Tank 4: Okafor returns as Tank Commander

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,050

Re: Tank 4: Okafor returns as Tank Commander 

Post#61 » by Sixerscan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:04 pm

Okafor is awful and I don't want to talk about him anymore. Or at least until he becomes not awful.

Unfortunately he's probably going to play 30 mpg until jo comes back.
Slizeezyc
Senior
And1: 106

Post#62 » by Slizeezyc » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:28 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:Also if Okafor was moved for peanuts, people would be bitching about that too. All these NBA2K fantasy trades for superstars involving Noel and Okafor have clouded perception. The value simply is not there around the league, and add in the situation in Philly w/ a log Jam and it lowers the bargaining chips even more.

You seem to be ignoring the overwhelming response of the good posters and here and commentators around the league. No one smart faults BC for not getting more for either player--that was likely out of his control--they fault him for panicking and cashing Noel in for almost nothing instead of sussing out the RFA situation. Is getting a couple of 2nds better than nothing, if Noel gets a max in RF we don't want to match? Barely, since we already have way way too many 2nds for them to be of value now (we don't have roster spots left). Doesn't seem worth the bother when we don't know if a) Embiid is really healthy b) how much Noel would command.

Also, yeah I would complain if Okafor was traded for peanuts because he's very inexpensive for two more years. He's not good now and I'm not upset people aren't giving good assets for him, but there's no compelling reason to trade someone for nothing when he's 21 years old and cheap for a while. The criticism everyone's making is about timing, not about assets.

Pretty much this. The only thing I would add as one caveat is that it was out of his control because he didn't deal with it sooner and just take a "worse" but not "this bad" return during the summer. He misread things, and so he panicked a bit.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,705

Post#63 » by the_process » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:47 am

Okafor is going to lead his unstoppable tank squadron all the way back from certain doom to tanking victory!
jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Post#64 » by jbent87 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:19 pm

It's been a little too quiet around here after the game Okafor had Saturday night vs the Knicks. 28 and 10. An And 1 that wasn't called late in the game that wouldve made it a 2 pt game instead of 1, which wouldve lead to OT instead of Melos GW.

If Okafor can finally figure out that "10" part of his game - everyone appreciates and admires his offensive game - this guy could become a real player, and Bryan Colangelo will look like the smartest guy in the room for not selling him at his lowest value. Let's put our agendas and pom poms aside and pull for this guy the last 20something games here. As much as we love Nerlens, Embiid and Simmons, this guy is who we have. And he's gotten ripped to shreds, a little more than necessary lately (THIS, is absolutely pathetic: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattisonave/Sixers-Jahlil-Okafor-NBA-trade-deadline-time-for-his-empty-chest-cavity-to-be-gone.html).

So let's try and pull for this guy as its only going to help us as a team going forward. Whether he's here long term or not.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#65 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:38 pm

jbent87 wrote:It's been a little too quiet around here after the game Okafor had Saturday night vs the Knicks. 28 and 10. An And 1 that wasn't called late in the game that wouldve made it a 2 pt game instead of 1, which wouldve lead to OT instead of Melos GW.

If Okafor can finally figure out that "10" part of his game - everyone appreciates and admires his offensive game - this guy could become a real player, and Bryan Colangelo will look like the smartest guy in the room for not selling him at his lowest value. Let's put our agendas and pom poms aside and pull for this guy the last 20something games here. As much as we love Nerlens, Embiid and Simmons, this guy is who we have. And he's gotten ripped to shreds, a little more than necessary lately (THIS, is absolutely pathetic: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattisonave/Sixers-Jahlil-Okafor-NBA-trade-deadline-time-for-his-empty-chest-cavity-to-be-gone.html).

So let's try and pull for this guy as its only going to help us as a team going forward. Whether he's here long term or not.

I like Okafor as a person. I'm pulling for him to ball out hard these last few games and hoping a desperate GM takes a chance and give us a late first for him. That's wishful thinking though. The reality is he will probably only get us a second round pick.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#66 » by TTP » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:40 pm

I don't appreciate and admire his offensive game.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
jbent87
Veteran

Post#67 » by jbent87 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:01 pm

TTP wrote:I don't appreciate and admire his offensive game.

You don't appreciate that this move has a near 100% chance of drawing a foul or getting 2 points? Why? Are you married to your agenda that much?

jbent87
Veteran

Post#68 » by jbent87 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:02 pm

The rest of the highlights. This game was peak Jah, as it also included rebounds. This isn't a player you give away for free. Period. Is it sustainable? I don't know, and hopefully we gain clarification on that over the last 20 some games down the stretch here.

TTP
Head Coach

Post#69 » by TTP » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:09 pm

jbent87 wrote:

You don't appreciate that this move has a near 100% chance of drawing a foul or getting 2 points? Why? Are you married to your agenda that much?

You said offensive game - not ability to score 1 on 1. Offense is more than scoring. He's an awful passer, not effective in PnR, can't space, and doesn't know how to position off-ball.

Also you claim that move has nearly a 100% chance of getting a foul or two points, but both his career FTr and his FG% within 3 feet are lower than both Nerlens and Richaun.

Most importantly, his game does not result in good team offense. Basketball is not a 1 on 1 game.

Unbreakable99
General Manager

Post#70 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:10 pm

jbent87 wrote:The rest of the highlights. This game was peak Jah, as it also included rebounds. This isn't a player you give away for free. Period. Is it sustainable? I don't know, and hopefully we gain clarification on that over the last 20 some games down the stretch here.

I don't think most people are saying to give away for free. Many just acknowledge we won't get much in return. And we most likely won't unless some GM Vlades it up. Getting a second rounder isn't giving him away for feee but we must be realistic about his trade value. It's very low. He will get us a second rounder most likely.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,773

Post#71 » by Skates » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:11 pm

The three keys for Okafor on offense are:

1. Make quick decisions and decisive moves when you get the ball, no pounding the rock. Shoot, drive/make a quick and/or power move, or pass the ball back out and reset deeper or roll.

2. Make 70+ percent of his foul shots.

3. Bang the offensive boards. Just being active on the boards tends to see him playing more physically and actively, which he doesn't do in his stinker games.

Defensively just be mediocre and defensive rebound consistently. Our constant switching style of D really isn't helpful to Jah and vice versa.
jbent87
Veteran

Post#72 » by jbent87 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:30 pm

TTP wrote:
jbent87 wrote:

You said offensive game - not ability to score 1 on 1. Offense is more than scoring. He's an awful passer, not effective in PnR, can't space, and doesn't know how to position off-ball.

Also you claim that move has nearly a 100% chance of getting a foul or two points, but both his career FTr and his FG% within 3 feet are lower than both Nerlens and Richaun.

Most importantly, his game does not result in good team offense. Basketball is not a 1 on 1 game.

thats all well and good. But he just put up 28 and 10 in a game we lost at the buzzer. I don't care about if he's an ideal "team" player. The team almost won a game with him shouldering a load and this league is built on superstars, not team offense.
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#73 » by shawn_hemp » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:32 pm

Hopefully Jah plays well enough for the rest of the year that we can package him with 2nd round picks to move up in the draft.

That last bucket against the Knicks was definitely a foul too. Would have liked to win that game.

There's certain teams I will never want to lose against. Boston, New York, actually that's pretty much it.
TTP
Head Coach

Post#74 » by TTP » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:43 pm

jbent87 wrote:
TTP wrote:
jbent87 wrote:

thats all well and good. But he just put up 28 and 10 in a game we lost at the buzzer. I don't care about if he's an ideal "team" player. The team almost won a game with him shouldering a load and this league is built on superstars, not team offense.

1 game means very little to me. Even moreso when the opposing team is another bottom 10 team that was sitting its two front-court starters. Counting stats mean very little to me as well, especially when they don't contribute to team success.

The offense has been putrid when Okafor is on the floor throughout his 1.5 years here. To state that everyone appreciates and admires his offensive game is simply incorrect.

I care about the Sixers getting wins, not about whether Okafor gets his numbers.

rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#75 » by rzzzzz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:26 pm

really like his heart when the team made their run at the end of this game. and i don't forget some of the battles he had his rookie season. that's what you call ceiling. now just because he had a great game, can't expect his knee is suddenly 100%. w/o any clarity from the FO, just hoping his knee can recuperate 100%, and he can start developing from where he was before he hurt it last year. meanwhile, he's back to the role Sam drafted for, insurance. hopefully Embiid's injury will also recuperate 100% with time, 'cause let's face it, HE'S the franchise. neither Jah nor Noel were ever going to provide this team with the stunning talent and dominance of THE PROCESS
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#76 » by 76ciology » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:28 pm

Embiid's out. Jah get us a top 3 pick.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Unbreakable99
General Manager

Post#77 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:30 pm

It's on you Jah. You got the juice now. Lead us to the promised land of a top 3 pick. I will love you forever if you do that for us.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,420

Post#78 » by Eyeamok » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:32 pm

The biggest step Okafor can take is being consistent and being engaged. He will play games like Saturday and I'll say, is he starting to figure it out. Then the next few games he chits the bed.

if he could incorporate these two attributes into his game he would be on his way to being a much better player.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,742

Post#79 » by Sixersftw » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:33 pm

76ciology wrote:Embiid's out. Jah get us a top 3 pick.

Unbreakable99 wrote:It's on you Jah. You got the juice now. Lead us to the promised land of a top 3 pick. I will love you forever if you do that for us.

You know he's gonna turn into early Duke, post-God, Jah for like 10 games now? Not enough to make him much more valuable, but just enough to **** us.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#80 » by 76ciology » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:34 am

Mastermind by Hinkie

Jah will get us the top 3.

Biid&Simmons will take care of the championship trophy.

BC will make sure it's going to be a dynasty.

Trust the Process
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers