ImageImageImage

Embiid tweaks 3 times (knee twice, ankle once) in 5 games

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,182

Embiid tweaks 3 times (knee twice, ankle once) in 5 games 

Post#1 » by eyeatoma » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:06 am

So there have been 3 occasions now where Embiid has tweaked something. Twice his knee buckled (one where he slipped on water he spilt lol... And one where a scrub took him down). Today he fell after hitting the stantion abs tweaked the ankle of his surgically repaired foot...

All three times I nearly threw up... All times he got up... And shook it off...

What I wonder is that are his knees ankles just brittle? Does he need to add lower base and leg strength?

I hope its the latter? Does anyone one of there are exercises for this? Could the sixers have Embiid do them? Don't even get me started with how he lands after a block or some rebounds...

Can be get training on how to land properly?

Tell me there is something guys... With the rate he's having these incidents it seems like only a matter of time before something more serious occurs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Re: Embiid tweaks 3 times in 5 games 

Post#2 » by CoreyGallagher » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:08 am

It's worrisome when it happens, but it's basketball. He should add lower body strength, but in a sport that requires so much jumping and movement some of it is just inevitable and at least he kept playing after every occurrence.

I'm inclined to believe that because we're always watching him that it seems like it happens more, but it happens to every player.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#3 » by LongLiveHinkie » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:10 am

No use worrying about something you can't control. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#4 » by eyeatoma » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:11 am

CoreyGallagher wrote:It's worrisome when it happens, but it's basketball.

So no sort of strength training, or tumbling drills can occur? I feel that this happens a ridiculous amount of times with him. Actually to be honest, even during his Kansas days, there were times that he had blocks, where he seemed off balance when he landed. I wonder if that's what caused the stress fractures...

I'd think this is stuff they would have gone over when he was in Qatar...
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#5 » by eyeatoma » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:13 am

CoreyGallagher wrote:It's worrisome when it happens, but it's basketball. He should add some lower body strength, but in a sport that requires so much jumping and movement some of it is just inevitable, at least he kept playing after every occurrence. It happens to literally every player, it's just that our eyes are always on Embiid.

I guess that's true as well... I dunno, I feel like it happens with other players, but his just seem to be a lot more magnified (mostly from all eyes on his)... It's just unnerving. Not sure when that feeling will subside.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,073

Post#6 » by Embiid P » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:27 am

eyeatoma wrote:So there have been 3 occasions now where Embiid has tweaked something. Twice his knee buckled (one where he slipped on water he spilt lol... And one where a scrub took him down). Today he fell after hitting the stantion abs tweaked the ankle of his surgically repaired foot...

All three times I nearly threw up... All times he got up... And shook it off...

What I wonder is that are his knees ankles just brittle? Does he need to add lower base and leg strength?

I hope its the latter? Does anyone one of there are exercises for this? Could the sixers have Embiid do them? Don't even get me started with how he lands after a block or some rebounds...

Can be get training on how to land properly?

Tell me there is something guys... With the rate he's having these incidents it seems like only a matter of time before something more serious occurs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Admittedly it is worrisome given Embiid's injury history, but at the same time, as someone else here said, we can't keep him in bubble wrap forever. The more physical you play, the more likely you are to get knocked down. Case in point: Despite his slight frame, AI landed on his butt nearly every time he drove into the paint.

Embiid is so big that he even caused Drummond who is a beast in his own right to feel pain when he collided with him. So as long as he's on the court, he's going to hurt opposing big men just as much if not more than they'll hurt him.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt for him to add more muscle mass in his lower body to reduce the risk of injury, but I'm sure he got some advice from world class PTs in Qatar on how to reduce his risk of re-injury.

Maybe the Sixers should hire someone like Simone Biles to teach him how to land properly lol. Aside from that, I'm not sure there's anything that can be done to help him in that department.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,470

Re: Embiid tweaks 3 times (knee twice, ankle once) in 5 games 

Post#7 » by Pattycakes » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:33 am

As someone who witnessed every moment of the Greg Oden debacle first hand, I pray hard for Embiid. I felt like I got cheated on by my wife everytime he went down.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,807

Post#8 » by Mik317 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:08 am

he is a big man and needs to learn how to fall. Its something Noel had to learn too.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,718

Post#9 » by 76thBearCub » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:46 pm

Hopefully he is just getting used to full court basketball with full contact again. He was in a basketball bubble for over 2 years.
BNelley24
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#10 » by BNelley24 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:18 pm

I think it mainly has to do with someone his size having crazy mobility. It is almost as if he's overdoing what a human body can tolerate lol
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#11 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:11 pm

It was similar in college, the guy has always had poor balance and underwhelming lower body strength compared to his strong upper body. He needs one or two offseasons fully dedicated to improve balance and lower body strength.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#12 » by Ericb5 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:29 pm

BNelley24 wrote:I think it mainly has to do with someone his size having crazy mobility. It is almost as if he's overdoing what a human body can tolerate lol

I think that it is partly this, but it is also just that players of his size don't usually compete so hard out in space. He plays a lot harder than Shaq ever did for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Highfive
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#13 » by Highfive » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:08 pm

Doing yoga would help with flexibility. Tight weight lifting muscles are more apt to get injured when joints are accidentally bent in abnormal ways. A flexible body is less likely to get injured.

I also think that some gentle gymnastic tumbling exercises on a mat would teach him some falling or landing techniques.
roma258
Analyst
And1: 901

Post#14 » by roma258 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:19 pm

I can't help but thing that someone so big and athletic is gonna have his knocks. It's just a lot of force for bones and ligaments to withstand. I dunno what the solution is, don't run and jump so much? Hopefully as his body matures, it'll be able to take the punishment better, he becomes more flexible, learns to fall etc... But dude is 7'2", 280 pounds, but still runs and jumps like a small forward. Maybe he can get some tips from Lebron or something.
Liberté, égalité, lotteré
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#15 » by Ericb5 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:25 pm

Highfive wrote:Doing yoga would help with flexibility. Tight weight lifting muscles are more apt to get injured when joints are accidentally bent in abnormal ways. A flexible body is less likely to get injured.

I also think that some gentle gymnastic tumbling exercises on a mat would teach him some falling or landing techniques.

Those are a couple of good suggestions that hopefully the Sixers will take a look at.

I want to take a second to remind people thought that Embiid is technically not an injury prone player. He just has had a couple of stress fractures. He isn't one of these guys that is constantly getting minor injuries in random places like an Anthony Davis or Ryan Mathews type.

Granted, stress fractures are really bad injuries, and have a bad history in sports, but he doesn't have a history of muscle, tendon, or joint injuries. I think that we all hold our breath when he falls, but that is mostly psychological I think.

I'm not sure if there is anything to do to change the way he plays, and keep him from falling on the floor per se. I like the idea of yoga and tumbling exercises though.
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#16 » by cksdayoff » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:03 pm

embiid's knees scare me. when i see him move around the court, his legs wobble if that makes any sense. i cringe when i see him do any sort of change of direction which can't be helped. i'm being paranoid, i know. yoga doesn't seem like a bad idea.
#failforfultz
76ers
Bench Warmer
And1: 773

Post#17 » by 76ers » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:01 pm

cksdayoff wrote:embiid's knees scare me. when i see him move around the court, his legs wobble if that makes any sense. i cringe when i see him do any sort of change of direction which can't be helped. i'm being paranoid, i know. yoga doesn't seem like a bad idea.

I noticed this too, and feel the same way.

It's hard not to worry about the dude.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#18 » by Simmons25 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:31 am

To me it looks like when he jumps it's almost like his body forgets that it needs to get into position to land. He has very awkward landings. The one the other night where he blocked a guy and then landed on both feet with his knees basically in a locked position... as if he was landing on a soft trampoline :o it's an ACL waiting to happen.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#19 » by LloydFree » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:30 pm

Take ballet lessons and learn how to land from jumps.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down

Return to Philadelphia 76ers