ImageImageImage

OT- Hamels for Puig??

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

JordanMars
Bench Warmer
And1: 161

OT- Hamels for Puig?? 

Post#1 » by JordanMars » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:23 am

Been hearing the rumor a lot and think it makes sense for both teams, Hamels gives the dodgers 3 ACE starting pitchers for the playoffs and gets rid of a bad locker room presence in Puig, While Puig gets a change of scenery and the chance to be the #1 star for the Phillies. What do you guys think?
Nerlens Noel = 2014-2015 rookie of the year
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,818

Re: OT- Hamels for Puig?? 

Post#2 » by Phila Tough » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:30 am

Don't watch baseball but the Embiid news + the fact that it's the off-season has killed the board, so I figured I'd post anyways.
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant
And1: 483

Post#3 » by ZarcMumoff » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:55 am

I'd hope Hinkie would be able to get a softly protected 1st out of that too.
Phila Tough
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Phila Tough » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:10 am

PK5 wrote:I'd hope Hinkie would be able to get a softly protected 1st out of that too.

Lulz
Phila Tough
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Phila Tough » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:19 am

Sam Braford looks to be healthy...
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,621

Post#6 » by Mik317 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:31 pm

why would LA do that?

I don't watch much baseball and I know Puig is kind of a jerk but still...

also he probably wouldn't stay. I think Hamels and anyone else gets traded for prospects
#NeverGonnaBeGood
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#7 » by spikeslovechild » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:18 pm

That's an extremely lopsided deal.

Puig is cost controlled an under control for forever. He also was sorth what 5.3 WAR last season? You also have to remember this is Rube we are talking about.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#8 » by MRxBLACK » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:40 pm

At the very least I want one stud prospect for Hamels. That would really help the rebuild. We already have some nice prospects in Crawford, Franco, Nola, and Kilome. They drafted that Randolph kid in the 1st round and they're going to have the #1 pick in the next draft too.
ESPN Sucks
Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Post#9 » by Cru Thik » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:04 pm

I think Hamels stays through another deadline. Unless RAJ does something stupid. All the interested teams are withholding prospects. The Dodgers won't trade Seager or Urias. The Yankees won't trade Judge or Severino. The Rangers won't trade Gallo or Mazara. The Cubs more than likely wouldn't trade Schwarber. General managers refusing to trade top prospects kills any chance of a deal. I know Cueto is a rental but that deal was not really impressive. You would think Hamels could get you more. But this is RAJ we are talking about so we probably get less than the Reds got.
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ
BNelley24
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#10 » by BNelley24 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:22 am

Mik317 wrote:why would LA do that?

I don't watch much baseball and I know Puig is kind of a jerk but still...

also he probably wouldn't stay. I think Hamels and anyone else gets traded for prospects

Haven't followed baseball much, however from what I've read, Greinke could opt out after this season, and with the way he's pitched I imagine he'll get a huge contract, so Hamels would be a perfect backup scenario. Plus Puig hasn't had a good season I think...idk, I just think it is a BS rumor. if Phils trade Hamels, we'll get some good prospects that is it.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,067

Post#11 » by Embiid P » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:30 am

I haven't really been following baseball too closely over the last few years given how bad the Phillies have been these past few seasons so I don't know who the best prospects are that teams would be willing to give up for Hamels.

I'm honestly torn as to whether or not the Phillies should trade him at the deadline. On one hand, his value will likely never be higher than what it is right now especially coming off a no-hitter, but on the other hand, I have zero faith in RAJ to get enough value for him, so it might be best to wait until the offseason to trade him when Amaro and company are hopefully gone.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,067

Post#12 » by Embiid P » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:02 pm

So what does everyone think of the Hamels deal? It sucks they didn't land Gallo or Mazara but at least they got the 4th, 5th and 6th best prospects in the Rangers' organization. I know the catcher is injured but I think this was the best possible return we could have gotten for Cole from any team.
BNelley24
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#13 » by BNelley24 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:12 pm

Stinky Hinkie wrote:So what does everyone think of the Hamels deal? It sucks they didn't land Gallo or Mazara but at least they got the 4th, 5th and 6th best prospects in the Rangers' organization. I know the catcher is injured but I think this was the best possible return we could have gotten for Cole from any team.

I think its more beneficial that the Phils get a few above avg prospects than just 1 stud. I think it was a good haul, we now have a good amount of top 100 prospects. Along with the #1 pick next year, things are now in the upswing.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,770

Post#14 » by Skates » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:13 pm

It seems like most teams are not going to give up their top blue chip prospects in deals the way MLB is going at the moment, so they got a mix of decent quantity and quality in the deal. I think it was a pretty good one and probably equivalent or better than other offers out there. The farm system has been such a wreck that building a lot of depth into is like they have been doing since last winter is a good start. The real blue chippers will be coming in the draft and this should help lock in that first pick for them as well. I would like to see them move Revere too, the guy is the epitome of empty numbers. I'd give the deal a solid B to a stretchy B+ and I am no fan of Phillies management at all, so I am not being overly generous.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Post#15 » by Sixersftw » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:18 pm

It was a good haul. Coles been my favorite player since he was called up so this kinda sucks but something had to give and this ain't too bad. After years of Raj screwing things up an above average move seems amazing.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Post#16 » by Cru Thik » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:53 pm

Not overly impressed. Especially when you went into the negotiations wanting Gallo and Mazara. You come out of it with neither. RAJ folded like a cheap suit. Best case would have been waiting until Friday once the Dodgers missed out on Price. Then you could have had a bidding war between the Dodgers and Rangers. You should have come out of this with at least one stud prospect. They went quantity over quality. Wonder what the Astros offer was that Hamels shot down. Phillips would have been a better get than anyone we got back.
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ
FlyerzFan12
Sophomore
And1: 57

Post#17 » by FlyerzFan12 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:43 pm

Cru Thik wrote:Not overly impressed. Especially when you went into the negotiations wanting Gallo and Mazara. You come out of it with neither. RAJ folded like a cheap suit. Best case would have been waiting until Friday once the Dodgers missed out on Price. Then you could have had a bidding war between the Dodgers and Rangers. You should have come out of this with at least one stud prospect. They went quantity over quality. Wonder what the Astros offer was that Hamels shot down. Phillips would have been a better get than anyone we got back.

They were never going to get Gallo. I'd say Mazara would have been possible, but the rest of the package would have been a lot weaker. He would have taken Williams' spot in the deal and the Phils probably wouldn't have gotten back both Alfaro and Thompson. Maybe one of them.

I would like to hear the Astros deal too. I imagine it was similar to what they gave up for Gomez/Fiers (Phillips, Domingo Santana, Hader, and Houser. I love Brett Phillips and would have taken him over any prospect we got back. Santana (a former Phillies prospect) has some major flaws right now. He's still young, but I'm not a fan of him at all. Thompson is a better pitching prospect than Hader and Houser has been pretty bad/mediocre. As much as I love Phillips, I would have taken the Texas package over the Houston one if they offered us the same ones, but who knows what they offered us.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,471

Post#18 » by GoSixersBro » Sat Aug 1, 2015 6:31 pm

I'll miss Cole and wish him well in Texas. Classy guy who laid it all out on the field during his Phillie tenure each and every game. I can't believe he was our number 3 at one point when Halladay and Lee also were in the line-up. I also can't believe the Phils didn't win another championship or two during those seasons with the four aces, but we have this man, Cole Hamels, to thank for 2008.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,056

Post#19 » by sixers hoops » Sat Aug 1, 2015 6:48 pm

FlyerzFan12 wrote:
Cru Thik wrote:Not overly impressed. Especially when you went into the negotiations wanting Gallo and Mazara. You come out of it with neither. RAJ folded like a cheap suit. Best case would have been waiting until Friday once the Dodgers missed out on Price. Then you could have had a bidding war between the Dodgers and Rangers. You should have come out of this with at least one stud prospect. They went quantity over quality. Wonder what the Astros offer was that Hamels shot down. Phillips would have been a better get than anyone we got back.

They were never going to get Gallo. I'd say Mazara would have been possible, but the rest of the package would have been a lot weaker. He would have taken Williams' spot in the deal and the Phils probably wouldn't have gotten back both Alfaro and Thompson. Maybe one of them.

I would like to hear the Astros deal too. I imagine it was similar to what they gave up for Gomez/Fiers (Phillips, Domingo Santana, Hader, and Houser. I love Brett Phillips and would have taken him over any prospect we got back. Santana (a former Phillies prospect) has some major flaws right now. He's still young, but I'm not a fan of him at all. Thompson is a better pitching prospect than Hader and Houser has been pretty bad/mediocre. As much as I love Phillips, I would have taken the Texas package over the Houston one if they offered us the same ones, but who knows what they offered us.

Yeah. Amaro is one of the worst GMs in pro sports, but he got very good value considering the current climate. Gallo and Mazaro weren't happening. The Rangers and Dodgers would wait until the offseason to sign a stud free agent before parting with Gallo, Mazaro, Urias, or Seager.

I just hope Ruben still goes. You don't run an organization so far into the ground that you have to part with your stars to restock the farm system you ignored, and then keep your job.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#20 » by MRxBLACK » Sat Aug 1, 2015 7:08 pm

I'm pretty sure Andy MacPhail is calling the shots now. They're going to quietly send Ruin Tamaro Jr. out of town after the season.
ESPN Sucks

Return to Philadelphia 76ers