ImageImageImage

Around the League 2014-2015

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Lapinski
Lead Assistant
And1: 94

Re: Around the League 2014-2015 

Post#221 » by Lapinski » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:33 am

McDermott could give this team a 20 ppg scorer right off the bat. If MCW could give you 16+ then no way McDermott doesn't give you 20+.

He'll be splitting minutes with Dunleavy in Chicago but in Philly McDermott would be a shoe in for ROY.
76ersfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 205

Post#222 » by 76ersfan » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:35 am

CoreyGallagher wrote:
76ersfan wrote:Why would you rather have McDermott over Saric?? Just asking.

I'm impatient, really the only reason lol, also having a shooter on the team would be a welcome change. I was also mistaken, I thought he was taken later than 12th, not 11th, so my last thought wouldn't have worked anyways.

I want instant results as well but I just keep telling myself to wait. Yes a shooter would be nice and McDermott certainly would fill that role.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Long Live Sam Hinkie :D
76ersfan
Pro Prospect

Post#223 » by 76ersfan » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:54 pm

Lapinski wrote:McDermott could give this team a 20 ppg scorer right off the bat. If MCW could give you 16+ then no way McDermott doesn't give you 20+.

He'll be splitting minutes with Dunleavy in Chicago but in Philly McDermott would be a shoe in for ROY.

IMO I don't see McDermott being a versatile enough scorer to score 20 points this year. And also I don't see him passing Wiggins and Parker to win rookie of the year even if he was on the 76ers. Why do you think he would win ROY??

WorldBeFree
Starter
And1: 406

Post#224 » by WorldBeFree » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:14 pm

Players like mcdermott never translate good to the nba, he will not be more then a role player like reddick

Sent from my D2303 using RealGM Forums mobile app
ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Post#225 » by ckchen » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:31 pm

Lapinski wrote:McDermott could give this team a 20 ppg scorer right off the bat. If MCW could give you 16+ then no way McDermott doesn't give you 20+.

This is the type of McDermott worship that we saw pre-draft that makes no sense. On a team with no shooters, McDermott would get doubled and pressured constantly on this team. He'd probably never be open to take the kind of perimeter shots that he's built his career on at this point. He's not that fast or athletic and a mediocre to subpar defender, which makes him a questionable transition player. He's actually smallish for his position, which will make it difficult for him to operate in the post. People look at college stats/shooting and fall in love without thinking about how it translates to the NBA where everyone is bigger and faster than he is, or how he would fit onto a team that currently doesn't have either a dominant post presence or other shooters to keep him open. He's not purely a spot shooter, but he will likely have a far more difficult time creating shots for himself in the NBA.

I know it's a popular thing to compare McDermott to Wally Szczerbiak (because he's white, plays the same position, etc) - but I think it's popular for a reason - because it seems like a valid comparison. Wally had a solid, if unspectacular NBA career, that I would imagine is far more likely for McDermott than all of the McDermott worshippers seem to think. These are the same people that thought that Jimmer would succeed in the NBA - overlooking size and athletic concerns and just focusing on college stats and shooting. I will be happy to take this back if McDermott ends up being some kind of scoring madman, but I think it's far more likely that he will end up exactly where people think he will end up - as a solid, but likely unspectacular player - that's maybe a 2nd player/3rd scorer on a team.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,480

Post#226 » by GoSixersBro » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:47 pm

Anyone else like Dallas this year to be a bit of a sleeper team? They play in a tough division and Dirk is another year older, but I like the moves they made this offseason. Carlisle and the Mavs took the defending champs to 7 games in the first round last Spring and Dirk is coming off a pretty good season despite missing nearly 30 games the year prior. Chandler Parsons and Tyson Chandler are upgrades from Vince Carter and Samuel Dalembert. They also brought in Jameer Nelson for some point guard depth. Monta Ellis has surely transformed his game a bit. Obviously it's a crap shoot out West with so many good teams (Spurs, Thunder, Grizzlies, Rockets, Blazers, Warriors, Clippers, etc.) but I think this team is capable of putting together a run come April.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
WorldBeFree
Starter
And1: 406

Re: AW: Around the League 2014-2015 

Post#227 » by WorldBeFree » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:56 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:Anyone else like Dallas this year to be a bit of a sleeper team? They play in a tough division and Dirk is another year older, but I like the moves they made this offseason. Carlisle and the Mavs took the defending champs to 7 games in the first round last Spring and Dirk is coming off a pretty good season despite missing nearly 30 games the year prior. Chandler Parsons and Tyson Chandler are upgrades from Vince Carter and Samuel Dalembert. They also brought in Jameer Nelson for some point guard depth. Monta Ellis has surely transformed his game a bit. Obviously it's a crap shoot out West with so many good teams (Spurs, Thunder, Grizzlies, Rockets, Blazers, Warriors, Clippers, etc.) but I think this team is capable of putting together a run come April.

Maybe the Suns? I dont think they can make deep a run, but i can see them somehow getting in the playoffs and with luck they even get a good match up. In the east maybe Detroit, they got so much talent at every position, it all depends on SVG and how he develops the team (most important can he change BJ ' s playing style)

GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,480

Re: AW: Around the League 2014-2015 

Post#228 » by GoSixersBro » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:59 pm

WorldBeFree wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:Anyone else like Dallas this year to be a bit of a sleeper team? They play in a tough division and Dirk is another year older, but I like the moves they made this offseason. Carlisle and the Mavs took the defending champs to 7 games in the first round last Spring and Dirk is coming off a pretty good season despite missing nearly 30 games the year prior. Chandler Parsons and Tyson Chandler are upgrades from Vince Carter and Samuel Dalembert. They also brought in Jameer Nelson for some point guard depth. Monta Ellis has surely transformed his game a bit. Obviously it's a crap shoot out West with so many good teams (Spurs, Thunder, Grizzlies, Rockets, Blazers, Warriors, Clippers, etc.) but I think this team is capable of putting together a run come April.

Maybe the Suns? I dont think they can make deep a run, but i can see them somehow getting in the playoffs and with luck they even get a good match up. In the east maybe Detroit, they got so much talent at every position, it all depends on SVG and how he develops the team (most important can he change BJ ' s playing style)

Phoenix and Detroit are possible teams to sneak in as 8 seeds. I think they would be both first round exits, however. Too much inexperience on their rosters, but SVG is a proven coach and I think Hornacek will have a good squad for years to come. I think Drummond takes another big step in 2015 and it will be interesting to see how the Suns backcourt trio of Bledsoe, Dragic, and Thomas works out.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#229 » by Ericb5 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:55 am

WorldBeFree wrote:Players like mcdermott never translate good to the nba, he will not be more then a role player like reddick

In general, I tend to agree with you, but I get the feeling that McDermott may be different. Wally scerbiak(sp?) is a pretty good comparison and he had a pretty good career.

Now some people define role players differently i suppose, but I see McDermott as a guy that could play 30+ minutes a night on a good team eventually. I doubt that he ever averages 20, but 15-18 pts wouldn't be a stretch. He can score in more ways than just jump shots.

Lapinski
Lead Assistant

Post#230 » by Lapinski » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:32 pm

Same arguments made against McBuckets could have been made for Chris Mullin. Slow white guy who would have trouble getting his shot off. 20,000 points later....
ckchen
Veteran

Post#231 » by ckchen » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:37 pm

Lapinski wrote:Same arguments made against McBuckets could have been made for Chris Mullin. Slow white guy who would have trouble getting his shot off. 20,000 points later....

Except that Mullin played with Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, and later Chris Webber in the primes of their careers, in a guard oriented, all offense (no defense) Don Nelson system. On this team, he wouldn't even have the benefit of a prime scorer like KG that Wally had.

Here's a great excerpt from an article today about Sixers and 3 pt. shooting that I think is very relevant

A problem with the Sixers' three-point attack is that they don't have a reliable post presence to draw double teams that would lead to kick-outs to the three-point arc.

"I know that we don't really have a low post," Brown said. "I know we're not really a three-point shooting team. I still think we've got to scratch and claw and it's really, really difficult. But we can find ways to put points on the board in the open court - conditioning, defense, athletes and an attack mentality at the rim. That's all we have."

This, and the lack of other offensive options to take the load off, is exactly why McDermott would not be an "instant 20 pt scorer" on this team.

I'm not saying McDermott might not pan out as a NBA player, but to imply that he would be a massive success if only we had drafted him doesn't take any of this into consideration. Double-teamed on offense, potential liability on defense would likely have made him less successful on this team than you think.
Lapinski
Lead Assistant

Post#232 » by Lapinski » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:44 pm

Won't the Sixers have a post presence one Embiid heals?

Edit-If MCW could score 16 without a jump shot then I don't see the challenge for McDermott to score 20.
ckchen
Veteran

Post#233 » by ckchen » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:54 pm

Lapinski wrote:Won't the Sixers have a post presence one Embiid heals?

Edit-If MCW could score 16 without a jump shot then I don't see the challenge for McDermott to score 20.

Right, that's next year, and frankly, Embiid's offense is still developing. Either way, until then, they have no post presence. MCW scoring 16 a game doesn't mean much when you realize that he did it on basically sub-40% shooting (or less) - which is pretty awful - and that was with nominally other offensive options in hand (Hawes, Turner, Young) You could actually see how much less effective he was scoring after they were traded (take a look at his March games). McDermott on this team (this year) would fare no better. If he could score 20 ppg, it would be a terribly inefficient 20 ppg, which no one wants to see. It helps in MCW's case that he has passing, quickness and defensive skills in his favor as well, something that people see as a liability for McDermott.

Frankly, I don't see why people won't let this McDermott thing go. Is it a Great White Hope thing? You would think that after the Redicks and Jimmers that this would die out, but apparently not. No one in Philly media will let it go either. Honestly, we'll never really know until 2 or 3 yrs down the road.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#234 » by Sixerscan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:48 pm

ckchen wrote:
Lapinski wrote:Won't the Sixers have a post presence one Embiid heals?

Right, that's next year, and frankly, Embiid's offense is still developing. Either way, until then, they have no post presence. MCW scoring 16 a game doesn't mean much when you realize that he did it on basically sub-40% shooting (or less) - which is pretty awful - and that was with nominally other offensive options in hand (Hawes, Turner, Young) You could actually see how much less effective he was scoring after they were traded (take a look at his March games). McDermott on this team (this year) would fare no better. If he could score 20 ppg, it would be a terribly inefficient 20 ppg, which no one wants to see. It helps in MCW's case that he has passing, quickness and defensive skills in his favor as well, something that people see as a liability for McDermott.

Frankly, I don't see why people won't let this McDermott thing go. Is it a Great White Hope thing? You would think that after the Redicks and Jimmers that this would die out, but apparently not. No one in Philly media will let it go either. Honestly, we'll never really know until 2 or 3 yrs down the road.

Why only look at his March games and ignore his April games?

This "MCW was worse post deadline" meme isn't really true if you actually look at it.
ckchen
Veteran

Post#235 » by ckchen » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:57 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Why only look at his March games and ignore his April games?

This "MCW was worse post deadline" meme isn't really true if you actually look at it.

I figured that appreciably there were probably only a handful of games in April, maybe not. Also, I had also think that during the last month, particularly the last week or two, teams that had locked playoff spots perhaps didn't run out their true rosters or put effort into games if they had locked up spots. Maybe that's a nonfactor. I don't really think that changes my points.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#236 » by Sixerscan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:07 pm

That didn't really happen outside of the Heat in game 82. (where he shot 3-10). Check out his game log if you don't believe me. http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_ ... r-williams

He shot a higher percentage after the trade deadline. Which includes the month of March.

I know that wasn't really the point of your post, but it generally seems to be a repeated trope that the Sixers moves cause MCW to take a step back and it just isn't particularly true.
76ersfan
Pro Prospect

Post#237 » by 76ersfan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:33 pm

Vucevic got 4/54. What do you guys think about the deal??

Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,859

Post#238 » by Phila Tough » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:15 am

76ersfan wrote:Vucevic got 4/54. What do you guys think about the deal??

Kind of glad it's not us giving it to him. A lot for an unproven player putting up good stats on a bad team. Centers tend to fall back as soon as they get paid too. Happy for Vucci though.
76ersfan
Pro Prospect

Post#239 » by 76ersfan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:04 am

Lurk Nowitzki wrote:
76ersfan wrote:Vucevic got 4/54. What do you guys think about the deal??

Kind of glad it's not us giving it to him. A lot for an unproven player putting up good stats on a bad team. Centers tend to fall back as soon as they get paid too. Happy for Vucci though.

Agree on the fact about the centers getting good numbers in bad teams. He is younger and the new TV deal will help him grow into or make the contract look somewhat cheap. For now though I think it is a bit of an overpay.

ckchen
Veteran

Post#240 » by ckchen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:17 am

Sixerscan wrote:That didn't really happen outside of the Heat in game 82. (where he shot 3-10). Check out his game log if you don't believe me. http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_ ... r-williams

He shot a higher percentage after the trade deadline. Which includes the month of March.

I know that wasn't really the point of your post, but it generally seems to be a repeated trope that the Sixers moves cause MCW to take a step back and it just isn't particularly true.

Well, if you look at the monthly splits, you can see his percentages declining every month until April. If anything it almost seems like 5 outrageous shooting games in April drove his Post-All Star percentages slightly up. However, if you consider that post all-star are only 28 games vs. pre-all star's 42 games, those games have a much larger effect on the percentages. Take from it what you will. He had one or two months of okay to good shooting but those were short game months (December & April).

I'm personally still bullish on MCW - I'm sure his shoulder issues didn't help his shooting. But neither did limited offensive options on the rest of the team.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers