ImageImageImage

2016 NBA Draft/College Basketball Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Re: 2016 NBA Draft/College Basketball Thread 

Post#201 » by Ericb5 » Fri Sep 4, 2015 4:48 pm

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:I think Simmons could be a ideal point guard for our team especially with his size and skill ser. The way our team is build inside out its important to have a pg who can deliver crisp entry passes to our post players more so than a slashing point who can get whereever he wants. Simmons will tear teams a new ass in transition ala Magic did in the 80's . We have very mobile big men who would reap the benefit in transition too. I like the idea of building a oversized athletic team in which can counter the new wave of small ball and gun slinging shooting guards playing point guard.

Well, I would be happy to be convinced that Simmons can play the point, but I'm not convinced yet. I have hardly seen him play so I am admittedly uninformed on him at this point.

I am a big believer though in the idea that point guards are born and not made. Just because someone has the talent to handle the job doesn't mean that it is good enough for the team as a whole.

This is why I never was thrilled with the idea of D' Angelo Russell playing the point for us.

The absolute must have things in a point guard for me are penetration, and a point guard's mentality.

Iverson clearly had all of the skills to play the position, but he didn't have the mentality, and I don't want to be shoehorning people into that role, especially given the fact that we have all of these front court players that need the ball in the right spots for them to have maximum effectiveness.

If people think that Simmons is Magic then I'm all for it, but if he is Lebron then I am totally against it. Again, draft him for sure if he is the best player, but don't plan on playing him at the point.

It would hurt him because he would lose the benefit of having a point guard that would set him up, and it would hurt the team because he wouldn't be setting up the other players well enough imo.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
KramerDSP
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#202 » by KramerDSP » Wed Sep 9, 2015 5:39 pm

Tankathon is now updated for the 2015-2016 season and includes the swaps with Sacramento.
"I don’t wanna be Jordan, I don’t wanna be Magic, I don’t wanna be Bird or Isiah. I don’t wanna be any of those guys. When my career’s over, I''m gonna look in the mirror and say I did it my way.”- Allen Iverson
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Post#203 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:11 pm

KramerDSP wrote:Tankathon is now updated for the 2015-2016 season and includes the swaps with Sacramento.

I hit sim once, and Sac went 1st (flipped to Philly) with the Lakers at 5.
oddwolfhooligan
Sophomore
And1: 83

Post#204 » by oddwolfhooligan » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:08 am

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:Ben Simmons maybe able to play Point guard in the nba with his skill set , athleticism and quickness. Hinkie mentions building something special. Well a 6'9 point is a special as it gets.

You are what you can defend and Simmons' lateral quickness isn't even close to good enough to defend PGs. Hell, it's debatable whether or not he's even laterally quick enough to defend athletic 3s at a high level.

The NBA is getting smaller and there are going to be far more cases of 3s getting minutes at the 4 than 4s getting minutes at the 3. Considering Simmons is 6'10 and lacking in elite athleticism for a wing, it's a bit foolish to not expect him to get a lot of minutes as a face up 4.
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Post#205 » by SparksFly87 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 5:06 pm

Who are the potential star gems in this years draft who possess the surefire , Top 5 talent and sizes that could be franchise changing players for us ?
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#206 » by MRxBLACK » Mon Oct 5, 2015 9:35 pm

SparksFly87 wrote:Who are the potential star gems in this years draft who possess the surefire , Top 5 talent and sizes that could be franchise changing players for us ?

Ingram and Simmons look like the top ones to me right now.
ESPN Sucks
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#207 » by No-Man » Mon Oct 5, 2015 11:26 pm

Bender is at the top, then the rest
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#208 » by MRxBLACK » Tue Oct 6, 2015 12:25 am

Fischella wrote:Bender is at the top, then the rest

Seems like a great talent, but that contact situation will knock him down. Looks like a team will have to wait 2 or 3 years for him.
ESPN Sucks
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#209 » by Von Bismarck » Tue Oct 6, 2015 12:32 am

MRxBLACK wrote:
Fischella wrote:Bender is at the top, then the rest

Seems like a great talent, but that contact situation will knock him down. Looks like a team will have to wait 2 or 3 years for him.

He hasn't got any 'contract situation'. He has NBA buyout clause, his mentor from Maccabi, Vujcic, indirectly confirmed it.

There's absolutely no way (unless some nasty injury stops him) he doesn't go TOP 3. You rarely see 216cm guy that can play at 3 and at the same time to have such handles, court vision, good post game and good shooting.

I wouldn't be surprise if he goes first in front of Simmons and Ingram. If he was in the States, I would bet on that. What's even more intersting, he's a 1,5yrs younger than Simmons. He would be in his senior HS year now :D
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#210 » by Unbreakable99 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 2:12 am

Can Bender play the 3? I ask because should we draft him then it probably means Saric will be traded. Just not enough room for Noel Okafor Embiid Saric and Bender. Bender is supposed to be a better prospect. He's 7'1 and from what I read he's a better defender. I would prefer we don't draft another big man or PF but if Bender is as good as everyone says he is then we have to take him don't we? So can Bender play the 3 and guard 3's?
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#211 » by Foshan » Tue Oct 6, 2015 2:43 am

PG: Dario
SG: Bender
SF: Noel
PF: Embiid
C: Okafor

I dig it. :/
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Post#212 » by SparksFly87 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 3:14 pm

If the 76ers blue print is indeed building a team of twin towers it is best to draft in the future according to fit . I have narrowed down players I believe fit our teams scheme in the top 10 who could be stars .

1. Skal - He is younger and a better PF prospect than Noel . His athleticism and shooting touch is tremendous.
2. Ben Simmons - I see his highest upside playing the 1 exclusively in a Magic Johnson-Lebron type role for our team . If he develops a 3pt shot he would be a sure fire number one target and center piece. Thinking a 6'10 Kendal Marshall.
3. Brandon Ingram- A super athletic and super lengthy smallforward who projects to be a deadly scorer and lock down defender is exactly what we need on the wings. Thinking A Kevin Durant-lite who knows his limits.
4. Jaylen Brown- Super athletic wing who can do everything well - Promising outside shooter. A prime Jason Richardson type Shooting Guard.
5. Murray- A flat out talented and versatile perimeter playmaker- Knows his role and will make you pay for doubling in the post. Brandon Roy is back.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#213 » by No-Man » Wed Oct 7, 2015 8:42 am

Unbreakable99 wrote:Can Bender play the 3? I ask because should we draft him then it probably means Saric will be traded. Just not enough room for Noel Okafor Embiid Saric and Bender. Bender is supposed to be a better prospect. He's 7'1 and from what I read he's a better defender. I would prefer we don't draft another big man or PF but if Bender is as good as everyone says he is then we have to take him don't we? So can Bender play the 3 and guard 3's?

I think he can if you have the right front-court mates, with Noel and Okafor... I am not so sure though.
He is like a AK47/Pau mix, less of a vertical athlete, he could evolve as a big completely or keep his versatilty, he is still 17 so he has long ways to go physically.
He is a bit like Kawhi in terms of how dominant defensively he can be.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#214 » by No-Man » Wed Oct 7, 2015 8:45 am

SparksFly87 wrote:2. Ben Simmons - I see his highest upside playing the 1 exclusively in a Magic Johnson-Lebron type role for our team . If he develops a 3pt shot he would be a sure fire number one target and center piece. Thinking a 6'10 Kendal Marshall.

LOL
Simmons is not a guy that can defend PG, and he wont find enough space or beat G off the dribble if he plays outside, he needs to play PF to have speed advantage against his defender, he is going to play a ton of Center for LSU, like Jabari did at Duke.
He is a terrific prospect, but he is a PF, maybe could play the SF with the right frontcourt mate, floor spacer, can switch and defend the perimeter, etc, think about Turkoglu and RLewis for Orlando, for example.
Dell
Junior
And1: 80

Post#215 » by Dell » Wed Oct 7, 2015 1:35 pm

I agree, Simmons isn't a point guard. He's a sensational prospect, he's just not a point guard. I don't think he's going to have any problem playing the 3 in the NBA. He's already athletic enough and with his work ethic the jump shot will come in time. You don't pass on that guy. It would be a treat watching him and Dario playing together at forward. Two very skilled do-it-all players.
ET Da Gawd
Sixth Man
And1: 367

Post#216 » by ET Da Gawd » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:59 pm

Simmons is obvs a sg/sf for us
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,525

Post#217 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:07 pm

ET Da Gawd wrote:Simmons is obvs a sg/sf for us

Play him at pg.

Simmons/Durant/Noel/Okafor/Embiid.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#218 » by Kolkmania » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:10 pm

I am intrigued by the skill set of Simmons in combination with his length. But is it translatable to the NBA? He's not a tremendous athlete and certainly not capable to defend quick guards. Perhaps a point forward is his best position on offense, but that requires an offense built around him.

Developing a 3 pointer is crucial for him in my opinion. With his court vision, passing abilities and decision making he would thrive in an offense with ball movement like the Hawks or Spurs at the 4. But is a player that dependent of the offensive motion worth a top 3 pick? I am not sure.

Skal, Bender and Ingram is my projected top 3.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#219 » by Kobblehead » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:41 pm

I just want to see these guys on the court, already. Tired of speculating and reading analysis off of highschool highlight film.
Dell
Junior
And1: 80

Post#220 » by Dell » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:03 pm

Kolkmania wrote:I am intrigued by the skill set of Simmons in combination with his length. But is it translatable to the NBA? He's not a tremendous athlete and certainly not capable to defend quick guards. Perhaps a point forward is his best position on offense, but that requires an offense built around him.

Developing a 3 pointer is crucial for him in my opinion. With his court vision, passing abilities and decision making he would thrive in an offense with ball movement like the Hawks or Spurs at the 4. But is a player that dependent of the offensive motion worth a top 3 pick? I am not sure.

Skal, Bender and Ingram is my projected top 3.

Please don't take this as a knock or anything like that, it isn't. You just said something that being perpetuated to the point where people believe it's becoming fact and that's the notion that Ben Simmons lacks elite athleticism. Simply not true, Simmons is a bigtime athlete. Maybe it's because he's more smooth than sudden and people mistake that as a knock on his athleticism.

At the recent LSU combine, Simmons numbers were eye-popping (even if you drop them a little bit due to the homer-nature of the event). He measured 6-10 (in shoes) / 240lbs, with a 7'0.25 wingspan and a 9'0.25 standing reach. At that size he registered a 41.5 max vert, did 13 reps, a lane agility of 11.06 and 3/4 court sprint of 2.9. Even lowering all these numbers a little bit to make them slightly less home field advantage-y, they're nothing short of sensational.

My only concern about Simmons is his jump shot. But I trust given his work ethic, he'll figure it out.

I'm fascinated by the possibility of playing Saric and Simmons together at forward next year with both of them being able to push the ball and initiate the offense on any given play.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers