ImageImageImage

Sixers Beach Bash

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Sixers Beach Bash 

Post#1 » by Ericb5 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:14 pm

http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/simmons-embiid-host-annual-sixers-beach-bash-august-27th-0/

I'm planning to attend this event in Avalon on the 27th specifically for the chance to meet Simmons, and Embiid, and get their autographs.

I have never attended one of these before though, and I have some questions that maybe someone here can answer.

1. Do you think that they will personalize the signature, or is it a straight signing of their name? I'm wondering if they will write my name, or maybe a hashtag like "TrustTheProcess.

2. Can you usually get a handshake and a photo too?

3. Does the event usually provide something for them to sign, or will I have to bring something? CAN I bring something?

4. Since it is for charity, I 'm assuming that they will want as much money generated as possible. Do you think that I could pay twice so I could get something signed for my brother who can't attend?

Anyone else planning on going?
sixers23
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Re: Sixers Beach Bash 

Post#2 » by sixers23 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:46 pm

surprised simmons can sign autographs since he signed to upper deck
AlexD
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#3 » by AlexD » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:57 am

Ericb5 wrote:http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/simmons-embiid-host-annual-sixers-beach-bash-august-27th-0/

I'm planning to attend this event in Avalon on the 27th specifically for the chance to meet Simmons, and Embiid, and get their autographs.

I have never attended one of these before though, and I have some questions that maybe someone here can answer.

1. Do you think that they will personalize the signature, or is it a straight signing of their name? I'm wondering if they will write my name, or maybe a hashtag like "TrustTheProcess.

2. Can you usually get a handshake and a photo too?

3. Does the event usually provide something for them to sign, or will I have to bring something? CAN I bring something?

4. Since it is for charity, I 'm assuming that they will want as much money generated as possible. Do you think that I could pay twice so I could get something signed for my brother who can't attend?

Anyone else planning on going?

I've been there once in 2009. Jrue and Jason Smith have been there that time.

I'm not sure about signature personalization. That time there was a big line of people, for Jrue especially. And Jrue and Jason were signing just their names. But you can ask and knowing Embiid's personality you never know :D
There were blank cards for autographs, which you could grab I you needed (i attached photo of them below). It's two of them, the second is for my friend (there is also Eddie Jordan signature :D), so you can do it for your brother or anyone else I guess. And you don't have to pay money for that, it's free.
Some other guys even had jersey, basketballs and so on and players were signing them too. So I think you can bring whatever you want them to sign on.
You also can make pictures with players along with getting autographs. I had no problem to make a picture with Jason. But the picture came out too dark and I caught him later after autograph session and did a better one.
I've been at the end of Jrue's line and when came my turn some guy from Sixers staff said there was not enough time to do picture so I got only autograph at first. But I stayed there waiting line to end and when Jrue finished I came to him once again, shaked his hand and finally made my picture.
Then was also a funny story when I almost got interviewed by Dei Lynam :D Shaking Jrue's hand I mentioned that I came for the event from Russia and then later some guy from Sixers staff approached me and said they wanted to interview me. But something went wrong and it hasn't happened. But instead they allowed me to choose anything for free from the stuff they were selling (mostly old jersey and stuff. Not much of really interesting items). I got old 'Hip-Hop' jersey with #76. And even though I haven't got interviewed, Dei mentioned me as a fan from Russia in her story on CSN later (I even saved this video, if you want to see it I put in under spoiler :D)
Overall it was very fun experience. The atmosphere was very nice and friendly. You have opportunity there to do some small talk with players and coaches. I'd definetely recommend it to everyone to attend it if you have a chance.

Ericb5
RealGM

Post#4 » by Ericb5 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:07 pm

Great info. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#5 » by Ericb5 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:04 pm

Anyone going today?

I'm driving down there. No idea what to expect, but hoping for the best, and will take plenty of photos, and post them if possible.

Ericb5
RealGM

Post#6 » by Ericb5 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Well this event is a disaster. I was in line at 3:01 for an event that lasts from 3-6, and the marketing person walked by at 3:14 and said that they ran out of autograph vouchers and we won't get any.

I'm staying in line to get raped for my $20 anyway, but this sucks. I drove 2.5 hours by myself to be here, and I'm going to get nothing.

Ericb5
RealGM

Post#7 » by Ericb5 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:07 pm

Complete waste of my Saturday.

After waiting in line, and being told that I won't get an autograph, the lady comes back and tells everyone in line that this line is only for the kiddy games, and if we want to get into the bar(the advertised location of the beach bash mind you) that that is a different line.

Of course the line immediately disintegrates and reforms where it is actually supposed to go.

Then I get inside, and Embiid and Simmons are standing there taking pictures. I'm thinking that my luck has turned around. I walk right up to them and get stopped by a bouncer telling me that it is only for VIP pass holders. I asked him where those were being sold, and he told me that they aren't.

So let me just get this straight now. The Sixers advertise that the beach bash is from 3-6 at Jack's place in Avalon, and Embiid and Simmons will be signing autographs, and the tickets cost $20. They say nothing about needing vouchers for autographs, and run out of them in the first 10-15 minutes.

It says nothing about VIP passes, or that the actual event that is $20 is next door, and that if you want to go to Jack's place that it is $10 and is a completely different line.

I literally blew my whole Saturday on a complete waste of time. I was standing right next to Scott O'Neil and was just about to rip him a new **** when he got pulled away so I didn't get to do that.

I have no recourse now, but to drive home with my tail between my legs. I'll complain to the Sixers, but it won't do anything.

For the record, the way to do an event like this is to be completely upfront.

If there are only 150 vouchers available to get autographs then say that explicitly on the website. I would have been here 5 hours ago if I knew that this was the case.

If the event isn't in Jack's place then don't advertise it as being there.

If there are hundreds of people standing in the only obvious line that exists only to get up to the from and be told that to get In to the bar it is a different line then you have failed as an event planner.

If VIP tickets were required to get photos with the players, then advertise that, and explain to me how I can get them.

No wonder I'm the only person on this board here. They have no idea what they are doing in creating an event, and they have now made me a life long evangelist of disuading people to go to Sixers events.

Well done Sixers.

Cheatergriffin
Pro Prospect
And1: 356

Post#8 » by Cheatergriffin » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:50 pm

Im assuming which is usually never a good thing, but a friend of mine always goes to bowling events with local pro athletes and its a "who u know" type deal. Thats my best guess.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,718

Post#9 » by 76thBearCub » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:53 pm

Man, that's ridiculous. And disappointing as a fan of the team.
Tony Franciosa
Sixth Man
And1: 950

Post#10 » by Tony Franciosa » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:52 pm

does anyone in South Jersey even know we have a basketball team? I thought that was Flyers country.

yeah, they should be embracing as much of the LOYAL fanbase as possible with these kinds of things to make up for the suffering we've endured. I'm sure it was chocked full of early front runners who go for the "names" and it will only get worse in teh coming years. It's gonna be sickening watching the bandwagon runneth over in the next 2-3 years.
Los5782
Junior
And1: 213

Post#11 » by Los5782 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:52 pm

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/joel-embiid-basketball-children/2/

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
MCDubz-?-KD/Lebron-Noel-Embiid SixerNation!
Los5782
Junior
And1: 213

Post#12 » by Los5782 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:59 pm

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/08/joel-embiid-block-kid-76ers-ben-simmons here's some more

Read on Twitter

there's some more clips in the article, including some with Ben , just didn't want overly do it posting 'em all here.
MCDubz-?-KD/Lebron-Noel-Embiid SixerNation!
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Post#13 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:59 am

Ericb5 wrote:..

Feel free to tell this guy so he can respond by blocking you:
https://twitter.com/ScottONeil
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#14 » by LloydFree » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:21 am

Looks like a good time.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#15 » by cksdayoff » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:31 am

Los5782 wrote:http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/08/joel-embiid-block-kid-76ers-ben-simmons here's some more

Read on Twitter

there's some more clips in the article, including some with Ben , just didn't want overly do it posting 'em all here.

is that seriously a 10 foot tall rim?
#failforfultz
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by 76thBearCub » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:31 pm

cksdayoff wrote:
Los5782 wrote:http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/08/joel-embiid-block-kid-76ers-ben-simmons here's some more

Read on Twitter

He's grow again!
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by 76thBearCub » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:31 pm

76thBearCub wrote:
cksdayoff wrote:

Read on Twitter

He's grown again!
jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Post#18 » by jbent87 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:05 pm

sixers23 wrote:surprised simmons can sign autographs since he signed to upper deck

he couldn't. More than half the people that showed up couldnt meet Simmons/Embiid and Simmons wasn't allowed to sign personalized items bc Rich Paul was there and was enforcing that.
jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Post#19 » by jbent87 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:09 pm

Ericb5 wrote:Complete waste of my Saturday.

After waiting in line, and being told that I won't get an autograph, the lady comes back and tells everyone in line that this line is only for the kiddy games, and if we want to get into the bar(the advertised location of the beach bash mind you) that that is a different line.

Of course the line immediately disintegrates and reforms where it is actually supposed to go.

Then I get inside, and Embiid and Simmons are standing there taking pictures. I'm thinking that my luck has turned around. I walk right up to them and get stopped by a bouncer telling me that it is only for VIP pass holders. I asked him where those were being sold, and he told me that they aren't.

So let me just get this straight now. The Sixers advertise that the beach bash is from 3-6 at Jack's place in Avalon, and Embiid and Simmons will be signing autographs, and the tickets cost $20. They say nothing about needing vouchers for autographs, and run out of them in the first 10-15 minutes.

It says nothing about VIP passes, or that the actual event that is $20 is next door, and that if you want to go to Jack's place that it is $10 and is a completely different line.

I literally blew my whole Saturday on a complete waste of time. I was standing right next to Scott O'Neil and was just about to rip him a new **** when he got pulled away so I didn't get to do that.

I have no recourse now, but to drive home with my tail between my legs. I'll complain to the Sixers, but it won't do anything.

If there are only 150 vouchers available to get autographs then say that explicitly on the website. I would have been here 5 hours ago if I knew that this was the case.

If there are hundreds of people standing in the only obvious line that exists only to get up to the from and be told that to get In to the bar it is a different line then you have failed as an event planner.

If VIP tickets were required to get photos with the players, then advertise that, and explain to me how I can get them.

No wonder I'm the only person on this board here. They have no idea what they are doing in creating an event, and they have now made me a life long evangelist of disuading people to go to Sixers events.

Well done Sixers.

I'm with ya. Posted this in the Sixers thread of the Eagles Message Board forum where I also go for Sixers stuff.

Was at the beach bash - couple thoughts:

It was somewhat of a scam. Line wrapped around the corner and down the block to get in and as it started moving they had a girl in a Sixers shirt come out and tell everyone that they ran out of passes to meet Embiid/Simmons at their tent for autographs. Also, they weren't signing any personal belongings. BUT we could still make an attempt at grabbing an autograph/picture from/with Embiid later the day but definitely CANNOT with Simmons "because his agent is here and he's not having it." Thought that was weird and shady. Got the impression that Rich Paul is kinda a D.

So we get up to the front, pay our $20 which basically granted us access to the area everything was happening at and "games" which were there for the kids obviously but that was it. When we went to head into the bar once we realized that there wasn't much for us to do since we couldnt meet Embiid/Simmons there was another $10 cover at the door, despite us paying the $20 for the Sixers part of it right outside. Also, the wheel that they promoted as having Sixers prizes was $10 a spin and the merchandise promotions was actually just a card that gave you 10% off an online order. So the financial part of this whole thing wasn't really worth it.

Some Sixers things that were cool was being outside when Embiid/Simmons emerged from the bar to head to their tent to sign for the 200 or so out of the 5k+ people there that were actually able to get an autograph, as they walked right by me. Don't know how else to describe Embiid. He is just a massive human being. Both were swarmed w security and people were trying for high fives - Simmons gave them out but Embiid was stone faced and didn't acknowledge/high five anyone which some of my group didn't like.

Embiid was his goofy self though. I went outside to meet a friend and there was an area where while on the outside of the event you were still just 10 yards from Embiids tent and could see him signing for ppl who got the pass - fans were yelling in from the sidewalk to Embiid a bunch of stuff (Trust the Process! Hinkie died for this/We all from Africa) and he acknowledged and laughed at almost all of it.

I also passed by Scott O Neil once and dropped a "you did Hinkie dirty Scott" which he ignored. Wasn't trying to be an ahole or get kicked out, just wanted to get a shot in that the real fans don't give a damn about him and respect where we're at bc of Hinkie.

That's about it. TLC was there too and didn't have his own tent so people could meet him, my group got a pic w him - didn't seem to know a lot of English but seemed very cool.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#20 » by Ericb5 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:48 pm

jbent87 wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:Complete waste of my Saturday.

Well done Sixers.

I'm with ya. Posted this in the Sixers thread of the Eagles Message Board forum where I also go for Sixers stuff.

Was at the beach bash - couple thoughts:

It was somewhat of a scam. Line wrapped around the corner and down the block to get in and as it started moving they had a girl in a Sixers shirt come out and tell everyone that they ran out of passes to meet Embiid/Simmons at their tent for autographs. Also, they weren't signing any personal belongings. BUT we could still make an attempt at grabbing an autograph/picture from/with Embiid later the day but definitely CANNOT with Simmons "because his agent is here and he's not having it." Thought that was weird and shady. Got the impression that Rich Paul is kinda a D.

So we get up to the front, pay our $20 which basically granted us access to the area everything was happening at and "games" which were there for the kids obviously but that was it. When we went to head into the bar once we realized that there wasn't much for us to do since we couldnt meet Embiid/Simmons there was another $10 cover at the door, despite us paying the $20 for the Sixers part of it right outside. Also, the wheel that they promoted as having Sixers prizes was $10 a spin and the merchandise promotions was actually just a card that gave you 10% off an online order. So the financial part of this whole thing wasn't really worth it.

Some Sixers things that were cool was being outside when Embiid/Simmons emerged from the bar to head to their tent to sign for the 200 or so out of the 5k+ people there that were actually able to get an autograph, as they walked right by me. Don't know how else to describe Embiid. He is just a massive human being. Both were swarmed w security and people were trying for high fives - Simmons gave them out but Embiid was stone faced and didn't acknowledge/high five anyone which some of my group didn't like.

Embiid was his goofy self though. I went outside to meet a friend and there was an area where while on the outside of the event you were still just 10 yards from Embiids tent and could see him signing for ppl who got the pass - fans were yelling in from the sidewalk to Embiid a bunch of stuff (Trust the Process! Hinkie died for this/We all from Africa) and he acknowledged and laughed at almost all of it.

I also passed by Scott O Neil once and dropped a "you did Hinkie dirty Scott" which he ignored. Wasn't trying to be an ahole or get kicked out, just wanted to get a shot in that the real fans don't give a damn about him and respect where we're at bc of Hinkie.

That's about it. TLC was there too and didn't have his own tent so people could meet him, my group got a pic w him - didn't seem to know a lot of English but seemed very cool.

Same experience. It was a very poorly run event, and that is what it comes down to. When they give out bobble heads at games they always say things like "for the first 5000 fans" or whatever. The whole idea of giving out a limited number of vouchers for autographs, and not saying that ahead of time is flat out shady.

I'm not asking for special treatment. I just want honest, and correct information so I can make my plans accordingly. I blew my entire Saturday on it, and that was because I assumed that what they advertised was going to be the case. An event from 3-6 with Simmons and Embiid signing autographs. Maybe it is legally true, but it is effectively a lie since only the first 100-200 people could get autographs.

I still got to see Simmons and Embiid in person, and that was cool, but not worth the effort.

I basically drove 2.5 hours by myself, then stood in line for an hour, then paid $10 to get into the bar, then walked out without even getting a beer, and drove back home, seething the whole time.

Unfortunately I'm the type of fan that is dedicated for life so they can do whatever they want to me, and I am forced to be a die hard fan. It sucks though, and I wish that there was just a little appreciation thrown to the diehards.

Bodner should write a story about how the Sixers event was a mess. Nobody else is doing it, and the Sixers are getting away with the positive press coverage of it.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers