ImageImageImage

Dario Saric: The Prince That Was Promised (thread renamed 7/14/16)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

MCtripDub
Pro Prospect
And1: 254
Location: Manila, Philippines: Home of Team Gilas Pilipinas #Puso

Dario Saric: The Prince That Was Promised (thread renamed 7/14/16) 

Post#1 » by MCtripDub » Mon Jun 2, 2014 1:32 am

I've been seeing threads talking about loving certain prospects, and I just wanted to join in the fun. :lol:

Anyway, I actually wanted Dario Saric in last year's draft. Before he pulled out of the draft, and before we traded Jrue subsequently leaving us needing a point guard at the 11th spot. I love these multifaceted players. Like a swiss army knife (Malik Rose voice), but can actually shoot (unlike Evan). Growing up, my favorite of the UnbeataBULLS was Toni Kukoc, and while I was playing in High School, I patterned my game after Boris Diaw phx days so I watched a lot of his tape. I see similarities in both of those players when I watch Dario.

Moving on, to the numbers! Our GM, after all, is all about them:
Acc. to Draftexpress, he's 6'10 223. Stretch 4? Based on the videos I've seen, he seems strong enough to defend 4s, though not quick enough to defend 3's playing PF.

Also, in 28 adriatic league games Dario averaged 16.7 ppg on 5.9 out of 11.9 fga (49.7%) with 9.7 rpg and 3.2 apg, but with 3.4 topg. In addition to this, he shot 34.5% from three (1.1 out of 3.1 3fga)

His scoring is very efficient, especially given that he likes taking jumpers, yet still has great footwork in the post.

Though his assist:turnover ratio is pretty bad, I think he makes good decisions (based on videos on youtube) except when he decides to bring the ball down, hence committing a lot of his turnovers. I really like his unselfishness too, if you see some of his videos, the first thing he does when he gets the ball in the post is to look around and read the defense, and locate the shooters or cutters. Very pass-oriented player.

Here's a vid of him dropping 36 last week. I really like his game and I feel like we should grab him at 10. Even if he doesn't come and play this year, it could benefit us (if we still have any patience left) since it might lead us to miss the playoffs again with our lack of talent and depth, but at least we get to keep the 1st rounder from the Arnett deal right? Conversely, if he comes this year I actually think he'd make a difference. 7-8th spot maybe? Anyway, thoughts?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF8DXvmy73Q[/youtube]

More highlights

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g3TrEGyCco[/youtube]

Dario triple double

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFykcap2AtQ[/youtube]
Help a fellow Sixer fan out! Please drop by http://nbadraftaddict.tumblr.com/ :D

Thanks! #TogetherWeBuild

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,106

Re: Falling for Dario Naharis.. I mean, Dario Saric. 

Post#2 » by Kobblehead » Mon Jun 2, 2014 1:38 am

Rumors that he's a head case and very high maintenance. I mean, didn't a report come out earlier this week that he wasn't even gonna come over next year unless Boston or L.A. drafted him?
MCtripDub
Pro Prospect
And1: 254
Location: Manila, Philippines: Home of Team Gilas Pilipinas #Puso

Post#3 » by MCtripDub » Mon Jun 2, 2014 1:41 am

Kobblehead wrote:Rumors that he's a head case and very high maintenance. I mean, didn't a report come out earlier this week that he wasn't even gonna come over next year unless Boston or L.A. drafted him?

Rumors on attitude are a little hard to base opinions off of IMO, it's very he said she said right? And as for the report, idk if I understood it wrong, but wasn't it his agent who said that? I don't think it's like a Eli Manning-Chargers or Kevin Love-Duke like situation.
Help a fellow Sixer fan out! Please drop by http://nbadraftaddict.tumblr.com/ :D

Thanks! #TogetherWeBuild

mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#4 » by mos_def » Mon Jun 2, 2014 1:46 am

Kobblehead wrote:Rumors that he's a head case and very high maintenance. I mean, didn't a report come out earlier this week that he wasn't even gonna come over next year unless Boston or L.A. drafted him?

dont you miss the days when every Euros big came in as slow footed shooters. now the distance shooting seem to have left those Euros leaving them just slow footed
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#5 » by wickedwrister » Mon Jun 2, 2014 2:14 am

Getting a guy at 10 who wont come over this year could actually be a good thing. Sixers already are going to be working at integrating 2 rookies into the starting line up along with a 2nd year PG
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,718

Post#6 » by 76thBearCub » Mon Jun 2, 2014 2:14 am

The very little iv read said he was skilled but not a good shooter.. ? It makes all the difference in the world if he can shoot or not. This is basketball afterall
HankTheTank
Pro Prospect
And1: 558

Post#7 » by HankTheTank » Mon Jun 2, 2014 2:47 am

Saric would be a much more inspired pick at 10 then someone like Harris, and I could get behind it. It's not NBA competition, but he's 6'10 and it seems as if he has the ability to pass and shoot at a high level. He's also got what looks to be a quick spin move, and can even bring the ball up the floor. We know Hinkie is well aware of him...
*GENIUS*
Hinkie graduated summa cum laude with a 4.0 GPA from the Univ of Oklahoma and was named one of the top-60 undergrad students in the nation by USA TODAY. He holds an MBA from Stanford, graduating with highest honors as an Arjay Miller Scholar.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#8 » by PhilasFinest » Mon Jun 2, 2014 3:52 am

idk, i wouldn't mind him at 10.....but if he's really not coming over unless Boston/Lakers draft him, then id be worried he pulls a fran vasquez and doesn't come over.

seems like he is already thinking of himself as a star, and trying to market himself.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#9 » by Agnostifarian » Mon Jun 2, 2014 12:10 pm

Saric is a talented, young player who just lead his team to a championship. He has earned the right to feel good about himself. Let's not turn this around on him. We knock Wiggins for being passive. We knock Vonleh, Randle and even Parker for being a black hole on offense. Saric is a playmaker who can thrive in the open court and he offers all the tools to play an important role in a half court offense too. He's an inconsistent shooter and some question his overall athleticism. We're talking about the #10 range. Saric would be a solid addition, IMO, if Hinkie goes that way.

I am very sure that Saric and Nurkic would have played damn well against NCAA competition last winter, if they had been in the states. I don't really want to eurostash a #10 pick but it guarantees we stay out of the playoffs next year and keep the rebuild on track.
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
Kova
Veteran
And1: 711

Post#10 » by Kova » Mon Jun 2, 2014 7:27 pm

Been saying for months now that he would be a steal at 10. 5 years from now, he will be advertised as top 5 pick in this draft.

And for all the guys saying that he is a head case and high maintenance, where did you read that, on TMZ? Lol!
Iscull
Junior
And1: 101

Post#11 » by Iscull » Mon Jun 2, 2014 7:46 pm

No thanks, I'd rather bring in Stauskas or Lavine.
HankTheTank
Pro Prospect
And1: 558

Post#12 » by HankTheTank » Mon Jun 2, 2014 8:11 pm

Kova wrote:Been saying for months now that he would be a steal at 10. 5 years from now, he will be advertised as top 5 pick in this draft.

And for all the guys saying that he is a head case and high maintenance, where did you read that, on TMZ? Lol!

I believe Hinkie the Genius is spreading that rumor. Brilliant
*GENIUS*
Hinkie graduated summa cum laude with a 4.0 GPA from the Univ of Oklahoma and was named one of the top-60 undergrad students in the nation by USA TODAY. He holds an MBA from Stanford, graduating with highest honors as an Arjay Miller Scholar.
Kova
Veteran
And1: 711

Post#13 » by Kova » Tue Jun 3, 2014 8:20 am

Iscull wrote:No thanks, I'd rather bring in Stauskas or Lavine.

Of course you would, and I don't blame you. Because for you there is no basketball beyond US borders.
Let just bring in one dimensional players like Stauskas (shooter) and Lavine (raw athlete).
bedjaw
Senior
And1: 44

Post#14 » by bedjaw » Tue Jun 3, 2014 2:25 pm

lamp23 wrote:The very little iv read said he was skilled but not a good shooter.. ? It makes all the difference in the world if he can shoot or not. This is basketball afterall

One of the few things you can take from the video is he can indeed shoot. Step back threes from a 6-10 dude translates in any league.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,106

Post#15 » by Kobblehead » Tue Jun 3, 2014 2:37 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty baffled that Saric has the reputation of a shooter just because he's a Euro big. He shot under 70% from the free throw line in the Adriatic League this year.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,718

Post#16 » by 76thBearCub » Tue Jun 3, 2014 2:40 pm

You can make a video of anybody and make them look like a great shooter. How many of those step back 3s does he miss
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,908

Post#17 » by Wilfried » Tue Jun 3, 2014 2:59 pm

He's a very good basketball-player.

I wouldn't hesitate at #10
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#18 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Jun 3, 2014 3:45 pm

My only issue with Saric is, is he gonna come here and play.

If he was coming over, id take him at 10 for sure
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#19 » by MRxBLACK » Tue Jun 3, 2014 3:52 pm

PhilasFinest wrote:My only issue with Saric is, is he gonna come here and play.

If he was coming over, id take him at 10 for sure

Shades of Fran Vasquez.
ESPN Sucks
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#20 » by Skates » Tue Jun 3, 2014 4:05 pm

I would like Saric a lot more if he was a great shooter. His shooting seems improved, but his release is really slow, I mean super slow, he has to be wide open to have any accuracy or avoid blocks. Guys like Stauskas and McDermott have those Korver-esque super quick releases and great form that I love. Saric seems to have a really nice floor game, so I'd have to trust in Hinkie on that one if he likes him.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers