ImageImageImage

Alaa Abdelnaby hired as Sixers new color analyst

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,718

Re: Alaa Abdelnaby hired as Sixers new color analyst 

Post#21 » by 76thBearCub » Fri Oct 9, 2015 1:19 am

76ciology wrote:He has inside track on Coach K. Should give insights on Coach K about players from Team USA and Jahlil.

He "should" or he "might". If so let's hear it.
SexDrugsPnR
Bench Warmer
And1: 724

Post#22 » by SexDrugsPnR » Fri Oct 9, 2015 1:26 am

who is this alexander guy he keeps talking about? how do you come up with that? also said jared valentine instead of cunningham.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#23 » by MRxBLACK » Fri Oct 9, 2015 1:34 am

Don't like him.
ESPN Sucks
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#24 » by PhilasFinest » Fri Oct 9, 2015 2:30 am

id rather just watch Molly....I mean Listen to Molly talk with Mark.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,801

Post#25 » by Mik317 » Fri Oct 9, 2015 4:30 am

Talked a bit too much and didn't add much when was talking.

Malik was rough for a few months too tho..so we will see
#NeverGonnaBeGood
KKell2507
Starter
And1: 507

Post#26 » by KKell2507 » Fri Oct 9, 2015 5:18 am

Considering he's having to replace Malik Rose, I'm sure many of you will find plenty of reasons not to like him. But I've actually heard Alaa do plenty of games before in the college basketball ranks. He's been a color guy for some of the low key games in college basketball for as long as I can remember. He did games for CBS sports last season I believe(them or NBC sports, cant remember). Caught him a lot being a VCU guy because he did quite a few A10 games and called the A10 tournament last year.

He's very intelligent and knows his basketball, and hes also very enthusiastic(which I'm sure you could see right away from tonight's broadcast). Hes going to be able to bring some pretty good insight atleast this year, because most of the Sixers team was recently in college where he has been the last few years. I think he's one of my favorites in terms of color guys in the college ranks. Give him some time. He may not ever be able to replace Malik, but the Sixers could have certainly done worse.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#27 » by Ericb5 » Fri Oct 9, 2015 12:25 pm

I was very happy with him last night. He was probably a little nervous, but I could tell right away that he is capable, and I like him.

Good first day.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,801

Post#28 » by Mik317 » Fri Oct 9, 2015 12:35 pm

at least he is not Bob Salmi
#NeverGonnaBeGood
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#29 » by marcush » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:14 am

I like the enthusiasm. Not Malik level but when you listen to many of the other team's geriatric special comments guys, we aren't going too bad.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#30 » by Kobblehead » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:05 pm

There was a "try-hard" element at play, but I appreciate that he put in a lot of effort and tried to do his homework. I like him.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#31 » by CoreyGallagher » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:37 pm

It just occurred to me that there will be no more 'Sugar Honey Iced Teas' :cry:

When this guy gets more acquainted with the team it should improve.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#32 » by Ericb5 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:00 pm

Kobblehead wrote:There was a "try-hard" element at play, but I appreciate that he put in a lot of effort and tried to do his homework. I like him.

If you have ever lived in a small town and watched local news you realize just how important core competency is in a broadcaster.

The worst local broadcaster in a market like Philadelphia is miles better than the average person in a town with 35,000 people in it.

I went to college in Montana, and you wouldn't believe how bad the local broadcasters were.

Right away with him I can see that he has that core competency. Beyond that will be personality, philosophy, and chemistry with Zumoff.

It is normal to expect nerves in the beginning for him, and he will settle down.

Mix and Rose were both abnormally good, and hopefully he turns out to be on their level. We won't know for at least a few months though.

voodooguru
Bench Warmer
And1: 311

Post#33 » by voodooguru » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:35 am

CoreyGallagher wrote:It just occurred to me that there will be no more 'Sugar Honey Iced Teas' :cry:
When this guy gets more acquainted with the team it should improve.

Yeah! :)

Malik was headed for the Philly Golden Mic Hall Of Fame, no doubt - but I found the Sugar Honeys a little corny and 4th grade-ish.

MR's insights and game savvy will be hard to replace.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,718

Post#34 » by 76thBearCub » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:56 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:There was a "try-hard" element at play, but I appreciate that he put in a lot of effort and tried to do his homework. I like him.

If you have ever lived in a small town and watched local news you realize just how important core competency is in a broadcaster.

The worst local broadcaster in a market like Philadelphia is miles better than the average person in a town with 35,000 people in it.

Very true. Even more with small town radio stations. Ugh.

But I like my space.
MeCarlos24
Rookie
And1: 52

Post#35 » by MeCarlos24 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:07 am

Bring back the Salmi-strator.
“There are a few prerequisites to inventing...You have to be willing to fail. You have to be willing to think long-term. You have to be willing to be misunderstood for long periods of time."
- Jeff Bezos
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#36 » by Ericb5 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:33 am

We have now had a good sampling of him as an analyst, and I am really happy with him.

He's a pro, and I would argue that he is technically as good as Malik was, even if I don't like him as much as I liked Malik, at least at this point.

Part of what makes any of these guys succeed though is how good Zumoff is. I don't think that philly fans appreciate him as much as he deserves. He should be thought of like Merril with the Eagles, Gene with the flyers, or Harry with the Phillies.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#37 » by bondom34 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:58 am

Agreed, I've listened to some of your games on Comcast and liked him on CBS sports net. Good knowledge, solid analysis.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#38 » by snoopdogg88 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:23 pm

Ala was a well known national guy. Very talented

I'm actually a little surprised he took this job. he almost seems overqualified for it.

but I'm guessing the money is pretty good for an 82 game NBA season gig and more stable than being a national announcer.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#39 » by Ericb5 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:37 pm

snoopdogg88 wrote:Ala was a well known national guy. Very talented

I'm actually a little surprised he took this job. he almost seems overqualified for it.

but I'm guessing the money is pretty good for an 82 game NBA season gig and more stable than being a national announcer.

It is one of the best analyst jobs in basketball so it is no surprise that he took it, unless he was already a big market NBA color guy for someone else.

It is a great job regardless of the current state of the team.

Renegade_H
Senior
And1: 302

Post#40 » by Renegade_H » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:17 pm

bondom34 wrote:Agreed, I've listened to some of your games on Comcast and liked him on CBS sports net. Good knowledge, solid analysis.

You are a closet sixers fan aren't you? I like seeing your analysis on the board so if you wanna bandwagon our team when we get playoff bound... you have my acceptance.

2-3 more players away. Keeping it close with a lot of team and we have had the 2nd toughest schedule in the league so far. :D

Return to Philadelphia 76ers