ImageImageImage

Welcome Gerald Wallace, for now, sorry JT

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Re: Welcome Gerald Wallace, for now, sorry JT 

Post#41 » by marcush » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:24 am

Yep, the cash will be interesting because its kinda unusual that Hinkie took on this contract now as opposed to at the deadline, thus costing more in actual payroll. Maybe they got the full 3 mill.
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Post#42 » by Sportfan73 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:58 am

Another thing I was thinking is that if we dont want to participate in free agency next summer we could keep Wallace until the trade deadline and trade him to a team that thinks they have a shot at Durant for someone who has a bad contract with another year left and a young player or 1st
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach

Re: Re: Welcome Gerald Wallace, for now, sorry JT 

Post#43 » by Sportfan73 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:59 am

marcush wrote:Yep, the cash will be interesting because its kinda unusual that Hinkie took on this contract now as opposed to at the deadline, thus costing more in actual payroll. Maybe they got the full 3 mill.
we could look to flip him for a worse contract and a young player
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,803

Post#44 » by Mik317 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 2:05 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/status/627287355028819968[/tweet]

I'm glad.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
sixerkitty
Banned User
And1: 32

Post#45 » by sixerkitty » Sat Aug 1, 2015 2:39 am

Jake Fischer ‏@JakeLFischer 5h5 hours ago

I've consistently heard, whether it's through trade, waive or buyout, it's highly likely Carl Landry is not a Sixer come training camp, too.

Okay I can understand a trade, but why waive a tested Vet like Landry if we still have to have his salary on our cap this year and next year ? Okay it would open up another roster spot, but that player in all likelyhood wouldn't be as good for us as Landry is, and who could be a Veteran who could help assist us with the development of some of our younger guys ???
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#46 » by MRxBLACK » Sat Aug 1, 2015 2:53 am

sixerkitty wrote:Jake Fischer ‏@JakeLFischer 5h5 hours ago

I've consistently heard, whether it's through trade, waive or buyout, it's highly likely Carl Landry is not a Sixer come training camp, too.

Okay I can understand a trade, but why waive a tested Vet like Landry if we still have to have his salary on our cap this year and next year ? Okay it would open up another roster spot, but that player in all likelyhood wouldn't be as good for us as Landry is, and who could be a Veteran who could help assist us with the development of some of our younger guys ???

I wouldn't waive him either. Get him healthy and give him some minutes and then dump him somewhere at the deadline or in the offseason. There will be takers for him with the cap spike and being an expiring deal after next year. The only thing I want on the payroll before free agency next summer is rookie contracts, don't want 6.5 mil dead due to waiving Landry.
ESPN Sucks
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,803

Post#47 » by Mik317 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 2:57 am

Its probably more so he is "quietly" asking to be bought out
#NeverGonnaBeGood
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,528

Post#48 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Aug 1, 2015 3:31 am

I wouldn't read anything into that tweet.
sixerkitty
Banned User
And1: 32

Post#49 » by sixerkitty » Sat Aug 1, 2015 3:47 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:I wouldn't read anything into that tweet.

HW, I am hardly saying Jake Fischer is all-knowing. But if Landry does request out, I say even a slight Buy out means nothing to us cause his overall 2016/17 Cap number will still be here, so why do it ? I mean Landry may want out so he can latch on with a contender, but if not, Landry is too professional to whine. He will be a good soldier and play hard, and be a mentor to our younger guys. Yes I would trade him, but I would not waive him or even buy him out.
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#50 » by James40 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 4:02 am

Good thing they got some cash in the deal, wheeewwww. Building a champion, one dollar at a time.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#51 » by CoreyGallagher » Sat Aug 1, 2015 4:11 am

James40 wrote:Good thing they got some cash in the deal, wheeewwww. Building a champion, one dollar at a time.

Likely to offset the difference that they would have paid Jason Thompson. As was mentioned, this was to consolidate, rather than paying JT $9.2m over the span of 2 seasons they're paying Wallace's $10.1m expiring contract for just this season.

Seems like some were really looking forward to watching Jason Thompson play for the single season that he would have been here. Lots of shade being cast on this trade, but JT was going to be just another awful vet that I would have had to watch rather than Holmes, Grant, or even Furkan for that matter.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
HartfordWhalers

Post#52 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Aug 1, 2015 4:23 am

CoreyGallagher wrote:
James40 wrote:Good thing they got some cash in the deal, wheeewwww. Building a champion, one dollar at a time.

Likely to offset the difference that they would have paid Jason Thompson. As was mentioned, this was to consolidate, rather than paying JT $9.2m over the span of 2 seasons they're paying Wallace's $10.1m expiring contract for just this season.

Seems like some were really looking forward to watching Jason Thompson play for the single season that he would have been here. Lots of shade being cast on this trade, but JT would have been just another awful vet that I would have had to watch rather than Holmes, Grant.

9.2 is the pre-trade kicker number. It is somewhere between 9.5 and 9.8.

And yeah, I have been pushing for this trade on the tnt board arguing for Wallace and either 2 super distant 2nds or 1 ditsant 1nd and 1.5m for JT. Depends upon how much cash Philly got, but I think this is a better deal for us, and really like it.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#53 » by MRxBLACK » Sat Aug 1, 2015 4:29 am

I figure the rotation is looking like this after the trade:

Wroten / Jackson
Stauskas / Thompson
Covington / Grant
Noel / Holmes
Okafor / Aldemir

Embiid and Landry on the shelf, then 3 scrubs at the end of the bench getting sporadic minutes (Canna/Sampson/Wilbekin/Tokoto/Whoever/Whocares)
ESPN Sucks
HartfordWhalers

Post#54 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Aug 1, 2015 4:29 am

1m cash per Pelton.
42uptop
Starter
And1: 754

Post#55 » by 42uptop » Sat Aug 1, 2015 4:49 am

Good trade. It would be nice to consolidate Landry's contract into a big expiring too.
I speak the truth.
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach

Re: Re: Welcome Gerald Wallace, for now, sorry JT 

Post#56 » by Sportfan73 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 4:51 am

42uptop wrote:Good trade. It would be nice to consolidate Landry's contract into a big expiring too.
I think it would cost us either two seconds or the okc pick to do.
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,560

Post#57 » by NYSixersFan » Sat Aug 1, 2015 4:56 am

What's the point of having Thompson and Landry on the roster when we can watch Furkan jack up 3's all day?

Why have two solid veteran big men who can actually help you; when you can get a few extra $$$$ for the owner? might get a 5 year extension because of it.

I don't understand this trade at all...spare me the GSW draft considerations....oh, right...more cap flexibility for next year that we won't use.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#58 » by CoreyGallagher » Sat Aug 1, 2015 5:27 am

NYSixersFan wrote:What's the point of having Thompson and Landry on the roster when we can watch Furkan jack up 3's all day?

Exactly! You're being sarcastic, but we do already have plenty of young big men on the roster. Furkan jacking up 3's and hopefully hitting some would make him a considerably more versatile player and he'd actually have niche in this league.

Why have two solid veteran big men who can actually help you; when you can get a few extra $$$$ for the owner? might get a 5 year extension because of it.

Didnt get the owner extra $$$$.

Landry is a 32 year old who just had surgery on his wrist, his career is winding down. I wouldn't mind keeping him, but I'm not going to be upset about these departures as they're so insignificant.

Thompson is not a solid veteran, he's been on the Kings for 7 seasons and they've never won more than 29 games in that span. He was apart of that, he's been dreadful, especially the past few seasons.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&y1=2015&p1=aldemfu01&y2=2015&p2=thompja02&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
joyeuxnoel
Bench Warmer
And1: 699

Post#59 » by joyeuxnoel » Sat Aug 1, 2015 7:35 am

What would happen if OKC has injuries again and they keep their pick...again

In that same scenario, GSW also gets an injury bug and finishes with top 5 worst record, are we able to swap with GS even if OKC retains their pick?
Embiid-Simmons-Covington

Fire Colangelo
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,516

Post#60 » by 76ciology » Sat Aug 1, 2015 9:07 am

joyeuxnoel wrote:What would happen if OKC has injuries again and they keep their pick...again

In that same scenario, GSW also gets an injury bug and finishes with top 5 worst record, are we able to swap with GS even if OKC retains their pick?

In that case, we get a higher chance for Durant. THINK BIG MY MAN. 8-)

All that cap space, assets, and Biid/Noel/Jah/Saric.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers