ImageImageImage

"Sam Hinkie Speaks" [ESPN Article]

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

KramerDSP
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Re: "Sam Hinkie Speaks" [ESPN Article] 

Post#41 » by KramerDSP » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:37 pm

rallydurham wrote:I love hinkie and everything he represents. He made me follow this team and adopt it as my closet team.

But the okafor over porzingis pick never made sense and it was his ultimate undoing. Porzingis provides the defense, shooting, spacing, etc that they absolutely needed.

Just imagine porzingis, embiid, and noel as a 4/5 rotation... ugh... Add Simmons or ingram to the mi along with saric and all those future draft picks.... you're looking at possibly the best assembly of young talent ever.... I can't even imagine if he'd picked giannis on top of that

There's a sizeable group of Sixers fans, myself included, that believe Hinkie was going to take Porzingis, but was overruled by the ownership because of optics reasons.

Ben Simmons at point forward with 7'3" Kristaps Porzingis at the 4 and 7'2" Joel Embiid at the 5 is the most exciting team in the league.
"I don’t wanna be Jordan, I don’t wanna be Magic, I don’t wanna be Bird or Isiah. I don’t wanna be any of those guys. When my career’s over, I''m gonna look in the mirror and say I did it my way.”- Allen Iverson
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,859

Post#42 » by Phila Tough » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:44 pm

We likely win more games with Zingas due to better fit and miss out on Ben Simmons. So yeah, there's that.
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#43 » by Winejk » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:00 pm

KramerDSP wrote:Ben Simmons at point forward with 7'3" Kristaps Porzingis at the 4 and 7'2" Joel Embiid at the 5 is the most exciting team in the league.

I might disagree with this. I'm still not convinced KP will have a better career than Okafor, and I think Okafor and Embiid can co-exist. I freely admit I may end up wrong, but as of now, I'm still happy that the Sixers have Okafor.

If the tables had been turned, KP had been drafted by the Sixers and Okafor by the Knicks, I think KP would have looked a lot worse on the dysfunctional Sixers, and Okafor would have looked a lot better with some other professional players. The Knicks and the media would have pumped Okafor up and he might have given Towns a challenge for ROY. It's all conjecture at this point but plausible.

Even with a superior team than Okafor, KP has some serious question marks. Everyone rips on Okafor's lack of rebounding, but KP is only marginally better than Okafor (14% to 12.8%). People think he can shoot from 3, but his 3p% was .333 which is below average in the NBA. He hasn't really shown any post offense. His fg% is sub par and he hasn't really been asked to create his own shot. He's been allowed to be a complimentary player, but has not shown any propensity to carry a team on his shoulders. To me Okafor has shown enough glimpses that he will be able to carry a team on offense in the future which is why I still like having Okafor. KP certainly will grow and maybe some of his weaknesses become less so in the future, but the same is true of Okafor and his weaknesses.

At any rate I still think Simmons, Okafor and Embiid is just as exciting if not more exciting than Simmons, KP and Embiid.
rallydurham
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#44 » by rallydurham » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:01 pm

Eh not necessarily. You're a significantly better team with porzingis. And much better with Noel playing center and okafor not playing. But you were still behind the lakers by 7 games.

I think the roster upgrade would be worth about that many wins but it wouldn't be tough to fake a few losses and keep the tank intact for simmons.

Ingram isn't the worst consolation prize either
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#45 » by Arsenal » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:31 pm

Who knows what would have happened. I will say this, the Porzingis hype is out of control due to the NY media/fanbase. The guy was in a MUCH better situation than Okafor, who was in one of the WORST situations in NBA history in terms of the team around him.

We'll have a better idea about things after this season when Okafor has real NBA teammates around him.
sixers23
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#46 » by sixers23 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:43 pm

Arsenal wrote:Who knows what would have happened. I will say this, the Porzingis hype is out of control due to the NY media/fanbase. The guy was in a MUCH better situation than Okafor, who was in one of the WORST situations in NBA history in terms of the team around him.

We'll have a better idea about things after this season when Okafor has real NBA teammates around him.

hopefully a different team entirely
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#47 » by Foshan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:58 am

gotta say, every time i read/hear about Sam Hinkie 'the person' I gotta say I like him more and more. That thing he did with Morely eating out to prep him, genius. Hearing him excitedly pointing out the 'little things' in the tourney how guys shot the ball or rebounded or whatever, just shows a great mind for th details. I really appreciate that.
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#48 » by PhillyNj » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:02 am

Arsenal wrote:Who knows what would have happened. I will say this, the Porzingis hype is out of control due to the NY media/fanbase. The guy was in a MUCH better situation than Okafor, who was in one of the WORST situations in NBA history in terms of the team around him.

I totally agree. I'd still take Okafor over the extremely hyped prozingas.
And do believe Okafor and Noel will be greatly improved with real nba players around them!
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#49 » by rzzzzz » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:30 am

Foshan wrote:gotta say, every time i read/hear about Sam Hinkie 'the person' I gotta say I like him more and more.

I liked that he drove Turner to the airport after he traded him. and Wiggins said that dinner with Hinkie after the pre-draft workout was pure class.
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#50 » by Resistance » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:38 am

hookshot199 wrote:
oyoyer wrote:The reason Silver stepped in was the bad press, plain and simple.

Silver's predecessor should have stepped in when Doug Collins gave away our future for Bynum…or when Billy King trade Brooklyn's future to Boston. They shouldn't have it both ways.

The league had already blocked the Lakers once when they tried to do New Orleans wrong on the Chris Paul - Pau Gasol trade. The league probably lacked the backbone to block the Lakers again when they did Philly wrong on the Bynum trade.

I always found it interesting that Laker fans would slam Hinkie for tanking when their own front office shares some responsibility for driving the 76ers into the ground with the Bynum trade which led to the eventual hiring of Sam.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,443

Post#51 » by Eyeamok » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:54 am

Phila Tough wrote:We likely win more games with Zingas due to better fit and miss out on Ben Simmons. So yeah, there's that.

Yes yes and yes.

And I'd be posting in the welcome Jaylen Brown thread.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,563

Post#52 » by NYSixersFan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:57 am

Has Scam Hinkie been hired by another team?
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by Eyeamok » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:10 am

rallydurham wrote:Eh not necessarily. You're a significantly better team with porzingis. And much better with Noel playing center and okafor not playing. But you were still behind the lakers by 7 games.

I think the roster upgrade would be worth about that many wins but it wouldn't be tough to fake a few losses and keep the tank intact for simmons.

Ingram isn't the worst consolation prize either

It's the 76ers we are talking about. With Porzingis we would not even have Ingram today.

We engineer a massive trade and get probably the 2nd best center in the NBA. We are going to the playoffs and who knows what may happen or how far we could advance. But the 2nd best center is damaged goods and never plays a game for us. So
Year 1 we tank and tank hard for Wiggins and get the 3rd pick.
Year 2 we tanked even harder and we get........Yep the 3rd pick.
Year 3 if we had porzingis we would be talking ourselves into believing that Jaylen Brown was the guy we wanted all the time.

This is why our GM did what he did. Desperate times called for desperate measures.

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by Eyeamok » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:12 am

NYSixersFan wrote:Has Scam Hinkie been hired by another team?

Did you hear. Embiid is finally healthy, Ben Simmons got drafted #1 by the 76ers and Saric is coming over to play next season.

Marlo
NYSixersFan
Analyst

Post#55 » by NYSixersFan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:16 am

Eyeamok wrote:

Did you hear. Embiid is finally healthy, Ben Simmons got drafted #1 by the 76ers and Saric is coming over to play next season.

All great news...combined with an actual GM, I have high hopes
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by Eyeamok » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:27 am

NYSixersFan wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

You do realize that all the great news is courtesy of Sam....yes of course you do. :D

As for your actual GM he has had the good sense not to do anything to rock the boat Sam put in motion,,,it's like GM by proxy....so good on BC.

It's like weekend at Bernie's.

Marlo
sixers23
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#57 » by sixers23 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:27 am

I didn't know you posted here Howard
NYSixersFan
Analyst

Post#58 » by NYSixersFan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:28 am

Eyeamok wrote:
NYSixersFan wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

You do realize that all the great news is courtesy of Sam....yes of course you do. :D

As for your actual GM he has had the good sense not to do anything to rock the boat Sam put in motion,,,it's like GM by proxy....so good on BC.

LOL...you guys are loyal....delusional...but loyal....I'll give you that
NYSixersFan
Analyst

Post#59 » by NYSixersFan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:29 am

sixers23 wrote:

I didn't know you posted here Howard

Howard to stole that nickname from me :)
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by Eyeamok » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:30 am

NYSixersFan wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
NYSixersFan wrote:

LOL...you guys are loyal....delusional...but loyal....I'll give you that

Where does the delusional part come in. Even you have admitted it has all been great news. All generated by Sam. So where does the delusion come in?

Marlo

Return to Philadelphia 76ers