ImageImageImage

2014-2015 College Basketball / '15 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,798

Re: 2014-2015 College Basketball / '15 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#341 » by Negrodamus » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:37 am

DayofMourning wrote:Any discussion on Karl Anthony Towns 18 point, 9 rebound blue white scrimmage performance? Every time he shows up, he stands out, without looking for his.

He's incredibly talented, but don't let that stat line create any opinion on him. It's very much an unstructured scrimmage that revolves around pumping up the fan base.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,736

Post#342 » by DayofMourning » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:43 am

Negrodamus wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:Any discussion on Karl Anthony Towns 18 point, 9 rebound blue white scrimmage performance? Every time he shows up, he stands out, without looking for his.

He's incredibly talented, but don't let that stat line create any opinion on him. It's very much an unstructured scrimmage that revolves around pumping up the fan base.

I agree. My opinion has been formed a long time ago on him though. He's my top ranked prospect in the draft, and has been for several months. He's a better prospect than anybody in the past three drafts outside of Embiid IMO.

I figured that there might be some discussion on the scrimmage since it showcases so many prospects that might be on the Sixers' radar. I missed it unfortunately.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,798

Post#343 » by Negrodamus » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:46 am

DayofMourning wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

I agree. My opinion has been formed a long time ago on him though. He's my top ranked prospect in the draft, and has been for several months. He's a better prospect than anybody in the past three drafts outside of Embiid IMO.

I figured that there might be some discussion on the scrimmage since it showcases so many prospects that might be on the Sixers' radar. I missed it unfortunately.

I missed it also, but I've also seen the past 8 years, so I can't imagine it was much different than years past. Honestly the only thing that makes me nervous about Towns as it pertains to the NBA is foot speed. He's not overtly athletic, but he's outrageously skilled.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#344 » by DayofMourning » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:57 am

Negrodamus wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

I missed it also, but I've also seen the past 8 years, so I can't imagine it was much different than years past. Honestly the only thing that makes me nervous about Towns as it pertains to the NBA is foot speed. He's not overtly athletic, but he's outrageously skilled.

I agree, but I kind of look at it in a Dirk Nowitizki pair of glasses (if that even makes sense). What are you getting? Put that in one hand. What do you wish he could do? Put that in another. Its going to be incredibly disproportional.

He's got a great basketball imagination (if that even makes sense). He does extraordinary things instinctually. That's pretty rare. I'd love to see him manning the high post with guys like Noel and Embiid. He'd excel in that role.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#345 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:20 am

I think if we get a top 5 pick this year we should definitely draft Emmanuel Mudiay . This guy has star potential and high upside as a scoring threat. He is extremely fast, athletic and crafty around the rim. I think he would be a excellent scoring guard for our team. He is unstoppable in the open court and has potential to develop a deadly midrange game. He almost requires a double team. I am not on Johnson and Oubre as top 5 picks they seem more suited as role players.
I am very high on Mario Hezonja as well who reminds of Sean Elliot . Would love to get him with the Miami pick or trade down to get him. This team would be sick .

Embiid/ Sims
Noel/ Saric / Grant
Hezonja/ Mcdaniels
Mudiay/ Thompson/ McRae
MCW / Wroten
BoomBap
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#346 » by BoomBap » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:38 am

i really like karl towns. noel-embiid-towns. holy moly

@Leon: Mario is supposed to be a high lottery pick.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man

Post#347 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:45 pm

BoomBap wrote:i really like karl towns. noel-embiid-towns. holy moly

@Leon: Mario is supposed to be a high lottery pick.

Towns is very intriguing however I am concerned about his foot speed and athleticism on the next level.

Mudiay has star potential. I think he has massive potential as a scoring 2 guard . He is so fast and strong for his age. His jumper even looks promising . I would run him and MCW in the backcourt with Wroten as 6th man and run teams off the court. If he learns how to pull up midrange and out to 3pt land he will be a allstar. He's got the craftiness going to the rim and the ability to create like Manu - Tyreke just faster and more athletic. He's only 18 he could grow some more and be a younger more talented Lance Stephenson. Towns may not be better than Saric . Comparable skill and a Saric got him beat in mobility. :nod:

Someone name 5 players in this draft with legit star potential besides Mudiay?
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#348 » by DayofMourning » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:39 pm

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:I think if we get a top 5 pick this year we should definitely draft Emmanuel Mudiay . This guy has star potential and high upside as a scoring threat. He is extremely fast, athletic and crafty around the rim. I think he would be a excellent scoring guard for our team. He is unstoppable in the open court and has potential to develop a deadly midrange game. He almost requires a double team. I am not on Johnson and Oubre as top 5 picks they seem more suited as role players.
I am very high on Mario Hezonja as well who reminds of Sean Elliot . Would love to get him with the Miami pick or trade down to get him. This team would be sick .

Embiid/ Sims
Noel/ Saric / Grant
Hezonja/ Mcdaniels
Mudiay/ Thompson/ McRae
MCW / Wroten

I'd worry about putting two ball dominant guards in the backcourt together. I'd really worry about those two if neither is a good shooter.

You have to have spacing, which is why I suggest Towns being such a great complement in the front court to both Embiid and Noel. That spacing creates the opportunities for everyone else to play their game. He pulls the defender off Embiid/Noel and makes them more efficient.

Hezonja makes sense as well. He has an aggressive attitude, good athleticism, and a nice stroke. He also can play point, though his game is best suited off the ball.

I don't see a situation where you get a top tier guy (Towns, Okafor) AND a secondary talent (Hezonja) with the picks you have now. Miami's pick won't be good enough. If you combine that pick with Saric, then it may be good enough to move up to get him, as he could fall the same way Dario did.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man

Post#349 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:46 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
LeonJordanJr24 wrote:I think if we get a top 5 pick this year we should definitely draft Emmanuel Mudiay . This guy has star potential and high upside as a scoring threat. He is extremely fast, athletic and crafty around the rim. I think he would be a excellent scoring guard for our team. He is unstoppable in the open court and has potential to develop a deadly midrange game. He almost requires a double team. I am not on John son and Oubre as top 5 picks they seem more suited as role players.

Embiid/ Sims
Noel/ Saric / Grant
Hezonja/ Mcdaniels
Mudiay/ Thompson/ McRae
MCW / Wroten

I'd worry about putting two ball dominant guards in the backcourt together. I'd really worry about those two if neither is a good shooter.

You have to have spacing, which is why I suggest Towns being such a great complement in the front court to both Embiid and Noel. That spacing creates the opportunities for everyone else to play their game. He pulls the defender off Embiid/Noel and makes them more efficient.

Hezonja makes sense as well. He has an aggressive attitude, toughness, good athleticism, and a nice stroke. He also can play point, though his game is best suited off the ball.

I don't see a situation where you get a top tier guy (Towns, Okafor) AND a secondary talent (Hezonja) with the picks you have now. Miami's pick won't be good enough. If you combine that pick with Saric, then it may be good enough to move up to get him, as he could fall the same way Dario did.

Towns is a good compliment for Joel and Noel however Saric is a even better compliment with his aggressiveness and mobility . I don't really like the idea of a skilled yet slow C 7fter alway from the basket. Saric is a better passer , creator and may be the better shooter in the long run. Hinkie can get Hezonja some how if he wants...

MCW and Mudiay can both play off ball. Potential as shooters can be learned . Mudiay is special.

When it's all said and done I would at least one starting caliber wings out of this draft possibly two . We need to draft someone we can mold into a go to guy.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#350 » by No-Man » Tue Nov 4, 2014 9:11 am

Mudiay makes the most sense right now.
Wroten is barely an NBA player, he gets number but he is not efficient and he is basically a tank leader right now, he might work as a 6th man.

I like MCW as a SG defensively, but he needs to improve his shooting and offtheball game, if it doesnt work you can trade him if Mudiay proves to be the better one between those two.

The rest present too many doubts, and Okafor and Towns will have even more problems too fit in the current system.

If you get out of the top2, I'd go with Stanley Johnson right now for Philly.
vdalfmd
Sophomore
And1: 73

Post#351 » by vdalfmd » Tue Nov 4, 2014 9:56 am

Fischella wrote:Mudiay makes the most sense right now.
Wroten is barely an NBA player, he gets number but he is not efficient and he is basically a tank leader right now, he might work as a 6th man.

I like MCW as a SG defensively, but he needs to improve his shooting and offtheball game, if it doesnt work you can trade him if Mudiay proves to be the better one between those two.

The rest present too many doubts, and Okafor and Towns will have even more problems too fit in the current system.

According to Lowe's report, Hinkie tried hard to trade MCW during the summer... If we take it for true, Mudiay right now is at the top of Hinkie's list.
I can't see right now Johnson, Oubre or Winslow as top 5 picks, maybe during the season... Hinkie won't force a top pick for roster needs, and in 2016 draft (LOL) there'll be Jaylen Brown. Considering that in 2015/2016 we'll play with nothing but 2 rookies (Embiid, 2015 pick) and sophomores I'm not sure that we will be outside the lottery.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#352 » by dbodner » Tue Nov 4, 2014 12:54 pm

According to Lowe's report, Hinkie tried hard to trade MCW during the summer... If we take it for true, Mudiay right now is at the top of Hinkie's list.

That's not what that means. The chatter about MCW's availability happened before the 2014 draft.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man

Post#353 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Tue Nov 4, 2014 4:11 pm

vdalfmd wrote:

I can't see right now Johnson, Oubre or Winslow as top 5 picks, maybe during the season... Hinkie won't force a top pick for roster needs, and in 2016 draft (LOL) there'll be Jaylen Brown. Considering that in 2015/2016 we'll play with nothing but 2 rookies (Embiid, 2015 pick) and sophomores I'm not sure that we will be outside the lottery.
p

I seriously doubt we'd trade MCW he is looked at as a leader on this team . I actually think Hinkie will keep him . He has greater value to our team then in a trade . MCW is exceeded expectations thus far. I definitely don't see Mudiay as a significant upgrade either he is way similar to Tony Wroten in playing style. Actually Wroten maybe be better lol. I think non of the top lottery big's are Hinkie type players. They lack athleticism and speed that he covets like Noel and Joel. A player that sticks out as definite Hinkie target is Kelly Oubre especially if he out plays Wiggins freshman year at Kansas. This guy is smooth , very athletic , nba 3pt range, great defensive and offensive instincts. Oh a lefty and a 7'2 wingspan!!!!!! He is definitely a Sam Hinkie type wing :nod: Hinkie love wiggins as a prospect and Oubre is no slouch! Also Mario Hezonja is a no brainier as well. A 6'8 pure 2 guard who is teammates with Dario Saric who we can bring both over in a year or two. I think the a Miami pick will be traded to a mid to late lottery to get him. A asset like Wroten or assets from trading down in lottery can get us this.
ET Da Gawd
Sixth Man
And1: 367

Post#354 » by ET Da Gawd » Wed Nov 5, 2014 5:11 pm

Mudiay seems like another twroten, we need some stanley johnson, shooters or bigs...period
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man

Post#355 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Wed Nov 5, 2014 6:07 pm

ET Da Gawd wrote:Mudiay seems like another twroten, we need some stanley johnson, shooters or bigs...period

Mudiay is just like Wroten . Stanley Johnson is not a good catch and shoot player and likes the ball in his hands. Not really of fan of that for this team. I think we need to get a crafty scoring wing like Mario Hezonja or a versatile athletic wing like Kelly Oubre who I think could develop into our Kawhi Leonard with his skill, athleticism and similar measurements. Both have a catch and shoot game as their strength . Either one or both would put us in a great direction.
AAKing23
Junior
And1: 171

Post#356 » by AAKing23 » Wed Nov 5, 2014 6:58 pm

Dude what are you talking about? Wroten barely an NBA player.............. :crazy:
MountainDrew
Veteran
And1: 885

Post#357 » by MountainDrew » Wed Nov 5, 2014 7:00 pm

Well, he wouldn't be in the rotation for most teams. Really inconsistant. He has improved quite a bit though, has the potential to be good.
Trust the Process
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man

Post#358 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Wed Nov 5, 2014 7:40 pm

Wroten has elite speed ,size and athleticism. Wroten is a decent nba player at the moment . His driving and finishing ability is definitely more than decent for a nba player. He will be a good nba player.
KKell2507
Starter
And1: 507

Post#359 » by KKell2507 » Fri Nov 7, 2014 1:43 pm

I cant believe how "blah" some of you are on Tony Wroten. Hes off to an absolutely incredible start. Yet some of you are still thinking hes not even a rotation player or even worse not an NBA player?

Hes averaging 20.8pts, 4.4reb, 7.0asts, 3.4stls, shooting 46.7% FG and 42.1% 3pt. He has a 21.44 PER.

AND hes still only 21! Hes still the 4th youngest player on the youngest team in NBA history.

I dont care what his teammates are because last I checked the 76ers were still an NBA team and he still had to face NBA competition.

Does he have holes? sure. just like every 21 year old in the NBA. He needs to work on his decision making and sloppy ball security to cut down on his TOs(just like most 21 year olds). He also needs to continue to work on his jumpshot. But for as much as we talk about Hinkie finding gems or diamonds in the rough with these signings and minor trades, why do we always continue to look down the roster at Hollis Thompson or Henry Sims but always forget to mention Tony Wroten? We got him for nothing just like the rest. And hes severely outperformed every other minor move Hinkie has made thus far. Time to give the kid some props and be damn excited that we have him.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man

Post#360 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Fri Nov 7, 2014 2:12 pm

KKell2507 wrote:I cant believe how "blah" some of you are on Tony Wroten. Hes off to an absolutely incredible start. Yet some of you are still thinking hes not even a rotation player or even worse not an NBA player?

Hes averaging 20.8pts, 4.4reb, 7.0asts, 3.4stls, shooting 46.7% FG and 42.1% 3pt. He has a 21.44 PER.

AND hes still only 21! Hes still the 4th youngest player on the youngest team in NBA history.

I dont care what his teammates are because last I checked the 76ers were still an NBA team and he still had to face NBA competition.

Does he have holes? sure. just like every 21 year old in the NBA. He needs to work on his decision making and sloppy ball security to cut down on his TOs(just like most 21 year olds). He also needs to continue to work on his jumpshot. But for as much as we talk about Hinkie finding gems or diamonds in the rough with these signings and minor trades, why do we always continue to look down the roster at Hollis Thompson or Henry Sims but always forget to mention Tony Wroten? We got him for nothing just like the rest. And hes severely outperformed every other minor move Hinkie has made thus far. Time to give the kid some props and be damn excited that we have him.

If you dislike Wroten but want to draft to draft a guy Like Emmanual Mudiay in your top 3 you will be very disappointed . Mudiay is not a pure point guard and relies on his athleticism . He isn't even a elite just a avg athlete by NBA standards . Watch Mudiay vs Stephen Marbury matchup video from recently. 38 year old Marbury is still quicker and more explosive than 20 year old Mudiay is right now. However Wroten is extremely fast with the ball in his hands and in the open court . Better size than Mudiay as well. Better defender and improving decision maker. Hey! He may even have a better IQ . 76ers don't need Mudiay . They don't need a Okafor or Towns either. Noel is a better fit to compliment our athletic style of play and defensive intensity who can legitimately guard 4's . We need to grab Kelly Oubre he will be special on the wing. Just like KJ Mcdaniels he's long, athletic and can hit the 3. Not many wings have a 7'2 wingspan and defensive instincts like Oubre. He will be a great player.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers