2014-2015 College Basketball / '15 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,008

Re: 2014-2015 College Basketball / '15 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#241 » by DayofMourning » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:05 pm

snoopdogg88 wrote:Someone convince me Cliff Alexander isn't Thomas Robinson part 2

I think you're catching on to the reality of next year's draft. I think there are only going to be a few guys who are genuine stars. I see it in Towns and possibly Okafor and Mudiay. I'm talking true star talent though, not just borderline star talent (think Caron Butler in his Washington days).

Its hard to find those guys in any draft though. I think Embiid is the only guy from last year's draft who becomes that superstar. Lavine could be that due to his skill set. True stars are very few.

Alexander isn't going to be a superstar in my opinion. In the Sixers case, you have a chance to cash in if you are able to draft Towns. Go big, or go home. You've done it the past two years (Noel and Embiid). If you can't, then I'd go for fit-Hezonja.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#242 » by LloydFree » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:48 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
snoopdogg88 wrote:Someone convince me Cliff Alexander isn't Thomas Robinson part 2

I think you're catching on to the reality of next year's draft. I think there are only going to be a few guys who are genuine stars. I see it in Towns and possibly Okafor and Mudiay. I'm talking true star talent though, not just borderline star talent (think Caron Butler in his Washington days).

Its hard to find those guys in any draft though. I think Embiid is the only guy from last year's draft who becomes that superstar. Lavine could be that due to his skill set. True stars are very few.

Alexander isn't going to be a superstar in my opinion. In the Sixers case, you have a chance to cash in if you are able to draft Towns. Go big, or go home. You've done it the past two years (Noel and Embiid). If you can't, then I'd go for fit-Hezonja.

I believe you are correct. Right now, Karl Townes, Emmanuel Mudiay and Okafor are the top 3, and if they have to take another big, so be it. They're all 20 years old, and will have to be developed anyway. The Celtics took McHale #2, when they were loaded with Hall of Famers in the frontcourt. It can be managed.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,008

Post#243 » by DayofMourning » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:12 pm

LloydFree wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

I believe you are correct. Right now, Karl Townes, Emmanuel Mudiay and Okafor are the top 3, and if they have to take another big, so be it. They're all 20 years old, and will have to be developed anyway. The Celtics took McHale #2, when they were loaded with Hall of Famers in the frontcourt. It can be managed.

Towns has such a diverse skill set that it makes him a more natural addition to the Sixers front court. His shooting range would be very valuable. Embiid and especially Noel will have to get theirs closest to the basket. Towns' range will allow them better opportunities there, effectively maximizing their abilities. His size/range combination is almost unfair. The mismatches he will create at the NBA level, especially with a team that has two very good young, big prospects will be something to behold. Add his passing ability to that equation, and you really have something special.

The only problem I see would be his addition devaluing Saric for the Sixers. Unless Saric becomes a deep threat, then you have an over abundance of big talent. That might make Saric a very tradeable asset. Maybe package him with Miami's pick? I don't know. It's a little early for all that any way.
DavidHume
Junior
And1: 122

Post#244 » by DavidHume » Thu Sep 4, 2014 12:29 am

LloydFree wrote:The Celtics took McHale #2, when they were loaded with Hall of Famers in the frontcourt.

Well, not quite. The Celtics didn't have anybody of note at the 4 or 5 spots going in to that year (Cowens was gone), but they held the number one overall pick in the draft. They traded that pick to the Warriors for Parish and the number 3 pick, which they used to draft McHale. Maybe a better example is the '86 Celtics, which featured Parish, McHale and Walton. That was a truly great team (as much as it pains me to admit). In any event, I tend to agree with you about the strategy being viable.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#245 » by LloydFree » Thu Sep 4, 2014 12:45 am

DavidHume wrote:
LloydFree wrote:The Celtics took McHale #2, when they were loaded with Hall of Famers in the frontcourt.

Well, not quite. The Celtics didn't have anybody of note at the 4 or 5 spots going in to that year (Cowens was gone), but they held the number one overall pick in the draft. They traded that pick to the Warriors for Parish and the number 3 pick, which they used to draft McHale. Maybe a better example is the '86 Celtics, which featured Parish, McHale and Walton. That was a truly great team (as much as it pains me to admit). In any event, I tend to agree with you about the strategy being viable.

They didn't have any body of note? What are you talking about? They had Cedric Maxwell. Cedric Maxwell was MVP of the '81 finals. His number is retired.
He was selected in the top 10 of his draft and was only a 4 year veteran. The Boston front line in McHale's rookie year was Parrish, Bird and Maxwell, and it stayed that way for 3 years. The point is, Boston had 4 young, top 10 picks in their front court and they still found a way to get all of them 30 minutes per game.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
DavidHume
Junior
And1: 122

Post#246 » by DavidHume » Thu Sep 4, 2014 1:23 am

LloydFree wrote:
DavidHume wrote:

They didn't have any body of note? They had Cedric Maxwell. He was a great player. He used to give Barkley fits. His number is retired. He was selected in the top 10 of his draft and was only a 4 year veteran. Their front line in McHale's rookie year was Parrish, Bird and Maxwell, and it stayed that way for 3 years.

*** FYI: Cedric Maxwell was MVP of the 1981 finals.

You were talking about adding another big (Towns or Okafor) to go along with Embiid and Noel. The Celtics had zero players in that category (talented big men who can only play the 4 or 5) the year before they acquired McHale. They acquired McHale and Parish at the same time, giving them 2 players (not 3) of that type. I think what you are missing here is that I'm agreeing with you that having 3 bigs can, in principle, work. It's just that the Celtics didn't have that at that time.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#247 » by LloydFree » Thu Sep 4, 2014 5:25 am

DavidHume wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
DavidHume wrote:

They didn't have any body of note? They had Cedric Maxwell. He was a great player. He used to give Barkley fits. His number is retired. He was selected in the top 10 of his draft and was only a 4 year veteran. Their front line in McHale's rookie year was Parrish, Bird and Maxwell, and it stayed that way for 3 years.

*** FYI: Cedric Maxwell was MVP of the 1981 finals.

You were talking about adding another big (Towns or Okafor) to go along with Embiid and Noel. The Celtics had zero players in that category (talented big men who can only play the 4 or 5) the year before they acquired McHale. They acquired McHale and Parish at the same time, giving them 2 players (not 3) of that type. I think what you are missing here is that I'm agreeing with you that having 3 bigs can, in principle, work. It's just that the Celtics didn't have that at that time.

OK. I'm done arguing the significance of Two Powers Forwards from 30 years ago. Its Off topic, and boring for everybody else. You have to be right, so be right.
AAKing23
Junior
And1: 171

Post#248 » by AAKing23 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:39 am

I'm starting to come around on Mudiay and Stanley Johnson as possible picks. I think Mudiay looks explosive and athletic enough to play the the 2 next to MCW as a secondary initiator of the offfense. Only question is his jumpshot. He certainly has all star potential.

PG: Michael Carter-Williams / Pierre Jackson
SG: Emmanuel Mudiay / Tony Wroten
SF: K.J McDaniels / Hollis Thompson
PF: Nerlens Noel / Dario Saric
C: Joel Embiid / Henry Sims

I also like Stanley Johnson's game as well, I feel he'll at least be a very solid wing defender and if you put him and KJ on the wings with Embiid and Noel on the frontline you have a great defensive core to build with. Also has a questionable jumpshot but you know that's the type of player we love to draft lol
MountainDrew
Veteran
And1: 885

Post#249 » by MountainDrew » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:42 pm

I like Oubre right now, It would be nice if these wings turned out to be good, we could really use one.
Trust the Process
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,141

Post#250 » by marcush » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:20 pm

MountainDrew wrote:I like Oubre right now, It would be nice if these wings turned out to be good, we could really use one.

Agreed. He seems to tick a lot of boxes. Can't wait for college ball to start. Would love for a prototypical 2 guard to appear from nowhere.
76ersfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 205

Post#251 » by 76ersfan » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:18 pm

MountainDrew wrote:I like Oubre right now, It would be nice if these wings turned out to be good, we could really use one.

I have heard some Rudy Gay comparisons. Are they accurate?? Btw I have not watched him so I have no idea what Oubre does well.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Long Live Sam Hinkie :D
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#252 » by No-Man » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:55 pm

76ersfan wrote:

I have heard some Rudy Gay comparisons. Are they accurate?? Btw I have not watched him so I have no idea what Oubre does well.

Gay is stronger, but yep, he is fairly similar as a player, Gay could be a little bit more aggresive as a scorer.
76ersfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 205

Post#253 » by 76ersfan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:23 am

Fischella wrote:
76ersfan wrote:

Gay is stronger, but yep, he is fairly similar as a player, Gay could be a little bit more aggresive as a scorer.

Thanks for the info.

Long Live Sam Hinkie :D
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#254 » by Ericb5 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:05 am

It is so early to really know what we have in this up coming draft. At this point last year everyone thought that there were 3 stars in the 14 draft(Wiggins, Parker and Randle) and by the time that the draft came around Randle was out of the top 3 and Embiid came out of nowhere(sort of nowhere) and passed everyone.

My hunch right now about next year's draft is that there is only 1 star in Okafor. I would put Towns, And Mudiay at the Randle, Gordon and Smart level with the talent to jump up into the top tier with Okafor if they have big years.

Guys like Hezonja, Oubre, Johnson, etc... are total mysteries to me right now. I'm not sure if they are the next Aaron Harrison's or the next Noah Vonleh's. I mean that they could establish themselves as top 10 picks or they could drop out of the top 20. I WANT to be excited about someone like Oubre, but I need to see him produce.

A wildcard is someone like Caris Lavert or Chris Walker. They both could surprise this year. Wayne Selden too.

vdalfmd
Sophomore
And1: 73

Post#255 » by vdalfmd » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:14 am

DraftExpress started to put some pre season reports:

Stanley Johnson

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yk3uPL4s-U[/youtube]

Kelly Oubre

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzmYn8-Zapk[/youtube]

Cliff Alexander

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_NP2cHOiWA[/youtube]

I'm waiting for Karl Towns and Justise Winslow...
42uptop
Starter
And1: 754

Post#256 » by 42uptop » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:36 pm

DX's rankings are bad right now. I really have to question the basketball acumen of someone who thinks that Myles Turner is the 17th prospect, behind nobodies like Harrell, Walker, and Cauley-Stein. That makes no sense.

Also, Karl Towns is the best prospect. Better than Okafor. Just gonna say that now.
I speak the truth.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#257 » by Ericb5 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:31 pm

42uptop wrote:DX's rankings are bad right now. I really have to question the basketball acumen of someone who thinks that Myles Turner is the 17th prospect, behind nobodies like Harrell, Walker, and Cauley-Stein. That makes no sense.

Also, Karl Towns is the best prospect. Better than Okafor. Just gonna say that now.

I like Draftexpress's rankings better than nbadraft.net's generally. Myles Turner is just raw. If he plays well in the first month of the season I bet that he rockets up to the top 5 or 6.

Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#258 » by Foshan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:29 pm

Anyone know much about Chris LeVert? looks like a long gangly 3pt shooting wing... but then he's a Junior? Didn't hear much about him last year.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#259 » by No-Man » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:38 pm

I would give the nod to Stan the man between the wings right now, he is younger than Hezonja, Oubre and LeVert, stronger than all of them and only less athletic than Oubre, Kelly has a higher ceiling because of that and better length, but Stan is already imposing in both ens and plays really hard and focus, I'd draft him as high as 3rd, so If Philly ends up with that type of pick I'd go for him.
If you pick 1st, that's another story, but trading down is always an option, Boston, Utah (Kanter RFA plus doubts about him), Milwaukee, Minnesota and Orlando (Pekovic, Vucevic and Sanders could be on the move), Phoenix (with the Lakers pick) can be teams try to nab Okafor, you can get a good haul of picks and players for the top pick.
42uptop
Starter
And1: 754

Post#260 » by 42uptop » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:14 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
42uptop wrote:DX's rankings are bad right now. I really have to question the basketball acumen of someone who thinks that Myles Turner is the 17th prospect, behind nobodies like Harrell, Walker, and Cauley-Stein. That makes no sense.

I like Draftexpress's rankings better than nbadraft.net's generally. Myles Turner is just raw. If he plays well in the first month of the season I bet that he rockets up to the top 5 or 6.

I don't think Turner is raw. His post game is raw, but he is a capable shooter, passer, and a dominant defensive center. He is actually a very smart player who knows his strengths.

On the other hand, you have a dyed hair goofball like Willie Cauley-Stein who can only dunk. Montrezl Harrell is a 6'6 power forward with no range. DX should be able to determine that these upperclassmen aren't going to be top 10 picks this year.
I speak the truth.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers