ImageImageImage

Will Nik Stauskas ever live up to his draft value?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Will Nik Stauskas ever live up to his draft value at #8?

Yes, give it time
23%
Yes, but not with the Sixers
6%
He never will
71%

Total votes: 108

Tony Franciosa
Sixth Man
And1: 950

Re: Will Nik Stauskas ever live up to his draft value? 

Post#41 » by Tony Franciosa » Wed Aug 3, 2016 6:57 pm

How does he compare to Korver (who I felt like we gave up on too soon)? Could he have a similar role/career?
ET Da Gawd
Sixth Man
And1: 367

Post#42 » by ET Da Gawd » Wed Aug 3, 2016 7:02 pm

Nik is buns, I knew it when Spike Albrecht outplayed him against my Cardinals for the chip...he just doesn't have it bro
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#43 » by Winejk » Wed Aug 3, 2016 7:20 pm

To think Brett Brown revealed that he expected to add WIggins and Stauskas in the draft, but instead got Embiid. Would anyone trade Embiid for Wiggins and Stauskas now? I wouldn't.

For whatever it is worth, I think Stauskas will have a decent year this upcoming season. He'll be allowed to be a role player with all the emphasis on our bigs. I think he'll do a fine job if he can just be asked to hit 3s and not asked to create. However, it really is a make or break year for him.
Cincinnatus
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#44 » by Cincinnatus » Wed Aug 3, 2016 7:23 pm

Tony Franciosa wrote:How does he compare to Korver (who I felt like we gave up on too soon)? Could he have a similar role/career?

Stauskas has better handle than Korver, but as of now, i am not confident in Stauskas ever becoming 3 point shooter off the dribble in NBA. The key for Nick will be shooting 3 ball with his feet set. He will see major open looks with Simmons vision and passing and Embiid and Okafor in the paint. If he is not shooting 37-38 pct off those looks by december or january, he is gone for good.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,989

Post#45 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Aug 4, 2016 3:56 am

Okafor gave him multiple open looks which he passed up and instead decided to drive.
Notas A3
Rookie
And1: 138

Post#46 » by Notas A3 » Thu Aug 4, 2016 11:09 am

Best case scenario I see him being a player like Jason Kapono, and unfortunately, I think that those chances are really slim by now.

He will be a good player in Europe tho.

Edit: I have just checked basketball reference and I am quite on point with the comparison http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=kaponja01&p2=stausni01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=
Ps: Stauskas probably has wet dreams where he shoots the ball half as good as Jason did some of those seasons :lol: :lol:
Let's Go Sixers!
bedjawII
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#47 » by bedjawII » Thu Aug 4, 2016 2:02 pm

He just looks like a scared puppy on the court. Until he gets some swagger he will never be anything in the NBA.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,669

Post#48 » by SelfishPlayer » Thu Aug 4, 2016 7:21 pm

His main problem is that the one skill he was drafted for hasn't worked in the NBA. He was drafted because he shot the college 3 ball well. He's a terrible NBA 3 point shooter for a guard. He simply doesn't have NBA range on that jump shot. He may never shoot the NBA 3 well enough to warrant playing time. He may also be the type of guy that only plays his best when he starts and has the ball in his hands to create. That's what he was in Michigan. Now he comes off the bench as a floor spreader expected to hit from NBA 3 point distance. That's not what he did in college. Perhaps he would be a better pick and roll player.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Cincinnatus
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#49 » by Cincinnatus » Thu Aug 4, 2016 9:25 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:His main problem is that the one skill he was drafted for hasn't worked in the NBA. He was drafted because he shot the college 3 ball well. He's a terrible NBA 3 point shooter for a guard. He simply doesn't have NBA range on that jump shot. He may never shoot the NBA 3 well enough to warrant playing time. He may also be the type of guy that only plays his best when he starts and has the ball in his hands to create. That's what he was in Michigan. Now he comes off the bench as a floor spreader expected to hit from NBA 3 point distance. That's not what he did in college. Perhaps he would be a better pick and roll player.

Agree with your take on Stauskas Michigan days. Problem is Nick does not have nowhere near level of talent to play NBA game with a ball in his hands. People are talking about his mental flaws,oh boy, he was feeling the pressure playing for last season Sixers. :D Imagine 100 times bigger pressure when we start to compete for the EC finals.

I am from Europe and right now i do not even see Stauskas being difference maker on top basketball teams in Europe.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,859

Post#50 » by Phila Tough » Thu Aug 4, 2016 10:22 pm

bedjawII wrote:He just looks like a scared puppy on the court. Until he gets some swagger he will never be anything in the NBA.

Nik has mad swagger. I think that it's probably just a confidence thing with him. Hopefully the law of aveages will tilt in his favor this season.
TGFA
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#51 » by TGFA » Thu Aug 4, 2016 10:34 pm

no
Hepcat
Sophomore
And1: 98

Post#52 » by Hepcat » Fri Aug 5, 2016 4:00 pm

As a Canadian, I'm surprised that Nik didn't stay at Michigan until he got his degree. Here in Canada we aren't used to the American system of colleges having sports programs that are simply training grounds for the pros. We think that colleges and universities should first and foremost be about academics.

So the problem is that Nick simply wasn't ready for the NBA two years ago. After only two years of college most players aren't.

:(

Radically Canadian! Real men only need three downs.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#53 » by Arsenal » Fri Aug 5, 2016 6:38 pm

He's never going to live up to being the 8th pick in (what was then thought to be) a stacked draft. That doesn't really matter though. He still has a chance to be a decent floor spacer / secondary ball-handler. Hopefully he takes a step forward this year, as his time to show something is running out.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#54 » by freshie2 » Sat Aug 6, 2016 12:04 pm

This will be the year that answer becomes more clear. He was asked to be more than just a spot up shooter last year, and he didn't look confident on the floor. They now have so much talent around him that he can be more of a spot up shooter in the traditional sense. Some shooters never translate their skill to the games, but hopefully he makes big strides this year.
Dave321
Freshman
And1: 8

Post#55 » by Dave321 » Mon Aug 8, 2016 6:44 am

Hepcat wrote:As a Canadian, I'm surprised that Nik didn't stay at Michigan until he got his degree. Here in Canada we aren't used to the American system of colleges having sports programs that are simply training grounds for the pros. We think that colleges and universities should first and foremost be about academics.

So the problem is that Nick simply wasn't ready for the NBA two years ago. After only two years of college most players aren't.

Because he just made millions and is set for life. If he stayed, he never would have gotten drafted. He can go back and get his degree anytime.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#56 » by ankle420breaker » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:53 pm

I'm sure I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but part of me is clinging onto hope that he finally puts it together this year. I'm not expecting a breakout season, just hoping he at least ups his percentages, improves his efficiency, and settles into a contributing reserve role.

Post all star break he started putting the ball on the floor and letting his offense come to him. I thought he showed some adeptness at making plays off the dribble (something guys like Hollis, Canaan, and Cov couldn't do). If he can rediscover a third of the swagger he played with at Michigan and start playing decisive basketball he could actually find a home here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#57 » by Ericb5 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:27 am

Dave321 wrote:
Hepcat wrote:As a Canadian, I'm surprised that Nik didn't stay at Michigan until he got his degree. Here in Canada we aren't used to the American system of colleges having sports programs that are simply training grounds for the pros. We think that colleges and universities should first and foremost be about academics.

Because he just made millions and is set for life. If he stayed, he never would have gotten drafted. He can go back and get his degree anytime.

That's not true. He was a terrific college player. He would have been drafted in the lottery whenever he came out, especially 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,535

Post#58 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:31 pm

Sorry but just no. On all of that. First Stauskas is getting compared to other 2nd (now 3rd) year players, so saying most players aren't ready doesn't excuse being worse than most of those also unready players.

Second that categorization of Canadian basketball players is just wrong. Here are the 10 NBA 1st rounders who were Canadian and in the league right now.

Jamal Murray -- 1 year and out.
Wiggins -- 1 year and out.
Lyles -- 1 year and out
Bennett -- 1 year and out.
Thompson -- 1 year and out.
Tyler Ennis 1 year and out.
Corey Joseph -- 1 year and out.
Stauskas -- 2 years and out.
Olynyk -- 3 years and out.
Nicholson -- 4 years at St Bonaventure.

So basically every single 1st round talent left as soon as they could be picked in the 1st round, with the only guy who stayed all 4 years someone not projected to be a 1st rounded until March of his senior year -- http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Andrew-Nicholson-5518/mock-draft-history/

There isn't a cultural difference.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,517

Post#59 » by 76ciology » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:20 pm

What he needs to focus on is playing better defense and I think he is trying to compensate it with adding 12lbs of muscles (if I'm not mistaken). If not, he'll have to play star caliber offense to compensate his liability on D. Offensively, I think he'll be fine.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 655

Post#60 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:41 pm

He's not an nba player. He's worse than Jimmer was in the nba

If you’re committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers