ImageImageImage

Who has the best core of prospects in the NBA?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

mksp
Analyst
And1: 2,485

Re: Who has the best core of prospects in the NBA? 

Post#41 » by mksp » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:07 pm

76ciology wrote:When you talk about prospects, you talk about potential.

So, why wolves?

Wiggins can't create his shot. Embiid is much better and is a much better prospect to be a franchise player.

Then there's Noel who is better than any of their prospects not named Wiggins. Then both us and Wolves are fighting for that no.1 pick next year.

Then there's MCW, Saric, Wroten, KJ, Jerami and Heat's pick for next year. While after Wiggins, Wolves have flawed prospects like Lavine, Dieng, Bennett and Shabazz.

If we're gonna count MCW / Wroten / KJ / Noel then I think the Wolves get to count Lavine and Shabazz.

I would trade MCW for Lavine today.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#42 » by CoreyGallagher » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:58 pm

mksp wrote:I would trade MCW for Lavine today.

Based on potential and contract length, Lavine is legitimately like the worst player currently in the NBA. That gets minutes, at least, I should say.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#43 » by Agnostifarian » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:09 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:
mksp wrote:I would trade MCW for Lavine today.

Based on potential and contract length, Lavine is legitimately like the worst player currently in the NBA. That gets minutes, at least, I should say.

"Oh, but if he had quality NBA guys to play with..."
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#44 » by LloydFree » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:31 pm

mksp wrote:

So, why wolves?

Wiggins can't create his shot. Embiid is much better and is a much better prospect to be a franchise player.

Then there's Noel who is better than any of their prospects not named Wiggins. Then both us and Wolves are fighting for that no.1 pick next year.

Then there's MCW, Saric, Wroten, KJ, Jerami and Heat's pick for next year. While after Wiggins, Wolves have flawed prospects like Lavine, Dieng, Bennett and Shabazz.

If we're gonna count MCW / Wroten / KJ / Noel then I think the Wolves get to count Lavine and Shabazz.

Lavine can't play. I wouldn't trade anything of value for him. He's what Wroten was... Two years ago.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Agnostifarian
Veteran

Post#45 » by Agnostifarian » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:38 am

LloydFree wrote:
mksp wrote:

So, why wolves?

Lavine can't play. I wouldn't trade anything of value for him. He's what Wroten was... Two years ago.

I'm clear on how you feel about Zach. Do you like WCS?
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#46 » by LloydFree » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:53 am

Agnostifarian wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
mksp wrote:

I'm clear on how you feel about Zach. Do you like WCS?

LOL. Yeah, love Stein... as a late 1st round pick.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
42uptop
Starter
And1: 754

Post#47 » by 42uptop » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:19 am

LloydFree wrote:Favors and Haywood are both on their 2nd NBA contracts, with payouts totaling 100 million dollars. When do they get the moniker of "prospect" removed, and "league average veteran" applied?

Favors is 23 and Hayward 24. That is way too young to be considered a veteran. Both are still developing, and both are better than league average. Compare them to Dieng, who is on his rookie contract but already 25 years old.
I speak the truth.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#48 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:55 am

Derrick Favors born July 15, 1991

Michael Carter Williams born October 10, 1991

Also Favors has the #14 PER in the league and is a very good defender, I'd say he's above league average.
Agnostifarian
Veteran

Post#49 » by Agnostifarian » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:40 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Derrick Favors born July 15, 1991

Also Favors has the #14 PER in the league and is a very good defender, I'd say he's above league average.

It's pretty subjective trying to distinguish between a player who is still a "prospect" and one that "is developed but still young." Maybe this thread should focus on the team that has the "most cumulative rookie contract years under it's control." Philly would do well on this measure.

UTA is the poster child franchise for the DANGER FACING OUR REBUILD. They have been lottery bound for years without hitting on an all-NBA talent. Favors is an example of a very good player but not a franchise talent. UTA faces stiff competition in the Western Conference but they aren't even on the treadmill yet.

CLE has utterly and completely screwed up their draft despite uncanny luck with the ping pong balls. Not even the return of the King and a go for broke mentality that traded away the future for Kevin Love is any guarantee that they will even make the Finals this year.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#50 » by LloydFree » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:56 pm

42uptop wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Favors and Haywood are both on their 2nd NBA contracts, with payouts totaling 100 million dollars. When do they get the moniker of "prospect" removed, and "league average veteran" applied?

Favors is 23 and Hayward 24. That is way too young to be considered a veteran. Both are still developing, and both are better than league average. Compare them to Dieng, who is on his rookie contract but already 25 years old.

You play two full seasons in the league, you are no longer a prospect. You are a young veteran. Comparing their ages to MCW doesn't make the case. I wouldn't consider MCW a prospect either, by this time next year. And you are definitely not a prospect, once you've played out your rookie contract. The thread was about "prospects", not who has players under 25.
BlackKnight
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#51 » by BlackKnight » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:46 pm

1. TWolves - Dieng and Lavine are very solid pieces, but Wiggins is a potential franchise player, which the other teams don't have yet

2. Magic - They've got alot of pieces that could be great 2nd/3rd/4th options on contenders i.e. Vucevic, Oladipo, Harris, Payton, Gordon...but they still don't have that franchise player yet. Also, this is the 3rd year of their rebuild and they're still near the bottom of the league.

3. Jazz - They're pretty similar to the Magic in terms of talent level and they don't have a franchise player, but I don't see anyone on their team YET that could be a feasible 2nd option on a contender either (maybe Exum eventually)
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#52 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:50 pm

Agnostifarian wrote:

It's pretty subjective trying to distinguish between a player who is still a "prospect" and one that "is developed but still young." Maybe this thread should focus on the team that has the "most cumulative rookie contract years under it's control." Philly would do well on this measure.

UTA is the poster child franchise for the DANGER FACING OUR REBUILD. They have been lottery bound for years without hitting on an all-NBA talent. Favors is an example of a very good player but not a franchise talent. UTA faces stiff competition in the Western Conference but they aren't even on the treadmill yet.

CLE has utterly and completely screwed up their draft despite uncanny luck with the ping pong balls. Not even the return of the King and a go for broke mentality that traded away the future for Kevin Love is any guarantee that they will even make the Finals this year.

Before last year, the last time Utah lost more than 43 games was 2005. They had a winning record in 2013, made the playoffs in 2012.
Agnostifarian
Veteran

Post#53 » by Agnostifarian » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:21 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Agnostifarian wrote:

Before last year, the last time Utah lost more than 43 games was 2005. They had a winning record in 2013, made the playoffs in 2012.

UTA bores me in so many ways... Thank you for pointing this out. It changes my assessment of that team. They were on the treadmill. They fell off.
MountainDrew
Veteran
And1: 885

Post#54 » by MountainDrew » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:32 pm

Gotta be Minnesota right now, simply because Wiggins. None other team has that type of player, other than possibly us.
Trust the Process
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#55 » by snoopdogg88 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:56 pm

it's kind of a cop out answer, but it's hard to say.

If Minnesota wins the lottery and has Wiggins + Okafor. Then they are the obvious favorite
If the Sixers get Okafor, and have him, Embiid, Noel, Saric. It's a good problem, but it's a logjam and probably won't work.

I don't understand the GB's love for the Celtics prospects. Olynk, Sullinger? Meh
Agnostifarian
Veteran

Post#56 » by Agnostifarian » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:50 pm

snoopdogg88 wrote:it's kind of a cop out answer, but it's hard to say.

If Minnesota wins the lottery and has Wiggins + Okafor. Then they are the obvious favorite
If the Sixers get Okafor, and have him, Embiid, Noel, Saric. It's a good problem, but it's a logjam and probably won't work.

I don't understand the GB's love for the Celtics prospects. Olynk, Sullinger? Meh

I don't like their bigs. No rim protection. Nothing elite there. Smart, Young, ..., maybe that could be an above average backcourt in 4 yrs? IDK. If I were Ainge, I'd move both big men asap (Olynyk & Sully), if I could get first round picks. Ainge has so many draft picks, he can do a short Tank (2015) and go whole hog on FA in 2016.

Generally, Boston prospects are way over hyped and often lag expectations, especially Red Sox minor leaguers!!
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#57 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:40 am

mksp wrote:

So, why wolves?

Yeah count them in.

Embiid is still better than Wiggins.

Then aside from Wiggins, there's no prospect in their team that is better than Noel.

I mean, even if I set aside Noel and Saric. I think MCW, KJ McDaniels and Jerami Grant are more or less at par with Lavine, Shabazz and Bennett. (MCW vs Shabazz, Lavine vs KJ, Jerami vs Bennett) All are non-allstar caliber players so difference in subjective values should not be that much.

Then again, you get Saric and Noel. Then a way better franchise player potential in Embiid than Wiggins.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#58 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:51 am

Celtics. Who are their prospects? Olynyk, Sullinger and Banks? Probably my boy Evan Turner is the best among all of them. JK :D

Then those picks aren't likely to get them superstars. And this is a superstar league right?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
eliasrapp98
Assistant Coach
And1: 381

Who has the best core of prospects in the NBA? 

Post#59 » by eliasrapp98 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:58 pm

I think you guys would be way happier with this team if you thought of it like this...

Main Core:

Joel Embiid
2015 1st (Russell?)

Secondary Potential All-Stars:

Michael Carter-Williams
Nerlens Noel

Complimentary Starter:

Dario Saric

Role Players:

Robert Covington
KJ McDaniels
Tony Wroten
Jerami Grant
2015 MIA 1st

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
76ciology
RealGM

Post#60 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:36 pm

eliasrapp98 wrote:I think you guys would be way happier with this team if you thought of it like this...

Main Core:

Joel Embiid
2015 1st (Russell?)

Secondary Potential All-Stars:

Michael Carter-Williams
Nerlens Noel

Complimentary Starter:

Dario Saric

Role Players:

Robert Covington
KJ McDaniels
Tony Wroten
Jerami Grant
2015 MIA 1st

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Honestly, I see MCW and Noel as Rox' version of Lin and Asik. Expendable role players.

IMO..

Big Three:
Biid
2015 draft
2016 draft or Max FA (can be had thru cap space or with Noel+MCW type deal similar to how Rox got Harden)

Role Players:
Noel
MCW
KJ
Wroten
Jerami
2015 1st
2nd rounders

Return to Philadelphia 76ers