Welcome Okafor

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,859

Re: Welcome Okafor 

Post#861 » by Phila Tough » Tue Aug 4, 2015 8:24 pm

kriss73 wrote:
Phila Tough wrote:Has any team ever had a top 3 rookie (by votes) 3 years in a row?

Sonics/OKC maybe?

A possibility. I am just curious to know because the general consensus amongst some other fans are that we are whiffing on our picks with nothing to show for it.
76ers 2020
Senior
And1: 341

Post#862 » by 76ers 2020 » Tue Aug 4, 2015 9:19 pm

BNelley24 wrote:Predict Okafor & Noel's 2015-16 Statline. I'll start.

Nerlens Noel: 12.5 PPG - 9.2 RPG - 1.8 APG - 2.4 BPG
Jahlil Okafor: 14.4 PPG - 7.1 RPG - 1 APG - 1.0 BPG

Though call. Just not sure where Noel fits in offensively with this team. I would be disappointed in our shooters if Okafor is getting only 1 assist a game. Your numbers don't look all that unreasonable I suppose. What about shooting percentages? I'll be more interested in that this year.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#863 » by kriss73 » Tue Aug 4, 2015 9:27 pm

Phila Tough wrote:
kriss73 wrote:
Phila Tough wrote:Has any team ever had a top 3 rookie (by votes) 3 years in a row?

Sonics/OKC maybe?

A possibility. I am just curious to know because the general consensus amongst some other fans are that we are whiffing on our picks with nothing to show for it.

Because we trade MCW and th 2014 is a no show till now, imho.
So everything else fades.
It's mostly narrative but often narrative is more attractive than reality
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#864 » by MRxBLACK » Tue Aug 4, 2015 11:37 pm

TrustTheProcess wrote:Noel: 11.8 PPG - 9.4 RPG - 1.3 APG - 2.2 BPG - 2.0 SPG
Okafor: 16.7 PPG - 7.8 RPG - 2.1 APG - 1.1 BPG - 0.9 SPG

Looks pretty much what I would predict except for Noel's assists. He averaged 1.7 last year and the team has more shooting this year and a legit offensive weapon in Okafor, so I would bump that up to around 2.0/game.

Shooting percentages I will go 48% FGs and 66% FTs for Noel, 54% FGs and 55% FTs for Okafor.
ESPN Sucks
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#865 » by sixerswillrule » Tue Aug 4, 2015 11:50 pm

MRxBLACK wrote:

Looks pretty much what I would predict except for Noel's assists. He averaged 1.7 last year and the team has more shooting this year and a legit offensive weapon in Okafor, so I would bump that up to around 2.0/game.

Shooting percentages I will go 48% FGs and 66% FTs for Noel, 54% FGs and 55% FTs for Okafor.

I'd be very pleasantly surprised if Okafor shot 54%. I know he shot really high % in college but there probably will be some adjusting in the NBA, so I would guess around 48-50%.

Also here's a list of the rookies who averaged at least 15 points on 53% shooting.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach

Post#866 » by MRxBLACK » Wed Aug 5, 2015 12:01 am

sixerswillrule wrote:
MRxBLACK wrote:

I'd be very pleasantly surprised if Okafor shot 48%. I know he shot really high % in college but there probably will be some adjusting in the NBA, so I would guess around 48-50%.

Also here's a list of the rookies who averaged at least 15 points on 53% shooting.

I actually have 54% FGs for Okafor. I'm expecting him to join elite offensive rookie company. 66% FGs for an ACC player on the type of usage he had in college is insane. We should expect him to join the company of other great rookie season offensive performances.
ESPN Sucks
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#867 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Aug 5, 2015 12:15 am

MRxBLACK wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
MRxBLACK wrote:Looks pretty much what I would predict except for Noel's assists. He averaged 1.7 last year and the team has more shooting this year and a legit offensive weapon in Okafor, so I would bump that up to around 2.0/game.

I'd be very pleasantly surprised if Okafor shot 48%. I know he shot really high % in college but there probably will be some adjusting in the NBA, so I would guess around 48-50%.

I actually have 54% FGs for Okafor. I'm expecting him to join elite offensive rookie company. 66% FGs for an ACC player on the type of usage he had in college is insane. We should expect him to join the company of other great rookie season offensive performances.

Yeah I've got him at 48-50%, meant to say I'd be very pleasantly surprised if he shot 54%.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach

Post#868 » by MRxBLACK » Wed Aug 5, 2015 12:25 am

sixerswillrule wrote:Yeah I've got him at 48-50%, meant to say I'd be very pleasantly surprised if he shot 54%.

Oh I see, I would be fine with that as well. Check out what Carlos Boozer did in college and what he did his rookie season. I could see Jah easily surpassing CB's points and having a similar FG%.
ESPN Sucks
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,529

Post#869 » by 76ciology » Wed Aug 5, 2015 7:34 am

Jah @ 15ppg .450FG% 7rpg .8bpg..
My scoring (pts and FG%) and blocks number reference are similar to DMC.

Nerlens @ 11ppg .440FG% 9rpg 2.0spg 2.5bpg
Offensively, I think Nerlens will have a tough time without Ish, then I also expect him to shoot more jumpers with Jah so his FG% might take some hit. But I expect him to improve with his defensive numbers with more responsibilities, better techniques and getting stronger to get more boards.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#870 » by 76ciology » Wed Aug 5, 2015 7:51 am

My future projection for both Nerlens and Jah is like a poorman's version of Jordan/Griffin.

Okafor's best case is a longer blake griffin (Jah having 6" advantage in standing reach) but with the athleticism and mobility of Boris Diaw.

Like Griffin, Okafor's got really good ball handling skills for his size, also is a good passer, has a developing mid range game and is a very skilled player. I do think that with BB's experience (TD transforming to a fast paced and PnR inclined offense) and Hinkie's analytics (low post being inefficient offense), he won't let Jah settle to be a mere post player.

We actually were training jah to get into some PnR situations during summer league. Jah emphasized that he was learning how to set screens. I think Jah can be a lethal PnR player with his size to set screens, his hands, triple threat potential and knows how to use angles.

So offensively, he can either attack you off the post, off the dribble or face up to shoot jumpers and off PnR. Defensively, he can get you atleast a block per game thanks to his standing reach and wingspan. Jah will not attack you with his size, because there are far more bigger and more athletic defenders in the game. But he will attack you with his combination of length, mobility and skillset.

Nerlens on the other hand is the anchor of our defense and has the elite athleticism and quickness to get easy baskets similar to DeAndre.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
tsmith
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#871 » by tsmith » Wed Aug 5, 2015 8:12 am

76ciology wrote:My future projection for both Nerlens and Jah is like a poorman's version of Jordan/Griffin.

Okafor's best case is a longer blake griffin (Jah having 6" advantage in standing reach) but with the athleticism and mobility of Boris Diaw.

An okafor and griffin comparison is horrible
76ciology
RealGM

Post#872 » by 76ciology » Wed Aug 5, 2015 8:15 am

t_smith979 wrote:
76ciology wrote:My future projection for both Nerlens and Jah is like a poorman's version of Jordan/Griffin.

An okafor and griffin comparison is horrible

Yup, I can see that because Blake is synonymous to athleticism. I'm referring more to their skillset and mobility. Good hands & good finisher around the rim. Ability to attack off the dribble, off the post and face up. A good offensive player but average at best defensive player.
BoomBap
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#873 » by BoomBap » Wed Aug 5, 2015 3:27 pm

noel is already better than DAJ...on both sides of the court.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#874 » by 76ciology » Wed Aug 5, 2015 3:31 pm

Notice how much attention he can draw.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/maxrappaport/status/628933397902172161[/tweet]
Phila Tough
Head Coach

Post#875 » by Phila Tough » Wed Aug 5, 2015 3:49 pm

BoomBap wrote:noel is already better than DAJ...on both sides of the court.

No he is not.
TrustTheProcess
Freshman
And1: 22

Post#876 » by TrustTheProcess » Wed Aug 5, 2015 4:08 pm

Phila Tough wrote:

No he is not.

you can argue that he has more upside, especially given his attitude and ability to improve 15% on his FT's since his season at Kentucky, but he is most definitely not better right now.
joyeuxnoel
Bench Warmer
And1: 699

Post#877 » by joyeuxnoel » Wed Aug 5, 2015 5:07 pm

Phila Tough wrote:

No he is not.

he has much higher upside than DAJ. DAJ has no offensive game, if it wasnt for cp3 giving him open looks at the basket then he'd be a strictly defensive player

NN will surpass DAJ this season
Embiid-Simmons-Covington

Fire Colangelo
Phila Tough
Head Coach

Post#878 » by Phila Tough » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:39 pm

joyeuxnoel wrote:
Phila Tough wrote:

No he is not.

he has much higher upside than DAJ. DAJ has no offensive game, if it wasnt for cp3 giving him open looks at the basket then he'd be a strictly defensive player

NN will surpass DAJ this season

Another bold and unlikely claim. DAJ isn't exactly baby milk young, but he is only 27 years old; he will continue to improve. Although like most Sixers fans I expect and hope Noel to be better than DAJ in the future, DAJ is one of the better centers in the league. Who cares if CP3 is feeding him a lot of points? Look at the what Ish did for Noel.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#879 » by CoreyGallagher » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:51 pm

DAJ is the better player, he plays within himself and does so at a high level, however consequently Noel may already be more versatile. Better defender, I'd give the benefit of the doubt to Jordan, but I won't explicitly acknowledge him as being so.

CP3 dishing to 7 year veteran DAJ, Ish Smith dishing to rookie Noel, difference.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach

Post#880 » by MRxBLACK » Wed Aug 5, 2015 7:02 pm

Nah, DAJ has been a very good player the past two years and is better than Noel currently. Noel should surpass him though. Noel's rookie season is vastly superior to DAJ's 1st AND 2nd year performance based on advanced stats like BPM, VORP, and Win Shares.

Jordan took until really his 6th year to make a big impact. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordade01.html
ESPN Sucks

Return to Philadelphia 76ers