Welcome Okafor

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

leorautins
Freshman
And1: 31

Re: Welcome Okafor 

Post#901 » by leorautins » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:42 pm

USWAY wrote:https://instagram.com/p/6qUhXRAdRw/

He's looking to be in pretty good shape these days.

Nice. But where did his ass go? He's gonna need the cushion for the in-the-paint pushing.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,712

Post#902 » by the_process » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:50 pm

Jah looks lean, like a dude who did a whole lot of wind sprints and sit ups even since summer league lean. It's pretty clear the kid has a good work ethic. I fully expect his cardio to be up and ready for camp.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Post#903 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:16 pm

oyoyer wrote:Jah looks lean, like a dude who did a whole lot of wind sprints and sit ups even since summer league lean. It's pretty clear the kid has a good work ethic. I fully expect his cardio to be up and ready for camp.

I'm not convinced of this, but I am definitely liking his attitude.

Seems like it is easy to get to the gym, shoot, lift, shoot, run some maybe, shoot, lift, shoot. The sprint stop sprint of real game play being something you pick up as it happens and you get adjusted (or when camp opens and coach starts making you run those damn drills).
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#904 » by MRxBLACK » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:56 pm

The more studies I read, the less optimistic I get about the Okafor at C / Noel at PF experiment they're going to put out there this year. One of the hidden benefits of having an elite rim protector like Noel killing people at the rim is they also decrease opposing teams three point attempts.
Elite rim protectors, by virtue of their deterrence factor, push the ball away from the paint. That also means that the perimeter defenders have an easier job because there is a safety net behind them. They can play closer to the three-point line, making it easier to contest three-point shots.

http://www.vantagesports.com/story/Vc5YzhwAAB8A270X/elite-rim-protectors-and-negative-gravity
(Noel is the blue Liberty Bell in the top right quadrant)
ESPN Sucks
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,907

Post#905 » by Wilfried » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:57 am

If Okafor could develop a decent midrange jumper (which I think he already has), wouldn't it be more realistic to use Okafor as a 4 and Noel at the 5?

In defense, they can switch. But on the offensive end, Noel at the 4 just seems not OK, it would handicap our offense I'm afraid.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,525

Post#906 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:04 pm

Wilfried wrote:If Okafor could develop a decent midrange jumper (which I think he already has), wouldn't it be more realistic to use Okafor as a 4 and Noel at the 5?

In defense, they can switch. But on the offensive end, Noel at the 4 just seems not OK, it would handicap our offense I'm afraid.

He didn't have a decent mid range jumper in college, or show one in summer league.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,510

Post#907 » by 76ciology » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:19 am

MRxBLACK wrote:The more studies I read, the less optimistic I get about the Okafor at C / Noel at PF experiment they're going to put out there this year. One of the hidden benefits of having an elite rim protector like Noel killing people at the rim is they also decrease opposing teams three point attempts.
Elite rim protectors, by virtue of their deterrence factor, push the ball away from the paint. That also means that the perimeter defenders have an easier job because there is a safety net behind them. They can play closer to the three-point line, making it easier to contest three-point shots.

http://www.vantagesports.com/story/Vc5YzhwAAB8A270X/elite-rim-protectors-and-negative-gravity
(Noel is the blue Liberty Bell in the top right quadrant)

Most offense revolves around PnR between PG and PF. Noel and our PG will be asked to move their feet and get out to the perimeter to defend PnR. Jahlil most of the time will at the paint with his arms straight up to be our rim protector. There's also Jerami Grant who can provide help defense from the weakide.

Defensively, I don't think it will be that much of a problem as long as we have one big who can step outside and defend PnRs while the other having the length to be a rim protector. The bigger problem IMO is at the offensive end, where you will have spacing issues and some ball/player movement issues for now, thought it can be developed since both Jah/Noel is not that bad of a ball handler and passer.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ET Da Gawd
Sixth Man
And1: 367

Post#908 » by ET Da Gawd » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:32 pm

leorautins wrote:
USWAY wrote:https://instagram.com/p/6qUhXRAdRw/

He's looking to be in pretty good shape these days.

Nice. But where did his ass go? He's gonna need the cushion for the in-the-paint pushing.

pause breh [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBLrSz0oNvs[/youtube]
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,859

Post#909 » by Phila Tough » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:23 am

Ready for this thread to get active again. Does anybody believe that Jahlil's lack of natural athletic ability will hinder him from becoming a superstar?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#910 » by 76ciology » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:56 am

Phila Tough wrote:Ready for this thread to get active again. Does anybody believe that Jahlil's lack of natural athletic ability will hinder him from becoming a superstar?

Elite skillset can compensate for lack of elite athleticism. For instance, LMA isn't that athletic but is a star caliber PF.

I really think he's an elite sized PF than a center. That also explains his skillset, size and defense. It's just he's not that quick to defend modern PFs, and we're lucky we have a rail thin but freakishly quick and athletic player in Nerlens.

Superstar. You become one if you can be dominant. And from what I've seen in college and against guys like Upshaw (elite length and athleticism at C), Jah can be a dominant big on offense while he isn't that bad on defense (performance against the Lakers).
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#911 » by Agnostifarian » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:34 pm

BUMP
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#912 » by MRxBLACK » Thu Oct 1, 2015 12:19 am

We didn't get Towns?! ****.
ESPN Sucks
ET Da Gawd
Sixth Man
And1: 367

Post#913 » by ET Da Gawd » Thu Oct 1, 2015 1:14 am

76ciology wrote:
Phila Tough wrote:Ready for this thread to get active again. Does anybody believe that Jahlil's lack of natural athletic ability will hinder him from becoming a superstar?

Elite skillset can compensate for lack of elite athleticism. For instance, LMA isn't that athletic but is a star caliber PF.

I really think he's an elite sized PF than a center. That also explains his skillset, size and defense. It's just he's not that quick to defend modern PFs, and we're lucky we have a rail thin but freakishly quick and athletic player in Nerlens.

Superstar. You become one if you can be dominant. And from what I've seen in college and against guys like Upshaw (elite length and athleticism at C), Jah can be a dominant big on offense while he isn't that bad on defense (performance against the Lakers).

Skill >> Athleticism, vertical jump doesnt get buckets...Jahs gonna be a beast
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,712

Post#914 » by the_process » Thu Oct 1, 2015 1:53 am

But hops is how you dunk, which is still the most efficient shot in the game. Still, Okafor does have that old man game that should go over well in a league that has no idea what that is anymore. And Noel can do a lot of coverage on defense for him. I mean, playing the 4 doesn't stop Serge Ibaka from being an elite rim protector, does it? It will be fun to watch Okafor and Noel learn to play together.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,859

Post#915 » by Phila Tough » Thu Oct 1, 2015 2:33 am

MRxBLACK wrote:We didn't get Wiggins?! ****.

:P
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#916 » by Ericb5 » Thu Oct 1, 2015 3:12 am

oyoyer wrote:But hops is how you dunk, which is still the most efficient shot in the game. Still, Okafor does have that old man game that should go over well in a league that has no idea what that is anymore. And Noel can do a lot of coverage on defense for him. I mean, playing the 4 doesn't stop Serge Ibaka from being an elite rim protector, does it? It will be fun to watch Okafor and Noel learn to play together.

Okafor isn't much of a run/jump athlete, but he moves well and has control of his body. He also has great size, strength and hands. He has that Charles Barkley type of butt and lower center of gravity where he can lean into you and move you.

Then his skill level is off the charts. He is so skilled that he will definitely be able to dominate on offense with his level of athleticism, and I think that he will at least be an average defender, with potential to be a notch or two better than that.

His lack of quickness and defensive instincts will only hold him back defensively imo. Offensively he won't be limited at all physically.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
76ciology
RealGM

Post#917 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 1, 2015 6:41 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVd2z2IjOEs[/youtube]
fat?
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#918 » by Ericb5 » Thu Oct 1, 2015 8:47 am

76ciology wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVd2z2IjOEs[/youtube]
fat?

Nice find.

His body is improving over the last few years, and he is obviously not fat.

I don't want him losing any more weight, or at least not much. If he is 270-275 now then I think that he should stay in that range.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#919 » by Agnostifarian » Thu Oct 1, 2015 2:09 pm

Jahlil is going to wear defenders down over the course of the game. Imagine the strength he will have in a few more years when he's fully grown. The term "beast" is way over used. It should be reserved for guys like Jah.
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#920 » by Ericb5 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 8:41 pm

Let's all take a moment to recognize what we think about Okafor today, before the whining starts. He is bound to struggle at times, and maybe often, and we will start seeing posts about how bad he is now that the games are starting.

Let's remember the nervous nellies that were freaking out about Noel's slow start last year, and how much better he got as the season wore on.

Okafor isn't a God. He is a 19 year old kid that is going to have to make adjustments to compete with people of similar size and strength. He is going to have to learn how to not get his shot blocked. He is going to have poor point guard play most likely. He may not have good space to operate down low due to Noel not being a spacer, etc...

He isn't going to be as good as Tim Duncan was as a rookie. He has only played one season of college basketball.

I have high hopes for him, and expect him to challenge for the rookie of the year, but if and when he struggles let's try to keep from freaking out.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers