ImageImageImage

Grizzlies @ Sixers 7:30 pm ET Game Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

underpressure
Analyst
And1: 239

Re: Grizzlies @ Sixers 7:30 pm ET Game Thread 

Post#281 » by underpressure » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:30 am

Arguably, this is the worst loss in the past couple of years. Can't think of any other game in recent memory where a win slipped off our hands in such a fashion. The truth is that we were still in a great position to win this game despite playing awful defense down the stretch and committing some unforced errors. More than anything, the Grizzlies were just awfully lucky to hit some tough shots. They needed a career-high of one of their best players and 8 three-pointers to knock us off. We were the better team for most of the game, we definitely deserved to win this game despite all the breakdowns at the end of the game.
It hasn't really worked out against the Nets but I am glad to see that our starting 5 with Covington and Thompson meshes much better. If there is anything positive to take from this game is that our offense looked more cohesive than in previous games. I hope our guys can take the many positive things out of this game and build on on it against the Celtics on coming Monday.
FreesFro
Pro Prospect
And1: 274

Post#282 » by FreesFro » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:58 am

I lost some brain cells after reading this thread. Wow.
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#283 » by Agnostifarian » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:28 pm

sixersblue wrote:My feeling:

Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance

I'm at Anger. Bear with me; this is a long rebuild.

MCW was gassed by OT. Blame it on him for being out of shape or on BB for rotations that didn't get MCW enough rest. Bad loss. Move on...
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#284 » by CoreyGallagher » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:37 pm

God, the immediate condemnation is ridiculous, some of you are so awful at rationalizing it makes reading these threads unbearable at times.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#285 » by CoreyGallagher » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:45 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:TRUE DAT

Ask yourself this - Game 7 of the Western Conference Finals...same situation...Spurs up at home by 3 with 4.6 seconds left and the Grizz are out of TO's...

Does Pop have his players foul Gasol?

You bet your bippy he does.

Not only is Gasol nowhere near a shooting position, but - if I have a QUALITY coaching staff, I tell the players that if Gasol gets the ball, foul the CRAP out of him. Not only is he less likely to get into a quick shooting position to sell a 3...you have their biggest guy shooting free throws instead of trying to rebound the intentional miss on the second shot.

I hope the ENTIRE coaching staff does not sleep tonight. They lost this game.

:nonono:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DSIP5eTxH8[/youtube]

Easy to dissect something after the fact. Stupid ass Popovich, I saw **** that I would have done differently that would have won them this game.

Gasol's an 84% free throw shooter, imagine if he did just chuck it up as he was getting fouled...
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#286 » by LloydFree » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:34 pm

Agnostifarian wrote:
sixersblue wrote:My feeling:

Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance

I'm at Anger. Bear with me; this is a long rebuild.

MCW was gassed by OT. Blame it on him for being out of shape or on BB for rotations that didn't get MCW enough rest. Bad loss. Move on...

I think the anger directed at MCW is a little unfair. MCW has a right to be gassed in Overtime, in the 2nd of back-to-backs. More so than any other PG in the league, he has to do everything, every possession, because there is no secondary ball handler or decision maker on the court most of the game. That's what happens when you start 3 Small forwards and have Centers that can't catch the ball down low. Doing everything every possession is bound to lead to exhaustion and bad turnovers.
Be angry at the roster construction, if anything. But why be angry at anything, if the point is to not win that many games anyway.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
504ByrdGang
Junior
And1: 252

Post#287 » by 504ByrdGang » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:08 pm

We really was fleeced in the Jrue trade this guy only has a near 20 per
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#288 » by BullyKing » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:23 pm

[quote="504ByrdGang"]We really was fleeced in the Jrue trade this guy only has a near 20 per[/quote

Your team is .500 and will likely miss the playoffs again this year. I wouldn't really see that as reason to troll.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#289 » by LloydFree » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:23 pm

504ByrdGang wrote:We really was fleeced in the Jrue trade this guy only has a near 20 per

No playoffs and no draft picks for two years after the trade. Congratulations!
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#290 » by CoreyGallagher » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:33 pm

504ByrdGang wrote:We really was fleeced in the Jrue trade this guy only has a near 20 per

Lol, pitiful if you're truly this ignorant. Didn't trade for Noel expecting immediate offensive contribution which is what PER almost specifically measures, we traded for his long term potential which he has shown plenty of. Also, Saric, what we got in trading for Saric (additional first and second rounders) is a nice dividend of the Jrue/Noel trade as well.

Sort of sad that you're so distressed about this trade that you attempt to troll as to persuade yourself that it wasn't awful valuation.
FreesFro
Pro Prospect
And1: 274

Post#291 » by FreesFro » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:39 pm

Long way to go on seeing who won that trade. Jrue is in his 6th year. Lets see where Nerlens is in his 6th year and Saric isn't even here yet. We'll see who won this trade in a few more years.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#292 » by MRxBLACK » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:12 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:
ryst wrote:the only way to lose an 18 points lead in the fourth quarter is if you got bad coaching

TRUE DAT

Ask yourself this - Game 7 of the Western Conference Finals...same situation...Spurs up at home by 3 with 4.6 seconds left and the Grizz are out of TO's...

Does Pop have his players foul Gasol?

You bet your bippy he does.

Not only is Gasol nowhere near a shooting position, but - if I have a QUALITY coaching staff, I tell the players that if Gasol gets the ball, foul the CRAP out of him. Not only is he less likely to get into a quick shooting position to sell a 3...you have their biggest guy shooting free throws instead of trying to rebound the intentional miss on the second shot.

I hope the ENTIRE coaching staff does not sleep tonight. They lost this game.

:nonono:

You really embarrassed yourself with that post. Watch a similar situation:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44T6FYdLcLc[/youtube]

Pop is such an IDIOT, they should've hacked Bosh YO!! Right?
ESPN Sucks
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#293 » by MRxBLACK » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:18 pm

Haha. And shortsighted post of the day goes to...
ESPN Sucks
ryst
Banned User
And1: 506

Post#294 » by ryst » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:22 pm

its nice how everyone try to ignore the mistakes made by BB in the fourth quarter
those are mistakes he make every game , wrong lineups , wrong defensive sets , giving the ball to the wrong person , no set plays for most of the game

every time the game gets close this coach tense up and lose his marbles , we saw it in the Rockets game and we saw it yesterday

Noel could not hit the ocean and they could not stop them anyway on defense , how about putting in Sims who can score?
how about moving MCW to defend someone else after the 2nd wide open shot where he leave his guy all alone?

there are so many things that could have been done from a coaching stand point but nothing was done.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,856

Post#295 » by Phila Tough » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:30 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:

Lol, so pitiful if you're truly this ignorant. Didn't trade for Noel expecting immediate offensive contribution which is what PER almost specifically measures, we traded for his long term potential which he has shown plenty of. Also, Saric, what we got in trading for Saric (additional first and second rounders) is a nice dividend of the Jrue/Noel trade as well.

Sort of sad that you're so distressed about this trade that you attempt to troll as to persuade yourself that it wasn't awful valuation.

He's still coming on our boards!? WTF
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#296 » by CoreyGallagher » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:42 pm

Noel could not hit the ocean and they could not stop them anyway on defense , how about putting in Sims who can score?
how about moving MCW to defend someone else after the 2nd wide open shot where he leave his guy all alone?

there are so many things that could have been done from a coaching stand point but nothing was done.

Sims was in until the 7 minute mark of the fourth, however our starters were put back in because on back to back possessions Sims and Wroten turned it over which allowed the Grizz to cut it from a 17 point game to an 11 point game in a minute and a half span. His defense was porous last night and Noel actually played well when he was put back in, had a block and 2 steals, altered numerous shots in the remaining 9 minutes which included overtime.

Look at the play by play, seems like nobody does and then just complains after the game about whatever they want to.

Our team switches everything on defense, MCW was at fault plenty of times, however for instance the corner 3 that Conley was wide open for was Covington late on a rotation. Also, the Grizz caught fire at the right time, they shot 8-12 from deep in the fourth, we made their jobs easier by leaving them open a few times, however shooting that well is tough to do at practice or in warm ups let alone in an actual game.

Thanks to Brett Brown we're ranked 13th in defensive efficiency this season, he's made mistakes, our players have made plenty of mistakes, we're just so awful though that when they do it's usually noticeable and thus magnified.

We've taken the Rockets and the Grizz down to the wire, heck we outplayed both for a majority of these games, it sucks that we've collapsed and lost, but you can see improvement and glimpses of what you hope to.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,746

Post#297 » by Negrodamus » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:12 pm

Whether Brett Brown is the longterm answer or not remains to be seen.

One thing is for certain, though: This is his first head coaching gig. There will be an in game adjustment learning curve. Every time he makes a mistake, I'm sure he recognizes it and will adjust accordingly. I'd rather have this situation with a team that is simply too young and/or doesn't have enough talent than with a team that is full of veteran and he's too green to make the right decisions in critical situations.

I don't think players should get a pass as being "too young" or "too inexperienced" and coaches don't get that same luxury. But, like all things regarding potential, we could be wasting our time with Brown if he's not the real deal. Only time will tell as we get more talent. If Hinkie sees something in him that makes him mainstay as our coach, then I'll trust that decision.
WorldBeFree
Starter
And1: 406

Post#298 » by WorldBeFree » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:38 pm

BB did a good rotation. Still sucks at drawing plays. Sims has to learn how to put a solid screen or his nba days will be over sooner then later.
How we struggled to put the ball in, in the last seconds was embarrassing.

Sent from my D2303 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,420

Post#299 » by Eyeamok » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:52 pm

Plain and simple this is what is know as growing pains. Young teams and young coaches learn from situations like this.

Last week I took my nephew out to ride his bike. He is still learning. But near the end of the session he rode without assistance for a good 15 minutes.

This week when I took him out he was falling down and it looked like all the progress he had made went away...should I just give up?

Of course not. Put him in enough of these situations and he will improve.

If the 76ers are in enough close games they will start to close a good deal of them out. You get better by learning and improving from your mistakes.

Another thing people seem to forget about these players that play professional sports. Say what you want about them but they for the most part are the best in the world at what they do. Only an elite number of them can actually lace up and play basketball in the NBA, and even they make mistakes. So imagine if you are the best in the world at doing something and you still make mistakes how hard and how fast the game must move. It is only through repetition and being in that situation over and over again do you get better.

Now I know the 76ers are not necessarily putting out the cream of the crop as far as NBA talent so imagine how hard it must be for them to adjust going against better talent night in and night out and now imagine how hard it must be to coach that situation.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,476

Post#300 » by GoSixersBro » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:06 pm

Can CPThree ever show his face again on RealGM after the world knows he was Googling how to clean up his semen from his mom's carpet on a Saturday night?
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016

Return to Philadelphia 76ers