Boy, Andrew Sharp really doesn't like you guys

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Mad Guru
Sixth Man
And1: 334

Boy, Andrew Sharp really doesn't like you guys 

Post#1 » by Mad Guru » Tue Mar 3, 2015 9:55 pm

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/life- ... he-sixers/

The dumbest, most emotional reactions actually work in the team’s favor. All of it insulates the Sixers against any legitimate skepticism. Anyone who doubts this plan must be a fool, because look at all the other fools doubting this plan!

That’s my real problem with what the team is doing. It’s not the plan that’s been unbearable, it’s the cult of Sixers fans and media members who insist on mocking the skeptics while they marvel at Philly’s brilliance. The NBA system incentivizes losing, they say. Lose to win. Here’s a GM who’s smart enough to exploit the system for as many chances as possible.

I get it. I really do. The only thing wrong with what Philly’s doing are the people who think it’s some profound approach to basketball philosophy. Just because something is counterintuitive doesn’t make it more intuitive.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Re: Boy, Andrew Sharp really doesn't like you guys 

Post#2 » by MRxBLACK » Tue Mar 3, 2015 9:58 pm

Yawn
ESPN Sucks
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,713

Post#3 » by phillynative » Tue Mar 3, 2015 10:01 pm

Blah blah blah

where's the joel embiid workout clips again?
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,713

Post#4 » by 76thBearCub » Tue Mar 3, 2015 10:01 pm

Ahh man. Off to cut myself.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,773

Post#5 » by Skates » Tue Mar 3, 2015 10:07 pm

Isn't Sharp a big Celtics fan? Agreed, yawn, whatever.
Mad Guru
Sixth Man
And1: 334

Post#6 » by Mad Guru » Tue Mar 3, 2015 10:10 pm

Skates wrote:Isn't Sharp a big Celtics fan? Agreed, yawn, whatever.

Wizards I believe
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#7 » by Kobblehead » Tue Mar 3, 2015 10:10 pm

There was no point, thesis, or definitive statement to be made by this article.

It seems like this guy just wanted to jump in and join the polarizing topic of what the Sixers are doing. Except he really didn't have anything to say.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#8 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Mar 3, 2015 10:13 pm

Its been criticized, but its an outside the box approach at attempting to build a competitive team and going against the grain of typical NBA mediocrity.We got so much crap for last season, yet we weren't even the worst team in the league. I didn't see articles bashing Milwaukee for losing all those games.

Hinkie and our management have essentially said we refuse to play the hand that was dealt to try and break even, they will continue to fold until they get a hand worth playing to go after the jackpot.

The NBA is a star driven, players league. Until you get one, your best case is running on the treadmill of mediocrity making the playoffs as a 6-8 seed and getting bounced in a round or 2. They have essentially decided that it makes 0 sense to over spend money on average-slightly above average players just to win a few games and have no shot at legitimate title contention. Stars are found via the draft,trade or free agency(rarely)....everything Hinkie and co are doing is setting them up to have the ammo in the gun to fire when the opportunity arises.

We will have multiple 1st rounders in consecutive drafts and several future picks, if none of them become a star, we have max cap space to accommodate any type of disgruntled star looking to team up with another star somewhere and we also will have a ton of young players on rookie deals and future picks to throw in to sweeten any type of trade opportunity that arises.

While it can be tough to watch at times, I applaud them for at least taking a stand and saying "mediocre isn't good enough".
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#9 » by James40 » Tue Mar 3, 2015 10:19 pm

The only thing I learned in that article was Joel Embiids tweet, which I'm guessing happened at the trade deadline, other than that lots of nothing, as usual.
Until the Sixers put a team together that tries to win as many games as possible, no one knows how it's going to turn out. I'm not expecting that until, 2016-2017.
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#10 » by cksdayoff » Tue Mar 3, 2015 10:21 pm

the hate the Sixers are getting just doesn't make any sense. Hasn't even been 2 years into the rebuild, and people are going apesht over the way Hinkie is trying to build this franchise back up again.

