ImageImageImage

Welcome Gerald Wallace, for now, sorry JT

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Post#21 » by Sportfan73 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:56 pm

Landry is next. Seems like we could gear up for next offseason. Convincing Durant than he, Conley, another decent free agent, Noel, Okafor, cov, grant, stauskus, and 2 lottery picks is great for his future doesn't sound legitimately insane
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Re: Welcome Gerald Wallace, for now, sorry JT 

Post#22 » by kriss73 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:02 pm

However GSW saved almost 8m in taxes. Where is our additonal 2nd rounder? Hinkie is becoming soft :-)
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#23 » by spikeslovechild » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:04 pm

Should have gotten more JT can still play and wallace is a corpse.

Hinkie had GSW over a barrel here not sure why he let them off the hook without getting more.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#24 » by MRxBLACK » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:15 pm

Sixers get cash considerations too.
ESPN Sucks
sixerkitty
Banned User
And1: 32

Post#25 » by sixerkitty » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:24 pm

MadeInPhila76 wrote:This is a weird transaction from both party (especially from the Sixers side). GSW has a group of young (cheap) Big with similar skills to JT. It looks like the Sixers are clearing up a roster spot by moving JT and cutting Gerald.

Maybe but since Thompson's final year of his deal had a team option ( I think )...he was basically a final year deal as well. And I am sorry but, from what I can see, Golden State doesn't have anything to give us draft wise. And I feel JT is extrememly valuable as a Back-up PF/C. In fact, depending on Injuries to other teams during the season, JT might have gotten us a 1st round pick. As is this is a very stupid trade by Hinkie. Not unless as you say, it is the first move to open a Roster spot for a bigger deal. Will have to give it a little time before I give a F Grade to Hinkie. But Congrats to JT in going to a Great team like Golden State.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#26 » by CoreyGallagher » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:26 pm

sixerkitty wrote:
MadeInPhila76 wrote:This is a weird transaction from both party (especially from the Sixers side). GSW has a group of young (cheap) Big with similar skills to JT. It looks like the Sixers are clearing up a roster spot by moving JT and cutting Gerald.

Maybe but since Thompson's final year of his deal had a team option ( I think )...he was basically a final year deal as well. And I am sorry but, from what I can see, Golden State doesn't have anything to give us draft wise. And I feel JT is extrememly valuable as a Back-up PF/C. In fact, depending on Injuries to other teams during the season, JT might have gotten us a 1st round pick. As is this is a very stupid trade by Hinkie. Not unless as you say, it is the first move to open a Roster spot for a bigger deal. Will have to give it a little time before I give a F Grade to Hinkie. But Congrats to JT in going to a Great team like Golden State.

Partially guaranteed next season, he was going to make at least $2.8m on top of the $6.4m he was making this season. JT is not a valuable back-up PF/C, he may be a serviceable 3rd or 4th big off of the bench, that's it.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
sixerkitty
Banned User

Post#27 » by sixerkitty » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:35 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:
sixerkitty wrote:

Partially guaranteed next season, he was going to make at least $2.8m on top of the $6.4m he was making this season. JT is not a valuable back-up PF/C, he may be a serviceable 3rd or 4th big off of the bench, nothing more.

Maybe you're right on JT...He is serviceable. But the facts are we saved GS a lot of money on the Tax, and Wallace couldn't beat me in a game of 1 on 1 if his life depended on it. And I was around to see Wilt play in person as an adult, and am 5ft, 8 and 350lbs. And I say again...I would destroy Wallace right now as is. Hinkie clearly got bent over here.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#28 » by Skates » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:38 pm

Very meh trade from a basketball standpoint, but it seems to be a move to make more moves possible next season. JT was never going to fetch a first rounder, though a future second would have been nice. Hopefully opens up more room for Holmes and Grant this season at PF. Landry needs to get healthy before he can be moved anywhere. Cut Wallace and move on, unless he is going to play the Jason Richardson cheerleader role. I guess this keeps Furkan on the team.
bryanwithawhy
Pro Prospect
And1: 581

Post#29 » by bryanwithawhy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:43 pm

For all of you wishing they got a second rounder: This pick swap is worth more than a second round pick. The Warriors have a non-zero chance of missing the playoffs. I would put it between 5-10%. The West is loaded and an injury to Steph could result in them missing the playoffs.
Jeff Bezos says that if Amazon has a good quarter it’s because of work they did 3, 4, 5 years ago—not
because they did a good job that quarter.
sixerkitty
Banned User

Post#30 » by sixerkitty » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:47 pm

Only way this pick swap will be good for us, is if " Tonya Harding " pays a visit to the Warriors locker room and meets Stephen Curry & Klay Thompson :rofl:
Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Post#31 » by Cru Thik » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:49 pm

So now these MF's are being cheap lol. When we are millions of dollars under the salary floor. Putting up with this godforsaken product the few season unreal. Guess it's all about lining those pockets for this ownership group screw the product or the fans.
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#32 » by CoreyGallagher » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:52 pm

sixerkitty wrote:Maybe you're right on JT...He is serviceable. But the facts are we saved GS a lot of money on the Tax, and Wallace couldn't beat me in a game of 1 on 1 if his life depended on it. And I was around to see Wilt play in person as an adult, and am 5ft, 8 and 350lbs. And I say again...I would destroy Wallace right now as is. Hinkie clearly got bent over here.

You can't get bent over trading Jason Thompson, lol, seems like something that you just latched onto. GS did save money in taxes and we got cash in return and the right to swap picks. Perhaps we could have gotten more, but if the intention was to deal JT then a 2019 second round pick shouldn't be cause for the deal falling through. That's the earliest pick that GS could have dealt.

Hopefully GS is derailed similarly to how the Heat or Thunder were this past season. At least it's doubtful that the Warriors are able to stay as miraculously healthy as they had.

Steph Curry missed 2 games (0 playoff), Klay Thompson missed 5 (0 playoff), Draymond Green missed 3 (0 playoff), Harrison Barnes missed 0 (0 playoff), Iggy missed 5 (0 playoff), even Andrew Bogut only missed 15 (2 playoff), and Shaun Livingston only missed 4 (0 playoff)...
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Hardcore6erFan
Sixth Man
And1: 680

Post#33 » by Hardcore6erFan » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:58 pm

Hinkie strikes again. Love this trade, there's no downside. It's very impossible for the Thunder to have a pick in the 28-30 range and Warriors in the 24-27 range. I watched most of the Warriors regular season games last year and they were great and all, but they played way above realistic expectations. There's going to be some regression to mean this season and they wont be as hungry after winning the title. Bogut is old and super injury prone, Curry or anyone else could still roll an ankle or break a finger and miss 1 to 2 months.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,807

Post#34 » by Mik317 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:17 pm

This was kind of a dick move to Thompson, a guy who legit wanted to play here and teach our guys...yes the Warriors is a great team so he won't cry for too long but still...feel like we need to add a guy like that to the roster... JRich and Luc were huge for the team last year...Thought Thompson would be that for us this year..guess not.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#35 » by marcush » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:26 pm

Meh, Thompson probably ends up here at the deadline, feels inevitable. It would definitely be puzzling for an opposition fan reading this thread right now, lol, feeling sorry for JT that he now goes to the Warriors, yep bet he would be devastated at that.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,718

Post#36 » by 76thBearCub » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:28 pm

Mik317 wrote:This was kind of a dick move to Thompson, a guy who legit wanted to play here and teach our guys...yes the Warriors is a great team so he won't cry for too long but still...feel like we need to add a guy like that to the roster... JRich and Luc were huge for the team last year...Thought Thompson would be that for us this year..guess not.

I kind of agree.

But then I compare my career with his and... eh. Too bad.
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#37 » by Winejk » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:43 pm

It opens up a roster spot. Furkan is probably breathing a little easier. Maybe there's room for another PG now.
BlackKnight
Rookie
And1: 612

Re: Re: Welcome Gerald Wallace, for now, sorry JT 

Post#38 » by BlackKnight » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:10 am

sixerkitty wrote:
Maybe you're right on JT...He is serviceable. But the facts are we saved GS a lot of money on the Tax, and Wallace couldn't beat me in a game of 1 on 1 if his life depended on it. And I was around to see Wilt play in person as an adult, and am 5ft, 8 and 350lbs. And I say again...I would destroy Wallace right now as is. Hinkie clearly got bent over here.

If you're 5'8 350 lbs....Wallace could have 2 broken legs and he would still maul your ass 1 on 1
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,536

Post#39 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:16 am

Mik317 wrote:This was kind of a dick move to Thompson, a guy who legit wanted to play here and teach our guys...yes the Warriors is a great team so he won't cry for too long but still...feel like we need to add a guy like that to the roster... JRich and Luc were huge for the team last year...Thought Thompson would be that for us this year..guess not.

Thompson goes to the defending champs, versus riding pine while youths play in front of him. I think it was a nice move for him.

Curious how much cash Philly got.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,536

Post#40 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:22 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/status/627287355028819968[/tweet]

Return to Philadelphia 76ers