Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Re: Farewell Hollis Thompson 

Post#61 » by dorkestra » Thu Jan 5, 2017 12:54 am

phifans wrote:
dorkestra wrote:
HT43 wrote:Wonder how much of a difference this makes in relation to TLC's minutes.

Hopefully a big difference. Free TLC.

They could simply free TLC by benching Hollis. I honestly think its nothing to do with TLC. Its more like TLC's development made them thinking Hollis is expandable right now and his roster spot should be used to fill some other needs.

I don't think that's the reasoning. I think it's an advantageous side effect.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
ratrac
Sixth Man
And1: 706

Post#62 » by ratrac » Thu Jan 5, 2017 1:14 am

In a totally different sense, he was the image of The Process. End of an era. He was the only one who co-drove the tank for four years (Nerlens didn't play in the first). Sad to see him go, but it was not unexpected (to be honest, I didn't expect to happen mid-season). I'd bet he will find a place soon.
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,828

Post#63 » by XtremeDunkz » Thu Jan 5, 2017 1:18 am

I am actually sad to see him go. He has been here for so long. Never hated Hollis.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#64 » by Ericb5 » Thu Jan 5, 2017 1:23 am

XtremeDunkz wrote:I am actually sad to see him go. He has been here for so long. Never hated Hollis.

Nothing wrong with him other than he isn't a good enough basketball player to play so many minutes in the NBA. It was specifically having too many guys like him that made this team so bad.

The team needed to be bad during the tank era, but that era is over.

We now need to build around our franchise players. I hope we don't replace him with random 10 day contract guy. I'm really sort of puzzled about this move though.

He would be my next cut, but why cut him before we need the roster spot for someone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#65 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jan 5, 2017 1:32 am

Ericb5 wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:I am actually sad to see him go. He has been here for so long. Never hated Hollis.

Nothing wrong with him other than he isn't a good enough basketball player to play so many minutes in the NBA. It was specifically having too many guys like him that made this team so bad.

The team needed to be bad during the tank era, but that era is over.

We now need to build around our franchise players. I hope we don't replace him with random 10 day contract guy. I'm really sort of puzzled about this move though.

He would be my next cut, but why cut him before we need the roster spot for someone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can sign guys to 10 day contracts starting tomorrow. Probably want another point guard with Bayless and Sergio out.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,509

Post#66 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Jan 5, 2017 1:33 am

Meh, I hope he catches on somewhere. This team in the past has been guilty of falling in love with mediocre to below average players. Sad to see him go, but glad to see us actually have the balls to cut ties.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#67 » by PhilasFinest » Thu Jan 5, 2017 1:57 am

10 day point guards?

Briante Weber, Quinn Cook

Lamar Patterson is a swing who's tearing up the D league scoring wise right now.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,718

Post#68 » by 76thBearCub » Thu Jan 5, 2017 2:36 am

Should've gave him a chance to play with Simmons and Embiid on the night of a full moon. Now we will never know.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#69 » by sixerswillrule » Thu Jan 5, 2017 2:53 am

He was the last Sixer who played in the 2013/14 season! End of an era, sort of.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,531

Post#70 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 5, 2017 3:21 am

Hollis would have been great if this team is further developed. He'll be really useful spacing the floor for BS, alongside Biid and shooters.

Anyway, I hope the best for Hollis. Truly a professional in every single game ever since he played for us. It also seems he's got a great personality and from what I've seen he's one of Jah's closest teammates.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#71 » by Skates » Thu Jan 5, 2017 3:21 am

It would have been a classy thing for a team way under the salary cap/floor to cut him after his contract was guaranteed for the year. I don't see the need to keep Hollis on the team a long time, but I also don't see how penny pinching on your longest tenured player is really a good team chemistry thing either.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Post#72 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Jan 5, 2017 3:29 am

Skates wrote:It would have been a classy thing for a team way under the salary cap/floor to cut him after his contract was guaranteed for the year. I don't see the need to keep Hollis on the team a long time, but I also don't see how penny pinching on your longest tenured player is really a good team chemistry thing either.

Elton Brand got 980k for his preseason work. Hollis just got cut and lost half of that.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#73 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 5, 2017 3:42 am

P.S. I do take this as a good sign on the team's optimism for TLC
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#74 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Jan 5, 2017 5:22 am

This team is so cheap.
sixerguy
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#75 » by sixerguy » Thu Jan 5, 2017 7:33 am

76ciology
RealGM

Post#76 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 5, 2017 9:18 am

Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#77 » by Foshan » Thu Jan 5, 2017 9:38 am

Skates wrote:It would have been a classy thing for a team way under the salary cap/floor to cut him after his contract was guaranteed for the year. I don't see the need to keep Hollis on the team a long time, but I also don't see how penny pinching on your longest tenured player is really a good team chemistry thing either.

Didn't Hinkie do something similar with guys who got cut getting paid well for their limited time? or am i miss remembering.

((Not trying to make this about him))
F-Stop
Sixth Man
And1: 85

Post#78 » by F-Stop » Thu Jan 5, 2017 11:24 am

Best guess Hollis - Miami bound
Shame to see you leave b/c Sergio and Bayless injuries.
Hollis was just starting to move without the ball. A few backdoor cuts here and there and that veteran slide step into a catch and shoot jumper (had to slide so he could catch the bad pass).
Make them respond to your way of playing not the other way around
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#79 » by Skates » Thu Jan 5, 2017 3:32 pm

Foshan wrote:

Didn't Hinkie do something similar with guys who got cut getting paid well for their limited time? or am i miss remembering.

((Not trying to make this about him))

Every team does it, especially to guys with larger dollar figure non-guaranteed contracts, when the team has cap issues and most often it is a first year fringe guy who just isn't cutting it and they need roster space. My comment was specific to Hollis a guy who played hard here for three plus years on a minimal contract, didn't get into trouble, maximized his limited talents and is playing on a team way m, way below the cap. Sure Hinkie could be cold at times with guys that he ran through the roster, but he also knew to use our salary floor, gotta spend it anyway cash in ways that made the team seem player friendly. Pappy Jack getting signed the year he blew up his achilles and giving him a guarantee minimum despite knowing he would get cut that year comes to mind.

Neither thing is a big thing and the team has every right to do it, but sometimes the small things matter and a bit of severance for a long time good soldier like Hollis would have been nice.

As I recall the guarantee date was pushed back maybe a decade ago from mid December to January because teams were getting bad PR for cutting guys right before Christmas, so PR optics are part and parcel of such cuts.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,723

Post#80 » by the_process » Thu Jan 5, 2017 3:39 pm

Has BC held a presser yet to explain this?!?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers