Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Re: Embid return 

Post#21 » by Ericb5 » Fri Oct 2, 2015 2:20 pm

83SixersRocked wrote:
WorldBeFree wrote:Simply accept he is done

If he still had pain prior to his surgery I'd agree. But last year Embiid seemed like he was chomping at the bit to play. What we saw of him was limited, but he seemed to be moving well enough. You may be right about him, but if he's that optimistic, especially with a foot injury, then so am I.

Even if he had pain last summer. Bone graft surgeries have been successful in much worse versions of this injury.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#22 » by ankle420breaker » Fri Oct 2, 2015 2:37 pm

Ilgauskas is proof that recovery from this is possible. A large heavy man with a similar injury who underwent a similar procedure and navigated his way through a very similar path to the one Joel is on now. Ultimately he went on to play 10 consecutive seasons with no setbacks.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#23 » by Ericb5 » Fri Oct 2, 2015 2:54 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Ilgauskas is proof that recovery from this is possible. A large heavy man with a similar injury who underwent a similar procedure and navigated his way through a very similar path to the one Joel is on now. Ultimately he went on to play 10 consecutive seasons with no setbacks.

Ilgauskus was in an even worse situation than Embiid because not only was he bigger and heavier than Embiid, but he reinjured the foot multiple times.

Embiid hasn't reinjured it once.

Plus it has been a decade since then of medical advances. I don't know if this is the case or not, but I would guess that Big Z didn't have stem cells injected into the site in the foot for example.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,443

Post#24 » by Eyeamok » Fri Oct 2, 2015 2:55 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Nerlens never really had a minutes restriction, played 35 minutes his first two games, consistently averaged 30+ minutes all year.

Which speaks to the larger point here: The Sixers aren't going to play a guy if he can't give it his all. They may wait a long time to bring a guy back from injury, but once they bring him back he's expected to be completely ready to go.

So they aren't going to throw Embiid out there if he isn't in shape and can only get through 10 minutes without getting winded. Embiid's foot healing is only the first step, he also has to get his conditioning back. Throwing a guy out there who is not in NBA shape is a great way for him to get hurt again.

After playing 2 games of 35 minutes the coaching staff dropped him down to 25, 30 and 17 minutes played for the next 3 games. He got a DNP coach's decision for the next two games. When he came back he played

minutes per game.

My point was at that time many fans were saying he was brittle and inconsistent. To me he started off hot, then his minutes were cut back (some would say restricted) he sat out a few games was brought back slowly for a few games then hit the 30's again and ended up with an average of 30.8 minutes per game. Some would say that is 30+ minutes a game some would say 30.

You are right sending a player out there that is not in game shape is a good way to get him hurt again.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#25 » by Jody Smokz » Fri Oct 2, 2015 8:22 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens if Okafor plays well and nerlens plays well also. At some point one of them has to stick. Maybe 2 if Noel can develop some type of an midrange to outside game.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#26 » by Sixerscan » Fri Oct 2, 2015 8:31 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:Nerlens never really had a minutes restriction, played 35 minutes his first two games, consistently averaged 30+ minutes all year.

Which speaks to the larger point here: The Sixers aren't going to play a guy if he can't give it his all. They may wait a long time to bring a guy back from injury, but once they bring him back he's expected to be completely ready to go.

So they aren't going to throw Embiid out there if he isn't in shape and can only get through 10 minutes without getting winded. Embiid's foot healing is only the first step, he also has to get his conditioning back. Throwing a guy out there who is not in NBA shape is a great way for him to get hurt again.

After playing 2 games of 35 minutes the coaching staff dropped him down to 25, 30 and 17 minutes played for the next 3 games. He got a DNP coach's decision for the next two games. When he came back he played

minutes per game.

My point was at that time many fans were saying he was brittle and inconsistent. To me he started off hot, then his minutes were cut back (some would say restricted) he sat out a few games was brought back slowly for a few games then hit the 30's again and ended up with an average of 30.8 minutes per game. Some would say that is 30+ minutes a game some would say 30.

You are right sending a player out there that is not in game shape is a good way to get him hurt again.

Actually he sprained his ankle in the 17 minute game, then he was out with the injury in the next two games. Then they brought him off the bench for a few games, which I guess was holding him back but that was more about the short term ankle injury than anything to do with his knee. As you can see, once that got sorted out he was back to playing a lot.

30.8 mpg is a lot, especially for a big guy. 6th most among centers last year. He played the most mpg of any rookie big man since Blake Griffin. Even his 29.8 MPG in his first full month (which includes the ankle injury period) was more than anyone since Blake.

I know people thought he was brittle but that wasn't really true. He had random little injuries pop up every once in a while, but that's like any NBA player.

He was inconsistent to start though. Actually I would just say he was flat out bad the first couple months, at least offensively.
thenbaman
Sixth Man
And1: 537

Post#27 » by thenbaman » Fri Oct 2, 2015 8:49 pm

I think he would make good trade bait with the pacers
just trade the two injured players for each other.
WorldBeFree
Starter
And1: 406

Re: AW: RE: Re: Embid return 

Post#28 » by WorldBeFree » Fri Oct 2, 2015 10:02 pm

BoomBap wrote:

have you ever been happy? you are always so negative...

Just look at my teams that i support. I can only be negative, because there is no positive. This guy never played for us. Just protect yourself guys and think he is done, if he plays....Good
BoomBap
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#29 » by BoomBap » Fri Oct 2, 2015 10:14 pm

bruh, you think your teams are bad? I'm a sixers fan and a hannover 96 team. right now the worst team in the german bundesliga. But i still love my ugly babies and i will always support them.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#30 » by Ericb5 » Sat Oct 3, 2015 12:44 am

WorldBeFree wrote:
BoomBap wrote:

have you ever been happy? you are always so negative...

Just look at my teams that i support. I can only be negative, because there is no positive. This guy never played for us. Just protect yourself guys and think he is done, if he plays....Good

Well I see the angle of protecting yourself by assuming he is done, but in reality, he still has a strong chance at a full recovery. Nobody is counting on it though.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ImChillin01
Banned User
And1: 424

Post#31 » by ImChillin01 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 8:27 am

BoomBap wrote:bruh, you think your teams are bad? I'm a sixers fan and a hannover 96 team. right now the worst team in the german bundesliga. But i still love my ugly babies and i will always support them.

Cheer up mate, Hiroshi Kiyotake will lead the way
ET Da Gawd
Sixth Man
And1: 367

Post#32 » by ET Da Gawd » Mon Oct 5, 2015 6:24 pm

I think he'll be fine next season, we have a good rotation so there won't be a press for him to play 36min+ a game
jsa
Junior
And1: 70

Post#33 » by jsa » Mon Oct 5, 2015 11:05 pm

If the doctor's feel Embid is recovered, and it is safe for him to play in a practical way, perhaps limited minutes and no back to backs, for instance, play him. If this full recovery is February 2016 not September 2016, just let him run. In the long run , this shorter injury span will help him in this situation, paticularly mentally. Just be cautious, not overcautious. I suspect if his foot breaks again, he will be Odenized in the NBA, given low contract chances but no real future. If he recovers, you want a physically and mentally strong individual, not one afraid to play. It is not about wins in spring 2016, it is about giving Embid a chance to gain confidence.
BobThornton
Pro Prospect
And1: 239

Post#34 » by BobThornton » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:19 pm

Brown said injured center Joel Embiid is "doing great."

"Most importantly, he's doing fantastically in his mind," Brown said. "He is so determined to do everything that he has to, everything that people are telling him that he has to do, to get it right. There is a real progression, I think, in his maturity and his seriousness to understanding truly what needs to be done for him to give himself every chance to get back on the court."
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#35 » by snoopdogg88 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:50 pm

so basically he screwed around his entire rookie season and probably reinjured himself doing so.

great
OleSchool
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,344

Post#36 » by OleSchool » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:53 pm

BobThornton wrote:Brown said injured center Joel Embiid is "doing great."

"Most importantly, he's doing fantastically in his mind," Brown said. "He is so determined to do everything that he has to, everything that people are telling him that he has to do, to get it right. There is a real progression, I think, in his maturity and his seriousness to understanding truly what needs to be done for him to give himself every chance to get back on the court."

I find it funny that this "feel good" Embiid story comes out today after the travesty that happened last night
NYSixersFan wrote:quite simply, If I were GM, We would have a good young playoff team right now; with cap flexibility going forward

NYSixersFan wrote:I'D BE more then happy to debate you or anyone else on specifics

NYSixersFan wrote:How can I give you specifics? I'm not talking to other GM's
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#37 » by Ericb5 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:05 am

OleSchool wrote:

I find it funny that this "feel good" Embiid story comes out today after the travesty that happened last night

This "story" came out yesterday if you were paying attention, and it was based off interviews before the game.

Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,073

Post#38 » by Embiid P » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:42 am

OleSchool wrote:

FWIW I remember Dei Lynam mentioning Ilgauskas meeting with Embiid yesterday on the pre-game show.
Draftandstash
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#39 » by Draftandstash » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:21 am

I hope ilgauskaa just preaches patience to the young man don't rush things. If he comes with the right mind set going into the next step he Will be ready to do his best. Realistically that's all I could hope for.
OleSchool
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,344

Post#40 » by OleSchool » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:44 am

Ericb5 wrote:
OleSchool wrote:

This "story" came out yesterday if you were paying attention, and it was based off interviews before the game.

Forgive me for doing things before the game and at halftime and missing that piece :roll:
NYSixersFan wrote:quite simply, If I were GM, We would have a good young playoff team right now; with cap flexibility going forward

NYSixersFan wrote:I'D BE more then happy to debate you or anyone else on specifics

NYSixersFan wrote:How can I give you specifics? I'm not talking to other GM's

Return to Philadelphia 76ers