ImageImageImage

Official Bryan Colangelo thread (for Hinkie talk, use the Hinkie thread)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Sixercise
Sixth Man
And1: 470

Re: Let's Talk About Bryan & Jerry Colangelo and What to Expect Going Forward 

Post#241 » by Sixercise » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:39 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
broseph13 wrote:Hopefully. Brown isn't the guy you want moving forward as he's done nothing to justify keeping him around. Record aside, what has he done from a player development standpoint to justify keeping him as head coach? No one on the entire roster has improved. Personally, I'd like to see someone like Jeff Van Gundy, Thibs, or maybe even Steve Nash as the head coach.

He is because he made a group of D-Leaguers competitive on most nights. I'm not sure what you're looking for from a player development standpoint. Everyone is roughly around 20 years old and not 100% ready for the league, or not worthy of being in the league at all. The raw deal that Brown has been handed is insurmountable. Also the relationships he has with the players are obviously worth noting.

But let's hand the head coaching gig to completely unproven Steve Nash. That should work well.

Agreed - but this year was supposed to show some kind of added component in the Xs and Os dept. Other than scrapping away, how has Brown improved in any other aspect? The team didn't know how to properly incorporate a simple PNR for okafor. How is that excusable, especially after getting ish?

Btw nash could carve a coaching career gig from this league - probably not here with this joke of a franchise, but he's got the BBIQ to pull it off (i.e. Kidd).
rilamann wrote:Leave Simmons alone, your back would be sore too if you didn't have a spine.
sixers23
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#242 » by sixers23 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:17 pm

kidd is a terrible coach
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,860

Post#243 » by Stanford » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:09 pm

Bryan is saying all the right things so far. Expressing a lot of reverence for the job Hinkie did. Hopefully his actions match his words.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,796

Post#244 » by Negrodamus » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:34 pm

jiggy08 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
broseph13 wrote:Hopefully. Brown isn't the guy you want moving forward as he's done nothing to justify keeping him around. Record aside, what has he done from a player development standpoint to justify keeping him as head coach? No one on the entire roster has improved. Personally, I'd like to see someone like Jeff Van Gundy, Thibs, or maybe even Steve Nash as the head coach.

He is because he made a group of D-Leaguers competitive on most nights. I'm not sure what you're looking for from a player development standpoint. Everyone is roughly around 20 years old and not 100% ready for the league, or not worthy of being in the league at all. The raw deal that Brown has been handed is insurmountable. Also the relationships he has with the players are obviously worth noting.

But let's hand the head coaching gig to completely unproven Steve Nash. That should work well.

Agreed - but this year was supposed to show some kind of added component in the Xs and Os dept. Other than scrapping away, how has Brown improved in any other aspect? The team didn't know how to properly incorporate a simple PNR for okafor. How is that excusable, especially after getting ish?

Btw nash could carve a coaching career gig from this league - probably not here with this joke of a franchise, but he's got the BBIQ to pull it off (i.e. Kidd).

For sure he can be a coach, but he'd be doing a disservice to himself and the Sixers since he doesn't have any experience.

He would be best suited as a FO confidant or assistant coach at the moment.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#245 » by Skates » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:40 pm

Bryan Colangelo is a good guy who likes to be liked, which is part of what worries me with FA and trades. He tends to bid against himself in handing out over priced FA deals and extensions and doesn't drive a hard enough bargain in trades. Good in the draft based on his record, especially with picks that are not all top of the draft types, so he is smart enough, but also weak when dealing with people at times. Too eager to please.

Jerry Colangelo on the other hand is a lying scumbag sort who will cut anyone's throat or reputation to please his desires, bad mouthing Popovich being the best and worst example of that. I won't count bashing Hinkie in there because that is a hobby for some people, but there are enough examples out there of his being that kind of guy. Ferry was never going to get the job here because he was a Spurs product, and that is why Brown will eventually be tossed by JC, while making BC do it.

In Ainge the Celtics have a guy that acts like JC and puts on a front like BC, always has since his playing days, and as much as I dislike him, I respect him because he is effective. So the question is, can the Father/Son duo playing bad guy/good guy compensate for each other's weaknesses, or do they multiply them? JC has made some great trades in the past, BC has done some good drafting, do we get the best of that or the worst?

I can see very reasonable arguments for replacing Hinkie and/or Brown, but when the hand picked stooges to replace them are BC and D'Antoni, you know this is just JC trying to replicate the old days in Phoenix and the whole idea of emulating the Spurs has gone out the window, and that is the saddest part of this whole sordid mess.
Att
Senior
And1: 162

Post#246 » by Att » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:55 pm

Stanford wrote:Bryan is saying all the right things so far. Expressing a lot of reverence for the job Hinkie did. Hopefully his actions match his words.

He knows what to say. There'll come a time when you won't be able to listen to him and not puke. He's a salesman and the kind that sells you a car that doesn't drive well, wrapped with empty words.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#247 » by Stanford » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:28 pm

I'm willing to wait for him to execute a plan before I declare him a fraud.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#248 » by Skates » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:40 pm

I wish JC really did step down, or step in front of a bus, or that BC was who they hired back in December. I think BC and his people skills and Hinkie and his Darth Hinkieness would have made a good team. But with JC in charge, there was no way Hinkie would ever expect a fair partnership with BC there as JC's proxy.
Att
Senior

Post#249 » by Att » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:55 pm

Stanford wrote:I'm willing to wait for him to execute a plan before I declare him a fraud.

That's what Raptor's fans kept telling themselves for years. He never even had a proper plan, let alone managed to execute it. Are you going to completely disregard what he did there? He spend 7 years there, and turned himself from a one of the most sought out GM's to a laughing stock only his father would hire.
Good luck turning your back from the evidence and letting Bryan's words dazzle you.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#250 » by Stanford » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:52 pm

Att wrote:Good luck turning your back from the evidence and letting Bryan's words dazzle you.

OK.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#251 » by Negrodamus » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:25 am

With the commitment to Brett Brown, I think this changes the philosophy a bit.

Assuming Brett has a say in the matter, I think we'll take Brandon Ingram if we get the first pick. Defensively, offensively, and fit, he works for this team.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#252 » by Negrodamus » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:50 am

Additionally, I think it shifts the Noel or Okafor trade towards the middle more. This team could commit to half court offense a little more than D'Antoni would and I feel an Ingram, Okafor, Embiid core could work.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#253 » by Ericb5 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:56 am

Negrodamus wrote:With the commitment to Brett Brown, I think this changes the philosophy a bit.

Assuming Brett has a say in the matter, I think we'll take Brandon Ingram if we get the first pick. Defensively, offensively, and fit, he works for this team.

I know that a lot of people on this board prefer Ingram, and that is fine. He's a big time talent, and potential star that fits us like a glove. I would be thrilled to have him...at 2.

However, I honestly think that the likelihood of Simmons being the first pick is at least 90%.

Simmons is a different kind of player. A special player. The kind of player that is unique in the Barkley, Iverson mold. They are all imperfect superstars. They have weaknesses, but also overwhelming strengths.

Ingram is not a batman kind of talent. Now Embiid IS, so Ingram and Embiid would be dynamite. However, Simmons is a potential icon of the league type of prospect.

I firmly believe that in 3 years he will be a top 5-10 player in the NBA, and be a charismatic face of a franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#254 » by Negrodamus » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:46 am

Ericb5 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:With the commitment to Brett Brown, I think this changes the philosophy a bit.

I know that a lot of people on this board prefer Ingram, and that is fine. He's a big time talent, and potential star that fits us like a glove. I would be thrilled to have him...at 2.

However, I honestly think that the likelihood of Simmons being the first pick is at least 90%.

Simmons is a different kind of player. A special player. The kind of player that is unique in the Barkley, Iverson mold. They are all imperfect superstars. They have weaknesses, but also overwhelming strengths.

Ingram is not a batman kind of talent. Now Embiid IS, so Ingram and Embiid would be dynamite. However, Simmons is a potential icon of the league type of prospect.

I firmly believe that in 3 years he will be a top 5-10 player in the NBA, and be a charismatic face of a franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Yea, I feel the same but vice versa. I get why Simmons is special, but his lack of shooting, length, defense, collegiate success, etc really doesn't move the needle as much. Especially with Okafor/Noel's lack of a legitimate jump shot. He's also not a 3, if we're being real with ourselves.

If Colangelo wants things to start making sense, Ingram is the pick.
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#255 » by Agnostifarian » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:36 am

What scouting reports will Bryan rely on when selecting players in this draft? Reports say most or all of Sam's scouts/analytics people will be purged.

Does this increase the likelihood of Bryan trading away our picks?
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
bedjawII
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#256 » by bedjawII » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:33 am

Att wrote:
Stanford wrote:I'm willing to wait for him to execute a plan before I declare him a fraud.

That's what Raptor's fans kept telling themselves for years. He never even had a proper plan, let alone managed to execute it. Are you going to completely disregard what he did there? He spend 7 years there, and turned himself from a one of the most sought out GM's to a laughing stock only his father would hire.
Good luck turning your back from the evidence and letting Bryan's words dazzle you.

This just isn't the way it was. BC missed on Bargnani....he did have a plan and it was to build around him and Bosh. Almost everyone had Bargnani as the #1 pick and for several different reasons he didn't pan out. How much of that is BC's fault? Quite a bit I'd say but it is not like Bargnani was a Kwame Brown type bust. But that's exactly what the NBA is...a game of chance. BC's career up to this point has gone the way of 95% of most GMs. If they are lucky (i.e. Steve Nash and Stoudemire) they are viewed as geniuses, and if they are unlucky (i.e. Bargnani) they are soon out of work. The bottom-line is BC is going to have to get lucky just as Hinkie or any other GM would have to do. Some Raptor's fans seem pretty salty for a team currently reaping a few rewards still from the BC era.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,887

Post#257 » by OAKLEY_2 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:04 pm

bedjawII wrote:
Att wrote:

This just isn't the way it was. BC missed on Bargnani....he did have a plan and it was to build around him and Bosh. Almost everyone had Bargnani as the #1 pick and for several different reasons he didn't pan out. How much of that is BC's fault? Quite a bit I'd say but it is not like Bargnani was a Kwame Brown type bust. But that's exactly what the NBA is...a game of chance. BC's career up to this point has gone the way of 95% of most GMs. If they are lucky (i.e. Steve Nash and Stoudemire) they are viewed as geniuses, and if they are unlucky (i.e. Bargnani) they are soon out of work. The bottom-line is BC is going to have to get lucky just as Hinkie or any other GM would have to do. Some Raptor's fans seem pretty salty for a team currently reaping a few rewards still from the BC era.

Bargnani missed on Bargnani.

"Brian Lewis: Bargnani missed last night’s game (illness), not at practice today (personal), unclear if he’ll play Sunday." What a signature that would make. Spurs with Messina wouldn't even take a flyer... The guy hates the game is my guess.
Att
Senior

Post#258 » by Att » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:04 pm

bedjawII wrote:
Att wrote:

1. Bargs wasn't the consensus first pick as you imply. That's just not true. BC gambled on him, missed and held on to his mistake till the very end.
2. Picking first is not a plan. Building around two players who don't fit together well (and that's an understatement) is not a plan. He was there seven years, not one year. He didn't have a proper plan. He doesn't understand or relate to strategy. He kept reacting trying to reach the playoff with win-now moves that only consider the now and disregard the future, depending on extremely mediocre talent to carry him. At some point, his teams were so bad that he got some young talent but it wasn't intentional.
3. That some of Toronto's current core is BC's doing is nothing to be proud of. In fact, it raises the question why wasn't he able to win with the same group of guys? He doesn't understand chemistry and team building and he doesn't inspire leadership.
4. You describe his failure as picking Bargs first and that's it but he had many many mistakes after that:
The Jermaine contract
The Hedo contract
The Kapono contract
The Marion exchange
Fields and Nash embarrassment
Picking Ross before Drummond
Not letting go of Bargs
Letting CB4 walk for nearly nothing
Trading the pick that became Hibbert
And obviously there are many more mistakes. When you don't have a strategy and you are trade hungry all the time, you will make numerous mistakes and you'll be busy trying to correct them. BC's tenure in Raptorland was a disaster. You want to call it luck? go ahead and lie to yourself. It was poor management.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#259 » by Negrodamus » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:39 pm

Here's another thing to consider, could Colangelo try to buy low on Carmelo if the Knicks can't put another star next to him at the end of the offseason?

Bryan could be looking to put a marketable player in Philly and NY might be blowing it up to build around Porzingis.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#260 » by Unbreakable99 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:05 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Here's another thing to consider, could Colangelo try to buy low on Carmelo if the Knicks can't put another star next to him at the end of the offseason?

Bryan could be looking to put a marketable player in Philly and NY might be blowing it up to build around Porzingis.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL NO!

Return to Philadelphia 76ers