ImageImageImage

MCW injury watch

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

roma258
Analyst
And1: 901

MCW injury watch 

Post#1 » by roma258 » Thu Oct 9, 2014 3:14 pm

Hopefully this isn't a redundant thread, but I just want to have a place to check in on his injury status. Not much coming out of the team these days, but it looks like the preseason is out and he might miss the start of the regular season as well. NBD so far, Sixers are obviously super cautious with their young guys, but something to keep an eye on.
Liberté, égalité, lotteré
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Re: MCW injury watch 

Post#2 » by wickedwrister » Thu Oct 9, 2014 3:52 pm

Would rather they be super cautious and have him on the floor when he is ready to go full tilt.

However I am very worried about this team's ability to win 10 games if he misses large portions of the year.
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#3 » by CoreyGallagher » Thu Oct 9, 2014 8:37 pm

Googling labral recovery length, it's lengthy lol. From minimal research it seems like 4-6 week initial pain stage, therapy to post rehab transitional stage is 6-12 weeks, transitioning to normalcy is another 6-12 weeks, that's 16-30 weeks, 4 to 7/8 months. That's for an average person without the world class doctors, trainers, etc, fwiw.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
MCtripDub
Pro Prospect
And1: 254
Location: Manila, Philippines: Home of Team Gilas Pilipinas #Puso

Post#4 » by MCtripDub » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:43 am

CoreyGallagher wrote:Googling labral recovery length, it's lengthy lol. From minimal research it seems like 4-6 week initial pain stage, therapy to post rehab transitional stage is 6-12 weeks, transitioning to normalcy is another 6-12 weeks, that's 16-30 weeks, 4 to 7/8 months. That's for an average person without the world class doctors, trainers, etc, fwiw.

wouldn't that depend on the grade of his tear tho? i remember jameer nelson back in like 2009 i think. he was an allstar but tore his labrum right before the asg and sat out until the magic reached the finals. i think his was really serious, id about mcw's tho.
Help a fellow Sixer fan out! Please drop by http://nbadraftaddict.tumblr.com/ :D

Thanks! #TogetherWeBuild

CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#5 » by CoreyGallagher » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:00 am

MCtripDub wrote:
CoreyGallagher wrote:Googling labral recovery length, it's lengthy lol. From minimal research it seems like 4-6 week initial pain stage, therapy to post rehab transitional stage is 6-12 weeks, transitioning to normalcy is another 6-12 weeks, that's 16-30 weeks, 4 to 7/8 months. That's for an average person without the world class doctors, trainers, etc, fwiw.

wouldn't that depend on the grade of his tear tho? i remember jameer nelson back in like 2009 i think. he was an allstar but tore his labrum right before the asg and sat out until the magic reached the finals. i think his was really serious, id about mcw's tho.

Likely, as I mentioned I did minimal research, although that's why I'm assuming that there's such a discrepancy in estimated times given.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#6 » by snoopdogg88 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:53 am

there's been an elusive shady company line around the MCW injury since it happened.

i get a very Bynumish vibe about the whole thing.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#7 » by MRxBLACK » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:57 am

At least he's able to shoot and lift. I'm betting he'll be back for the first game. It would be almost six months since the surgery.
ESPN Sucks
deep6er
Pro Prospect
And1: 266

Post#8 » by deep6er » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:16 am

snoopdogg88 wrote:there's been an elusive shady company line around the MCW injury since it happened.

Shut your mouth and say that name no more. Not when referring to any Sixer player... except maybe Moultrie. Nope, best to just not say it at all.
eliasrapp98
Assistant Coach
And1: 381

Post#9 » by eliasrapp98 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:21 am

snoopdogg88 wrote:there's been an elusive shady company line around the MCW injury since it happened.

How can you compare the two? Bynum never even practiced for us after his injury. MCW is shooting and everything now it seems, just not practicing. Also it's a labrum injury. That's not a scary injury; you just have to wait it out. I'm glad we're waiting for him to be completely healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PG: Russell Westbrook, Reggie Jackson
SG: Andre Roberson, Anthony Morrow, Jeremy Lamb
SF: Kevin Durant, KJ McDaniels, Perry Jones
PF: Serge Ibaka, Nick Collison, Robert Covington
Cc: Al Jefferson, Steven Adams, Kendrick Perkins, Mitch McGary
roma258
Analyst

Post#10 » by roma258 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:59 pm

Slew of articles on the injury suddenly. I don't think there's anything nefarious going on, he's probably fine and they're being super-duper cautious because they can. But it doesn't sound like he's going to play in the opener, since that's two weeks away and he's "a few weeks away". Sounds like he might miss a week or two of the regular season actually:
"It's hard to give an exact timeline," coach Brett Brown said of Carter-Williams' return. "I see a stronger body, including his shoulder. I see a fitter player, including his wind and his basic cardio stuff. He's just sort of going on the path that we anticipated. In relation to when does that actually translate into playing physical, five-on-five basketball, I still think he's a few weeks' away."
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/six ... yAHrEeE.99
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#11 » by LongLiveHinkie » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:06 pm

I knew from the time it was announced he'd miss half the season. It's all part of the tank. I say he's out til January at the very least.
KKell2507
Starter
And1: 507

Post#12 » by KKell2507 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:09 pm

Per Wiretap and Espn.

MCW set a return date for November 13th at Dallas.

If that is indeed the case, he would miss 7 games to start the year.
roma258
Analyst

Post#13 » by roma258 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:41 pm

KKell2507 wrote:Per Wiretap and Espn.

MCW set a return date for November 13th at Dallas.

If that is indeed the case, he would miss 7 games to start the year.

Decent news, I guess.
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant
And1: 483

Post#14 » by ZarcMumoff » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:35 pm

I love ESPN so much.

A source told ESPN that Carter-Williams is optimistic about returning Nov. 13 in Dallas. However, there remains a belief that the team will hold him back, since general manager Sam Hinkie has shown little desire to win games this season and instead remains hopeful of landing another top draft pick in order to rebuild the franchise through high draft picks.

This is the **** that really pisses me off. If Michael Carter-Williams isn't fully healthy, there's no reason he should play. Once Carter-Williams is healthy, he'll play, period. Does Hinkie want to lose games? Hell yeah, but Hinkie isn't in a meeting with Brett Brown saying, "Hey, MCW is fully healthy, but we want to hold him out an extra week so we can lose some more." Because as if Michael Carter-Williams is sooooooo good he'll lead this team to being the 3rd worse team instead of the worst. Give me a **** break.

The Sixers with or without MCW will have the worst record this season. But heaven forbid we wait until our second year PG is fully healthy to get him back on the court for these oh-so meaningful November match ups. ****.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by MRxBLACK » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:43 pm

That's par for the course by ESPN.
ESPN Sucks
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#16 » by Kobblehead » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:23 pm

The only goal for this season (other than losing games) is having Michael and Nerlens develop chemistry.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#17 » by Unbreakable99 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:45 pm

Not so fast. I just heard Bob Cooney on Sirius talk about this. He said the Sixers never gave a deadline. He said he spoke to them and they said they won't even know whey MCW will return until he's cleared to practice. As of today he's not even cleared to practice. Once he is cleared then they can make a determination but that November 13th date is not a date the Sixers put out.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#18 » by Ericb5 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:29 pm

Kobblehead wrote:The only goal for this season (other than losing games) is having Michael and Nerlens develop chemistry.

There's that, but there is also maturing both of their games individually. Can MCW improve his shooting? Can Noel stay out of foul trouble and remain healthy while showing that he can rebound and hit an open jumper?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Sleep
Starter
And1: 534

Post#19 » by Sleep » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:03 am

Whether he plays or not, this team is going to be close to all time bad.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by MRxBLACK » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:11 am

Sleep wrote:Whether he plays or not, this team is going to be close to all time bad.

Okay bud.
ESPN Sucks

Return to Philadelphia 76ers