ImageImageImage

Michael Carter-Williams or EmManuel Mudiay

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

SixersKing21585
Ballboy
And1: 1

Michael Carter-Williams or EmManuel Mudiay 

Post#1 » by SixersKing21585 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:28 pm

If mcw doesn't get any better this season should we consider drafting the top point guard in next year's draft mudiay? Any thoughts?
Xepa777
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,743

Re: Michael Carter-Williams or EmManuel Mudiay 

Post#2 » by Xepa777 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:48 pm

Mudiay's game reminds me so much of the whole Marbury/Francis/Iverson/Baron Davis era. Those ball dominant guards don't get you anywhere. It's very, very difficult to build a team around them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wwPlw4Lmxs
Mudiay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul_Nj74WUVg
Marcus Smart in HS

Marcus Smart looked better than Mudiay in HS. I swear, if Mudiay wasn't top 3 on the draft boards, people wouldn't be hyping his game.

You win the game with bigs. Whether that's a dominant SF, PF, C, they need to be the centerpiece of your offense. You can even say the 09-10 Lakers won because of the Odom-Gasl-Bynum trio more than Kobe.

Even if Mudiay puts up better stats than MCW, I'd take the PG who plays his role, can help a team more (MCW's defense with his length), and who we won't have to fork over a max contract to (as we'll need those for Noel-Embiid-Towns).
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#3 » by LloydFree » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:33 pm

Mudiay is the best player, so if you get the pick, you take him. Best available player. Unless you are a believer that MCW will eventually be a perennial All-NBA at the position, MCW's presence should have no bearing on a top 3 pick. Take the guy who has the most potential to be an All-NBA player, and let it play out.

My initial observations of the potential top picks (Mudiay, Okafor, Townes, Alexander, Oubre): Mudiay is the one I believe has all-pro potential. I would take Mudiay, regardless of MCW.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
76ers3
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post#4 » by 76ers3 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:42 pm

Mudiay would be a solid 2nd option to Embiid imo.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#5 » by MRxBLACK » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:47 pm

I might not take Mudiay, but I wouldn't do it to pick an inferior talent. I like Towns more, Mudiay is my #2.
ESPN Sucks
jpizzle
Sophomore
And1: 17

Post#6 » by jpizzle » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:53 pm

Why would we take Towns when we already have Embiid Noel Saric lol
We need Mudiay more than towns at this point...

He's a 1-2 guard and can play along side MCW..

He has the most potential in 2015 years draft.
DRAFTING MUDIAY IS ALMOST A GIVEN.

Drafting another big is stupid.
its time for the sixers to stop gettin HOSED!
Xepa777
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,743

Post#7 » by Xepa777 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:56 pm

jpizzle wrote:Why would we take Towns when we already have Embiid Noel Saric lol

Like how the Celtics having Bird, Parish, McHale, and Bird was stupid?
TigerInYourTank
Senior
And1: 198

Post#8 » by TigerInYourTank » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:18 pm

Xepa777 wrote:
jpizzle wrote:Why would we take Towns when we already have Embiid Noel Saric lol

Like how the Celtics having Bird, Parish, McHale, and Bird was stupid?

You mean Bird, Parish, McHale, and Maxwell? I never liked this as a comparison because of how special Bird was, but I would support getting Towns in case any of the other 3 don't pan out due to injury or something. I would be cool with pairing a good-shooting Mudiay with MCW, too. Those may be the two best outcomes.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,807

Post#9 » by Mik317 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:58 pm

Unless MCW takes a major leap this year...he should have no bearing on who we take.

Especially if we finish in the top 5 naturally. If we somehow end up around 7-10 and then jump up via the lottery, maybe and even then. MCW would have to put up 20, 5, and 8 on relatively good % to be a reason not to take a guy.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#10 » by MRxBLACK » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:00 pm

Drafting for need is stupid in any draft and in any sport.
ESPN Sucks
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,073

Post#11 » by Embiid P » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:28 pm

Yeah I think if we are in a position to draft either Mudiay or one of the big guys (Towns, Okafor or Alexander), we take them regardless of who we already have. We can then turn around and trade one or more of MCW, Noel, and Saric for a top swing man.
jpizzle
Sophomore

Post#12 » by jpizzle » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:04 pm

MRxBLACK wrote:

ummm it's not just about need...It's about Mudiay being the best prospect and having the most potential.
jpizzle
Sophomore

Post#13 » by jpizzle » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:05 pm

You guys underestimating Mudiay...He has huge upside to be like an irving/westbrook type of player.
Cokeleaf
Senior
And1: 131

Post#14 » by Cokeleaf » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:33 pm

I'm all for drafting Mudiay to pair up with MCW. If Mudiay can play offball as well as ball handler I like the idea of it
SixersR1
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#15 » by SixersR1 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:35 pm

We are one perimeter scorer away from being relevant. I would feel a little bad for MCW because he's done what was asked of him and out performed expectations, but you always draft the best player and figure out fit later. The same can be said for Towns.
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#16 » by wickedwrister » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:36 pm

jpizzle wrote:
MRxBLACK wrote:

ummm it's not just about need...It's about Mudiay being the best prospect and having the most potential.

Hence his point is if he is the best player you just take him. It doesn't matter what position they play, get the best asset and sort it out later.

People who draft for positional need act like trades can't happen. If the best asset is a center or power forward just take them and then teams who need what you have will be calling you.
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
deep6er
Pro Prospect
And1: 266

Post#17 » by deep6er » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:59 pm

It's a long way from the 2015 draft. By next spring, Mudiay could be the clear cut #1 prospect or a guy who couldn't hack it overseas. MCW could be player who has developed his shooting and finishing to the point of becoming a complete player or a player whose weaknesses were all exposed in his sophmore year. I know it's the offseason, but to make a decision on a one to one comparison between the two is pointless. Better to just devote the thread to talking about why you think Mudiay is a can't miss prospect. Personally, I'm not sold. I'll wait until I see him play against someone older than 18.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#18 » by Sixerscan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:17 pm

Xepa777 wrote:Mudiay's game reminds me so much of the whole Marbury/Francis/Iverson/Baron Davis era. Those ball dominant guards don't get you anywhere. It's very, very difficult to build a team around them.

Pretty sure if you watched highlights on pretty much any elite PG prospect in high school it would look similar. Point Guard is one of the toughest positions to master before you get to the league. The reality is that if you are an NBA athlete playing in high school, the most effective way for you to win is to get buckets.

Anyway, we'd hardly be building our team around him. He'd hopefully be the 3rd or 4th best player on the team.

And I know people tend to think that you need some Chris Paul/Nash type distributor PG to succeed, but if you look at the teams at the top of the league that really isn't the case. Guys that can create offense for themselves within the context of the team are very important too.
DavidHume
Junior
And1: 122

Post#19 » by DavidHume » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:24 pm

jpizzle wrote:ummm it's not just about need...It's about Mudiay being the best prospect and having the most potential.

It's best to avoid self-contradiction.
SixersKing21585
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#20 » by SixersKing21585 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:21 pm

We have enough big men , I'd say our top pick pg/sg- Mudiay, sf/sg- Oubre, or sg/sf-Hezonja plus he can get saric over here quicker.
Porzingis is a perfect complement big for the pf and c but I doubt he's there with our Miami pick. A 7 foot pf/c that shoots.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers