ImageImageImage

Player Discussion: Nik Stauskas

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Re: Re: Player Discussion: Nik Stauskas 

Post#61 » by Sportfan73 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:19 pm

76ciology wrote:I think he'd really suit the Klay Thompson role. He's got great range, quick release and has underrated vert. that makes him confident to take take it to the rim.

He isn't quick, so you wouldn't want him to be ball dominant for it will just slow him down and making it more difficult to get his shot off against the defender.

Defensively, most teams have either a scorer wing and a 3&D guy. Jerami or Jakarr should handle the scorer wing then Stauskas would be matched up with the 3&D guy.
he is incredibly good in the pick and roll for how not quick he is though.
05PhillyAI
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#62 » by 05PhillyAI » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:12 pm

Sportfan73 wrote:
76ciology wrote:I think he'd really suit the Klay Thompson role. He's got great range, quick release and has underrated vert. that makes him confident to take take it to the rim.

He isn't quick, so you wouldn't want him to be ball dominant for it will just slow him down and making it more difficult to get his shot off against the defender.

Defensively, most teams have either a scorer wing and a 3&D guy. Jerami or Jakarr should handle the scorer wing then Stauskas would be matched up with the 3&D guy.

I honestly think that certain aspects of Nik's game is underrated due to the fact that he doesn't really look like a basketball player. He looks like a really tall, dorky guy who's ears stick out. His vert has continuously gotten better due to the fact that he is constantly working on his game and his body. I'd bet that his vertical has increased by inches even since the day he was drafted. When he goes up, he keeps rising even though you expect him to stop elevating. It's fun, yet interesting to watch.

Judging by his work ethic and his results from said work, I think that he's only going to get better. The kid is a pure shooter with a developing body and handle who we aquired for basically nothing. It's safe to say that I am very excited to see the strides that he will most certainly make.

And the very worst possible outcome? He's a situational pure shooter who the sixers gave up pretty much zero to get.

Win-win situation for us boys...
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,057

Post#63 » by sixers hoops » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:41 pm

05PhillyAI wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:

I honestly think that certain aspects of Nik's game is underrated due to the fact that he doesn't really look like a basketball player. He looks like a really tall, dorky guy who's ears stick out. His vert has continuously gotten better due to the fact that he is constantly working on his game and his body. I'd bet that his vertical has increased by inches even since the day he was drafted. When he goes up, he keeps rising even though you expect him to stop elevating. It's fun, yet interesting to watch.

Judging by his work ethic and his results from said work, I think that he's only going to get better. The kid is a pure shooter with a developing body and handle who we aquired for basically nothing. It's safe to say that I am very excited to see the strides that he will most certainly make.

And the very worst possible outcome? He's a situational pure shooter who the sixers gave up pretty much zero to get.

Win-win situation for us boys...

Nik is highly motivated. He is constantly putting in work, so I hope the best for him.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,592

Re: Player Discussion: Nik Stauskas 

Post#64 » by sixerswillrule » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:40 am

Brent Barry ceiling? Stauskas isn't as athletic though.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#65 » by 76ciology » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:39 am

sixerswillrule wrote:Brent Barry ceiling? Stauskas isn't as athletic though.

Not a bad comp IMO. Both are great shooters and underrated athletes.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
bedjawII
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#66 » by bedjawII » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:38 pm

joyeuxnoel wrote:
bedjawII wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:Anyone expecting a star because he was drafted 8th will likely be disappointed. However, I think he has the potential to be a really nice part of the rotation.

I disagree. But it also depends on your def of a star. My expectation is for Nik to be a starting SG for the next 10 years in the league, who averages 16-18 ppg/3-4 assist and shoots over 40% from 3. He has several skills that are above average for the NBA and his shooting is elite. He can have similar impact as Wesley Mathews, Iguodala etc. I consider those guys stars.

Both those guys were elite defenders

Agreed! Wasn't comparing them both directly, just the level of impact they have on the game. That said I do believe Nik can be an pretty good defensive player. He's athletic enough and has a high IQ which, if he puts in the work, translates to the defensive side of the ball. And we are talking about Nik's potential and what we expect him to become. That's the type of player I expect Nik to become not who he is today.
Los5782
Junior
And1: 213

Post#67 » by Los5782 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 2:40 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ERpZEgj4Cg[/youtube]

Nik was about The Process long b4 he was Sixer. .
MCDubz-?-KD/Lebron-Noel-Embiid SixerNation!
MCtripDub
Pro Prospect
And1: 254
Location: Manila, Philippines: Home of Team Gilas Pilipinas #Puso

Post#68 » by MCtripDub » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:52 pm

Demarcus Cousins trade buzz is up in the air again. would love for them to pull the trigger and get future assets so they suck more this season... ben simmmoooooons
Help a fellow Sixer fan out! Please drop by http://nbadraftaddict.tumblr.com/ :D

Thanks! #TogetherWeBuild

roma258
Analyst
And1: 901

Post#69 » by roma258 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:35 pm

MCtripDub wrote:Demarcus Cousins trade buzz is up in the air again. would love for them to pull the trigger and get future assets so they suck more this season... ben simmmoooooons

There's no way they're that dumb, is there?
Liberté, égalité, lotteré
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#70 » by Unbreakable99 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:30 pm

Does anyone think with Stauskas struggling in the FIBA Americas that he won't look much different with us?
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#71 » by CoreyGallagher » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:19 am

Unbreakable99 wrote:Does anyone think with Stauskas struggling in the FIBA Americas that he won't look much different with us?

He'll be a spot up shooter for us, needs a system.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#72 » by dorkestra » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:18 am

I'm thinking he comes off the bench and we still start Covington at the 2 and Grant at the 3.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#73 » by rzzzzz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:08 pm

i would hope he'll see a lot of time when OK4 is looking to pass out of the double-team.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#74 » by tk76 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:22 pm

FYI, Canada plays Argentina tomorrow (9/1) in the FIBA Americas.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#75 » by 76ciology » Tue Sep 1, 2015 5:07 am

Unbreakable99 wrote:Does anyone think with Stauskas struggling in the FIBA Americas that he won't look much different with us?

He needs to get minutes and opportunities and then his confidence and rhythm will follow. I see him struggling to start the season but he'll eventually get his rhythm to close it with a good season with us.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#76 » by tk76 » Tue Sep 1, 2015 4:19 pm

At this stage of his career Stauskas is a limitted NBA player. He can thrive if asked to hit open 3's (a Hollis-like role), but he needs to work on the rest of his game to get it to the FIBA level- let alone NBA level. He has the potential to be a more dynamic guard as he highlighted at Michigan. But that playmaking/ball-handling skill set needs (a lot of) work, as does his strength.

I have not watch team Canada yet, but I'd guess he is trying to do too much at this stage of his career, and hopefully that won't be the case on the Sixers. Even though FIBA is not at the level of the NBA, it is a grown man's game and much more physical than what Stauskas faced in college. But it is a bit concerning that his year in the NBA hasn't better prepared him for it.

I contrast, this shows partly why I've been so impressed by Saric. He has seemlessly made the transition from lower level Eurobasket to FIBA and Eurleague at a very young age. We are used to watching young players in the US dominate at every level because they are always playing against their peers (HS, AAU, U18, NCAA then NBA.) It used to be that US college players represented the US in international competition- and often struggled. But now days young US players never play against pros in their late 20's (until hey enter the NBA.) But top international young players like Saric are matched up against "grown men" in Euroleague and FIBA, and often struggle or don't earn many minutes for their national teams. The fact that Giannis (age 20) is finally getting quality minutes on Greece's team and Saric played a huge role last year (age 20) for Croatia at FIBA points to the fact that they are really special players.

Looking forward to watching Canada v Argentina today on ESPN3.
roma258
Analyst
And1: 901

Post#77 » by roma258 » Tue Sep 1, 2015 4:58 pm

Wouldn't read too much into his struggles yet. Give him some time to get it going.
Liberté, égalité, lotteré
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#78 » by Sixerscan » Tue Sep 1, 2015 8:12 pm

Playing fine today so far. This Canadian team doesn't exactly have great ball movement. Corey Joseph is taking all the shots that Pop would have benched him for.
MCtripDub
Pro Prospect
And1: 254
Location: Manila, Philippines: Home of Team Gilas Pilipinas #Puso

Post#79 » by MCtripDub » Tue Sep 1, 2015 8:42 pm

dude is like a marco bellineli clone
Help a fellow Sixer fan out! Please drop by http://nbadraftaddict.tumblr.com/ :D

Thanks! #TogetherWeBuild

joyeuxnoel
Bench Warmer
And1: 699

Post#80 » by joyeuxnoel » Tue Sep 1, 2015 9:14 pm

anyone know where we can get a boxscore for this game?
Embiid-Simmons-Covington

Fire Colangelo

Return to Philadelphia 76ers