ImageImageImage

NBA likely to vote on changing draft odds next month

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

NBA likely to vote on changing draft odds next month 

Post#1 » by wickedwrister » Fri Oct 3, 2014 6:13 pm

Per Zach Lowe twitter. Changes would be immediate for 2015 draft. Likely to pass if it comes to vote per Lowe with only Sixers against it.

$#%# this :banghead:
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Re: NBA likely to vote on changing draft odds next month 

Post#2 » by MRxBLACK » Fri Oct 3, 2014 6:21 pm

Sam Hinkie changed the NBA.
ESPN Sucks
BangerBrotha
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#3 » by BangerBrotha » Fri Oct 3, 2014 6:21 pm

Removed.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#4 » by Unbreakable99 » Fri Oct 3, 2014 6:27 pm

@ZachLowe_NBA: League sources: NBA sent memo today indicating 30 teams could vote on slightly revised lottery reform proposal at Bd of Gov later this month

@ZachLowe_NBA: Proposal details: four worst teams would have equal 12 percent chance to win No. 1 pick. Worst team could fall no lower than No 7.

@ZachLowe_NBA: Four teams w/ best record would have, in order, 0.5%, 1%, 1.5%, 2.5% chance at No. 1 pick and better chance than today of moving into top-6
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#5 » by Unbreakable99 » Fri Oct 3, 2014 6:29 pm

@chadfordinsider: Next step for NBA: Structuring draft day like NFL. 15 mins between picks + allowing trades to happen in real time on draft night.
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#6 » by wickedwrister » Fri Oct 3, 2014 6:30 pm

BangerBrotha wrote:**** Philly!!! Cheaters!!!!!!!!

:lol:

Please explain this idiocy to me. How in the world is Philly cheating anything. Philly built a long term strategy around rules that have been in place for decades.

The league changing those rules after they are already committed to the strategy is nonsense.
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,773

Post#7 » by Skates » Fri Oct 3, 2014 6:33 pm

Whatever, at this point who cares. If the current player rankings hold true the swingmen/shooters we would likely be targeting would be available when we pick.

My favorite part is how nobody notices or seems to remember that we didn't finish with the worst record last year.
BobThornton
Pro Prospect
And1: 239

Post#8 » by BobThornton » Fri Oct 3, 2014 6:34 pm

If we end up with the worst record, as long as we don't drop below ~4 or so I could live with that.
MountainDrew
Veteran
And1: 885

Post#9 » by MountainDrew » Fri Oct 3, 2014 6:54 pm

lol they have to change the rules because Hinkie is bossing the league so much :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its really sad that it's coming to this though, they're penalizing us for following the rules. Really childish. Luckily our success doesn't really depend on this upcoming draft anyway, but it's just annoying.
Trust the Process
PMFJB
Banned User
And1: 647

Post#10 » by PMFJB » Fri Oct 3, 2014 7:06 pm

Skates wrote:Whatever, at this point who cares. If the current player rankings hold true the swingmen/shooters we would likely be targeting would be available when we pick.

My favorite part is how nobody notices or seems to remember that we didn't finish with the worst record last year.

That is not the point. You guys tried as hard as you could to get the worst record by keeping your best player out. You purposely picked two guys who wouldn't play this year so that you would be horrible again and get another top pick.

You purposely didn't sign anyone to field a horrible basketball team.
The bucks who were the worse never did any of those things. They were just plain bad. But you purposely did all those things.

Now you are right, that is well within the rules. But so was punching an opponent without getting tossed in the 80s. The bad boys brought to light what horrible rules they had and changed them.

Your team just brought to light how someone can purposely put the worst product possible to get some ping pong balls. And now the rules changed no different.

What your team is doing is not against the rules but it goes against what everyone has ever been taught and that is to try to compete no matter what and let the chips fall where they may. And that is where the issue lies.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,420

Post#11 » by Eyeamok » Fri Oct 3, 2014 7:11 pm

PMFJB wrote:
Skates wrote:Whatever, at this point who cares. If the current player rankings hold true the swingmen/shooters we would likely be targeting would be available when we pick.

That is not the point. You guys tried as hard as you could to get the worst record by keeping your best player out. You purposely picked two guys who wouldn't play this year so that you would be horrible again and get another top pick.

The bucks who were the worse never did any of those things. They were just plain bad. But you purposely did all those things.

Now you are right, that is well within the rules. But so was punching an opponent without getting tossed in the 80s. The bad boys brought to light what horrible rules they had and changed them.

Your team just brought to light how someone can purposely put the worst product possible to get some ping pong balls. And now the rules changed no different.

What your team is doing is not against the rules but it goes against what everyone has ever been taught and that is to try to compete no matter what and let the chips fall where they may. And that is where the issue lies.

You sir seem to have no concept of a long term vision. If all goes well the 76ers are fast tracking their way out of the lottery and into being contenders. Most teams get out of the lottery and stay average, at best for years. The 76ers are being bad for a few years in hopes they never ever sniff the lottery again for a good decade or more.

Once upon a time everyone was taught that the world was flat. New ideas came along and boom things changed. Just because you were taught something does not mean it is the only way to do things for the rest of your life. Things change, people (Hinkie) innovate and try new ways to do things. That's life.

The same people that are crying about how unfair the 76ers are...will be crying even harder at the end of the season if they change the lottery and the 76ers end up with the #1 pick.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Chamberlainship
Sixth Man
And1: 213

Post#12 » by Chamberlainship » Fri Oct 3, 2014 7:12 pm

A more experienced GM/owner that's more familiar with the culture of the NBA may've been able to see the problems in this strategy/media approach.

I love how we're fielding a D-league team to get a high pick, but somehow the draft isn't that important to us anymore.
PMFJB
Banned User

Post#13 » by PMFJB » Fri Oct 3, 2014 7:14 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
PMFJB wrote:

You sir seem to have no concept of a long term vision. If all goes well the 76ers are fast tracking their way out of the lottery and into being contenders. Most teams get out of the lottery and stay average, at best for years. The 76ers are being bad for a few years in hopes they never ever sniff the lottery again for a good decade or more.

Who is saying I don't see the long term plan here? Everyone can see what Hinkie is doing. EVERYONE.

That doesn't change what I said. Not one bit.
Chamberlainship
Sixth Man
And1: 213

Post#14 » by Chamberlainship » Fri Oct 3, 2014 7:20 pm

MRxBLACK wrote:Sam Hinkie changed the NBA.

Ted Stepien did too.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,420

Post#15 » by Eyeamok » Fri Oct 3, 2014 7:21 pm

PMFJB wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
PMFJB wrote:That is not the point. You guys tried as hard as you could to get the worst record by keeping your best player out. You purposely picked two guys who wouldn't play this year so that you would be horrible again and get another top pick.

Who is saying I don't see the long term plan here? Everyone can see what Hinkie is doing. EVERYONE.

No not everyone. So if you can see the plan...what is your gripe. That the 76ers are doing something that was available to every other team. But because every other team did not do it. Then it should be disallowed?

Or that every other team/organization plays with so much integrity and tries to win all the time and this team does not?

The 76ers are applying an aggressive approach to winning. Take some pain now for a lot of joy later. I can get with that.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
PMFJB
Banned User

Post#16 » by PMFJB » Fri Oct 3, 2014 7:24 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
PMFJB wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:Who is saying I don't see the long term plan here? Everyone can see what Hinkie is doing. EVERYONE.

No not everyone. So if you can see the plan...what is your gripe. That the 76ers are doing something that was available to every other team. But because every other team did not do it. Then it should be disallowed?

Or that every other team/organization plays with so much integrity and tries to win all the time and this team does not?

The 76ers are applying an aggressive approach to winning. Take some pain now for a lot of joy later. I can get with that.

The 89/90 Pistons took an aggressive approach to winning to. They tried hurting their opponents to get a win. Now was that allowed back then? Sure.
Were they playing around the rules set forth back then? Sure.
Was it dirty and unsportsmanlike? Yep.
Did it cause and uproar for the league to change the rules? Yep

Same concept, except the dirty part. This is just disgraceful to competitive sports to field the worst team possible. I don't see why you can't see that.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#17 » by BullyKing » Fri Oct 3, 2014 7:26 pm

PMFJB wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
PMFJB wrote:

The 89/90 Pistons took an aggressive approach to winning to. They tried hurting their opponents to get a win. Now was that allowed back then? Sure.

Same concept, except the dirty part. This is just disgraceful to competitive sports to field the worst team possible. I don't see why you can't see that.

Because its equally disgraceful to competitive sports to not be willing to try anything creative to become a contender and instead simply accept your fate as perpetual also ran. Look, no one is going to change your opinion on this and you're entitled to have it. But thinking that your opinion is the only one with moral authority is wrong.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
PMFJB
Banned User

Post#18 » by PMFJB » Fri Oct 3, 2014 7:26 pm

Eyeamok wrote:

This is the biggest problem with Hinkie.
He has this smug attitude about this whole thing. He probably got it from Morey another overrated gm. "I know what I am doing and IDGF what anyone thinks. I am not even going to try to hide that I am trying to be awful like everyone else. FU NBA. I do what I want. "

That is not going to fly with anyone. And now well I guess he does give a f***.
Xepa777
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,743

Post#19 » by Xepa777 » Fri Oct 3, 2014 7:29 pm

PMFJB wrote:

I actually support the rule change, but to implement it AFTER the offseason is over is an egregious punishment against the Sixers. Who knows how the strategy would have changed if this was voted on in say, April. These types of decisions have mutli-year impacts.

...but it's okay guys.

We already won 8-)
PMFJB
Banned User

Post#20 » by PMFJB » Fri Oct 3, 2014 7:29 pm

BullyKing wrote:
PMFJB wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

Because its equally disgraceful to competitive sports to not be willing to try anything creative to become a contender and instead simply accept your fate as perpetual also ran. Look, no one is going to change your opinion on this and you're entitled to have it. But thinking that your opinion is the only one with moral authority is wrong.

Look no one batted an eye when he traded an all star for picks. Good trade actually. Sell high.
But to keep your best player out. Ok. Maybe he was "injured". MAYBE.

But the draft was the final nail in the coffin for Hinkie. Had you kept Payton no one would have said anything. But you had to trade him for a guy who won't play for 2 years when you were in dire need of talent. And you didn't sign anyone that was an nba caliber player.
I can't remember ANYONE doing this in team sports.

You call it creative, I call it smug, unsportsmanlike and unprofessional. And now the rules have changed because everyone can see that.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers