ImageImageImage

~Preseason Game 1: Sixers vs. Wizards~

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Re: ~Preseason Game 1: Sixers vs. Wizards~ 

Post#261 » by MRxBLACK » Wed Oct 7, 2015 1:12 pm

Welp, only made it one preseason game before trade proposals.
ESPN Sucks
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,899

Post#262 » by Wilfried » Wed Oct 7, 2015 1:13 pm

t_smith979 wrote:
Wilfried wrote:To me, the starting 5 will be fun to watch.
But our bench is going to be brutal and will prevent us from winning more than 20 games.

Who would you're starting five be

Like Lamp23 already stated:
Marshall - Stauskas - Covington - Noel - Okafor
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,714

Post#263 » by phillynative » Wed Oct 7, 2015 1:24 pm

Wilfried wrote:
t_smith979 wrote:
But our bench is going to be brutal and will prevent us from winning more than 20 games.

Poor Noel
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach

Post#264 » by MRxBLACK » Wed Oct 7, 2015 1:28 pm

Wilfried wrote:
t_smith979 wrote:

Brown could only play the best players, but it's kinda sad the defensive identity the team established last year is long gone.
ESPN Sucks
Dell
Junior
And1: 80

Post#265 » by Dell » Wed Oct 7, 2015 1:50 pm

You have to be happy with a first game like that. The score doesn't matter at all and the guys who do (Okafor and Noel) looked good. It feels like we're actually making progress.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,899

Post#266 » by Wilfried » Wed Oct 7, 2015 2:00 pm

MRxBLACK wrote:
Wilfried wrote:
t_smith979 wrote:Who would you're starting five be

Brown could only play the best players, but it's kinda sad the defensive identity the team established last year is long gone.

Too early to say if this is a bad defensive team. Players can develop and defense is also very much about a mindset/communication/...
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#267 » by Ericb5 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 2:48 pm

MRxBLACK wrote:
Wilfried wrote:
t_smith979 wrote:Who would you're starting five be

"Long gone" Yeah, it is obvious after the first preseason game that this team is no longer going to have the same defensive identity. :roll:
roma258
Analyst
And1: 901

Post#268 » by roma258 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 2:50 pm

42uptop wrote:Noel is the best player on our team and I'm still smh at how some of our own fans want him traded. Clueless. Noel is the saving grace of our rebuild to this point.

This is a bad roster so blowouts should be expected. My biggest takeaway is that the shooting has improved. Canaan and Covington can light it up and Okafor showed some touch. Noel made his free throws. That is some proof that the coaches are trying their best here.

Since there were no major injuries I give this loss an A+

Yeah, I don't get why there are still so many fans eager to trade Noel. He's already one of the biggest defensive forces in the league and his offense is coming along nicely. Dude is gonna be a stud. Are we hanging our hat on Embiid coming back from a 2 year absence and developing into a better, more consistently productive player? Based on what, our hopes and dreams?
Liberté, égalité, lotteré
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach

Post#269 » by MRxBLACK » Wed Oct 7, 2015 2:52 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
MRxBLACK wrote:
Wilfried wrote:

"Long gone" Yeah, it is obvious after the first preseason game that this team is no longer going to have the same defensive identity. :roll:

It's a well known fact that Marshall, Stauskas, and Okafor are bad defenders. Covington is below average. That's where I'm coming from.
ESPN Sucks
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,810

Post#270 » by Stanford » Wed Oct 7, 2015 3:08 pm

MRxBLACK wrote:It's a well known fact that Marshall, Stauskas, and Okafor are bad defenders. Covington is below average. That's where I'm coming from.

Point guard defense is whatever. Tony Parker isn't a great defender. You can still have a good defensive team without great point guard defense. I think Okafor could be at least a neutral defender against centers. As long as coach Brown has them playing hard within a good system, I think they could still be a good defensive team.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#271 » by 76ciology » Wed Oct 7, 2015 3:38 pm

My thoughts:

Okafor: The jumpers. His jumper is improved but I think he was off to a hot start during the 1st half. Then as usual, he got fatigued in the 2nd half (his problem since summer league) that lead him to miss drives. If you notice Jah also settled for those jumpers in his first 2 games in SL, maybe he's still getting his rhythm and confidence before he starts forcing things inside just as how the SL goes. (Jumpers as his way of checking probability of getting blocked or shut down?) Anyway, I do believe he is talented enough to be a dynamic scorer to either take jumpers, drive to the basket or score at the post.

He was more active on the defensive end. He showed his length with his couple of blocks without much jumping. I thought he was too "chill" in grabbing those rebounds.

NOEL: I thought he was forcing things on the offensive end, but it's more of being eager to show off his improvements in the offseason that is evident by better ball handling and FT%. Playing the 4 position will hurt his steals and blocks numbers, he needs to find a way to be just as effective with out getting those stls+blks.

Jah-Noel: I like the chemistry. As expected, they both played like couple of forwards rather than two slow centers that takes up space in the paint. Both guys shown promising mid-range game, ability to drive to the basket and facilitate on offense.

Other guys:
Jakarr and Jerami didn't show any improvements. Disappointed with both these guys. JaKarr hardly played good D on Beal, who is overrated for me. Jerami seems confuse in his new role being a hybrid forward.
Holmes seems like an athletic stiff.
Wood seems really raw.
RoCo and Hollis were OK.
Canaan is Canaan. A good shooting PG with average ball handling that is below average on everything.
Wilbekin is horrible. Can't defend, shoot, drive, create or facilitate.

Defensively, our guys needs to get out more at the perimeter to defend 3s then trust Jah to be a respectable rim protector with his length and size. Our perimeter defenders were horrible. They weren't getting out but still gives us a ton of drives and backdoor opportunities for Wizards's perimeter players.

Offensively, there's not much option with Canaan, Wilbekin and RoCo. All these three are average at best ball handlers that your best chance to get good looks on offense is to dump it to Jah or Noel to create good looks. And things gets exposed whenever Jah or Noel sits in the bench where the offense is just D-league caliber. Things should really change with Marshall and Wroten. Wherein I expect Marshall to have a career year with us.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#272 » by 76ciology » Wed Oct 7, 2015 3:43 pm

Stanford wrote:
MRxBLACK wrote:It's a well known fact that Marshall, Stauskas, and Okafor are bad defenders. Covington is below average. That's where I'm coming from.

Point guard defense is whatever. Tony Parker isn't a great defender. You can still have a good defensive team without great point guard defense. I think Okafor could be at least a neutral defender against centers. As long as coach Brown has them playing hard within a good system, I think they could still be a good defensive team.

+1.

Individual defense is more important at the wing positions (able to defend star wings with single coverage). Then ability to anchor a defense or DRPM is more valuable at the PF/C positions.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
SexDrugsPnR
Bench Warmer
And1: 724

Post#273 » by SexDrugsPnR » Wed Oct 7, 2015 4:08 pm

76ciology wrote:Okafor: The jumpers. I think his jumper is improved but I think he was off to a hot start during the 1st half.

His jumper is kind of weird. He almost shot-puts it at the basket, but his soft touch is incredible, so it seems to work for him. It's like a long-distance layup.
bedjawII
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#274 » by bedjawII » Wed Oct 7, 2015 4:18 pm

Let's actually look at who played last year. Frontcourt Roco, Noel and Aldemir/Sims/Grant. Are we really saying we are losing our identity by replacing the trio of stiffs with Okafor? Now to the backcourt. Smith/Wroten/MCW and Hollis/Sampson/Sved/Johnson. This year we are most likely looking at Marshall and Stauskas. So explain to me where the significant drop off in defensive talent occurs. Last year we had a bunch of hungry stiffs that BB coached the heck out of on the defensive end. There is no difference this year.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#275 » by 76ciology » Wed Oct 7, 2015 4:29 pm

When asked about 76ers rookie Jahlil Okafor’s performance in his NBA debut, Gortat was complimentary, calling the No. 3 pick a “smaller Al Jefferson.” He noted Okafor’s advanced skill set and strength. And he remembered that Okafor, who finished with 12 points, hit a couple tough shots. That, he said, he won’t forget and he voiced his displeasure, quickly shifting from fan to foe.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,810

Post#276 » by Stanford » Wed Oct 7, 2015 4:38 pm

SexDrugsPnR wrote:His jumper is kind of weird. He almost shot-puts it at the basket, but his soft touch is incredible, so it seems to work for him. It's like a long-distance layup.

He's identical to Duncan in that way
roma258
Analyst
And1: 901

Post#277 » by roma258 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 4:39 pm

bedjawII wrote:Let's actually look at who played last year. Frontcourt Roco, Noel and Aldemir/Sims/Grant. Are we really saying we are losing our identity by replacing the trio of stiffs with Okafor? Now to the backcourt. Smith/Wroten/MCW and Hollis/Sampson/Sved/Johnson. This year we are most likely looking at Marshall and Stauskas. So explain to me where the significant drop off in defensive talent occurs. Last year we had a bunch of hungry stiffs that BB coached the heck out of on the defensive end. There is no difference this year.

MCW and KJ had potential to be a very good defensive backcourt. We've definitely downgraded in that area, no way around it.
Liberté, égalité, lotteré
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#278 » by CoreyGallagher » Wed Oct 7, 2015 4:52 pm

MCW and KJ were good defenders, however our defensive identity is Nerlens Noel and this season it will be about how he transitions.

Defensive Rating by month.

November (14 games) 106.6
December (14) 99.9
January (18) 102.0
February (10) 99.0 (MCW and KJ traded Feb 19th)
March (17) 99.6
April (7) 109.5

We seem to of just given up in April, lol.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,714

Post#279 » by phillynative » Wed Oct 7, 2015 5:07 pm

76ciology wrote:
When asked about 76ers rookie Jahlil Okafor’s performance in his NBA debut, Gortat was complimentary, calling the No. 3 pick a “smaller Al Jefferson.” He noted Okafor’s advanced skill set and strength. And he remembered that Okafor, who finished with 12 points, hit a couple tough shots. That, he said, he won’t forget and he voiced his displeasure, quickly shifting from fan to foe.

I don't think Jah is smaller than Al jeff.. rite?
The76thDegree
Starter
And1: 102

Post#280 » by The76thDegree » Wed Oct 7, 2015 5:12 pm

*comment overreacting on players/defense/shooting/trades/fit/offense/future after only one preseason game*
"Our goals are to build over time a championship caliber team that can compete year in and year out, and that doesn’t happen overnight.”
- Sam Hinkie

51X3RF4N wrote:Sam Hinkie doesn't participate in the draft. The draft gets Sam Hinkie'd.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers