Welcome Gerald Wallace, for now, sorry JT

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

KramerDSP
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Re: Welcome Gerald Wallace, for now, sorry JT 

Post#81 » by KramerDSP » Sat Aug 1, 2015 2:44 pm

MRxBLACK wrote:I would love to see the odds of this happening:

Sixers make the playoffs and end up with the 1st pick (Kings swap with Philly pick), 2nd pick (GSW swap with OKC pick), 4th pick (Lakers), and 11th (Heat) in the 2016 draft.

I can't answer that but 1-2-4-11 is absolutely insane. That means we are adding Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram, Jamal Murray, and the 11th pick plus Joel Embiid and Dario Saric to Wroten/Covington/Okafor/Noel/Stauskas/Grant.

The conditions are so ripe for an "instant dream team" and saying "Hi, Kevin Durant. We ll trade for one superstar in his prime of your preference and also sign another superstar to come in with you and we ll still have a cupboard of assets to fit around you guys.

Sam once said "you'll know. We'll all know" when asked when the rebuild would be over. A team with Mike Conley Jr./Paul George/Kevin Durant/Jahlil Okafor would be absolutely be a "you'll know, we'll all know" moment.
"I don’t wanna be Jordan, I don’t wanna be Magic, I don’t wanna be Bird or Isiah. I don’t wanna be any of those guys. When my career’s over, I''m gonna look in the mirror and say I did it my way.”- Allen Iverson
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#82 » by sixerswillrule » Sat Aug 1, 2015 2:48 pm

1 and 4 is realistically possible. GSW getting the 2nd pick? Major tragedy would have to strike.
KramerDSP
Sixth Man

Post#83 » by KramerDSP » Sat Aug 1, 2015 3:15 pm

joyeuxnoel wrote:What would happen if OKC has injuries again and they keep their pick...again

In that same scenario, GSW also gets an injury bug and finishes with top 5 worst record, are we able to swap with GS even if OKC retains their pick?

In the case where OKC retains their pick (1-15), we would not be able to swap their pick with GS. HOWEVER, we would still have the Miami pick to swap with GS. The trade gives us the right to use either the OKC or Miami firsts as the swap with the GS first. In the event both Miami and OKC retain their pick, the OKC first disappears and becomes two seconds, while the Miami first becomes unprotected in 2017, and we are not allowed to swap with GS because we don't have either pick in hand.
"I don’t wanna be Jordan, I don’t wanna be Magic, I don’t wanna be Bird or Isiah. I don’t wanna be any of those guys. When my career’s over, I''m gonna look in the mirror and say I did it my way.”- Allen Iverson
KramerDSP
Sixth Man

Post#84 » by KramerDSP » Sat Aug 1, 2015 3:33 pm

Sixers make the playoffs and end up with the 1st pick (Kings swap with Philly pick), 2nd pick (GSW swap with OKC pick), 4th pick (Lakers), and 11th (Heat) in the 2016 draft.

Let's see what the odds would be (ballpark range).

- Odds of Sixers making playoffs - 40 to 1 (Bovada has them at 250-1 to win the championship and 125-1 to win ECF, so 40-1 to make the playoffs seems reasonable. - 2.5% chance
- Assuming the Kings stay at the 6th spot and win the lottery - 6.3% chance
- Assuming GS is the new OKC and land at 14 and get the #2 pick - 0.6% chance
- Assuming Kings and GS are the two teams who bump the Lakers from 2 to 4 (worst team, Denver wins the #3 pick) - 31.9% chance (this number is actually any two teams jumping them, so the odds of it being Kings and GS is much lower)

.025 x 0.063 x 0.006 x 0.319 = 0.000003 = 0.0003 % = three one thousandth of one percent chance. Might as well nip this one in the bud. LOL
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Welcome Gerald Wallace, for now, sorry JT 

Post#85 » by Sportfan73 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 4:42 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
I love this. You can't even figure out who to spend $80 million on let alone already presuming that Durant and Conley are in for signing here. Yet you want to trade a first round pick to free up that $80 million.
how about we spend it on a backup pf/c off the bench and a 3 and D guy to start at the 2. That is easily the second best team in the east and a team that is good for a really really long time.

How about we just use that pick to draft one of those things. Or perhaps understand those roles will already be filled by any of the THREE first round picks or Saric. Landry makes 6.5 next year, you wouldn't be getting a starting 2 guard for that anyway. Just hit the brakes on the desire on the desire to trade Landry until it makes sense.
saric maybe but when is the last time a traditional rookie filled a role?
jsa
Junior
And1: 70

Post#86 » by jsa » Sat Aug 1, 2015 5:10 pm

I guess Holmes and Aldemir are the PF back-ups now. Maybe Landry. This weakens the team in that area for 15/16. I'm now hoping they keep Richardson as the veteran prescence. You MUST have veteran prescence for the young players to grow. Coaches can't do it all. Wallace had a fine career, but no play for the Celtics in 2014/15 indicates he is done.
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Re: Re: Welcome Gerald Wallace, for now, sorry JT 

Post#87 » by Sportfan73 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 6:11 pm

jsa wrote:I guess Holmes and Aldemir are the PF back-ups now. Maybe Landry. This weakens the team in that area for 15/16. I'm now hoping they keep Richardson as the veteran prescence. You MUST have veteran prescence for the young players to grow. Coaches can't do it all. Wallace had a fine career, but no play for the Celtics in 2014/15 indicates he is done.
I honestly think a lot of signs are pointing to a vet PG singing a 1 year deal or that we are not done moving pieces
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#88 » by eagereyez » Sat Aug 1, 2015 7:03 pm

KramerDSP wrote:

Let's see what the odds would be (ballpark range).

- Odds of Sixers making playoffs - 40 to 1 (Bovada has them at 250-1 to win the championship and 125-1 to win ECF, so 40-1 to make the playoffs seems reasonable. - 2.5% chance
- Assuming the Kings stay at the 6th spot and win the lottery - 6.3% chance
- Assuming GS is the new OKC and land at 14 and get the #2 pick - 0.6% chance
- Assuming Kings and GS are the two teams who bump the Lakers from 2 to 4 (worst team, Denver wins the #3 pick) - 31.9% chance (this number is actually any two teams jumping them, so the odds of it being Kings and GS is much lower)

.025 x 0.063 x 0.006 x 0.319 = 0.000003 = 0.0003 % = three one thousandth of one percent chance. Might as well nip this one in the bud. LOL

joyeuxnoel
Bench Warmer
And1: 699

Post#89 » by joyeuxnoel » Sat Aug 1, 2015 11:55 pm

KramerDSP wrote:
joyeuxnoel wrote:What would happen if OKC has injuries again and they keep their pick...again

In that same scenario, GSW also gets an injury bug and finishes with top 5 worst record, are we able to swap with GS even if OKC retains their pick?

In the case where OKC retains their pick (1-15), we would not be able to swap their pick with GS. HOWEVER, we would still have the Miami pick to swap with GS. The trade gives us the right to use either the OKC or Miami firsts as the swap with the GS first. In the event both Miami and OKC retain their pick, the OKC first disappears and becomes two seconds, while the Miami first becomes unprotected in 2017, and we are not allowed to swap with GS because we don't have either pick in hand.

thanks i forget that the GS swap can be with the miami pick too

i love this swap because curry and bogut have had injury issues in the past. im not saying I want steph do get injured though, would be bad for the league
Embiid-Simmons-Covington

Fire Colangelo
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,526

Post#90 » by 76ciology » Sun Aug 2, 2015 9:19 am

NYSixersFan wrote:
76ciology wrote:I don't know if you guys have thought about this. But it's a really smart move for us.

Strengthens Warriors competitiveness that lower OKC's chances in winning championship.
Weakens Warriors cap flexibility for next year that lower their chances of signing KD.

And added additional cap room to sign proven players in next year's FA.

I'll assume you're being sarcastic

No. I thought it was a complete low risk and relatively good reward for us.

This move did increase our chance for the KD sweepstakes.

If KD wants out of the Thunder. We are probably the best team who can do a S&T (2nd would be Magic) with them with our assets and cap space. And if Jah/Noel worked well, maybe we can lure a guy like Conley to play alongside KD, while still having assets that assures them sustainable winnability.

..and if that won't work. Sixers will be open for business next year for picks for cap space deals.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Post#91 » by ckchen » Sun Aug 2, 2015 5:48 pm

oyoyer wrote:Since we now have the swap rights on the OKC pick... I'd be willing to trade Landry and MIA 1st for Birdman and Rio. Saves Miami some more money this year (3.5 salary, 12.25 tax - it's 3.5 times for repeaters, right? Don't know how far in they are) and frees up cap for the Sixers to run at 3 max FA's next offseason.

Also has side benefits of probably being able to get another asset for flipping Birdman, as well as a vet PG to get Okafor and Noel the ball.

I should probably also mention I'm not that high on the MIA pick, I see them as 3 or 4 in the East and so therefore a 22-25 pick. They could be this years Hawks, beating up on a bad and somewhat unsuspecting East.

Why in God's name would we be giving Miami anything in return for guys they are straight up trying to dump to get under the tax? Just to free ourselves from Landry's contract? Completely pointless - they can just straight up waive Landry and eat his deal vs. wasting a 1st round pick on useless bench players. The idea that there are even 3 max FAs worth chasing next season and that they would come here all at the same time is so crazy I don't even know where to start.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,720

Post#92 » by the_process » Sun Aug 2, 2015 7:39 pm

ckchen wrote:
oyoyer wrote:Since we now have the swap rights on the OKC pick... I'd be willing to trade Landry and MIA 1st for Birdman and Rio. Saves Miami some more money this year (3.5 salary, 12.25 tax - it's 3.5 times for repeaters, right? Don't know how far in they are) and frees up cap for the Sixers to run at 3 max FA's next offseason.

Also has side benefits of probably being able to get another asset for flipping Birdman, as well as a vet PG to get Okafor and Noel the ball.

I should probably also mention I'm not that high on the MIA pick, I see them as 3 or 4 in the East and so therefore a 22-25 pick. They could be this years Hawks, beating up on a bad and somewhat unsuspecting East.

Why in God's name would we be giving Miami anything in return for guys they are straight up trying to dump to get under the tax? Just to free ourselves from Landry's contract? Completely pointless - they can just straight up waive Landry and eat his deal vs. wasting a 1st round pick on useless bench players. The idea that there are even 3 max FAs worth chasing next season and that they would come here all at the same time is so crazy I don't even know where to start.

Landry's contract next year is not something you can waive. Horford, Conley, and Durant are 3. Giving KD the choice to pick two max running mates surrounded by a young team with a bunch of good young players after the draft next year could be the difference maker. Also don't forget they should be able to flip Birdman for a decent asset.

I understand it's a gamble and you could end up basically giving away a mid-first, but Hinkie's MO up 'til now has been to gamble. Why stop now? The goal is superstars.
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#93 » by marcush » Mon Aug 3, 2015 8:08 am

If by some freak chance, we get to July next year and have reason to believe that we can get 3 max players, thus requiring us to clear Landry's 6m off the books, then we have a couple of options. We can use the stretch provision to clear off 4m and then not pick up an option, or worst case we could use the Sac pick to convince someone.

But giving up the Miami pick, at this stage of the season, with absolutely no clarity around KDs intentions would be madness and maybe even mocked by the Kings front office. At least they only jumped the gun by a week or so in overpaying for cap space. I don't think you would categorize that as Hinkies MO.
42uptop
Starter
And1: 754

Post#94 » by 42uptop » Mon Aug 3, 2015 9:13 am

oyoyer wrote:Landry's contract next year is not something you can waive. Horford, Conley, and Durant are 3. Giving KD the choice to pick two max running mates surrounded by a young team with a bunch of good young players after the draft next year could be the difference maker. Also don't forget they should be able to flip Birdman for a decent asset.

I understand it's a gamble and you could end up basically giving away a mid-first, but Hinkie's MO up 'til now has been to gamble. Why stop now? The goal is superstars.

Because the odds of this scenario playing out are so miniscule that it is silly to even entertain. When was the last time we signed even one big time free agent, let alone 3? Hinkie already has more than enough cap space next year to sign a max free agent if the stars aligned and someone was interested. Now is not the time to trade away picks.
I speak the truth.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#95 » by floppymoose » Mon Aug 3, 2015 9:23 am

spikeslovechild wrote:Should have gotten more JT can still play and wallace is a corpse.

Hinkie had GSW over a barrel here not sure why he let them off the hook without getting more.

No one had GS over a barrel. GS could have stretch waived Wallace if there were no takers.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,536

Post#96 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Aug 3, 2015 11:25 am

floppymoose wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:Should have gotten more JT can still play and wallace is a corpse.

Hinkie had GSW over a barrel here not sure why he let them off the hook without getting more.

No one had GS over a barrel. GS could have stretch waived Wallace if there were no takers.

Or dumped him with 2nds and cash on Portland at the trade deadline to save Portland money.

Think both teams did great for themselves here.
ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Post#97 » by ckchen » Tue Aug 4, 2015 1:58 am

oyoyer wrote:Landry's contract next year is not something you can waive. Horford, Conley, and Durant are 3. Giving KD the choice to pick two max running mates surrounded by a young team with a bunch of good young players after the draft next year could be the difference maker. Also don't forget they should be able to flip Birdman for a decent asset.

No need to pile on with the fact that signing 3 max FAs is so microscopically unlikely it's not even worth thinking about -enough people have definitely said enough about it.

But the fact that you think that Birdman will actually net a decent asset in return is also incredibly unlikely. If trading Birdman could net something worthwhile - Miami would have done it long ago - they're trying to get under the cap and would probably dump him for no value in return and still can't find a trade partner. The idea that somehow Birdman would return any kind of asset is far from likely.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#98 » by BullyKing » Tue Aug 4, 2015 9:58 am

ckchen wrote:

No need to pile on with the fact that signing 3 max FAs is so microscopically unlikely it's not even worth thinking about -enough people have definitely said enough about it.

But the fact that you think that Birdman will actually net a decent asset in return is also incredibly unlikely. If trading Birdman could net something worthwhile - Miami would have done it long ago - they're trying to get under the cap and would probably dump him for no value in return and still can't find a trade partner. The idea that somehow Birdman would return any kind of asset is far from likely.

I believe he was also the one screaming at Hinkie to not cut Kirilenko last year because he was convinced that we could get a nice asset for him.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
WorldBeFree
Starter
And1: 406

Post#99 » by WorldBeFree » Tue Aug 4, 2015 10:41 am

I for myself think Durant wont leave OKC. It seems many of you guys bank on him
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,908

Re: 

Post#100 » by Wilfried » Tue Aug 4, 2015 10:53 am

WorldBeFree wrote:I for myself think Durant wont leave OKC. It seems many of you guys bank on him

If he's leaving, it will be to a contender (maybe in the east - Washington adding him could be intruiging), not to Philadelphia.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers