ImageImageImage

Nerlens Noel Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Re: Nerlens Noel Thread 

Post#1061 » by James40 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 4:58 am

T-wOlvEs 420 wrote:I didn't watch 76er games, so I don't really know the impact he had on your team, but I am very familiar with the stats he had, had he played the way he did in the second half all year, then maybe he wins i guess, but I still give it to Wiggins.

You should give it to him he's on your team, homers gonna homer. I do believe a Wiggins guarded Westbrook when he was destroying the NBA including the Sixers, and Wiggins held him to like 18 points, so I'll give him that one.

Had Jabari played an entire season he would of won it anyway.
76ers 2020
Senior
And1: 341

Re: Re: 

Post#1062 » by 76ers 2020 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 5:50 am

MRxBLACK wrote:
T-wOlvEs 420 wrote:Andrew Wiggins!!! Way more deserving than Noel.. Not even close.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Noel was absolutely better than Wiggins, so was Mirotic as well.

That reminds me what was the reaction to Lou Williams winning 6th man? Because that was pretty much the same thing.
76ers 2020
Senior
And1: 341

Post#1063 » by 76ers 2020 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 9:39 am

Here is an interesting one. Defending the roll man on pick and rolls. Numbers via NBA.com

Kevin Love vs Nerlens Noel
Points allowed per possession
Noel 1.03 on 74 possessions placing him in the bottom 20 percentile
Love .78 on 89 possessions placing him in the top 30 percentile
Love also fouled less at only 1.1% compared to Noel's 8.1%. Love also had a slightly higher percentage of turnovers generated at 4.5% to Noel's 4.1

Kevin Love vs Nerlens Noel on post ups
Love .75 points per possession allowed on 179 possessions Love in the top 73 percentile
Noel .92 points per possession allowed on 170 possessions Noel in the bottom 37 percentile
Noel generated more turnovers here 12% to Love's 10%. Love fouled less at 7% compared to Noel's 17%

Kevin Love vs Nerlens Noel as the defender on an isolation
Love .63 points per possession allowed on 73 possessions
Noel . 92 points per possession allowed on 83 possessions

Alright I'm done looking at this stuff. Don't get too bent out of shape though. Love's numbers were better than Anthony Davis as well. No I am not mistakenly looking at offensive numbers. I only started looking because I was surprised how awful Noel's pick and roll numbers were. Since I knew already that Love is very effective at it. Why he is underrated when people talk about his defense. He has easier assignments on the isos normally.

http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/isolation/?dir=-1&Season=2014-15&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&OD=defensive&sort=PPP
http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/roll-man/?dir=-1&Season=2014-15&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&OD=defensive&sort=PPP
http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/post-up/?dir=-1&Season=2014-15&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&OD=defensive&sort=PPP
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Post#1064 » by 76ciology » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:08 pm

http://www.si.com/nba/top-100-nba-players-2016

Nerlens Noel made it to top 100. :)
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#1065 » by MRxBLACK » Thu Sep 3, 2015 12:58 pm

ESPN Sucks
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,372

Post#1066 » by Eyeamok » Thu Sep 3, 2015 1:25 pm

MRxBLACK wrote:http://www.vantagesports.com/story/VUfMsyYAAOcGlQ5A/rookie-wrap-up-nerlens-noel

From the article

"Despite his flaws, Noel is a rare talent that will only improve with time. His size and athleticism fit perfectly within the 76ers’ defensive philosophy. The only real question is whether a tanking Philly team can improve enough to convince him to re-sign when the time comes."

First he is a rookie coming off a season of injury. This should always be emphasized. Secondly there probably is no other team in the NBA that would have allowed Noel to get so much playing time so his game could improve at such a rapid rate. Thirdly as many have pointed out before, it is hard for rookies to leave their drafting team after their first contract is up, if the drafting team wants them.

Noel if he keeps on working on his game has a bright future in this league.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#1067 » by Ericb5 » Thu Sep 3, 2015 2:46 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
MRxBLACK wrote:http://www.vantagesports.com/story/VUfMsyYAAOcGlQ5A/rookie-wrap-up-nerlens-noel

From the article

"Despite his flaws, Noel is a rare talent that will only improve with time. His size and athleticism fit perfectly within the 76ers’ defensive philosophy. The only real question is whether a tanking Philly team can improve enough to convince him to re-sign when the time comes."

First he is a rookie coming off a season of injury. This should always be emphasized. Secondly there probably is no other team in the NBA that would have allowed Noel to get so much playing time so his game could improve at such a rapid rate. Thirdly as many have pointed out before, it is hard for rookies to leave their drafting team after their first contract is up, if the drafting team wants them.

We are still a few years away from worrying about resigning him.

There is much to learn about him in the next few years.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Post#1068 » by 76ciology » Thu Sep 3, 2015 3:00 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

From the article

Not being a homer, but I don't think Noel is that stupid not to see the team's plan that by the time his contract expires, we have crazy enough of cap space with loads of talent that can help him win. And it's not like Philly is a small market team.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#1069 » by Ericb5 » Thu Sep 3, 2015 11:37 pm

76ciology wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
From the article

Not being a homer, but I don't think Noel is that stupid not to see the team's plan that by the time his contract expires, we have crazy enough of cap space with loads of talent that can help him win. And it's not like Philly is a small market team.

I agree. All the talk that people have about players not wanting to play here is purely temporary, if it is legit at all. Two years from now we have a very good shot at being one of the most desirable organizations to play for. As we always used to say, and it is still true, if Embiid is healthy we are golden.

Noel is a prime time prospect, but he is still a prospect. His skills and his body have a lot of potential growth left. Noel's rookie year in totality is probably about what I expected, although he was worse than I expected to start and then finished as a better player than I thought he would get to in the end.

Next year will be very telling. Does he plateau, or does he build off of it? Big questions.

The kid impressed the hell out of me though over the course of the season last year. Players simply don't come into the league that raw and improve so rapidly in a single season. He fought his way through the season and steadily got better, with no sign of the rookie wall.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

Return to Philadelphia 76ers