ImageImageImage

Arnett Moultrie vs Anthony Bennett

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

vdalfmd
Sophomore
And1: 73

Arnett Moultrie vs Anthony Bennett 

Post#1 » by vdalfmd » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:34 pm

Since lot of people was disappointed from Thad's trade, I want to remind that we already have our Anthony Bennett.

Note those similarities (at least as prospects):
He's always out of shape.
Not interested in playing defense.
He's a potential stretch 4 and can hit jump shots.
Elite athleticism.
Solid rebounding.
Quick, good handle and finishing abiities.
Great length.
Unlike Bennett, he's not undersized and he is a legit Nba PF.

Naturally I listed only the pros...
I did so because I heard Hinkie's interview today when he spoke about the recent trade. He also spoke about Moutlrie and he pointed out that the kid was working really hard and the organization still consider him as a part of their future.
I want to know... how many of you still give a chance to Moultrie?
It seems that everyone got crazy for Bennett who was one of the biggest #1 busts in history and has serious physical issues.. Moultrie is a similar face-up PF scoring prospect and we took his option last year, why not believe in him for the last season? I firmly believe that attitude can be corrected in the our new organization (an example, Smart was one of my Top 3 prospect this year).

(Yeah, I opened a thread about Moultrie. Boring summer.... :lol: )
WVU
Rookie
And1: 759

Re: Arnett Moultrie vs Anthony Bennett 

Post#2 » by WVU » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:42 pm

I've mentally given up on Moultrie. But I don't hate the idea of giving him a chance to prove himself this year. We literally have nothing to lose by keeping him around this season. If he is able to turn it around and stay in shape/play well than all the better.
Imdatboul11
Junior
And1: 74

Post#3 » by Imdatboul11 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:46 pm

He had great rookie season in advanced stats terms. Way better than Bennett's rookie season. I think one thing lead to another last year from thumb to weight to weed and it destroyed his game. But if he's really working hard like Hinkie says I'll give him another chance.
vdalfmd
Sophomore

Post#4 » by vdalfmd » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:47 pm

WVU wrote:I've mentally given up on Moultrie. But I don't hate the idea of giving him a chance to prove himself this year. We literally have nothing to lose by keeping him around this season. If he is able to turn it around and stay in shape/play well than all the better.

I'm more willing to give him another chance since we had back the 1-rounder we traded for him in the Saric's deal :D
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#5 » by PhilasFinest » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:11 pm

is this is a joke?

We can bash Bennett all we want...But the kid was the #1 pick just a year ago,has talent and would have been a steal for Thad Young.

Is he a star in the making? I doubt it, but he could be a solid player if he can get healthy and have a team develop him/use him the right way. I know he had a miserable rookie campaign....but the dude was hurt and could never bounce back. It also didn't help that his coach was terrible, his fit on the roster was terrible, and they misused him n yanked him in and out of the lineup.

I think if Bennett was on the SIxers last year, he could have had a much better year.

Not sure you can call him one of the biggest busts in NBA history after such a limited body of work.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#6 » by Ericb5 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:15 pm

Comparing Moultrie to Bennett as a prospect is silly. I have no hopes for Moultrie anymore, but would love to be proven wrong.

Since his deal is guaranteed for this year already we might as well give him one more shot. He will have to prove that he deserves to stay though and I'm not optimistic.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#7 » by LloydFree » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:27 pm

Moultrie is garbage. He looks like he doesn't know where to stand on offense, and can't even catch the ball when they look for him. He is out of the league after this year, if not sooner.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Kova
Veteran
And1: 711

Post#8 » by Kova » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:32 pm

I'm willing to give him one LAST chance this season. He has to prove that he can contribute and have right mentality for us, because from season 2015/16 we are starting to win, and if he can't contribute, he can't be part of it..
TigerInYourTank
Senior
And1: 198

Post#9 » by TigerInYourTank » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:05 pm

PhilasFinest wrote:is this is a joke?

We can bash Bennett all we want...But the kid was the #1 pick just a year ago,has talent and would have been a steal for Thad Young.

Is he a star in the making? I doubt it, but he could be a solid player if he can get healthy and have a team develop him/use him the right way. I know he had a miserable rookie campaign....but the dude was hurt and could never bounce back. It also didn't help that his coach was terrible, his fit on the roster was terrible, and they misused him n yanked him in and out of the lineup.

I think if Bennett was on the SIxers last year, he could have had a much better year.

Not sure you can call him one of the biggest busts in NBA history after such a limited body of work.

I think I'm with the OP in trying to understand this fascination with this label of "#1 draft pick." It's happened before that a #1 pick has been garbage and Bennett may have been the least-likely #1, ever (he was certainly far from a consensus pick, at least).

If Cleveland had chosen him #2, like a Thabeet, or #3, like an Adam Morrison, would their 2013 valuation of him still carry a sparkly label?

Also, is it reasonable to consider the timeline that one can classify a player as a bust has at least some dependence on how hard that player busts?
vdalfmd
Sophomore

Post#10 » by vdalfmd » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:10 pm

Yes, kinda of a joke, I didn't remember Moultrie was still in our roster until I heard Hinkie today... Bennett last season showed the same flaws that we hate in Moultrie. Besides the roster fit, last year Bennett would have played bad in our rebuilding team too imo (terrible shape, seemed a casual in an Nba team). And why everyone is sure that is going to be a solid NBA player after two dunks in the Summer League? Bennett has more talent than Moultrie, of course, but you can see this silly comparison as a way to show how excessive were the reactions of us getting "Big Bust" Bennett (I wanted him, too, but I'm not disappointed by the actual trade). It seems we were going to get Durant.

Moultrie had similar problems last year (stayin in shape and attitude) but has some talent too. It's the first year he'll start under BB/Hinkie's supervision, so maybe he'll turn out in an actual Nba player who knows. Let's focus on our roster's development instead of gettin overexcited about every trade rumour, we still are a bunch of youngsters. Having said that, I'll trade him for a 2-rounder in an eyeblink :)

(Yes, first pick, but he was more of a 5-10 range pick in an historical terrible draft...)
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#11 » by Sixerscan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:08 pm

TigerInYourTank wrote:

I think I'm with the OP in trying to understand this fascination with this label of "#1 draft pick." It's happened before that a #1 pick has been garbage and Bennett may have been the least-likely #1, ever (he was certainly far from a consensus pick, at least).

If Cleveland had chosen him #2, like a Thabeet, or #3, like an Adam Morrison, would their 2013 valuation of him still carry a sparkly label?

Also, is it reasonable to consider the timeline that one can classify a player as a bust has at least some dependence on how hard that player busts?

I don't understand what this has to do with Moultrie. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, whatever, Bennett is one year removed from being considered an elite prospect coming out of his freshman year. Moutrie was a 2nd half of the first round prospect two years ago after 4 years in college (3 playing + 1 transfer year). Even though Bennett is old for his year, he's still two years younger than Moultrie. They are completely incomparable prospects.
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#12 » by snoopdogg88 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:38 pm

Moultrie is absolute trash and he was a borderline prospect to begin with.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#13 » by Skates » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:48 pm

Are we talking basketball or eating contest here? Bennett wins the benefit of the doubt on the first one, but Moultrie's munchy inducing habits win the latter, bongs down. :)
DavidHume
Junior
And1: 122

Post#14 » by DavidHume » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:16 pm

Okay, I get that this thread is not entirely serious. But I'm struggling to see why the names Bennett and Moultrie would ever be used in the same sentence unless you're talking about players who don't fit in to the Sixers plans at all.

There was never any good reason to think that Bennett was going to become a Sixer, so any discussion of him should be outside of any Sixers context. And Moultrie, it seems, has a tiny chance of making the squad as the thirteenth player, with a chance of being impressive only if he looks good in street clothes.
deep6er
Pro Prospect
And1: 266

Post#15 » by deep6er » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:58 pm

LloydFree wrote:Moultrie is garbage. He looks like he doesn't know where to stand on offense, and can't even catch the ball when they look for him. He is out of the league after this year, if not sooner.

Yeah, when you watch him play, he's a disaster. After the weed suspension, I became convinced that he was playing high. He just looks so clueless out there and is always a step slow.
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#16 » by Winejk » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:03 pm

Even if Moultrie shows signs of life this season, it presents an interesting dilemma. Assuming he works his way into the rotation, it screams Ike Austin to me. If you remember Ike Austin he had a really good year on the last year of his contract. He got a fat pay day for one good season and basically was useless after that.

I guess Hinkie could always flip him for something, but I"d be very wary of signing Moultrie beyond this season regardless if he has a bust out season or not.
F-Stop
Sixth Man
And1: 85

Post#17 » by F-Stop » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:26 pm

Moultrie was a bad pick when we got him.

We should cut bait and drop him. I would rather give developmental minutes to guys who are willing to do weight control and refrain from smoking weed.
Make them respond to your way of playing not the other way around
TigerInYourTank
Senior
And1: 198

Post#18 » by TigerInYourTank » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:52 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
TigerInYourTank wrote:

I don't understand what this has to do with Moultrie. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, whatever, Bennett is one year removed from being considered an elite prospect coming out of his freshman year. Moutrie was a 2nd half of the first round prospect two years ago after 4 years in college (3 playing + 1 transfer year). Even though Bennett is old for his year, he's still two years younger than Moultrie. They are completely incomparable prospects.

Bennett is one half of the comparison here, is he not? Valuing him is half the problem, or perhaps all of the problem if you think you understand Moultrie very well. Yes, the intention of the thread may be tongue-in-cheek, but don't shoot me for playing along.
Cokeleaf
Senior
And1: 131

Post#19 » by Cokeleaf » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:06 am

vdalfmd wrote:I did so because I heard Hinkie's interview today when he spoke about the recent trade. He also spoke about Moutlrie and he pointed out that the kid was working really hard and the organization still consider him as a part of their future.

Can you link this. I watched the interview on phone which is on Sixers.com, but he didn't mention Arnett. Is this another interview you are referring to?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#20 » by Sixerscan » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:12 am

TigerInYourTank wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
TigerInYourTank wrote:

Bennett is one half of the comparison here, is he not? Valuing him is half the problem, or perhaps all of the problem if you think you understand Moultrie very well. Yes, the intention of the thread may be tongue-in-cheek, but don't shoot me for playing along.

Hence, "I don't understand what this has to do with Moultrie."

This is like if there was a thread "Who is taller, Earl Boykins or Thaddeus Young" and saying "Well you know Thad is pretty short for a power forward."

The point of saying Bennett was a #1 pick isn't to convey something special about being a number 1 pick, it's to say he is a much more highly regarded prospect (whether he was taken 1st or 8th) than Moultrie. And on top of that, he was drafted more recently and is younger.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers