ImageImageImage

Sixers want to delay lottery reform?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

steveb21
Pro Prospect
And1: 123

Re: Sixers want to delay lottery reform? 

Post#21 » by steveb21 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:31 pm

So basically Silver is making a two-tank race into a six-tank race. Every team that thinks it won't make the playoffs will bottom out and try to get into those six slots because they all have an equal shot at the #1 pick.

Isn't this why the lottery was weighted in the first place?
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#22 » by The Sixer Fixer » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:02 pm

Changing to the proposed system really does nothing to prevent tanking IMO. Honestly, I think it makes it worse. The worst 3-4 teams will still tank as they would have under the old system to make sure they get the best odds. The problem is, the teams now in the 5-8 range will definitely consider tanking to try and slide into that 4th spot and give themselves an equal chance as the worst team at getting the #1 pick. Basically, the fringe playoff and non-playoff teams in the 5-16 range will ALL give more consideration to tanking as their draft odds greatly improve over the current system.
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#23 » by snoopdogg88 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:08 pm

the NBA doesn't care about doing this the right way

it's all about appeasing the masses and the media who whine about tanking nonstop.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#24 » by Ericb5 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:24 pm

I bet that this is just a strategic leak from one of the teams that is upset about what the Sixers are doing to embarrass them. There would have to be many teams that would be against this idea.

Whether or not you are for the proposed change, there is no doubting the fact that it is unfair to punish the teams that are currently bad by implementing it next year. We haven't broken any rules.
Mr Sixer
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#25 » by Mr Sixer » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:03 pm

This would be totally objectively complete and utter bull. You can't implement a system like this with almost no forewarning, and as other people have said, if anything this will promote tanking for the middle of the pack teams. We will have way more teams not trying to be competitive rather than a few teams trying to be horrible.
Moses_Doc_83
Sophomore
And1: 21

Post#26 » by Moses_Doc_83 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:10 pm

I consider this proposed rule change to be a direct attack on the Sixers. Why would other teams have an issue with tanking? How many other teams have tanked over the past 30 years? How many times did Stern hand over the first pick on a silver platter? And how many times has Cleveland had the 1st pick now? Why do we need to change the rules right now? It should be a CBA issue. I realize casual fans have a problem with tanking because of "the integrity of the game" (which is complete bs), but now with this new system you are basically trying to ensure the same teams remain good forever barring complete luck.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#27 » by Foshan » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:35 pm

I don't like this at all, mostly because of the timing. The NBA is a multi-billion dollar business, you can't make a change this drastic without more heads up. If this were finalized before free agency had started, then it makes sense as we could have spent some money on the guys who were available. This seems vindictive as is.

Also, i think this is a crummy solution. Like someone else mentioned, if you are the 6-11 team going into the final stretch, tanking to 5 (or whatever the lotto spot is) becomes waaaay more appealing than thinking you have to make it into the bottom 3.

This will really be disappointing if it goes through.
Hardcore6erFan
Sixth Man
And1: 680

Post#28 » by Hardcore6erFan » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:35 pm

snoopdogg88 wrote:the NBA doesn't care about doing this the right way

it's all about appeasing the masses and the media who whine about tanking nonstop.

Yup
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#29 » by hookshot199 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:53 pm

42uptop wrote:Though the NBA likely will not frame it this way, these considered changes could be seen as an anti-tanking measure, as teams with the worst records may not earn significantly higher lottery odds.
[/quote]

It's just going to transfer the 'tank' upmarket. I'm the Knicks and can't do better than 8th and out in four/first round. Two games at Madison Square Garden. No big deal. So trade a player, put someone on the injured reserve, whatever so that I move from 15th to 14th and get an equal shot a the first pick.

If I were devising the rules, I would leave it basically the same except that you can only win two top three picks consecutively, then the highest you can get the next year is fourth.
BoyUgo
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#30 » by BoyUgo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:40 pm

Why are you mentioning the Cavs? Do you know why we got the number 1 pick? Because we weren't trying to tank and 3 games from the playoffs. We are the anti-sixers and that's why you guys hate us. You guys try so hard to tank and never get that number 1 you desire, but everyone is getting sick of it.. O yeah and that year Kyrie went number 1 , Cleveland also had less than a 2 percent chance to win the lottery.... Good things happen when you don't purposely try and get around a system.... (Now you can get after me, and destroy my posts lol)

Moses_Doc_83 wrote:I consider this proposed rule change to be a direct attack on the Sixers. Why would other teams have an issue with tanking? How many other teams have tanked over the past 30 years? How many times did Stern hand over the first pick on a silver platter? And how many times has Cleveland had the 1st pick now? Why do we need to change the rules right now? It should be a CBA issue. I realize casual fans have a problem with tanking because of "the integrity of the game" (which is complete bs), but now with this new system you are basically trying to ensure the same teams remain good forever barring complete luck.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#31 » by CoreyGallagher » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:43 pm

BoyUgo wrote:Why are you mentioning the Cavs? Do you know why we got the number 1 pick? Because we weren't trying to tank and 3 games from the playoffs. We are the anti-sixers and that's why you guys hate us. You guys try so hard to tank and never get that number 1 you desire, but everyone is getting sick of it.. O yeah and that year Kyrie went number 1 , Cleveland also had less than a 2 percent chance to win the lottery.... Good things happen when you don't purposely try and get around a system.... (Now you can get after me, and destroy my posts lol)

I felt awkward reading this lol. We tanked a single season, last season, and didn't get the number 1 pick, although I'm quite content having gotten Embiid. What is everyone sick of, exactly?
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
MountainDrew
Veteran
And1: 885

Post#32 » by MountainDrew » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:46 pm

Is there a way to not have Cavs fans on this board? They never really add anything.
Trust the Process
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,859

Post#33 » by Phila Tough » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:52 pm

Its funny seeing other fans in an uproar.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#34 » by LongLiveHinkie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:52 pm

Yeah, these Cavs fans on our board haven't been the brightest of the bunch. That guy's post is folly. A lot of teams tried to win. Why didn't the Hornets, Suns, Nuggets, etc get the #1 pick? The Cavs got lucky plain and simple. The Sixers tried to win for 20 years before the last season and got the #1 pick only once in 1996. They won nothing. That didn't work for them over the years, so they scrapped that thinking.

I wouldn't worry about this report. First of all, Windhorst is a blow-hard and doesn't have good sources. Also, he's kinda creepy. Secondly, this will not take effect in 2015. Take that to the bank, I'd bet money on it.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#35 » by MRxBLACK » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:56 pm

What I want to know is why do people outside of the team and non-Sixers fans have such a problem with what the Sixers are doing. Building through the draft and saving money until the time is right is the only option the Sixers had after the Bynum disaster. If anybody has a problem with the process it should be the organization and/or fans of Philadelphia. Guess what, neither party does. The last time I checked owner Josh Harris brought in Hinkie to carry out the plan, and Hinkie convinced Brown that this team would be worth coaching in the future. The majority of fans are on board with the process too based on various fan feedback throughout the city.

Why do people outside of our team have such a problem with the plan?
ESPN Sucks
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#36 » by sixers hoops » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:32 pm

BoyUgo wrote:Why are you mentioning the Cavs? Do you know why we got the number 1 pick? Because we weren't trying to tank and 3 games from the playoffs. We are the anti-sixers and that's why you guys hate us. You guys try so hard to tank and never get that number 1 you desire, but everyone is getting sick of it.. O yeah and that year Kyrie went number 1 , Cleveland also had less than a 2 percent chance to win the lottery.... Good things happen when you don't purposely try and get around a system.... (Now you can get after me, and destroy my

I think that is a positive with the current system. A team like the sixers can tank, yet get stuck with the 3rd pick. However, a team like the Cavs can narrowly miss the playoffs and get the 1 pick. There are no guarantees.

Changing the percentages may slightly curb early season tanking, but will encourage late season tanking.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#37 » by MRxBLACK » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:33 pm

MountainDrew wrote:Is there a way to not have Cavs fans on this board? They never really add anything.

It's obvious why Cavs fans are so obsessed with the Sixers, we have two players they should have drafted. :lol:
ESPN Sucks
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#38 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:46 pm

BoyUgo wrote:Why are you mentioning the Cavs? Do you know why we got the number 1 pick? Because we weren't trying to tank and 3 games from the playoffs. We are the anti-sixers and that's why you guys hate us. You guys try so hard to tank and never get that number 1 you desire, but everyone is getting sick of it.. O yeah and that year Kyrie went number 1 , Cleveland also had less than a 2 percent chance to win the lottery.... Good things happen when you don't purposely try and get around a system.... (Now you can get after me, and destroy my posts lol)

The entire post was a joke, but that line stuck out. Never get the #1 pick that we keep trying to get? Everyone is sick of it? It's been one (1) year. We've literally only had one legitimate shot at getting the number one pick since the new plan started one year ago. Why does everyone keep implying how it's already been 3, 4, 5 years that we've been at it?
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#39 » by Dcebucks11 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:48 pm

MRxBLACK wrote:
MountainDrew wrote:Is there a way to not have Cavs fans on this board? They never really add anything.

It's obvious why Cavs fans are so obsessed with the Sixers, we have two players they should have drafted. :lol:

Id easily have Wiggins rather than Embiid and from the sounds of it before the draft Sixers fans wanted Wiggins more than Embiid too. Embiid struggled against NBA caliber defenders in College and his injuries are a major problem.

Embiid and Noel will probably end up spending more time on the bench than on the court in their career.
EricYellowSnow
Freshman
And1: 16

Post#40 » by EricYellowSnow » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:49 pm

Moses_Doc_83 wrote:I consider this proposed rule change to be a direct attack on the Sixers. Why would other teams have an issue with tanking? How many other teams have tanked over the past 30 years? How many times did Stern hand over the first pick on a silver platter? And how many times has Cleveland had the 1st pick now? Why do we need to change the rules right now? It should be a CBA issue. I realize casual fans have a problem with tanking because of "the integrity of the game" (which is complete bs), but now with this new system you are basically trying to ensure the same teams remain good forever barring complete luck.

You were rewarded #1 picks for having terrible coaching, abysmal management, and horrible seasons while actually trying to win and underachieving greatly? Don't try to justify those picks on "earning" them, it was luck for a crapshoot franchise who was fortunate enough to have LeBron come back. And it's not only the Sixers who should hate the Cavs, but the Bucks, Magic, Lakers etc. It's pathetic to see a team try their best to be competitive and fail so hard at it, only to end up getting #1 picks...

Return to Philadelphia 76ers