It's like the Bynum catastrophe never happened with these media people. That trade set the franchise back several years, a trade that people like Mr. Sharp probably approved of. Hinkie came in and cleaned up the mess left by the previous regime while acquiring a ton of 1st and 2nd round draft picks while building a potentially dominant front court. The rebuild hasn't been 2 years yet, but realgm and basketball 'experts' like Sharp make it seem like the Sixers have been rebuilding for the past 5 years.
#failforfultz
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#11 » by Kobblehead » Tue Mar 3, 2015 10:44 pm

I wonder if the dreadful tailspin the Wizards are going through right now put this guy in such a dark place, mentally, that he felt the urge to lash out at us.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#12 » by LloydFree » Tue Mar 3, 2015 10:47 pm

:lol: I guess it would feel better if Andrew Sharp liked the 76ers and they still had Evan Turner, Arnette Moultrie and no 1st round picks. I feel terrible, now that I know Andrew Sharp hates the 76ers with Joel Embiid and five 1st round picks the next two years. It Hurts.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant
And1: 483

Post#13 » by ZarcMumoff » Tue Mar 3, 2015 10:48 pm

Sharp use to live with the editor of Liberty Ballers. You'd think he'd have a better grasp on what the Sixers are doing.
DavidHume
Junior
And1: 122

Post#14 » by DavidHume » Tue Mar 3, 2015 10:50 pm

Sharp is just one more person who makes the mistake of asserting that tanking is the only aspect of the Sixers' plan. Anyone who has actually been paying attention knows that 4 of the Sixers' future first-round draft picks plus Noel and Saric were acquired via trades, and as such are not contingent upon tanking. Thus, Sharp's premise that the Sixers' plan corresponds directly to tanking strategies that other teams have tried before is simply false.
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#15 » by wickedwrister » Tue Mar 3, 2015 11:04 pm

Said this in the thread on this in the main board but it comes down to the fact that what the Sixers are doing is interesting and debatable. It leads to lots of articles and internet flame wars. How many franchises are more fun to discuss and debate about right now? They are putting a bad product on the court and yet still one of the top 5-10 intriguing franchises in the NBA right now.

The hot takes and passive aggressive articles are going to continue until there are positive results on the court or Hinkie gets fired. We should just take turns tagging in and out of those threads on the GB. They are always fun to start and then get exhausting about 6-7 pages in when the discussion loops back around to where it started.
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
Dooberstein
Freshman
And1: 19

Post#16 » by Dooberstein » Tue Mar 3, 2015 11:46 pm

Why do teams play? Ultimately to win a championship. Of the 30 teams how many have won a championship since 2000? 6 teams have won a championship since 2000. So i guess the other 23 teams outside of the Sixers who haven't won a championship in that timespan are building teams the "right" way.

Even if this plan doesn't workout it is still worth the while because only 6 teams have been able to win a championship since 2000, so why the **** not give it a go.

All about that tank life buddy.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,042

Post#17 » by Sixerscan » Tue Mar 3, 2015 11:58 pm

The guy is hedging

This is what Hinkie built his career on, and it’s why you’d have to be insane to bet against him eventually winning in Philadelphia. He will keep working to find stars, he’ll discover great role players like Covington, and he’ll put together a team that’s much better and a lot more fun than the Jrue Holiday–Thad Young roster he inherited. The Sixers’ plan may be stupid, but Hinkie is almost certainly very, very smart.
sixersblue
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#18 » by sixersblue » Wed Mar 4, 2015 12:10 am

Not even care
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,742

Post#19 » by Sixersftw » Wed Mar 4, 2015 12:49 am

This is Michael Levin's old roommate. Levin and Spike troll this guy weekly, I'm pretty sure this is just some retrolling.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#20 » by Winejk » Wed Mar 4, 2015 12:50 am

That was possibly the worst article I've read by Grantland.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers