finished, and yet we may never know what will happen.'

How long do you plan to be playing in Efes before marching the, "Streets of Philadelphia"? There is no secret that people from the Sixers regularly come to Istanbul, Dario is marked with a thick red marker pen as a part of the foundation of a better future for the triple NBA champion...

'A difficult question to which there is no concrete answer. That is, it is impossible to predict. After the end of the season we will sit down and see if it's time for another year in Istanbul or the time of transition to the United States has come. It is impossible to predict my own future at this time..'

Seems like he hasn't ruled out jumping over next year.

There is more Sixers stuff in there if you click the link including them asking him about tanking and basically saying he loves the current plan and thinks the future is really bright.
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#679 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:07 pm

Great game today (13:30 if not mistaken). Efes - CSKA Moscow. If you can catch it, I would recommend it. CSKA is undefeated (12-0) in the Euroleague.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,805

Post#680 » by Negrodamus » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:53 am

wickedwrister wrote:Translated Dario interview where he talks about his experience in Turkey and the Sixers:
http://www.libertyballers.com/2015/1/13/7536829/interview-with-dario-saric

One of the highlights:
Was it a mistake to go to Efes, should you have joined the 'big boys' immediately?

' It is hard to say, we will be smarter when my episode here is finished, and yet we may never know what will happen.'

How long do you plan to be playing in Efes before marching the, "Streets of Philadelphia"? There is no secret that people from the Sixers regularly come to Istanbul, Dario is marked with a thick red marker pen as a part of the foundation of a better future for the triple NBA champion...

'A difficult question to which there is no concrete answer. That is, it is impossible to predict. After the end of the season we will sit down and see if it's time for another year in Istanbul or the time of transition to the United States has come. It is impossible to predict my own future at this time..'

Seems like he hasn't ruled out jumping over next year.

There is more Sixers stuff in there if you click the link including them asking him about tanking and basically saying he loves the current plan and thinks the future is really bright.

Yep, I will continue to stand by this. He will be a Sixer next year. There's no reason to wait 2 years for him.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers