ImageImageImage

Game 21: Denver Nuggets (7-13) @ Philadelphia 76ers (4-16) - 7:00 PM ET

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

JojoSlimbiid
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,229

Re: Game 21: Denver Nuggets (7-13) @ Philadelphia 76ers (4-16) - 7:00 PM ET 

Post#181 » by JojoSlimbiid » Tue Dec 6, 2016 2:58 am

phifans wrote:If I remembered correctly we played like we can take this game pretty easily until the first half of the second quater before coach Brown outsmarted himself (again) to think its a good idea to break his ordinary rotation by sitting Embiid almost the whole 2nd to break his rhythm and to see if Nuggets can come back before half time break. And no surprisingly he succeed on both.

This was a noticeable mistake from Brown and it frustrated the hell out of me. Not only did Embiid lose rhythm we completely loss the lead. I don't know if it's Embiid making us look more competent or not but it's a lot easier this year to see mistakes made by the coaching staff. As the talent level of the team increases I expect these mistakes to compound even more.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#182 » by Sixerscan » Tue Dec 6, 2016 2:59 am

76ciology wrote:
76ciology wrote:
phifans wrote:Also noticed its intersting that Saric has hold the worst +/- of the whole team two games in a row.
Just saying.

He'll be referred as "empty stats" by analytics.

DRTG:
On Court: 123
Off Court: 87

Yikes

Maybe we need to take a look at his long term position. Maybe he's more of a 3 (something a few of us have been saying during offseason). He's allowing +15% FG% at the rim.

Hasn't he played the 3 more the last two games with Covington out than the entire year before that?
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#183 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:00 am

LongLiveHinkie wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:
LongLiveHinkie wrote:
So what should I realistically expect from the Sixers, since every time I expect something people keep telling me I'm expecting too much?

Should I just turn on a game and expect them to keep it within 20 points I guess? I don't think asking for more than 4 wins to this point is really asking all that much, but I guess it is. At least according to many.

They didnt lose by 20...they were actually up a majority of the game, which has been the script in quite a few games. Down the stretch, when your missing Okafor and Noel.... and your best player is limited to 20 minutes or so, its going to be tough to close out games and sustain leads with Hollis Thompson, TJ McConnell and Nik Stauskas playing.

The positive I take away from the games, is that when Embiid is playing, we have been competitive. And thats surrounded by pretty much misfits. Insert Simmons, some type of talent in the forms of Okafor/Noel/Trade and then maybe we can close out some of these games.

So, I'll ask you. If I'm expecting too much, what should I be expecting then overall? How many wins by season's end? How many by the mid-way point? How many by new year?

Being "competitive" is too vague.

I couldn't give you a number, because I dont know what will happen in the coming months.

When does Simmons return? Noel?

Does Noel/Okafor get moved?

Does Embiid remain on a minutes restriction all year?

Way too many variables to factor in. At the end of the day, you take away from the games whatever you wish. I wish we would win every game too, but ill take hanging with teams for 4 quarters with a D league supporting cast around Embiid on a minute restriction as a step in the right direction. If we are blowing games like this and losing nightly with Simmons/Embiid then ill start becoming frustrated.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#184 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:02 am

Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:
76ciology wrote:

DRTG:

Yikes

Maybe we need to take a look at his long term position. Maybe he's more of a 3 (something a few of us have been saying during offseason). He's allowing +15% FG% at the rim.

Hasn't he played the 3 more the last two games with Covington out than the entire year before that?

I believe so. Could be a coincidence of more minutes/usage but he has had his 2 best statistical games the past 2 games Cov has been out. Could be worth tinkering with......it isn't like we are winning or blocking anyone with talent.

Sergio/Covington/Saric/?/Embiid.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,685

Post#185 » by 76thBearCub » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:03 am

JojoSlimbiid wrote:Pretty frustrating game tbh. I think that huge time on the bench in the second killed Embiid rhythm and led to frustration. Don't really understand the thinking behind being so protective about fouls for someone who is on minutes restriction anyway.

I don't get the point of this either. His minute limit is 28 and he played like 9 in the first half I think?

It's not like he is going to play 19 minutes in the 2nd half anyway. (Not like we are scared of the L in the column either.)
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#186 » by LongLiveHinkie » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:05 am

PhilasFinest wrote:
LongLiveHinkie wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:
They didnt lose by 20...they were actually up a majority of the game, which has been the script in quite a few games. Down the stretch, when your missing Okafor and Noel.... and your best player is limited to 20 minutes or so, its going to be tough to close out games and sustain leads with Hollis Thompson, TJ McConnell and Nik Stauskas playing.

The positive I take away from the games, is that when Embiid is playing, we have been competitive. And thats surrounded by pretty much misfits. Insert Simmons, some type of talent in the forms of Okafor/Noel/Trade and then maybe we can close out some of these games.

So, I'll ask you. If I'm expecting too much, what should I be expecting then overall? How many wins by season's end? How many by the mid-way point? How many by new year?

I couldn't give you a number, because I dont know what will happen in the coming months.

Way too many variables to factor in. At the end of the day, you take away from the games whatever you wish. I wish we would win every game too, but ill take hanging with teams for 4 quarters with a D league supporting cast around Embiid on a minute restriction as a step in the right direction. If we are blowing games like this and losing nightly with Simmons/Embiid then ill start becoming frustrated.

Well, that's my point. I am taking away from these games that we've had many close ones so far to start the season, and every time we blow a close one with horrendous and inexcusable mistakes, and go scoreless for 5 minute stretches in crucial parts of the 4th quarter, and I get annoyed, people always tell me I'm asking too much. And I find that annoying, because I think wanting my team to win more than a couple games every month is not asking too much at all.

No matter how low you set the bar, people want you to keep setting it lower. And eventually it's like well why even watch if you aren't supposed to expect anything from watching the games? Remember, tank season was supposed to be over. This season wasn't supposed to be about wins, but it was supposed to be about progress. Aside from Embiid's individual domination, as a team effort, we are seeing very little.

My win projection(pre-Simmons injury) was actually on the low side. I predicted 21 wins. A lot of people had high 20's. And looks like even I will be high with my prediction. Disappointing.
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#187 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:09 am

LongLiveHinkie wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:
LongLiveHinkie wrote:

Well, that's my point. I am taking away from these games that we've had many close ones so far to start the season, and every time we blow a close one with horrendous and inexcusable mistakes, and go scoreless for 5 minute stretches in crucial parts of the 4th quarter, and I get annoyed, people always tell me I'm asking too much. And I find that annoying, because I think wanting my team to win more than a couple games every month is not asking too much at all.

No matter how low you set the bar, people want you to keep setting it lower. And eventually it's like well why even watch if you aren't supposed to expect anything from watching the games? Remember, tank season was supposed to be over. This season wasn't supposed to be about wins, but it was supposed to be about progress. Aside from Embiid's individual domination, as a team effort, we are seeing very little.

My win projection(pre-Simmons injury) was actually on the low side. I predicted 21 wins. A lot of people had high 20's. And looks like even I will be high with my prediction. Disappointing.

Hey I'm with you man, I'm disappointed too.It sucks....but I certainly don't think they took into account Simmons breaking his foot or Noel needing knee surgery with the whole "progress" thing. Hard to do anything when you lose your teams most promising piece before he has played a game.

A healthy Simmons on this team, or even Noel on the floor for stretches when Embiid is out and we are probably flirting with almost 10 wins instead of 4.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#188 » by LongLiveHinkie » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:13 am

PhilasFinest wrote:
LongLiveHinkie wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:

Hey I'm with you man, I'm disappointed too.It sucks....but I certainly don't think they took into account Simmons breaking his foot or Noel needing knee surgery with the whole "progress" thing. Hard to do anything when you lose your teams most promising piece before he has played a game.

A healthy Simmons on this team, or even Noel on the floor for stretches when Embiid is out and we are probably flirting with almost 10 wins instead of 4.

Hey, I'd like to agree with you, but I'm at the point where until we changes coaches, I'll believe it when I see it. If they prove me wrong, great, I'll love it. But under Brett Brown the personnel has changed, but the results and issues remain exactly the same. Bring in Simmons and I still think we'll figure out a way to screw up down the stretch.
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#189 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:17 am

LongLiveHinkie wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:
LongLiveHinkie wrote:

Hey, I'd like to agree with you, but I'm at the point where until we changes coaches, I'll believe it when I see it. If they prove me wrong, great, I'll love it. But under Brett Brown the personnel has changed, but the results and issues remain exactly the same. Bring in Simmons and I still think we'll figure out a way to screw up down the stretch.

What real "personnel" has changed though?

I agree dude has had some consistent mental lapses, but nobody in the entire league has played with less over the course of the last few years than Brown. This roster was BUILT to LOSE. We drafted to develop assets not players and continued to do so until we either found a trade for a star player or landed one via the draft. Unfortunately, It took multiple swings and said player missed 2+ years of basketball and the other broke his foot before the season started.

I dont think Popovich would be winning 30+ games with a McConnell, Ish Smith, Hollis Thompson and Nik Stauskas logging 30 minutes and being relied on for production.

This team has little to no compatibility in terms of roster construction and is riddled with injuries to its "best players". If Simmons comes back,we continue to blow and finish the season with the worst record....id bet BC pulls the plug quickly and brings in a new face.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#190 » by Foshan » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:19 am

JojoSlimbiid wrote:
phifans wrote:If I remembered correctly we played like we can take this game pretty easily until the first half of the second quater before coach Brown outsmarted himself (again) to think its a good idea to break his ordinary rotation by sitting Embiid almost the whole 2nd to break his rhythm and to see if Nuggets can come back before half time break. And no surprisingly he succeed on both.

This was a noticeable mistake from Brown and it frustrated the hell out of me. Not only did Embiid lose rhythm we completely loss the lead. I don't know if it's Embiid making us look more competent or not but it's a lot easier this year to see mistakes made by the coaching staff. As the talent level of the team increases I expect these mistakes to compound even more.

So this was frustrating to me also, but something that was said at the half time report that (kinda) made sense: Joel had 2 fouls, so Brett wanted him to be able to play the majority of the 2nd half without having to worry about foul trouble (if he picked another one up in the 2nd quarter.

While I hated Joel sitting, and it probably cost us the game. Here's the thing, Joel does have foul trouble, so its realistic to think their will be games when the minutes restriction is gone, where he's going to have to sit due to fouls and still get himself mentally back into the game so when he comes back out he's useful. I'm totally fine with this being a practice run for Joel to see what happened, be frustrated about it, watch the video, and improve now. this is the learning curve season, imo. Joel/Saric/Simmons (eventually) get to kick the rust off, start to figure eachother out... add a high pick, next year playoffs :D
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#191 » by LongLiveHinkie » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:20 am

PhilasFinest wrote:
LongLiveHinkie wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:

I agree dude has had some consistent mental lapses, but nobody in the entire league has played with less over the course of the last few years than Brown. This roster was BUILT to LOSE. We drafted to develop assets not players and continued to do so until we either found a trade for a star player or landed one via the draft. Unfortunately, It took multiple swings and said player missed 2+ years of basketball and the other broke his foot before the season started.

I dont think Popovich would be winning 30+ games with a McConnell, Ish Smith, Hollis Thompson and Nik Stauskas logging 30 minutes and being relied on for production.

Pop may not win 30+ with this roster, but I guarantee you he wouldn't have won 10 last year and even if he had Manor College's roster, wouldn't have been 1-30 last season in the first 31 games. With this roster I think Pop has about 8 wins, maybe 9.
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#192 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:23 am

LongLiveHinkie wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:
LongLiveHinkie wrote:

Pop may not win 30+ with this roster, but I guarantee you he wouldn't have won 10 last year and even if he had Manor College's roster, wouldn't have been 1-30 last season in the first 31 games. With this roster I think Pop has about 8 wins, maybe 9.

There also aren't Pop's sitting around unemployed looking for work. At the end of the day, players win games....and a BIG reason we have sucked so badly for the past few years is based on the players on floor and not the guy holding the clip board on time outs.
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#193 » by phifans » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:27 am

Foshan wrote:
JojoSlimbiid wrote:

So this was frustrating to me also, but something that was said at the half time report that (kinda) made sense: Joel had 2 fouls, so Brett wanted him to be able to play the majority of the 2nd half without having to worry about foul trouble (if he picked another one up in the 2nd quarter.

While I hated Joel sitting, and it probably cost us the game. Here's the thing, Joel does have foul trouble, so its realistic to think their will be games when the minutes restriction is gone, where he's going to have to sit due to fouls and still get himself mentally back into the game so when he comes back out he's useful. I'm totally fine with this being a practice run for Joel to see what happened, be frustrated about it, watch the video, and improve now. this is the learning curve season, imo. Joel/Saric/Simmons (eventually) get to kick the rust off, start to figure eachother out... add a high pick, next year playoffs :D

I dont agree with it. If a young guy has some foul problem just let him learn from playing game not try to "protect" him by sitting him on the bench. If he doesn't fix this problem you can sit him the entire second and he may still got some quick fouls at the begining of second half which makes you to bench again.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#194 » by Sixerscan » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:32 am

LongLiveHinkie wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:
LongLiveHinkie wrote:

Pop wouldn't coach this roster if you paid him $1 billion.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#195 » by spikeslovechild » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:34 am

This roster while not good by any means is alot better then Brown makes it look.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#196 » by CoreyGallagher » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:36 am

Read on Twitter

Had to cover a different shift today so I couldn't watch, but saw this on twitter and it made me sad.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Post#197 » by 76ciology » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:40 am

Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:
76ciology wrote:

DRTG:

Yikes

FWIW, he also guarded Galo or Chandler when Nuggs went smallball to end the 1st quarter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Post#198 » by 76ciology » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:44 am

spikeslovechild wrote:This roster while not good by any means is alot better then Brown makes it look.

We are one of the top in 3pts and assists. But I'd guess our guards are among the worst on individual defense and attacking the rim.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#199 » by LongLiveHinkie » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:58 am

PhilasFinest wrote:
LongLiveHinkie wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:

There also aren't Pop's sitting around unemployed looking for work. At the end of the day, players win games....and a BIG reason we have sucked so badly for the past few years is based on the players on floor and not the guy holding the clip board on time outs.

I agree, but I didn't bring up Pop. I think with most other coaches in the NBA. Pick your random name, even coaches I consider mediocre. Stan Van Gundy, Frank Vogel, Dave Joerger, I think we have at least 7 wins. Almost double. I can't prove that, that's impossible to do, but it's just how I feel.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,410

Post#200 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Dec 6, 2016 4:14 am

We're somewhat better this year right? I mean.....Embiid is playing finally. I think Stauskus has improved, I like TLC, Saric, Ersan, Bayless, and Okafor. I really want to see what Ben Simmons can do. It looks like we're headed towards a top three pick yet again. I know I hate losing, and it's been what? Five years now? Four of just God awful atrocious tanking? Watching these games is like watching pick up ball in a rec league. Guys don't care, nobody plays with any emotion besides Embiid. I mean....at times the team is engaged and we are temporarily competitive, but it dies once Embiid leaves the floor.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers