And1: 8,704

Re: Crowded at SG. Who starts and who is cut 

Post#41 » by the_process » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:05 am

MCW 34 - Wroten 14 - Jackson IR
Shved 24 - McRae 14 - Wroten 10 - Richardson
Thompson 24 - McDaniels 24 - Grant
Noel 28 - LRMAM 20 - Moultrie
Sims 34 - Varnado 14 - Embiid IR

I suppose it's also possible Moultrie and or Grant could take the backup PF mins, but I think they will leave Grant play the 3 (perhaps get some Sevens time to do so) and I have the distinct impression they have given up on Moultrie. But I could be wrong on both counts.
SexDrugsPnR
Bench Warmer
And1: 724

Post#42 » by SexDrugsPnR » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:12 pm

They might not start the season that way, but I think sooner or later we're going to see a starting five of MCW-Thompson-McDaniels-Noel-Sims. That should at least provide some floor spacing. Wroten and Shved sharing backup minutes at both guard positions and McRae possibly seeing some playing time at SF if they're going small.
Aussiepiston1
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Post#43 » by Aussiepiston1 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:16 pm

I think it's funny that people are questioning whether KJ can play SG or talk about whether Shved should get minutes over an aging JRich or the 3rd last player picked in this past Draft when training camp hasn't even started yet :lol:
plus the fact that it's about player development so getting it wrong is not going to matter this early in the process.
If last year showed us something it's that MCW is the point guard and if Brett Brown sticks to his statement that Noel is a Center then that's the only 2 positions that are set and the 2,3 and 4 are up for grabs and are going to be swapped and changed like a baby's diaper :lol:
I would love to see this Line up though
MCW(32)/Wroten(16)
Shved(26)/KJM(12)/Wroten(10)
KJM(20)/Thompson(20)/Grant(8)
Moultrie(26)/Noel(12)/Grant(10)
Noel(20)/Sims(28)
I think Mcrae and Roberts Jr if He makes the Team spend time in the D league and possibly Grant so you would swap in Luc Richards in there instead and Jrich IMO doesn't even play this year neither does Embiid nor Jackson. Everyone is going to laugh at me for Moultrie but I think if He stops smoking Weed and gets in shape He is the only big We have who has the ability to knock down a mid range shot ( Sims looked like he could the last few games but I'm skeptical )
but like I said anything can happen and it's only what I would like to see happen based on potential of the players that I like :lol:
MCtripDub
Pro Prospect
And1: 254
Location: Manila, Philippines: Home of Team Gilas Pilipinas #Puso

Post#44 » by MCtripDub » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:32 pm

I think if kj can tighten his handles a bit more, he can play SG for us. I see him having a Doug Christie-like role for us tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
Help a fellow Sixer fan out! Please drop by http://nbadraftaddict.tumblr.com/ :D

Thanks! #TogetherWeBuild

tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#45 » by tk76 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:59 pm

Brett Brown made the pronouncement the Noel is a center before the team drafted Embiid. I'm interesred to see if Brown sees things differently now.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#46 » by CoreyGallagher » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:02 pm

Can't imagine Moultrie starting, maybe Sims supposedly starts at PF, however plays more of a Center's role.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#47 » by tk76 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:23 pm

Either way I expect a lot of minutes from Sims this year. If he puts up good numbers then be could be a target of a poison pill type RFA offer next summer.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,592

Post#48 » by sixerswillrule » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:09 pm

MCtripDub wrote:I think if kj can tighten his handles a bit more, he can play SG for us. I see him having a Doug Christie-like role for us tbh.

Defensively? Yeah, hopefully. On offense, Doug Christie was a legit secondary ball-handler and combo guard who averaged 4 assists per game. I definitely don't see KJ becoming that. Maybe more like Courtney Lee.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#49 » by LloydFree » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:50 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
MCtripDub wrote:I think if kj can tighten his handles a bit more, he can play SG for us. I see him having a Doug Christie-like role for us tbh.

Defensively? Yeah, hopefully. On offense, Doug Christie was a legit secondary ball-handler and combo guard who averaged 4 assists per game. I definitely don't see KJ becoming that. Maybe more like Courtney Lee.

Doug Christie's handle was so more advanced than McDaniels, they really can't be compared. I'd be satisfied if McDaniels becomes a 'poor man's' Richard Jefferson.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#50 » by Ericb5 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:09 pm

It is always fun to have these discussions, but the real answer to this question right now is that it hasn't been determined yet.

The traditional skills and roles of the positions matter, but not as much as they used to matter. McDaniels may not have the handle to play long term at the 2, but that doesn't really matter as long as you have another player on the floor that can be the secondary ball handler. Maybe when Saric comes over it allows us to basically start a traditional 3 in the 2 spot.

We don't know how McRae will perform in camp. It is at least possible that he plays well and surprises people(as he did in the summer league) and earns the job.

Player development trumps team performance right now and I assume that Brett Brown will experiment with lineups.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#51 » by sixerswillrule » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:03 pm

Ericb5 wrote:The traditional skills and roles of the positions matter, but not as much as they used to matter. McDaniels may not have the handle to play long term at the 2, but that doesn't really matter as long as you have another player on the floor that can be the secondary ball handler. Maybe when Saric comes over it allows us to basically start a traditional 3 in the 2 spot.

Right, that's what I was saying earlier. I think you could even get by with two mediocre ball handlers at the wings on a team depending on who's at PF and center. Say for us, Noel becomes a Noah type high post option, and Embiid becomes a legitimate low post option. Then the wings don't really need to be especially good on the ball. As long as they're high IQ players, can make entry passes, etc.
TigerInYourTank
Senior
And1: 198

Post#52 » by TigerInYourTank » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:27 am

ckchen wrote:
51X3RF4N wrote:Is that Tim Hardaway JR and Eric Bledsoe stuff just one guy's thoughts or is there anything to it?

Just some random dream musings of a nobody on a message board. I would (and you should) ignore.

Pisssoff. Bledsoe is exactly the kind of player this team needs and can afford: http://basketball.realgm.com/article/23 ... act-Awaits

The only question, really, is one of timing. It's probably too soon to pounce.

But seriously, **** off with your condescension.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#53 » by Ericb5 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:50 am

TigerInYourTank wrote:
ckchen wrote:
51X3RF4N wrote:Is that Tim Hardaway JR and Eric Bledsoe stuff just one guy's thoughts or is there anything to it?

Just some random dream musings of a nobody on a message board. I would (and you should) ignore.

Pisssoff. Bledsoe is exactly the kind of player this team needs and can afford: http://basketball.realgm.com/article/23 ... act-Awaits

Bledsoe is a point guard and we already have a point guard. It isn't only timing that is the problem.

Even if we won 50 games last year and were poised to take the next step Bledsoe isn't the player to sign.

Klay Thompson? Yes Bledsoe no.

He isn't talented enough to play the 2 at his size. Nobody would say that he was Iverson, and Iverson is the ONLY player who has ever been able to play the 2 at his size and excel. Bledsoe only makes sense if we were trading MCW and there is no reason to do that.

Bledsoe is a good young player who is worth offering a big contract to, but not by the Sixers. He should sign with someone to be their starting point guard.

TigerInYourTank
Senior

Post#54 » by TigerInYourTank » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
TigerInYourTank wrote:
ckchen wrote:

Bledsoe is a point guard and we already have a point guard. It isn't only timing that is the problem.

Even if we won 50 games last year and were poised to take the next step Bledsoe isn't the player to sign.

He isn't talented enough to play the 2 at his size. Nobody would say that he was Iverson, and Iverson is the ONLY player who has ever been able to play the 2 at his size and excel. Bledsoe only makes sense if we were trading MCW and there is no reason to do that.

Bledsoe is a good young player who is worth offering a big contract to, but not by the Sixers. He should sign with someone to be their starting point guard.

Have you followed the Suns and what they have done quite successfully with Dragic and Bledsoe? You understand that a point guard, especially with MCW's length, should be able to defend positions other than point guard, right? Which position was Iverson defending, primarily, when he was playing?

And finally, Iverson was *not* a good shooter, but Bledsoe has shot extremely well the last 2 years.

Is there anything else I need to defend? I do not consider the opinion that Klay Thompson might be a better fit as extremely relevant for this offseason, and probably not ever, given GS's apparent valuation of him.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#55 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:40 pm

TigerInYourTank wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
TigerInYourTank wrote:

Have you followed the Suns and what they have done quite successfully with Dragic and Bledsoe? You understand that a point guard, especially with MCW's length, should be able to defend positions other than point guard, right? Which position was Iverson defending, primarily, when he was playing?

And finally, Iverson was *not* a good shooter, but Bledsoe has shot extremely well the last 2 years.

Is there anything else I need to defend? I do not consider the opinion that Klay Thompson might be a better fit as extremely relevant for this offseason, and probably not ever, given GS's apparent valuation of him.

Yeah, I'm not sure why he brought up size. Size wouldn't be an issue with a Bledsoe/MCW backcourt. If you want to argue whether or not they fit together, that's a different story. I myself would be hesitant on trusting Bledsoe's relatively small sample size of high productivity.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#56 » by Ericb5 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:30 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
TigerInYourTank wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure why he brought up size. Size wouldn't be an issue with a Bledsoe/MCW backcourt. If you want to argue whether or not they fit together, that's a different story. I myself would be hesitant on trusting Bledsoe's relatively small sample size of high productivity.

I brought up size not because Bledsoe would need to defend 2 guards, but because he would be at a physical disadvantage at his position. You are right that pairing him with MCW would enable him to defend the point, but of course that gives up our size advantage with MCW.

The point is that Bledsoe is not talented enough to warrant playing him in an Iverson roll. Iverson was a very good shooter if you were comparing him to a typical jump shooter, not in total percentage but factoring degree of difficulty and ball dominance.

If Iverson was only shooting the same kinds of shots that your typical perimeter player shot then his percentages would be higher.

Pairing Bledsoe and Dragic together is a pretty out of the box way of doing things. It clearly works between those two, but is MCW capable of shooting it well enough to play off the ball? I don't think so.

I like Bledsoe as a player, don't get me wrong, but to me he is like a Kyle lowery type, even if he is a notch better. Those types of players are point guards. IF we were going to go with a two point guard solution then we better damn well have dead eye shooters in the front court and we don't.

On top of all this stuff is the timing issue which has been conceded to be a deal breaker in and if itself. For me, even signing Klay Thompson next year would not make sense from a timing standpoint, but from a basketball sense it would be awesome.

Players at the level of Eric Bledsoe are available virtually every off season. They are good pieces, but aren't special.

To me, if I am going to do something strange like start two point guards, then it would have to be because one of them was special enough to warrant the risks.

MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#57 » by MRxBLACK » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:33 pm

Hinkie didn't sound too sure about JRich in the conference call yesterday... Seems like he's taking a while to recover from the knee.
ESPN Sucks
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,732

Post#58 » by Mik317 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:34 pm

I'd love to roll the dice on Bledsoe.
It's not my money tho
#NeverGonnaBeGood
ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Post#59 » by ckchen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:58 am

TigerInYourTank wrote:
ckchen wrote:

What's up with the massive overreaction? The question was whether it was a real rumor or not, and I pointed out (correctly) that it was just some random message board conjecture. I frankly agree that we really have no need for Bledsoe, but telling me to **** off and somehow implying "condescension" from my post is just sadly immature. Please feel free to read any implied condescension into THIS post now, however.
TigerInYourTank
Senior

Post#60 » by TigerInYourTank » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:12 am

ckchen wrote:
TigerInYourTank wrote:
ckchen wrote:

What's up with the massive overreaction? The question was whether it was a real rumor or not, and I pointed out (correctly) that it was just some random message board conjecture. I frankly agree that we really have no need for Bledsoe, but telling me to **** off and somehow implying "condescension" from my post is just sadly immature. Please feel free to read any implied condescension into THIS post now, however.

Dude, if English isn't your first language, then you may have an argument. Anyway pisssoff to my block list.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers