ImageImageImage

would you trade back Canaan and the Lakers pick?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

jsa
Junior
And1: 70

Post#1 » by jsa » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:38 pm

Today, if you got coveted GM job and could trade Cannan back to Houston for McDaniels and get MCW back for the Lakers pick, would you do either? Would either of those teams accept those trades?
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,181

Post#2 » by ProcessDoctor » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:40 pm

The Lakers pick is looking great, so I'd say no on that one. Mot sure on the McDaniels trade, that's a wash for me.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,057

Re: would you trade back Canaan and the Lakers pick? 

Post#3 » by sixers hoops » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:52 pm

Definitely stick with the Lakers pick. Very good deal for us.

I was a fan of the McDaniels trade because I believe he develops into a rotation player in this league. However, I understand that if we kept him, his inflated numbers would have commanded a much larger salary. So we would have likely lost him for nothing. Instead, I think we got Holmes with the high 2nd from Houston.

Ultimately, I wouldn't reverse either trade.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#4 » by MRxBLACK » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:54 pm

jsa wrote:Today, if you got coveted GM job and could trade Cannan back to Houston for McDaniels and get MCW back for the Lakers pick, would you do either? Would either of those teams accept those trades?

*Canaan + Holmes

I definitely would not redo either of those trades.
ESPN Sucks
joyeuxnoel
Bench Warmer
And1: 699

Post#5 » by joyeuxnoel » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:09 pm

MRxBLACK wrote:
jsa wrote:Today, if you got coveted GM job and could trade Cannan back to Houston for McDaniels and get MCW back for the Lakers pick, would you do either? Would either of those teams accept those trades?

*Canaan + Holmes

I definitely would not redo either of those trades.

yeah, a definite no to both, especially the lakers pick
Embiid-Simmons-Covington

Fire Colangelo
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,771

Post#6 » by Skates » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:10 pm

If I was the GM I would likely cut Canaan unless he improves massively this year, which I find unlikely, but I would not undo the trades.
roma258
Analyst
And1: 901

Post#7 » by roma258 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:20 pm

I'd stick with the MCW/Lakers trade, especially in light of the Embiid news. Would keep KJ over Canaan though. Canaan is not an NBA caliber player, while KJ is. I would've handled the whole KJ thing differently and offered him a better contract after the draft, but that's all water under the bridge I guess.
Liberté, égalité, lotteré
TrustTheProcess
Freshman
And1: 22

Post#8 » by TrustTheProcess » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:39 pm

I would trade back the Lakers pick to the Celtics for Evan Turner while he's in his prime.
TrustTheProcess
Freshman

Post#9 » by TrustTheProcess » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:40 pm

Try to pry Thaddeus Young from Nets while we're at it
phiphan
Head Coach
And1: 2,331

Post#10 » by phiphan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:05 pm

TrustTheProcess wrote:I would trade back the Lakers pick to the Celtics for Evan Turner while he's in his prime.

:blank:
roma258
Analyst

Post#11 » by roma258 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:40 pm

What's with all the super aggro new posters?
TrustTheProcess
Freshman

Post#12 » by TrustTheProcess » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:50 pm

roma258 wrote:What's with all the super aggro new posters?

Just off-beat cynical humor.. didn't mean to come off as aggressive lol. i actually really like this thread because it validates the moves that Hinkie has made thus far. Wouldn't change any part of the rebuild to this point, honestly .
MountainDrew
Veteran
And1: 885

Post#13 » by MountainDrew » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:59 pm

Nope, both trades were fine, especially the MCW trade which is starting to look like a complete theft.

KJ situation was very unfortunate and I would have liked to keep him, but Holmes looks nice and we got him locked into a team-friendly contract instead of a 3yrs/10M deal.
Trust the Process
roma258
Analyst

Post#14 » by roma258 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:03 pm

MountainDrew wrote:Nope, both trades were fine, especially the MCW trade which is starting to look like a complete theft.

KJ situation was very unfortunate and I would have liked to keep him, but Holmes looks nice and we got him locked into a team-friendly contract instead of a 3yrs/10M deal.

I wouldn't count Holmes in the KJ trade, we had what, 4 picks in the second round and could've grabbed him at any point. We'll see how he turns out though.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,013

Post#15 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:32 pm

roma258 wrote:
MountainDrew wrote:Nope, both trades were fine, especially the MCW trade which is starting to look like a complete theft.

I wouldn't count Holmes in the KJ trade, we had what, 4 picks in the second round and could've grabbed him at any point. We'll see how he turns out though.

Yeah but then we wouldn't have something else.

Big part of the trade was trading one chance for two. I'd rather have KJ in retrospect, but I liked the thought process behind the trade itself. Make enough moves like that and things will work out.

And if anyone really doesn't prefer the Laker pick at this point to MCW... IDK what to tell you. MCW is the 5th best guy on a noncontender, that Laker pick is going to be top 10. It's a home run.
DavidHume
Junior
And1: 122

Post#16 » by DavidHume » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:36 pm

roma258 wrote:

We had 5 picks in the second round. We grabbed Holmes with the 37th pick (which we got for KJ). 3 of the 5 second round picks came later. So you're misrepresenting things a bit.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,693

Post#17 » by Mik317 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:56 pm

The selfish part of me would. I'd be more juiced about a MCW,KJ,Cov,Noel,Okafor core instead of the Noel and Okafor and thats it core (feel like Covington is the guy who gets pawned for too many wins this year).... I am growing tired of having to hold out hope that THIS will be the draft where things get real because the Embiid pick was supposed to be that..welp, but then this past draft was supposed to be it...and while Okafor is cool, these trades led to us creating even more holes..so yeah I'd take it back if I could

HOWEVER

I'll even admit that it is unfair to grade anything at this point because if the Lakers pick gets us that dude then all of my bellyaching will be null and void. That and MCW would reeeeallly not fit with our two bigs and KJ would probably have gotten more than he got if he played the full season here.

So I understand both points of view here.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#18 » by No-Man » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:48 pm

No way.
76ers
Bench Warmer
And1: 773

Post#19 » by 76ers » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:20 pm

I'm good with both of Hinkie's moves.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,521

Post#20 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:58 pm

sixers hoops wrote:Definitely stick with the Lakers pick. Very good deal for us.

I was a fan of the McDaniels trade because I believe he develops into a rotation player in this league. However, I understand that if we kept him, his inflated numbers would have commanded a much larger salary. So we would have likely lost him for nothing. Instead, I think we got Holmes with the high 2nd from Houston.

Ultimately, I wouldn't reverse either trade.

Yeah. I take Holmes over KJ. I loved him in summer league.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers