ImageImageImage

How good is Thad? Should we keep him? Trade him? And when?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Re: How good is Thad? Should we keep him? Trade him? And whe 

Post#121 » by hookshot199 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:49 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:You don't have to be stupid like our Wharton School genius.

Let me correct. I management doesn't have to be stupid…

Can you please stop removing the words from your posts so people can follow what you are responding to? It's very confusing. Thad is a power forward, period.

I think he can probably play the three and probably be efficient at it. I suppose we'll find out in the next few months if he doesn't get moved to Minnesota.
Mr Sixer
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#122 » by Mr Sixer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:53 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
Let me correct. I management doesn't have to be stupid…

Can you please stop removing the words from your posts so people can follow what you are responding to? It's very confusing. Thad is a power forward, period.

I think he can probably play the three and probably be efficient at it. I suppose we'll find out in the next few months if he doesn't get moved to Minnesota.

No, we won't find out because he's not going to play the 3, yet you guys are still going to think that he can still play it anyways
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,056

Post#123 » by sixers hoops » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:56 pm

Mr Sixer wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
MountainDrew wrote:
Perkins no, but Chalmers and Sefolosha can start because they have distinct nba skills and they can guard their position. Chalmers can hit 3pointers and defend adequatly, Sefolosha is a good defender and can hit the 3 adequatly.

And personally, I would pay them $9 million to start. I invest in my 3 or 4 stars so I can have a lesser starter.

Could Thad start for a championship team next to a Dwight Howard? Possibly. However, I acquire the stars first and the back end starter and rotation players later. Paying Thad $9 mill because you can find a weak starter playing next to an MVP is not smart cap management.

There's no way in hell Chalmers deserves more money than Thad Young

Typo. I meant wouldn't pay them $9 mill.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#124 » by sixers hoops » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:06 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
MountainDrew wrote:

It's Monopoly money. We're not going to use the cap space for the next two years. Our owner's a billionaire. I take your word when you say you know a lot about Thad. But do you know if he can play the three? He's difficult to match up against. Why wouldn't you pay a guy $10 mil when money's not a real issue for the next two years and perhaps three. Front load the contract. You don't have to be stupid like our Wharton School genius.

I don't care about Harris' money. Only cap space.

The collective bargaining agreement generally prevents you from heavily front-loading or back-loading contracts by limiting annual raises and decreases to a percentage. I think Hinkie is using the correct strategy by signing players he identifies as the core first, then fill out the remainder of the roster afterwards. I don't identify Thad as a core member, top 4 or so, on a contender.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,591

Post#125 » by sixerswillrule » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:23 pm

MountainDrew wrote:
AAKing23 wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
On an all-time bad team. He is not a starter on a contender.

But Mario Chalmers, Kendrick Perkins and Thabo Seflosha are??

Perkins no, but Chalmers and Sefolosha can start because they have distinct nba skills and they can guard their position. Chalmers can hit 3pointers and defend adequatly, Sefolosha is a good defender and can hit the 3 adequatly.

They're 25-30 mpg players. Thad, on a playoff team, is a 25-30 mpg player. Starting, not starting, what's the difference? I'll never get the fascination that some people have with that distinction.

Also, Sefolosha shot 32% from three last season and he was a complete offensive liability for the Thunder in the playoffs.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,591

Post#126 » by sixerswillrule » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:26 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:Thad is a power forward, period.

I wouldn't say Thad is a PF, period, but it's pretty close to period. Most likely it's not gonna work.

As for Marion, putting the best PF shooter of all-time next to Young would definitely help.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#127 » by sixers hoops » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:34 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
MountainDrew wrote:
AAKing23 wrote:

But Mario Chalmers, Kendrick Perkins and Thabo Seflosha are??

They're 25-30 mpg players. Thad, on a playoff team, is a 25-30 mpg player. Starting, not starting, what's the difference? I'll never get the fascination that some people have with that distinction.

Also, Sefolosha shot 32% from three last season and he was a complete offensive liability for the Thunder in the playoffs last season.

I thinking starter/bench guy were categories we used to use to rank players; however, your best 5 often don't start these days.

With Thad, I don't care if he is your worst starter or best bench player playing 25 minutes. I still don't believe you invest 9 mill for the next 4 years in him until you have your core 3 or 4 players locked in first.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers