Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Re: Courtney Witte fired? 

Post#41 » by dbodner » Mon Sep 1, 2014 2:35 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
dbodner wrote:
Sure Stefanski and Aron got some flak too

Ed Stefanski was fired from the team in 2011, almost a year before they acquired Andrew Bynum. I hope he didn't get flak for that.

If I had any more And 1's left I would give you one but my daily allotment has run out. But good for you.

The point that I was making is this 76ers management at the time knew that there was a bigger than average risk in trading for Bynum, yet they went ahead with the trade. Bynum came here said all the right things and became one of the most hated players ever because it seemed like he did not want to get on the court. I am sure he was not an angel. But a lot of the blame that should have been directed at management was directed at Bynum, a guy with a legitimate injury? Why? Could it have anything to do with the way both parties were presented in the media? Could it have anything to do with the way 76ers media relations handled the issue?

I don't necessarily disagree that some better PR would help give them the benefit of the doubt some more. I just don't like any implication that this has caused some in the media to be lazy about doing their jobs.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#42 » by dbodner » Mon Sep 1, 2014 2:53 pm

BTW, this whole situation has been bleeping hysterical.

Howard Eskin''s initial report was that Witte and the entire scouting staff has been fired, and that Sam Hinkie was heartless because he didn't do this earlier in the offseason, when it would be easier for Witte to find employment.

Now the report by CSN Philly is that Witte's contract expired on July 1st, and he was informed that his contract wouldn't be renewed. Not only was it not really a firing (with a set date, which Witte should have been prepared for the possibility of it not being renewed), but it was, in fact, only 5 days after the 2014 NBA draft, which renders Howard's "it should have happened earlier in the offseason" point moot. And Witte found a job. And there has been no verification that any other scouts have lost their jobs.

Then, Dei Lynam drops this:
No players remain from the Sixers' roster that existed prior to the hiring of Sam Hinkie as team president and general manager in May 2013.

I mean, I understand that it's easy to forget that Jason Richardson exists, and that Arnett Moultrie is borderline irrelevant, but this was her first paragraph! She led the story with this!

Between the Howard report, the Cooney report, this Dei lack-of-fact-checking (and it's been up on CSN Philly for 20 hours), it has not been a good month for Philly mainstream media.
MountainDrew
Veteran
And1: 885

Post#43 » by MountainDrew » Mon Sep 1, 2014 2:57 pm

It's like they don't even care anymore. Disgraceful really.
Trust the Process
TigerInYourTank
Senior
And1: 198

Post#44 » by TigerInYourTank » Mon Sep 1, 2014 3:01 pm

dbodner wrote:BTW, this whole situation has been bleeping hysterical.

Howard Eskin''s initial report was that Witte and the entire scouting staff has been fired, and that Sam Hinkie was heartless because he didn't do this earlier in the offseason, when it would be easier for Witte to find employment.

Now the report by CSN Philly is that Witte's contract expired on July 1st, and he was informed that his contract wouldn't be renewed. Not only was it not really a firing (with a set date, which Witte should have been prepared for the possibility of it not being renewed), but it was, in fact, only 5 days after the 2014 NBA draft, which renders Howard's "it should have happened earlier in the offseason" point moot. And Witte found a job. And there has been no verification that any other scouts have lost their jobs.

No players remain from the Sixers' roster that existed prior to the hiring of Sam Hinkie as team president and general manager in May 2013.

I mean, I understand that it's easy to forget that Jason Richardson exists, and that Arnett Moultrie is borderline irrelevant, but this was her first paragraph! She led the story with this!

Between the Howard report, the Cooney report, this Dei lack-of-fact-checking (and it's been up on CSN Philly for 20 hours), it has not been a good month for Philly mainstream media.

It's almost like the media effort is tanking along with the team. I guess I can see the point of the media not getting too invested in the team in the sense of supporting the idea that the team is building a juggernaut, in case it fails, but this sloppiness is very off-putting.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Post#45 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Sep 1, 2014 4:08 pm

I don't see this different from previously to be honest. It is just not that much of an outlier.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,443

Post#46 » by Eyeamok » Mon Sep 1, 2014 4:31 pm

a
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by Eyeamok » Mon Sep 1, 2014 4:34 pm

a

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#48 » by Eyeamok » Mon Sep 1, 2014 5:17 pm

a

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by Eyeamok » Mon Sep 1, 2014 5:26 pm

Mr Sixer, I don't believe I was having an argument, it was a discussion, just because I/we don't agree with someone does not make it an argument. You start to derail a discussion by entering it and in the first sentence you say I am not trying to be offensive but you are spewing BS. Like I said no offense taken by me but someone else might think you are doing the "I am not being offensive thing " wrong!

You maybe right about the conversation being OT, but that happens a lot here. Nothing personal was said about the person I was dealing with, no one was called an idiot or a moron or anything personal just pointing out different ways of seeing a situation and history. Now if I had said "oh man you are an idiot and your are just talking out of your ass..or all of this is BS." Then it becomes somewhat of a personal attack. But that is just how I see things.

Now on to your reply.

I don't see how you could possibly accuse me of derailing the thread when I hopped into an argument about the role of the media in our tank when this thread is about a Eskin tweet regarding Courtney Witte. It is already OT and if you are so worried about abidings strictly by the rules you should've started another thread related to what we are discussing.

Where did I say you "are/have" derailed the thread? I basically said your opening sentence is one that could easily derail a conversation, there is a big difference. Sometimes, and I am no mod, but you have to let conversations run their course, even if they go OT somewhat. The mods do a great job of putting topics back on course or shutting them down when they get out of hand, and if I recall correctly I was in discussion with a mod, so I guess the topic was within bounds. I am not worried about the rules...like I said the Mods do a good job of enforcing them. What concerns me a little is topics devolving into the personal. Because then we all lose out on good conversations.

As for as the OT discussion goes, I believe the point I others are trying to make is that the only thing we care about is a championship caliber team. Hinkie does not leak information he does not want to because he believes that it increases our chances of creating a championship caliber team (having more information that the rest of the field is beneficial in trades and may also increase the value of your players) (also this isn't confirmed in any ways but it is a possibility that the fleecing of the payton-saric trade was only made possible due to Hinkie finding out that Hennigan was high on Payton somehow)

Once again I am not advocating giving away trade secrets. And I don't need everyone to be on board with my opinion. But a softer approach to the media, IMHO, would not be a bad idea. And doing what you can to present a fan friendly image to the public and having a good relationship with the media only helps your basketball product overall. But there are people who believe it does not so why bother. It's just an opinion.

I think it was genius that Hinkie got such an amazing haul on draft night. But once again just because you give information out to the media does not mean you have to give them your draft strategies and what you are planning to do. The two can exist together one does not exclude the other.

So what we are saying is that we do not want our chances of making a championship caliber team lessened at all, even to the smallest degree, by communicating with the media if it only serves to break our fall in case we fail
[/quote]

Who is this "we" you are talking about? The fans the realgm crew the Hinkie believers? You can have better media relations and do a lot to quell some of the negative feedback this team has got in the media. and not give away the farm. Donuts alone will not do the trick. Some may not see it that way, some may not see the value in it, and some don't deem it necessary. And that is OK. But some do. Like I said winning cures everything and if we start winning and putting out a good product everyone will be happy.

Thank you for your input!

Marlo
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#50 » by the_process » Mon Sep 1, 2014 5:54 pm

dbodner wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
dbodner wrote:
Ed Stefanski was fired from the team in 2011, almost a year before they acquired Andrew Bynum. I hope he didn't get flak for that.

If I had any more And 1's left I would give you one but my daily allotment has run out. But good for you.

The point that I was making is this 76ers management at the time knew that there was a bigger than average risk in trading for Bynum, yet they went ahead with the trade. Bynum came here said all the right things and became one of the most hated players ever because it seemed like he did not want to get on the court. I am sure he was not an angel. But a lot of the blame that should have been directed at management was directed at Bynum, a guy with a legitimate injury? Why? Could it have anything to do with the way both parties were presented in the media? Could it have anything to do with the way 76ers media relations handled the issue?

I don't necessarily disagree that some better PR would help give them the benefit of the doubt some more. I just don't like any implication that this has caused some in the media to be lazy about doing their jobs.

DBods,

You can see how your second post would lead many to believe exactly what you don't want in your first post though, right?
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by Eyeamok » Mon Sep 1, 2014 6:12 pm

You know it's funny and sad all at the same time.

Funny that so many "reporters"/people in the know can't get a story correct and even when they get the main part correct they blunder in the other parts that are additions to the story....players left on the roster.

What the sad part is, is that the more this goes on. Trading for Bennett....well not really, Courtney being fired....well not really being fired...the whole scouting team being let go...well are they? As a fan you start being apathetic to anything printed or said about this team. It is very easy for a malaise to set in which could easily lend it self to losing fans for the long haul.

Unlike in days past there are a lot of draws for people's money and eyeballs. Where once you drifted from one of the 3 sports, Football, baseball, Basketball, season after season now with the internet and the ability to connect with people all over the world perhaps you would rather spend your League Pass money on buying a new game, or you would rather go catch a MMA card as opposed to watching a game.

But what do I know.

Marlo
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by dbodner » Mon Sep 1, 2014 6:18 pm

oyoyer wrote:
dbodner wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

DBods,

You can see how your second post would lead many to believe exactly what you don't want in your first post though, right?

Honestly, no, I'm not sure what you're referring to.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by Eyeamok » Mon Sep 1, 2014 6:31 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
dbodner wrote:

I think you are misremembering just how much flack the front office got about the Bynum trade.

You might be right about that but you can bet if Bynum in the mind of a lot of Philly fans is a bum and will always be a bum...and the guy had a legitimate injury. But the management that brought him here...well who really cares..what they do or where they end up. i can't even recall their names.

Marlo
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#54 » by Sixerscan » Mon Sep 1, 2014 7:43 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

I think you are misremembering just how much flack the front office got about the Bynum trade.

You might be right about that but you can bet if Bynum in the mind of a lot of Philly fans is a bum and will always be a bum...and the guy had a legitimate injury. But the management that brought him here...well who really cares..what they do or where they end up. i can't even recall their names.

Well this sentiment goes back to my main point of why Hinkie doesn't care about giving the local media any more information than he feels necessary. People really only care about the on court product in the long term.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#55 » by Sixerscan » Mon Sep 1, 2014 7:49 pm

oyoyer wrote:
dbodner wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

DBods,

I think Derek's point is that, whether Hinkie has dinner with these people every night or has never talked to them, it doesn't give them an excuse to make basic mistakes in their reporting.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by Eyeamok » Mon Sep 1, 2014 9:58 pm

Maybe she does not care to correct it because it's not a big deal. Perhaps the perception of this franchise is a joke around the league and no one really cares if the news coming out of Philly is correct or not. All most people probably know is the team is tanking, within the rules, they are not using their cap space to sign players, they draft injured players and keep them out for a whole year. They shuffled in D-league players to their starting line up all season long, and they will probably do the same this year. Who cares if a report about the team was correct. Even the person reporting it does not care enough to fact check it so why should anyone else.

And on a side note I listen to the NBA channel on XM radio. I often catch Malik Rose hosting his show. And whenever the issue of the 76ers come up and what they are doing. I have yet to hear him say anything close to a slight endorsement of the team. And this is a guy that will be calling the 76ers games during he season.

Marlo
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#57 » by MRxBLACK » Mon Sep 1, 2014 11:07 pm

Eyeamok wrote:And on a side note I listen to the NBA channel on XM radio. I often catch Malik Rose hosting his show. And whenever the issue of the 76ers come up and what they are doing. I have yet to hear him say anything close to a slight endorsement of the team. And this is a guy that will be calling the 76ers games during he season.

Malik is clueless too? That's a shame.
ESPN Sucks
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#58 » by snoopdogg88 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 1:14 am

everyone loves malik, but he's a bit "simple"
thats part of his charm on the broadcasts
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by dbodner » Tue Sep 2, 2014 2:13 am

Maybe she does not care to correct it because it's not a big deal.

If she does not care about being accurate about what she is reporting, then she should find a new profession. It doesn't matter if you're covering the Oklahoma City Thunder or your local high school junior varsity team, being accurate is a reporters job. Whether or not you agree with the philosophical direction of the team or talk to the GM with regularity is completely beside the point.

It's one thing to misinterpret an obscure rule in the CBA, it's another to COMPLETELY FORGET ABOUT THE EXISTENCE OF TWO PLAYERS ON THE ROSTER. It would have taken her all of 30 seconds to fact-check that.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#60 » by the_process » Tue Sep 2, 2014 3:41 am

dbodner wrote:
Maybe she does not care to correct it because it's not a big deal.

If she does not care about being accurate about what she is reporting, then she should find a new profession. It doesn't matter if you're covering the Oklahoma City Thunder or your local high school junior varsity team, being accurate is a reporters job. Whether or not you agree with the philosophical direction of the team or talk to the GM with regularity is completely beside the point.

It's one thing to misinterpret an obscure rule in the CBA, it's another two COMPLETELY FORGET ABOUT THE EXISTENCE OF TWO PLAYERS ON THE ROSTER. It would have taken her all of 30 seconds to fact-check that.

That's what I was trying to say earlier. It's just lazy on her part not doing her job. All summer long these old heads in the Philly media just print anything they want to without any concern for accuracy. If it's not laziness, then it's blatant propaganda against the Hinkie regime. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if some of your more tenured colleagues at long standing media institutions around town were just exercising their disapproval of the fact Hinkie won't feed them stories. Which is absolute horses---, to put it kindly.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers