ImageImageImage

ALL THIS CAP SPACE

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Hardcore6erFan
Sixth Man
And1: 680

Re: ALL THIS CAP SPACE 

Post#301 » by Hardcore6erFan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:06 pm

Sign me up for Thad for Dion Waiters. Would even take on Barea and Shved's contract from Wolves.
EricYellowSnow
Freshman
And1: 16

Post#302 » by EricYellowSnow » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:19 pm

Tony Franciosa wrote:A core of MCW-Waiters-Noel-Embiid to start 2015 could be straight nasty.

And Durant
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#303 » by Agnostifarian » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:20 pm

Quick Aside on the CLE: I hate that team!!! I don't even begrudge them for getting the #1 pick over and over. I just hate their players, especially the little gunner, no D, Kyrie!!! UUGH!

CLE is super lucky that Lebron is from Ohio and that he returned. BUT, they seem intent upon assembling a Big 3 of Kyrie, LBJ and Love at the expense of Wiggins, Bennett and possibly multiple 1st round picks. Where's the rim protection and defense in general?

If it were me, I'd trade Kyrie and keep Wiggins, Bennett, Waiters, Thompson and LBJ. I'd get some rim protection somewhere and I'd keep future draft picks to replenish the bench. LBJ and CLE would have a chance at more championships if they choose this path, IMO.

Meanwhile, as a Sixer fan, I am drooling over the future match ups between our team and the Kyrie/Lebron/Love threesome. In a couple year's time, we'll be crushing that sorry team!

Uh oh, mania is setting in...
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,803

Post#304 » by Negrodamus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:32 pm

If we are looking like a very nice team by seasons end (if we add Waiter), I think Hinkie will try to make a push to bring Saric over immediately. Next year would be such a fun team to watch:

PG- MCW
SG- Waiters
SF- Saric
PF- Noel
C- Embiid

Pretty massive lineup. Also decently unselfish across the board.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#305 » by sixers hoops » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:45 pm

Negrodamus wrote:If we are looking like a very nice team by seasons end (if we add Waiter), I think Hinkie will try to make a push to bring Saric over immediately. Next year would be such a fun team to watch:

PG- MCW
SG- Waiters
SF- Saric
PF- Noel
C- Embiid

Hinkie said don't expect Saric before two years because he had read Saric's contact and it is not happening.
ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Post#306 » by ckchen » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:41 pm

marcush wrote:
MasterHinkie wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
But the question is whether that cap number also counts toward the salary floor or not? Or is the salary floor based upon how much actual cash is paid out for players?

Salary floor is based on actual cash paid out.

This is how I understood this also. Salary floor does not equal salary cap. Therefore in a Lin or Asik type scenario 8 mill would count against the cap whereas the 15 would count against the floor. Amnesties are another payment that counts against the floor.

We took on approx. 4 mill in annual salary with the Indiana trade but that probably would not have been enough to push us over the floor. I don't know their pay periods so its hard to prorate the actual salary paid. I am thinking that the Maynor buy out may have actually been what got us over the floor and if that was the case his salary will count against the cap in 2015 but not against the floor. Maybe.

I already explained this in a previous post (7/22, 5:38pm), but the salary floor and the salary cap are calculated the exact same way. They aren't different things. Team salary is calculated based on player annual salaries on the last day of the regular season. If you are under the floor amount, you pay the difference (meaning the minimum salary floor number ($56.75M or whatever minus the total team salary) gets split among the players). If you're over the cap amount you pay the luxury tax.

We did reach the floor last year, because Granger's entire annual salary was calculated into the team salary calculations. Buy-outs/amnesties - those amounts are meaningless - the player's original salary amount counts in the team salary calculation.

Jeremy Lin's contract was a Poison Pill contract - meaning that even though the team had to pay him $15M in salary for this year, only $9M counted towards the salary cap. That means that only $9M also would have counted to the salary floor. Again, same thing. Maybe it's easier to say that only $9M would count to the total team salary calculation.
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#307 » by James40 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:15 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:If we are looking like a very nice team by seasons end (if we add Waiter), I think Hinkie will try to make a push to bring Saric over immediately. Next year would be such a fun team to watch:

PG- MCW
SG- Waiters
SF- Saric
PF- Noel
C- Embiid

Hinkie said don't expect Saric before two years because he had read Saric's contact and it is not happening.

The players themselves usually have to buy out of the contract because NBA teams aren't allowed to, so Dario might have to come up with 2-3 million of his own money just to leave Turkey early.

The other thing you have to think about is the CBA and if it comes up in 2017, he may decide to stay in Europe longer, if it looks like the players will go on strike.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#308 » by The Sixer Fixer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:33 pm

James40 wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

PG- MCW
SG- Waiters
SF- Saric
PF- Noel
C- Embiid

The players themselves usually have to buy out of the contract because NBA teams aren't allowed to, so Dario might have to come up with 2-3 million of his own money just to leave Turkey early.

The other thing you have to think about is the CBA and if it comes up in 2017, he may decide to stay in Europe longer, if it looks like the players will go on strike.

I fully expect Saric to wait 3 years before he comes over.

If he comes in 2 years, his contract is bound by the rookie scale. This means his 1st year would start at less than 2 mil. If he waits the extra year, like Mirotic did, he can get WAY more since he's no longer bound to rookie scale contracts. I think Mirotic is getting well over 5 million his rookie year. Of course, I'm not sure what Saric is getting paid in his contract overseas...if it's not that much, I guess it could make him less inclined to wait 3 years.
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#309 » by Agnostifarian » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:37 pm

James40 wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

PG- MCW
SG- Waiters
SF- Saric
PF- Noel
C- Embiid

Didn't Mirotic stay in Europe three years after being drafted so he could negotiate a bigger contract than he would have gotten as the 23rd pick? He just signed 3 yrs, $18 MM.
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#310 » by Ericb5 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:30 am

I'd take Waiters on this team in a heartbeat. I Hinkie that he is a really talented player at a need position on his rookie deal.

Seems a bit too good to be true though if all we would give up is Thad and some cap space.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#311 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:33 am

Ericb5 wrote:I'd take Waiters on this team in a heartbeat. I Hinkie that he is a really talented player at a need position on his rookie deal.

Seems a bit too good to be true though if all we would give up is Thad and some cap space.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

With the Bulls coming in with a legitimate proposal for Love, I think the Cavs need to sweat a little bit. If they need us to make the deal work, then we are in a position of power.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#312 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:36 am

sixers hoops wrote:

PG- MCW
SG- Waiters
SF- Saric
PF- Noel
C- Embiid

http://www.sportando.com/en/usa/nba/124 ... t-two.html

This is what I remembered around the draft time and thinking that he might want to come sooner rather than later. If Hinkie has come out since then and said something about Saric guaranteed to be over there for 2 years, then I missed it. This link is just the first one I found, I remember Saric saying it in an interview.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#313 » by sixers hoops » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:07 am

Negrodamus wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

PG- MCW
SG- Waiters
SF- Saric
PF- Noel
C- Embiid

This is what I remembered around the draft time and thinking that he might want to come sooner rather than later. If Hinkie has come out since then and said something about Saric guaranteed to be over there for 2 years, then I missed it. This link is just the first one I found, I remember Saric saying it in an interview.

Hinkie said at the press conference the day after the draft, when asked about the one year rumor, that it isn't very realistic and it should be at least two years.

He seemed pretty confident about the minimum two year wait.
Moses_Doc_83
Sophomore
And1: 21

Post#314 » by Moses_Doc_83 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:02 am

PG- MCW
SG- Waiters
SF- Saric
PF- Noel
C- Embiid

There's no second year out in his Turkish contract. Saric was emphatic at the intro presser that he would be in the NBA in two years. So I wouldn't worry about year 3, he obviously has an acceptable out. Although I suppose his agent could tell him to wait the extra year and then sign a MLE deal in 2017. Either way, he's a big asset to have in play, look at the Bulls with Mirotic. Saric will most likely be considered the best Euro after next year.
MCtripDub
Pro Prospect
And1: 254
Location: Manila, Philippines: Home of Team Gilas Pilipinas #Puso

Post#315 » by MCtripDub » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:41 am

Moses_Doc_83 wrote:

PG- MCW
SG- Waiters
SF- Saric
PF- Noel
C- Embiid

There's no second year out in his Turkish contract. Saric was emphatic at the intro presser that he would be in the NBA in two years. So I wouldn't worry about year 3, he obviously has an acceptable out. Although I suppose his agent could tell him to wait the extra year and then sign a MLE deal in 2017. Either way, he's a big asset to have in play, look at the Bulls with Mirotic. Saric will most likely be considered the best Euro after next year.

This. Honestly I don't mind waiting for players especially those with amazing upside. Looking at the spurs' success, it all started with waiting for David Robinson, then also waiting for manu Ginobili. Both most def hall of famers in my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
Help a fellow Sixer fan out! Please drop by http://nbadraftaddict.tumblr.com/ :D

Thanks! #TogetherWeBuild

AAKing23
Junior
And1: 171

Post#316 » by AAKing23 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:23 am

PG- MCW
SG- Waiters
SF- Saric
PF- Noel
C- Embiid

I don't see Saric as a starting 3, Him guarding Melo, LeBron, George or Durant :noway:
Cokeleaf
Senior
And1: 131

Post#317 » by Cokeleaf » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:45 am

AAKing23 wrote:

PG- MCW
SG- Waiters
SF- Saric
PF- Noel
C- Embiid

I don't see Saric as a starting 3, Him guarding Melo, LeBron, George or Durant :noway:

It's a trick. We make them think that they have an advantage at that position. Once they get past Saric, Nerlens will swat his shot back out
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#318 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:13 am

sixers hoops wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

Hinkie said at the press conference the day after the draft, when asked about the one year rumor, that it isn't very realistic and it should be at least two years.

He seemed pretty confident about the minimum two year wait.

I stand corrected then. I guess we won't see that lineup for 2 years.
Mr Sixer
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#319 » by Mr Sixer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:43 pm

AAKing23 wrote:

PG- MCW
SG- Waiters
SF- Saric
PF- Noel
C- Embiid

That's what McDefense is for :wink:
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#320 » by marcush » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:58 am

ckchen wrote:
marcush wrote:
MasterHinkie wrote:
Salary floor is based on actual cash paid out.

This is how I understood this also. Salary floor does not equal salary cap. Therefore in a Lin or Asik type scenario 8 mill would count against the cap whereas the 15 would count against the floor. Amnesties are another payment that counts against the floor.

We took on approx. 4 mill in annual salary with the Indiana trade but that probably would not have been enough to push us over the floor. I don't know their pay periods so its hard to prorate the actual salary paid. I am thinking that the Maynor buy out may have actually been what got us over the floor and if that was the case his salary will count against the cap in 2015 but not against the floor. Maybe.

I already explained this in a previous post (7/22, 5:38pm), but the salary floor and the salary cap are calculated the exact same way. They aren't different things. Team salary is calculated based on player annual salaries on the last day of the regular season. If you are under the floor amount, you pay the difference (meaning the minimum salary floor number ($56.75M or whatever minus the total team salary) gets split among the players). If you're over the cap amount you pay the luxury tax.

We did reach the floor last year, because Granger's entire annual salary was calculated into the team salary calculations. Buy-outs/amnesties - those amounts are meaningless - the player's original salary amount counts in the team salary calculation.

Jeremy Lin's contract was a Poison Pill contract - meaning that even though the team had to pay him $15M in salary for this year, only $9M counted towards the salary cap. That means that only $9M also would have counted to the salary floor. Again, same thing. Maybe it's easier to say that only $9M would count to the total team salary calculation.

Will have to agree to disagree here. I have dug the following up from Shamsports;
http://www.shamsports.com/2014/02/this-post-is-no-longer-relevant.html

Return to Philadelphia 76ers