ImageImageImage

Around the league 2016-2017

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Re: Around the league 2016-2017 

Post#1041 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:56 am

Cavs. Hate to play them in the playoffs. Got to have a potent offense to stand toe to toe with them
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1042 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:10 am

A lot of paper tiger teams in the east. If Sixers can slightly over achieve (considers health) then I don't think a 2nd-3rd seed/best behind theCavs is THAT unlikely.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#1043 » by Unbreakable99 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:36 am

The Bucks are going to be a problem for the foreseeable future. My goodness. They don't even have Parker. Just imagine Parker with Maker and Brogdon and Middleton and the Greek Freak. They are going to be a top 3 seed for a while. Ben will have to match up with Giannis. Embiid can control Maker and be a Giannis deterrent in the paint. Saric is going to have to not get embarrassed by Parker. I guess Covington can check Parker. Our pick or picks this year need to be playmakers. We will see the Bucks in 3 years in the Eastern Conference Finals.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1044 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:57 am

Unbreakable99 wrote:The Bucks are going to be a problem for the foreseeable future. My goodness. They don't even have Parker. Just imagine Parker with Maker and Brogdon and Middleton and the Greek Freak. They are going to be a top 3 seed for a while. Ben will have to match up with Giannis. Embiid can control Maker and be a Giannis deterrent in the paint. Saric is going to have to not get embarrassed by Parker. I guess Covington can check Parker. Our pick or picks this year need to be playmakers. We will see the Bucks in 3 years in the Eastern Conference Finals.

Yeah..

I was about to say we only have the other guy(s) who can collapse a D like LBJ in the east. But there's Giannis who's like a magnet for help D whenever he gets to the lane.

I think we can match-up well with them. Simmons will neutralize Giannis' edge in size. If you weaken Giannis, they are a lotto team. Im not worried on both Middleton and Jabari.

More problematic is the Cavs. We're still a long way to match-up their offensive firepower.
Unbreakable99
General Manager

Post#1045 » by Unbreakable99 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:02 am

76ciology wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:The Bucks are going to be a problem for the foreseeable future. My goodness. They don't even have Parker. Just imagine Parker with Maker and Brogdon and Middleton and the Greek Freak. They are going to be a top 3 seed for a while. Ben will have to match up with Giannis. Embiid can control Maker and be a Giannis deterrent in the paint. Saric is going to have to not get embarrassed by Parker. I guess Covington can check Parker. Our pick or picks this year need to be playmakers. We will see the Bucks in 3 years in the Eastern Conference Finals.

Yeah..

I was about to say we only have the other guy(s) who can collapse a D like LBJ in the east. But there's Giannis who's like a magnet for help D whenever he gets to the lane.

I think we can match-up well with them. Simmons will neutralize Giannis' edge in size. If you weaken Giannis, they are a lotto team. Im not worried on both Middleton and Jabari.

More problematic is the Cavs. We're still a long way to match-up their offensive firepower.

LeBron will be 35 in 3 years. Love may not age as well as LeBron and could regress. I think we will be rising while the Cavs will be fading unless they get another star to get with LeBron.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1046 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:06 am

Unbreakable99 wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Yeah..

LeBron will be 35 in 3 years. Love may not age as well as LeBron and could regress. I think we will be rising while the Cavs will be fading unless they get another star to get with LeBron.

I could be wrong.
I don't think we want to wait 3 years to be LEGIT. After this draft, I think we'll be in all in win now mentality. There's just a lot of uncertainty with Biid's health that we need to win now.

That said, I'm referring to that Cavs/LBJ team for the next 3 years.
Unbreakable99
General Manager

Post#1047 » by Unbreakable99 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:17 am

76ciology wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Yeah..

I could be wrong.
I don't think we want to wait 3 years to be LEGIT. After this draft, I think we'll be in all in win now mentality. There's just a lot of uncertainty with Biid's health that we need to win now.

I'm talking reaching the conference finals not the playoffs. It takes time. No way we get to the he conference finals even if we added Butler or George to go along with Ball or Fuktz or Jackson. We would have a legit playoff squad but teams usually progress. We might lose in the 1st or second round next year if we make the playoffs. Then we might rush the conference finals and lose in hear two. It yeah if we add a star player or even a non star player but he's a good player we should be good enough to make the playoffs. Forming a team takes time to gel from season one. We could have growing pains next year and miss the playoffs.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1048 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:43 am

Unbreakable99 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:

I could be wrong.

I'm talking reaching the conference finals not the playoffs. It takes time. No way we get to the he conference finals even if we added Butler or George to go along with Ball or Fuktz or Jackson. We would have a legit playoff squad but teams usually progress. We might lose in the 1st or second round next year if we make the playoffs. Then we might rush the conference finals and lose in hear two. It yeah if we add a star player or even a non star player but he's a good player we should be good enough to make the playoffs. Forming a team takes time to gel from season one. We could have growing pains next year and miss the playoffs.

Fair enough.

Just getting carried away with how weak the east is.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1049 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:01 am

I can see the theme for the playoffs in the east will be the battle of the point forwards with LBJ vs Giannis vs Ben Simmons! Quite a story line.

Top teams in the league..
LBJ
Ben Simmons
Giannis
Durant
Kawhi

Got to have an elite wing to be a contender
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,419

Post#1050 » by Eyeamok » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:29 am

76ciology wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Yeah..

I could be wrong.

LBJ has a lot of ware and tear on that body. I don't doubt he can continue to play at a high level for the next few years. But always going to the playoffs and then to the finals, has to take it's toll on anyone. And it's not like he is in his 20's. It's going to be rough on him going forward which starts to leave an opening in the East. But things are fluid in the NBA. What looks like a straight path to the playoffs and the representing the East can quickly change. The 76ers have a lot of unanswered questions. As great as the potential of Embiid and Simmons is. These two are the teams biggest question marks. We can postulate about how great they are going to be and throw out comparisons to Magic and Hakeem. But let's get them to play an actual season together in the NBA. 60+ games next season would be a great start.

And while Ben and Embiid get it together the Bucks are learning how to play and win in the playoffs ( and possibly advance) all with Parker being injured. Going forward, their length and experience is going to be a problem for every team in the East. And they are making a statement with Jason Kidd as their coach. A coach that most bucks fans seem to hate and think is holding the team back!
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1051 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:59 am

Eyeamok wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:

I could be wrong.

LBJ has a lot of ware and tear on that body. I don't doubt he can continue to play at a high level for the next few years. But always going to the playoffs and then to the finals, has to take it's toll on anyone. And it's not like he is in his 20's. It's going to be rough on him going forward which starts to leave an opening in the East. But things are fluid in the NBA. What looks like a straight path to the playoffs and the representing the East can quickly change. The 76ers have a lot of unanswered questions. As great as the potential of Embiid and Simmons is. These two are the teams biggest question marks. We can postulate about how great they are going to be and throw out comparisons to Magic and Hakeem. But let's get them to play an actual season together in the NBA. 60+ games next season would be a great start.

And while Ben and Embiid get it together the Bucks are learning how to play and win in the playoffs ( and possibly advance) all with Parker being injured. Going forward, their length and experience is going to be a problem for every team in the East. And they are making a statement with Jason Kidd as their coach. A coach that most bucks fans seem to hate and think is holding the team back!

So..

Sixers = ?
Bucks = uptrend
Cavs = likely to be on downtrend
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1052 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:21 am

Read on Twitter
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#1053 » by shawn_hemp » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:15 am

I think we would match up with the Bucks pretty well next year actually

figure Simmons guards Jabari

Covington guards GA

TLC would have to guard Middleton I guess

But who do they got guarding Embiid? Monroe? Thon Maker?

good luck.

Our team is deeper than theirs, considering we will bring Dario, Richaun, and Stauskas off the bench.

Ever take a look at some of the Bucks bench players? I understand the playoffs have shortened rotations but the disparity is quite noticeable IMO.

I'm with you though 76ciology, the more I think about it, I really don't find it to be that outrageous to expect a massive improvement next season.

And to the point of we won't make the conference finals right away, I mean, why not necessarily?
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#1054 » by Kolkmania » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:13 am

We are at least a better match than the Raptors, offensively and defensively.

Their best defenders, Lowry and Ibaka, are matched against their low usage players. Carroll is massively overrated as a defender and Tucker is their best shot at guarding Giannis, which leaves another elite perimeter played in Khris Middleton. We have Covington, one of the best perimeter defenders, TLC, Anderson and probably the best rim protector in the league with Gobert.
Go under every screen in P&R's by Giannis and let him shoot, if he makes 5 of out 9 3's you'll probably lose, but I'm willing to bet on that. If he attacks, he faces Embiid and we already saw how the Bucks fared with that threat this season.

The Bucks' defense is so aggressive and that's the perfect match against slow and stagnant Raptors offense. If we move the ball like we did this year, they are going to miss some rotations that will lead to open shots. Crucial that we will limit the inevitable live-ball turnovers that leads to transition points for the Bucks.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,419

Post#1055 » by Eyeamok » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:28 am

76ciology wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
76ciology wrote:I could be wrong.

So..

Sixers = ?
Bucks = uptrend
Cavs = likely to be on downtrend

Si señor.

But the NBA is not static. Trades could happen at any moment to vault a medicore team into a contender. Remember when the 76ers traded for Andrew Bynum....wait that is not a good example. :D
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#1056 » by Kobblehead » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:49 am

Milwaukee has the best young piece in the East in Giannis, but I don't love their core. Some of their best players all play the same position.

I think Washington, assuming they retain Porter, are a young big away from being the best longterm threat.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1057 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:44 pm

Read on Twitter
:lol:
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1058 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:48 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Milwaukee has the best young piece in the East in Giannis, but I don't love their core. Some of their best players all play the same position.

I think Washington, assuming they retain Porter, are a young big away from being the best longterm threat.

Subjective. I still have Bucks over wiz.

1.) wing depth and talent is power
2.) giannis for me is a bigger star talent than wall
3.) bucks have guys with higher upsides than wiz

Sixers over them both by big margin tho
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#1059 » by Ericb5 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:53 pm

I think that Lebron is in the Jordan realm where his team will be the favorite every year until he is too old to do it anymore.

There are probably at least 3 more years after this year until that happens, so worrying about the Cavs is a problem that we will have to deal with eventually.

The Bucks don't scare me at all though. I mean they are a legitimate rival, and an up and coming team in the east, and they are ahead of us at the moment, but a healthy Embiid, and Simmons trumps a healthy Giannis any day.

Pretty soon it will be the case that any team with a healthy Embiid on it will be a huge problem for opponents, especially in the playoffs.
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 703

Post#1060 » by AI_Efficiency » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:57 pm

Ericb5 wrote:I think that Lebron is in the Jordan realm where his team will be the favorite every year until he is too old to do it anymore.

There are probably at least 3 more years after this year until that happens, so worrying about the Cavs is a problem that we will have to deal with eventually.

The Bucks don't scare me at all though. I mean they are a legitimate rival, and an up and coming team in the east, and they are ahead of us at the moment, but a healthy Embiid, and Simmons trumps a healthy Giannis any day.

Pretty soon it will be the case that any team with a healthy Embiid on it will be a huge problem for opponents, especially in the playoffs.

Yea, I agree that a healthy Embiid is key. Some stats out there suggest that the Sixers were already playing like a 50 win team when Embiid was on the court. This is without Simmons, Bayless, any rookies we draft, and another year of development from our players. The question is just whether Embiid can stay healthy. Until he makes it through a full season it's hard to feel too confident. Fingers crossed though this is the year he avoids injury.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers