ImageImageImage

The next Stauskas: Which player is destined to be a 76er?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Re: The next Stauskas: Which player is destined to be a 76er? 

Post#21 » by CoreyGallagher » Sat Jul 4, 2015 11:47 am

76ciology wrote:
Sam Hinkie has shown a predilection for obtaining players he likes one way or another.

Isiah Canaan is one example, based on Sam's comments after the trade.

Nik Stauskas is another, based on what we think we knew leading up to the draft last year.

Hinkie wanted stauskas?

It was assumed we were attempting to move up to the 8th pick to draft him or Vonleh.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
SexDrugsPnR
Bench Warmer
And1: 724

Post#22 » by SexDrugsPnR » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:08 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Sam Hinkie has shown a predilection for obtaining players he likes one way or another.

Nik Stauskas is another, based on what we think we knew leading up to the draft last year.

Hinkie wanted stauskas?

It was assumed we were attempting to move up to the 8th pick to draft him or Vonleh.

just pointing out that payton could have also been the target at 8 if they assumed he didn't fall to 10.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Post#23 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:51 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Hinkie wanted stauskas?

Brett Brown said in an interview that he had assumed before the Embiid injury they were coming away with Wiggins and Stauskas (and then ended up with Embiid and Saric who neither played).

I can dig around for a link, but it definitely happened as it surprised me it did.
HartfordWhalers

Post#24 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:51 pm

OleSchool wrote:It was rumored that Hinkie was very high on Archie Goodwin. SO thats where my $ is going

And while I look for my own link, any link info on this?
leorautins
Freshman
And1: 31

The next Stauskas: Which player is destined to be a 76er? 

Post#25 » by leorautins » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:53 pm

Bennett
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by CoreyGallagher » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:58 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Brett Brown said in an interview that he had assumed before the Embiid injury they were coming away with Wiggins and Stauskas (and then ended up with Embiid and Saric who neither played).

I can dig around for a link, but it definitely happened as it surprised me it did.

I remember him mentioning Wiggins, I don't remember Stauskas, I'll relisten to it. Found the thread.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1391512&p=43847285&hilit=Wiggins#p43847285

EDIT: Seems the interview was removed (does it work for anybody else?), I'll take your word for it, I just don't remember.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
HartfordWhalers

Post#27 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Jul 4, 2015 1:00 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:Brett Brown said in an interview that he had assumed before the Embiid injury they were coming away with Wiggins and Stauskas (and then ended up with Embiid and Saric who neither played).

I remember him mentioning Wiggins, I don't remember Stauskas, I'll relisten to it. Found the thread.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1391512&p=43847285&hilit=Wiggins#p43847285

EDIT: Seems the interview was removed (does it work for anybody else?), I'll take your word for it, I just don't remember.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24866684/brett-brown-expected-sixers-to-draft-andrew-wiggins-and-nik-stauskas

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/status/540296786091704320[/tweet]
42uptop
Starter
And1: 754

Post#28 » by 42uptop » Sat Jul 4, 2015 1:04 pm

I don't believe that Brett Brown has much say in these roster decisions. He might have assumed that we were drafting Wiggins and Stauskas, but that is pure speculation. Based on his drafting history I don't buy that Hinkie was targeting either of them.
I speak the truth.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by CoreyGallagher » Sat Jul 4, 2015 1:04 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24866684/brett-brown-expected-sixers-to-draft-andrew-wiggins-and-nik-stauskas

Interesting, sort of defies Hinkie's tight lip advantage that he occasionally speaks of.
HartfordWhalers

Post#30 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Jul 4, 2015 1:08 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24866684/brett-brown-expected-sixers-to-draft-andrew-wiggins-and-nik-stauskas

Interesting, sort of defies Hinkie's tight lip advantage that he occasionally speaks of.

Yeah, I don't think there has been another big instance of it like that which is why it stuck in my memory the Stauskas inclusion all the way till now from early December.

And in reference to above, Brett Brown says he talks draft with Hinkie every day leading up to it, if he thought Stauskas was happening it is because the organization thought Stauskas was a serious possibility. (Although I still hope the move up to 8 try was for Vonleh, because I do love me some Vonleh).
OleSchool
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,344

Post#31 » by OleSchool » Sat Jul 4, 2015 1:12 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
OleSchool wrote:It was rumored that Hinkie was very high on Archie Goodwin. SO thats where my $ is going

I'll do a quick search for it but, if I can remember correctly it was at the end of an article I read.

Google is my friend lol
NYSixersFan wrote:quite simply, If I were GM, We would have a good young playoff team right now; with cap flexibility going forward

NYSixersFan wrote:I'D BE more then happy to debate you or anyone else on specifics

NYSixersFan wrote:How can I give you specifics? I'm not talking to other GM's
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#32 » by Agnostifarian » Sat Jul 4, 2015 1:17 pm

Tyler Ennis in the short term. Longer term, Russell Westbrook in 2017, if he's healthy and a couple of our prospects emerge. We might ba an attractive destination by 2017.
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
OleSchool
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by OleSchool » Sat Jul 4, 2015 1:21 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:

Here you go. It's towards the end. I'm on my phone and I can't copy the paragraph it's in

http://thesixersense.com/2014/01/05/update-phoenix-interested-thad-young-elliot-williams-87ers/
NYSixersFan wrote:quite simply, If I were GM, We would have a good young playoff team right now; with cap flexibility going forward

NYSixersFan wrote:I'D BE more then happy to debate you or anyone else on specifics

42uptop
Starter
And1: 754

Post#34 » by 42uptop » Sat Jul 4, 2015 1:24 pm

I'm sure Hinkie looks for the coach's insight before every draft, but BB doesn't have some control over roster decisions like the former coach did. Wiggins and Stauaskas were likely targets but I believe Embiid and Vonleh were higher up on the board. Hinkie has shown a proclivity for bigs and long-armed defenders.
I speak the truth.
joyeuxnoel
Bench Warmer
And1: 699

Post#35 » by joyeuxnoel » Sat Jul 4, 2015 1:25 pm

RW and KD are longshots, but if we could reunite them here it would be awesome. KD is 2016 but will probably resign a 1 yr deal since he can make 40 mil more in 2017.

So we have 2 seasons for our bigs to grow enough that kd and rw are intrigued

PG: Westbrook/filler
SG: Stauskas/filler
SF: Durant/RoCo
PF: Noel/Saric
C: Embiid/Okafor

4 1st rounders 2016
2017 1st
Embiid-Simmons-Covington

Fire Colangelo
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#36 » by Agnostifarian » Sat Jul 4, 2015 1:28 pm

Cameron Payne this week for OKC 2016 1st and cap relief.
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
OleSchool
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by OleSchool » Sat Jul 4, 2015 1:29 pm

joyeuxnoel wrote:RW and KD are longshots, but if we could reunite them here it would be awesome. KD is 2016 but will probably resign a 1 yr deal since he can make 40 mil more in 2017.

4 1st rounders 2016
2017 1st

That might be an 80 win team :lol:

HartfordWhalers

Post#38 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Jul 4, 2015 1:29 pm

OleSchool wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

Here you go. It's towards the end. I'm on my phone and I can't copy the paragraph it's in

http://thesixersense.com/2014/01/05/update-phoenix-interested-thad-young-elliot-williams-87ers/

Thanks!

Here is what it says:

Don’t forget former Kentucky standout, Archie Goodwin either. The Sixers were very high on him in the draft last year and even attempted to trade Evan Turner to get back into the first-round to select Goodwin.

That was one of JakeFishers 50 rumors that day. I'm not convinced it had validity, but he definitely said it along with a bunch of other things that day. Had absolutely forgotten.
HartfordWhalers

Post#39 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Jul 4, 2015 1:31 pm

42uptop wrote:I'm sure Hinkie looks for the coach's insight before every draft, but BB doesn't have some control over roster decisions like the former coach did. Wiggins and Stauaskas were likely targets but I believe Embiid and Vonleh were higher up on the board. Hinkie has shown a proclivity for bigs and long-armed defenders.

I have no idea on where Vonleh was, and won't get into the Embiid or Wiggins debate. But yeah, I don't think anyone is saying Brett Brown is the one picking the draft picks, just that he is plugged into the process so what he says about the process has a weight.
joyeuxnoel
Bench Warmer
And1: 699

Post#40 » by joyeuxnoel » Sat Jul 4, 2015 1:32 pm

OleSchool wrote:
joyeuxnoel wrote:RW and KD are longshots, but if we could reunite them here it would be awesome. KD is 2016 but will probably resign a 1 yr deal since he can make 40 mil more in 2017.

4 1st rounders 2016
2017 1st

That might be an 80 win team :lol:

It's a long shot even if our bigs dominate, but our chances are greater than 0, so we have a shot
Embiid-Simmons-Covington

Fire Colangelo

Return to Philadelphia 76ers